Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1222
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Author
Nomada_Firefox

Rep: 32.9
votes: 9

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:21 pm Post subject: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mods Reply with quote

Probably many of you feel how GTC was the last CC with the old engine and because it adds more additions than others, it was the best for modding. However, GTC was locked to many changes and it looks as if it was a deliberated act.

It adds these limits:

Stratmap.txt, the file where you add the settings for the strategic map, it has several numbers of lines coded. By this reason if the values at these lines are moved to other lines, the game will crash. You can not add more or less lines than in the original file. By this reason, probably you can not add more of 30 maps and the strategic map should not add more of 54 connections. If add less connections, you can not delete the non used lines from the 54 stocked connections.

Elements.txt, other file were the rows are coded and linked to the exe, if you add a new element, edit one or some more far from edit the name, the game will not load.

Just these two files will prevent that all the modding community create a full mod too different to the original.

At the end, personally, it is a piece of shit for modding. Because even if you add a mod with 30 maps, with no more arrows, you can not use a different elements file and by this reaso, if you maps from other previous mod or game, you must edit the elements from it, a lot of additional work which it could be easier if they had not added these stupid limitations.

leadtag101

Rep: 42.6

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:15 am Post subject: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Reply with quote

Stupid Jackwagons, I wonder if that means The Bloody first will not be Mod able as well??

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:00 am Post subject: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Reply with quote

Unfortunately Steve (and Matrix) have stated they are making games and not a game building tool.

This means features from previous CC games that are not being used in the current game are NOT tested and may or may not work.

For the Bloody First Steve has stated in the Matrix forum there isn't a way yet to add new vehicles graphics.

Stwa

Rep: 308.9
votes: 16

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:14 am Post subject: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Reply with quote

leadtag101 wrote (View Post):
Stupid Jackwagons, I wonder if that means The Bloody first will not be Mod able as well??

More than likely.

Hey Firefox,

Can you share the source of this determination that you have made. Because, if true, it will affect modding in a major way.

What we have now, since the re-releases, is state sponsored modding.

That is where Matrix, wants to produce a mod, like GJS or Stalingrad. So they find a reputable modder from the community. And, they may not pay this modder a salary. Instead they may offer a contract to the modder which specifies a percentage of sales from the title that is being modded.

Well, I digress, never mind anything associated with money. It maybe that the state sponsored modders will be presented with procedures that will allow them to navigate or solve situations like the ones presented by Firefox above? Who knows, it just all seems strange to me.

Manoi

Rep: 89.5
votes: 7

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:49 am Post subject: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Reply with quote

Nomada_Firefox wrote (View Post):
Probably many of you feel how GTC was the last CC with the old engine and because it adds more additions than others, it was the best for modding. However, GTC was locked to many changes and it looks as if it was a deliberated act.

It adds these limits:

Stratmap.txt, the file where you add the settings for the strategic map, it has several numbers of lines coded. By this reason if the values at these lines are moved to other lines, the game will crash. You can not add more or less lines than in the original file. By this reason, probably you can not add more of 30 maps and the strategic map should not add more of 54 connections. If add less connections, you can not delete the non used lines from the 54 stocked connections.

Elements.txt, other file were the rows are coded and linked to the exe, if you add a new element, edit one or some more far from edit the name, the game will not load.

Just these two files will prevent that all the modding community create a full mod too different to the original.

At the end, personally, it is a piece of shit for modding. Because even if you add a mod with 30 maps, with no more arrows, you can not use a different elements file and by this reaso, if you maps from other previous mod or game, you must edit the elements from it, a lot of additional work which it could be easier if they had not added these stupid limitations.

If you are right I think we have a big problem to continue the Stalingrad mod.. Crying or Very sad  I must admit I have not opened yet the GTC files. I will ask Steve or Cathartes about this limitation.

Nomada_Firefox

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:59 am Post subject: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Reply with quote

Tejszd wrote (View Post):

For the Bloody First Steve has stated in the Matrix forum there isn't a way yet to add new vehicles graphics.

Just, he told how the tool would not be released with the first version. I remember other game from Slitherine, Battle Academy and the tool was not released the first day and at most of the games, it happened. If they release the tool with other version from the game or a DLC, it should be enough. At end, BF will be a new and first, we will lose a lot of time learning other features as the map editor and how many people do you know here making 3D models? me? perhaps one more.

In the same point, BF has some features which they will let you lose your time making some new good mods:
-50/60 different 3D vehicles/guns (without count versions of them).
-Infantry can be painted from any nation and you can change the voices. You will see infantry too small and I´m sure how you will not recognize if a soldier carries a shotgun or a rifle.
-There is a complete map editor where you can export and I suppose import a layer from the ground and other with the objects. Perhaps even if it can be used with maps from older CC games and you can use it for create maps from the older CC games. At least the terrain.
-You can edit sounds, voices, textures, data. I do not see problems for even a mod from the Pacific because Japanese had very few vehicles, clearly you will be able paint guns and you can change all the other neccesary things and create the new maps.

Now these are my modding points about BF. If you think how I´m too positive, you do not know a shit about nothing. I have been asking about these things for one year and I´m critic when it is neccesary.

Quote:

Can you share the source of this determination that you have made. Because, if true, it will affect modding in a major way.

I have been modding GTC for some time and I have tested it before say nothing, I work with proofs and my mods should be enough proof about how I have tested it.

At my opinion, Matrix/Slitherine did not want see ports from the old CC games at GTC. At PTIF, I have been making some test and the elements.txt are codified and I did not lose the same amount of time than at GTC but I feel how the stratmap file has the same limits with one difference, at PITF there are 6 maps more and it accepts more arrows between other things more.

About other points, many of the modders we have been obsessed with always edit the last CC game because it was the game with the best changes and improves. It is true how PITF and GTC have some improves as the 32bits or some small additions as mount infantry at vehicles (only seen at CCMT) but mount infantry at vehicles was a very late released feature, now it is not fun, neccesary or useful. In fact I laugh me because we were waiting more and more changes in the IA but the IA is not better from WAR to GTC. Perhaps they added small changes but they are this, very small changes. Specially I have tested it because I have played the same mods at different games. I have made a lot of things which you do not know about them.;)

At the end, very probably it is more useful, better for players and better for all if we edit CCMT, WAR, TLD or LSA because they have been more time here, they run better, they have not these stupid limitations and they are more fun.

Drizzt

Rep: 121

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:16 pm Post subject: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Reply with quote

The Stramap file it’s a txt almost identical to TLD, if it’s really not moddable about number of maps it’s really unbelievable (in negative). It’s a .txt after all.
The small differences with TLD that I have found in stratmap.txt should be manageable, except probably these:
- Map UI strings. This should be the only real problem. There is a list of maps with the name that they have in the game (so not the names in maps folder and more above .txt). It seems Deep coded. But.. After a quick test, I have replaced the inside game map names with the real map names (map00, map01 etc.) and the UI have reappered in normal way. No crashes in starting campaigns or battles (5 minutes.. just a quick test). Real map names are the key to mod the game. If it works...
Bed9 need a "interim .bgm file" of 16 bit, then it works for Vlc.
I will take a better look in the next days.

Drizzt

Nomada_Firefox

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:36 pm Post subject: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Reply with quote

Quote:
- Map UI strings. This should be the only real problem. There is a list of maps with the name that they have in the game (so not the names in maps folder and more above .txt). It seems Deep coded. But.. After a quick test, I have replaced the inside game map names with the real map names (map00, map01 etc.) and the UI have reappered in normal way. No crashes in starting campaigns or battles (5 minutes.. just a quick test). Real map names are the key to mod the game. If it works...
Bed9 need a "interim .bgm file" of 16 bit, then it works for Vlc.

I believe how you are wrong. There is nothing heavily coded around the UI map strings. The problem is how the exe recognize some lines for some values and if you move these values, you receive a error.

I have made a complete strategic map with maps.

Drizzt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:50 pm Post subject: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Reply with quote

You say: "The problem is how the exe etc." = there is something deep coded. Not the UI, yes: I have changed the names as I have said. Just five minutes of testing... Not the "pure truth" of course.
So.. Why to "move" other values? Which values you mean? Look: I can verify it by myself, but you want share.. you save some of my time. Anyway, I will test these things only if I will have the certainty that maps can be augmented to 64. If not it's useless... (a .txt stratmap file without the possibility to augment number of maps? It's better to "lock" it as in CC5)

Drizzt

Nomada_Firefox

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:10 pm Post subject: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Reply with quote

If you want try with more maps, it is easy, just try import other CC game. Just you need convert the images to 32bits.

For me the game and the game is the exe, it has associated some rows to data from the stratmap. Specially you will see this change when you add data or less than the original file. It is a similar error to the data limitations from other CC.

But for me the worse limit is the elements.txt, if you do not use the original elements with no more changes than the names of the elements, you will need code all your maps with this elements. At the end, a lot of additional time if you want convert old maps to this game.

Drizzt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:34 pm Post subject: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Reply with quote

Ok Nomada, thanks. These have sense: not to "move" but to add is the problem (also when it's less than original? Crazy). Yes, an old problem: I remember the only CTD I had modding Kharkov: the game (the stratmap.txt) declared max 128 arrows, but I have discovered that TLD supported only 127 arrows (from 0 to 126). I had created 128 arrows (all in the right way: connection + arrow gadget position) and I had only CTD starting the game: without an arrow all works perfectly. If GtC has this kind of limitation (constant CTD) caused by a fixed number maps it's the end of modding without a patch..
I will try to add a map just for confirm.

Drizzt

Stwa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:48 pm Post subject: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Reply with quote

But for me the worse limit is the elements.txt, if you do not use the original elements with no more changes than the names of the elements, you will need code all your maps with this elements. At the end, a lot of additional time if you want convert old maps to this game.

Nomanda Firefox,

If the worst thing is the elements file, then I would NOT find this a serious problem. First you could make an element translation table with Mafi's 5CC. Then with 5CC open a map from Stalingrad mod. And with a few mouse clicks all the coding could be auto translated. Then save the map.

I currently have maps from CC2, CC3, CC4, CC5, and BO in my map collection, and translated all of them to use CCMT coding. I even added the giant conifers, and the no-snow conifers.

Nomada_Firefox

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:18 pm Post subject: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Reply with quote

Tell me, how do you open a new elements.txt, one different to the originals, one at text mode with 5CC? it opens only asccii.

Stwa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:39 pm Post subject: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Reply with quote

OK, I am very confused now.

The game (GTC) element.txt file is not being modified. It is the values in the map.txt file that are being modified with 5CC.

Using the Data Bulk Replacement thingy  Arrow

Stwa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:16 pm Post subject: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Reply with quote

Furthermore,

You don't need 5CC to make the translation table. You can use notepad or excel for that.

So, on second glance, if this is all ya got, it just doesn't seem like a beeg deal to me.

As far as 30 maps goes, me thinks that is a good idea anyway.

Last edited by Stwa on Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Nomada_Firefox

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:17 pm Post subject: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Reply with quote

Let me explain. I have the maps from my War-ABTF mod. They use a edited elements.txt. How can I import this special elements at 5CC? if I can not import it, I can not make a translation.

Or can I ignore it and I can make the translation table manually and write to the left the War-ABTF values and to the right the new GTC values?

Stwa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:26 pm Post subject: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Reply with quote

Let me explain. I have the maps from my War-ABTF mod. They use a edited elements.txt. How can I import this special elements at 5CC? if I can not import it, I can not make a translation.

Or can I ignore it and I can make the translation table manually and write to the left the War-ABTF values and to the right the new GTC values?

You can make the translation table manually as you mentioned, or you can probably select some of the elements table and paste it into a column in excel, or import it into excel as a tab delimited file.

platoon_michael

Rep: 56.2
votes: 25

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:45 pm Post subject: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Reply with quote

Here is a list of the elements the game uses directly, and the indexes need to stay constant for:

Dirt
Mud
Shallow Water
Deep Water
Stone Fence
Dirt Road
Paved Road
Stone Wall
Muddy Road
Leaves and Dirt
Leaves and Mud
Branches and Dirt
Branches and Mud
Light Snow
Heavy Snow
Sand
Wreck
Wood Rubble
Stone Rubble
Brick Rubble
Large Hedgerow
Small Hedgerow
Huge Tree 1-4
Destroyed Bridge
Underpass

It's not that you cant have a NEW Elements file it just that those Elements HAVE to stay in the exact order of the game your editing.

I.E.
If Dirt is Index 10 in the Version of CC your editing it HAS To Stay at Index 10
Etc,etc for all the Elements I posted.
It Cant be Index 11,12,15 or whatever.

Same goes with Weapons.....
There are some indexes that are used by the EXE for fire support weapons in weapons.txt.

For WaR/TLD, these are:

0 - Hand to hand
1 - Hand grenades
2 - Secondary explosion (from exploding terrain)
19 - Mortar support
126 - Heavy Artillery / Naval Artillery support

For LSA these were all moved down to the front of the weapons.txt file:

0 = Hand to hand
1 = Grenade
2 = Secondary explosion
3 = Mortar support
4 = Artillery support

The number of teams in axteams.txt can be as high as 395! The 396th team crashes the game.

Stwa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:50 pm Post subject: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Reply with quote

ABTF sounds like a neat idea, and 5CC can scale them up too.

But, I have never known what the ground scale for CC2 was, because me thinks it is not 5 pixels per meter. It is less than that.

Can I interest you in doing an 8 map mod of Omaha Beach. Just the Beach Maps.

Those maps were done for CC5 so the scale was 5 pixels per meter, and 5CC should scale the graphics just fine, including the RFMs.

There are generally no trees on the beach maps, so we will not have to worry about terrain do-dads, except the flags.

If you could fix it where the Americans, who are landing on the beaches can have the maximum teams, you would have a butt-load of infantry running for the sea wall, while the Germans are trying to stop them. Would be really cool.

After the bgm file (for each map) is scaled by 5CC, you can export its bmp file, load it into Gimp, and use the sharpening filter if it is blurred from the scaling process in 5CC. Once sharpened, just import it back to the bgm using 5CC.

Drizzt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:11 pm Post subject: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Reply with quote

Elements in my opinion are free. Not fixed positions (der kessel works perfectly with shallow water in another position for example). There are no .exe special works for them (the elements in Michael list), so why fixed? Change names and values and that's all.
Elements.txt is the source, maps "drink" from the source, not the opposite. If there are non real changes in this file between different versions, to do a new element.txt from zero (or import it) should be enough easy. Another thing are trees elements: terrain ("terrain" it's the name of this file: it's moddable) graphic file must be "aligned" to these elements.

Drizzt

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat Gateway to Caen
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Jump to: