Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1180
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
ScnelleMeyer

Rep: 190.3
votes: 18

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:52 pm Post subject: IED mod for maps Reply with quote

I would like to make mines and IEDs appear on a different spot each time I play a map. - I will of course make the mine graphic gadget invisible too.

My idea is to use some program like Word or Excel and then use some kind of formula or function that swaps out a certain number of the terrain codes (For instance "dirt road") for mine coding.

You could open the the relevant mapname.txt document in this program - have the formula place 1-10 mine elements of unknown exact location put the mapfile back to the game and play.
Then get surprised when your troops or vehicles actually hit an IED or mine.

So does anyone have any idea on how to implement this in a simple way?

mooxe

Rep: 221.1
votes: 25

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:16 pm Post subject: Re: IED mod for maps Reply with quote

Have a look at CCAT. Its implemented in that version.

http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/modules.php?name=Downloads&op=getit&lid=4240

ScnelleMeyer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:22 pm Post subject: Re: IED mod for maps Reply with quote

Thanks Mooxe I've got it. The mines in that one are placed as an object in the predeployment-phase. There are extra coding for it in the data files as well.
What I am after could be used on any mapfile if successfull.

mick_xe5

Rep: 19.4
votes: 5

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:39 am Post subject: Re: IED mod for maps Reply with quote

Paste the Mapname.txt data into the IEDit spreadsheet.
Select only the elements data (cells B9 to Qn)
Alt+F8 to open the macros dialog
Run the IEDit macro
Input the element value to be randomly IED'ed
Input the IED/mine element value
Input the number of element values to be randomly IED'ed
Save as Mapname.txt (Tab delimited)

IEDit.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  IEDit.zip
 Filesize:  14.79 KB
 Downloaded:  278 Time(s)

ScnelleMeyer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:59 am Post subject: Re: IED mod for maps Reply with quote

Fantastic Mick! - It works just as I imagined:)

You made up that spreadsheet so quick! Thanks a lot.
- This + invisible mines will create a new dimension in the game imo. Especially for more modern conflicts. Now you need engineers or flailtanks up front if you dont want to take losses to IEDs.

mick_xe5

Rep: 19.4
votes: 5

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:22 pm Post subject: Re: IED mod for maps Reply with quote

Nah, all I did was define your idea as Find->Random Sample->Replace. Then I outsourced creation of a VBA macro to an Excel help group. A helpful wizard there had a solution in under an hour.

One small hitch - the macro doesnt handle finding 0 so you cant replace a random number of 0 values (Grass Field) with X. If you want to seed grass fields with mines or whatever the workaround is to use Excel's Find/Replace function (using the 'match entire cell contents' option) to swap all 0 values with some unused value like 999 , run the macro to randomly replace 999 with X, then replace all remaining instances of 999 with 0 again.  

You can run the macro multiple times on the same Mapname.txt file to 'boobytrap' different terrain elements.

ScnelleMeyer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:58 pm Post subject: Re: IED mod for maps Reply with quote

Very nice work anyhow Mick - Smart move to outsource it to the Excel masters out there.

This will be perfect for the Soviet-Afghan mod!

Pete

Rep: 118.1
votes: 12

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:06 pm Post subject: Re: IED mod for maps Reply with quote

Interesting idea!

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis
(War is delightful to those who have no experience of it.)
Our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/buckandpete/
Our website: https://themodsection.net/

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:46 pm Post subject: Re: IED mod for maps Reply with quote

Nice work around by the community for something that could have been added into the exe for replaying ability fairly easy....

Pzt_Kanov

Rep: 14.2
votes: 9

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:22 pm Post subject: Re: IED mod for maps Reply with quote

What a great idea!

SchnelleMeyer, the CC vanguardist.

Tejszd wrote (View Post):

Nice work around by the community for something that could have been added into the exe for replaying ability fairly easy....

To be fair, this game system has been around for 20 years. Plenty of time to think about stuff that could have been implemented!

Should the element name "Mine" be edited too in the elements file? so it does not appear when using the right click mine detector... or is that too evil? And can different types of mines be added? never seen AT mines, just puny AP mines.

ScnelleMeyer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:23 pm Post subject: Re: IED mod for maps Reply with quote

Thanks Kanov! - The game system has a lot of potential - Now if people would start to play CCMAT - Things could get even more interesting with scripting in events like reinforcements etc:D

I did a little testing of the IED-mod today on an actual map. I have not yet removed the mine-graphic gadget.
I found a lot of dirt road elements had to be swapped out to make the actual mine graphics visible on the zoomed out map. Seems several (2 or more?) minefield elements has to be placed next to each other to initiate the graphic.
When only single mine elements where used - a team of soldiers could often pass the mine/IED without it triggering.

The current "minefield" element would not touch a tank, but could de-track an IFV like the BMP. It will seriously injure or kill soldiers.
I also tried placing the "small explodable" element next to a minelement - so when the mine is triggered a much larger explosion occurs - This will kill an IFV and several soldiers if nearby - Did not kill a T-55 in my very limited testing - But this has more potential..

Pzt_Kanov wrote (View Post):
Should the element name "Mine" be edited too in the elements file? so it does not appear when using the right click mine detector... or is that too evil? And can different types of mines be added? never seen AT mines, just puny AP mines.

I like this idea a lot Kanov - I will definately implement it in the Afghan mod!

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Modding Workshop

Jump to: