Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
Rypin

Rep: 3.1

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 5:47 pm Post subject: Mac Users Reply with quote

Hey Everyone!

I just came across CC5 for the mac using Paul the Tall's porting kit. Works a treat!

Are there any other mac users on here that are running this game through porting? I was wondering if anyone had success playing online?

Thanks!

mooxe

Rep: 221.1
votes: 25

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 7:03 pm Post subject: Re: Mac Users Reply with quote

Few and far between CC5 mac users. Used to be a crowd of CC2 mac users but most have moved on.

dj

Rep: 157.1
votes: 9

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:34 am Post subject: Re: Mac Users Reply with quote

Hey Rypin,

Not that many Mac users these days.  Mafi and others had a lot of followers for CC2 since that was the only version designed for Mac.  Otherwise Boot Camp on Mac runs most CC games for Windows.  I had issues trying to run original games and CoI via Boot Camp.  All the other rewrites ran good on Windows 7 via Boot Camp on my Mac.

Rypin

Rep: 3.1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:28 am Post subject: Re: Mac Users Reply with quote

Hey DJ,

I am running CC5 through Paulthetall's porting kit on my mac and it works perfectly.
No need for bootcamp or installing windows operating systems with this. I also was able to patch to 5.01a and installs the mods fine, Battle of the Bulge runs good.

The only thing I can't do is play online against others as yet.

Hope this helps any other mac users out there who are interested in the CC series again.

dj

Rep: 157.1
votes: 9

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:35 am Post subject: Re: Mac Users Reply with quote

True it would be nice to run on MacOS as is without having to reboot to switch to windows.  Slitherine just related PanzerCorps Gold for Mac runs perfect on MacOS as is.

Patton76

Rep: 0.1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:20 pm Post subject: Re: Mac Users Reply with quote

Rypin wrote (View Post):
Hey DJ,

I am running CC5 through Paulthetall's porting kit on my mac and it works perfectly.
No need for bootcamp or installing windows operating systems with this. I also was able to patch to 5.01a and installs the mods fine, Battle of the Bulge runs good.

The only thing I can't do is play online against others as yet.

Hope this helps any other mac users out there who are interested in the CC series again.

Hey Rypin,

Just discovered the porting kit a few weeks ago. I managed to install CC5 just fine, but can’t figure out how to install mods like GJS. You said you have installed mods...

Can you help me out here?

Also, I couldn’t figure out how to install Panthers in the fog with the porting kit. A long time ago I played these games within parallels, but I don’t have a working version anymore, nor do I have Windows. Being able to play CC just from the finder would be so great!

Thanks!
Dave

chessmaster

Rep: 33.1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:28 am Post subject: Re: Mac Users Reply with quote

You can run bootcamp on mac, so you can use windows program's on your mac.

Just reserve or make a partition with magic partion wizard. The demo is good.

Part of being a commander is knowing when to smile, make the troops happy
even if it is the last thing in the world you want to do

EagleEye

Rep: 14.5
votes: 1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:38 am Post subject: Re: Mac Users Reply with quote

I've used PortingKit to play the GOG versions of CC1 and CC2 on my Mac, the only issue is that the videos are not working, except for this works perfectly
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

pool31

Rep: 0.2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:50 am Post subject: Re: Mac Users Reply with quote

EagleEye wrote (View Post):
I've used PortingKit to play the GOG versions of CC1 and CC2 on my Mac, the only issue is that the videos are not working, except for this works perfectly

Just wondering if you remember how you got this running? I'e tried every possible variation of settings for PortingKit from Paul the Tall but simply can't get any of the GOG games working, CC2, CC3, CC4 or CC5. I travel a lot and have a MacBook Pro so no choice but to try and install on MacOS.

PortingKit looks like it should be so easy to install and run.

EagleEye

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:21 pm Post subject: Re: Mac Users Reply with quote

I don't remember exactly the settings because I've done it a while ago, but I've exported the wsi2 file for the porting kit to recreate it on your systemClose Combat 2 Porting Kit file
Let me know if it works

My YouTube Channel
My Discord Server for Close Combat Players
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

pool31

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:26 pm Post subject: Re: Mac Users Reply with quote

thank you so much EagleEye, really appreciate your generous help - I am soooo close but still not working! (I will list what happened not expecting a solution from you but others might find the problems I have faced useful to know)

Your wsi2 file got me very close, I had to manually install the GOG setup .exe file but after a couple of attempts that worked.

However I tried running CC2 and it said "unable to get format on Stream" - I think this is an issue with the intro videos that load first and it is well documented that these do not work - therefore I used the 'brute force' method of renaming the sounds.cc2 file as suggested by Phoenix on portingkit forum http://portingkit.com/smf/index.php?topic=947.msg3647#msg3647

That seemed to get past the initial problem but now it is asking for the CD to be loaded before it will run, so I am still stuck! The setup file is a GOG.com one bought yesterday, so I believe it is DRM free, I have tried various methods of creating a 'dummy CD' to try and fool the game but not joy yet.

Did you get that CD question as well?

pool31

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:20 pm Post subject: Re: Mac Users Reply with quote

finally got it working! I will post here I got round this specific problem, how just in case anyone else has similar issues.

1. I used the wsi2 file kindly provided by EagleEye in the post above - (it appears to be using an older engine WS9WineCX15.3.1)

however even then it kept asking for the CD to be mounted even though it was a legitimate DRM free version bought from gog.com

2. tried many different tweaks but nothing was working until I used an idea I read somewhere about the sounds and video being the problem (unfortunately can't remember where I read it so can't give due credit)

right click the CC2 app icon - show package contents and then in the C drive find the folder 'sounds' - in there is a file 'sounds.cc2' - rename it to something like 'OLDsounds.cc2'

then create a blank text edit file called 'sounds.cc2' in the same folder

I then ran the CC2 app and it didn't have the 'no CD warning', instead it said sounds have been disabled - once CC2 is running - press function F8 and the reactivate sounds but leave videos switched off

quit CC2

go back the to the C Drive and delete the blank 'sounds.cc2' file and rename the original back to 'sounds.cc2'

then it all seems to be working!!

22 years later, still probably the best game (although Firefight for iPad and iPhone is a good version as well)

EagleEye

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:07 am Post subject: Re: Mac Users Reply with quote

If I remember right I've used an easier solution:

after the installation if you select the Close Combat 2.app and press Cmd + Down it will open a menù, go in the Tools Tab > Registry Editor and find this path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Close Combat\2.00

Here find the option PlayVideos and set it to 0 and everything should work.

P.S.: If you want to adapt the screen resolution change ScreenX and ScreenY to the resolution that you wish, remember that if you change even the speed in the F8 menu ScreenX and ScreenY must be changed before the next start.

My YouTube Channel

pool31

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:53 am Post subject: Re: Mac Users Reply with quote

that's great, I had attempted to edit the registry file as one of my attempts to get it all working but didn't find that easy way to get to regedit - that is much simpler.

EagleEye

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:11 pm Post subject: Re: Mac Users Reply with quote

Hello, I've created a better WSI file for PortingKit, I've included some files to avoid manual tweaking of the registry and to set a custom resolution to run the game that is forced at game start without having to change it manually in the registry every time that you adjust the game speed:
Close Combat 2.wsi

Added even a Trailer video for the game and an in depth description to make it work.

Could you test it and let me know if it works?

My YouTube Channel

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess

Jump to: