Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Author
Homba

Rep: 34.9

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:26 am Post subject: World Cup! Reply with quote

With TH forum down, I just had to continue my world cup spieling somewhere, so here it goes!

--------------

Well, I pick up UNIVISION on my antenna, and got it to come in good, taped both games. Avoiding scores all day, watched them tonight (selectively fast-forwarding), then caught the 2nd half of the basketball game. So now you know: I don't have cable or satelite TV or a DVR. I use the old fashioned antenna and a vintage VCR. I didn't grow up with cable, neither did my wife, and we watch enough TV as it is, so have just never sprung for cable. Miss ESPN, CNN, HIST, and some channels like that, but I get enough sports on EspnRadio and if we watched any more TV than we already do we'd be zombies.

Germany pounds Ecuador, we really see the disparity of talent - Germany dominates every phase of the game. If Ecuador wins their next game, I'll be surprised. Germany looked good again, but I would not call this a true test.

Paraguay dispatched T&T. No surprise there. But T&T can hold their heads high going home with the gutty draw against Sweden and the near draw against England.

Costa Rica has a nice free-kick goal against Poland, three men lined up beside the Polish wall, then dodged away at the last second as the kick came through, the keeper's view was shielded and the shot went in. But the Pols salvage a little pride with a win.

I correctly predicted the drawn result between ENG and SWE. Heh, but not for the right reasons. I was thinking England would combine both poor play and cynical play to aim for the draw, and I didn't think SWE would expose themselves to counter-attacks by going forward with much enthusiasm since a draw would advance them as well, but a loss could sink them.
Well I was wrong. This is my new match-of-the-tournament so far, topping the thrilling Saudi-Tunisia game. What a game, lots of attacking,on both sides, ENG had slightly the better of the possession with 55%, plus 14 shots (8 on goal) and 6 corners. But SWE put 6 of 9 shots on goal, dominated for spells of the game, and had a huge 12 corners from which they were very danagerous. What a goal by Joe Cole, about a 1% chance of scoring from out there, and he made the perfect kick! I've been really impressed by Joe Cole in the games I've seen.

The Swedes get a beautiful goal and hit the bar twice within the span of 10 minutes early in the 2nd half - all off corner kicks - wow! The game never slows down, England looks to win it with a goal in the 85th minute, but Sweden strikes again with either a corner or cross in stoppage time! Those two Swedes were lucky, they ran into each other both stabbing at the ball and one foot barely scraped it, I think either man alone wouldve finished strongly, but as it was the ball luckily trickled into the goal. But a well deserved goal to be sure. The draw was a fair result for great efforts by both teams. I'll look forward to watching them both in the next round. Too bad about Owen's knee, what a freak accident, from what they are saying it sounds like odds are he is quite possibly out of the tournament.

Tomorrow, Meixco and Portugal get to show if they are firing on all cylinders for the round of 16, though Angola could possibly bump out Mexico if Mexico loses in the same way Trinidad might've bumped out Sweden.

And Netherlands-Argentina! Two powerhouses, potentially a GREAT match! Can the Dutch stop the Argentine onslaught!?

H

June 21-

Portugal looked good. Mexico looked bad. Angola drew Iran and a very competitive game between ARG & NED, though without any fireworks. The Dutch will be a tough 2nd place opponent for someone.

June 22-

Today I skipped work to watch the US play Ghana. If you knew me, you'd know I'm not a complainer about refs. I barely argee that Dallas got hosed by the refs in the recent NBA Championship. I didn't expect the US to go far in this tourney, really didnt expect them to make it out of the group. Im not a US superfan, and I think Im capable of being unbiased. Just being objective - I think the US got horribly hosed by the ref on both Ghana goals. The first goal: Ghana man runs up to Rena who is in possession of the ball, smashes his kneecap into the side of Rena's knee and comes away with the ball. Rena crumples to the turf, Ghana man scores. That was a foul, folks. A very simple example of a foul. It was not even an especially inconspicuous foul. It was pretty much out in the open. How the ref didnt whistle that one, I dont know. Rena hobbled around for 10 or 15 more miniutes, then went out of the game for good. You can't smash someone in the process of getting the ball from them - the replay showed it was a clear foul. The ref whistles that, the subsequent goal is erased.

Second goal penalty kick call was a farce. I played for 20+ years, including 7 years for University teams and ref'ed myself, and you do not call a penalty kick -- least of all in a pro/worldcup game -- on that sort of bullshit contact out on the edge of the penalty box when there is no scoring chance. Let's look at what happened: the ball was popped up probably 100 ft in the air, coming straight down toward a US and Ghana player on the top edge of the penalty area. There was some bumping and the US guy headed the ball, then the whistle blew. The Ghana man never even had possession, or from what I could see 'position' or lease of all a chance to score! And the ref calls a F'ing PENALTY KICK!?!? Unbelieveable. It is not like the US guy charged in and rammed him out of an established position. They were both standing there waiting for the ball to come down. Those of you who know football will I think agree that that call was way out of line.

So the US lost. Without those two calls that led directly to goals, maybe they win 1-0. I can't say I've seen anything like it, where two calls (non-call & call) completely destroy a team.

That said, Landon Donovan, the US most well-known player, and supposed to be their star striker, had not scored a goal in the last 18 international matches. 18!!! Yeow. The US needs to find some better players.

Wow, I can only imagine how Boro is feeling right now, having to watch his Croats qualify twice with one-goal leads, and then have it twice ripped away by Aussie equalizers. The Aussies advance 2nd on goal differential (great effort, Aussies), and the Croats go home, doomed by a draw against Japan.

The other game I watched today, Japan v Brazil was fun, I heard Japan built its team around the Brazilian style of play, so it was sort of a master-student game. And low and behold the Japanese score first! And lead for about 20 minutes until Brazil nets one before half. What a happy 20 minutes those were for Japan, who went on to get clobbered 4-1, as expected. I cut it off with about 15 mins to go to finish watching my tape of the ARG-NED game. I think Brazil is very vulnerable.

Ukraine should qualify by beating Tunisia tomorrow. France will qualify 2nd in their group by beating Togo, winner of Swiss-Korea will advance first, loser GOES HOME! Unless they draw, then it become tie-breaker maddness between them and France, where if France beats Togo by 3, I think they'd qualify FIRST.

H

Thatoneguy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:15 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Good summary there and I agree that the US got screwed by the refs. But against Italy also they got screwed so that really sucks. But my second team was Portugal and they look really good right now beating mexico while sitting 6 starters out so even though the US is out at least i still have a team to root for. And frankly, I dont tthink Brazil looks like they are going to be able to win. I missed todays game, but I wasnt all that impressed by them in the other 2 games.

ANZAC_Tack

Rep: 22.3
votes: 1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:10 am Post subject: 1 word, Reply with quote

GO AUSTRALIA!

HISTORY HAS BEEN WRITTEN FOR THE RELATIVELY JUNIOUR'S OF THE COMP!

next stop, Italy, hope they run as fast as 1942!(sorry poor pun)

maybe take off the boots to run faster ;o)

hopfully, wont have to eat my boots with my words next monday!

espree de corp

pvt_Grunt

Rep: 98.5
votes: 5

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:51 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Good game against Croatia ! Bad news is I lost 2 of my team at work today to "Soccer Leave", the rest of us were just tired from lack of sleep. I suppose there were a lot of sickies today, maybe I'm just jealous? Mad

Glabro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:22 am Post subject: Reply with quote

...but talk about refereeing! I suspect that was the last time Graham Poll whistles in a World Cup game!

3 yellow cards to Simunic...stopping play just before Australia was about to win..

I suppose neglecting to penalize Tomas´ SECOND handling of the ball in the penalty area was compensated by the Aussies´ second goal being an offside!

Anyhow, glad to see our Australian mates go through!

Pete

Rep: 118.1
votes: 12

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:10 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the refereeing is awful. We have seen many great matches and many of them could have been even better if it hadn't been for those referees.
Before the tournament started it was announced that extra attention was going to be paid to arms and elbows raised too high. Fine, but this resulted in some pathetic decisions and furthermore many referees are whistling against insignifcant fouls and waving yellow and red cards for what?
Congrats to the Aussies. I hope they succeed in eliminating the Italians.

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis
(War is delightful to those who have no experience of it.)
Our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/buckandpete/
Our website: https://themodsection.net/

ronson

Rep: 36.7
votes: 5

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:27 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Great summary there Homba Smile ,

Its been a thriling competition so far and shows every sign of continuing to be.

The US team isn't so bad, look at that performance against the Italians.....showed them at their best I thought.....as good as the team from the last world cup when they put Mexico out, certainly had me on the edge of my seat.

I think it will take a team and half to stop the Argentine though, they have an excellent team this time, a good solid defence, potent strikers and a very fluid midfield and last but not least they play as a team.
The dark horse might be the Spanish, a fresh team of younger players with what looks like an urge to win and unafraid to take chances to do it.

But in the world of football you never know Confused maybe my (SV)..England Laughing will make it after all even without the mighty Owen....I can always hope Smile

Good luck to all the teams that are through, especially to Gambia and the Aussies, it's good to see fresh faces in the later stages. Many thx for the hours of entertainment to those that leave, just to reach the finals is an achievement in itself.

Cheers
Ronson

GR member Ronson1  ac 4247033

AT_MarkIVG

Rep: 0.5

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:12 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Its really good to see people from countries not usually associated with football (ok,soccer, if you must) getting enthusiastic about the world cup. Personally I can't see past Argentina as winners with Spain, the perenial underachievers, as the dark horse.

As a Scotsman I dont care, as long as it isn't England! And,before my English friends point it out, I am indeed a jealous,bitter jock and I do indeed have a huge chip on my shoulder but I also live in London and my life would be misery if the buggers won.

Keep up the analysis guys

AT_MarkIVG

king_tiger_tank

Rep: 0.1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:24 am Post subject: Reply with quote

did germany beat poland along the way Very Happy and is germany still in

What would H Jones do?

Homba

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:45 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I was not too interested in the games today, except the Swiss-Korea game. All the other games seemed to have a preordained result - France would beat Togo, Spain would smash Saudi, and Ukraine should have no problems with Tunisia. Swiss-Korea was unfortunately only on TELEFUTURA, which I guess is a sort of UNIVISION2. I dont get ESPN or ESPN2, so couldnt tape the one game I wanted to see.

The Swiss beat Korea 2-0, though Korea had a few more shots, more shots on goal, and slightly more possession. It was an even game where the Swiss got 2 in. Good for them, and too bad that the exciting Korean team will exit early. Get this - the Swiss are the ONLY TEAM in the Cup not to allow a goal in any of their first three games. Nice. WOW, the video highlights are a real treat, the first Swiss goal, the great header and the guy smashes his face on the Korean's skull and blood is everywhere! Some GREAT saves by the Swiss keeper too. Last bit of the video a great little backpass chance for Korea that just goes amiss. Good stuff, wish I'd have seen this game.

France must have had some nervous talk at half-time, still being tied with Togo! A draw would send France home! But they finally found some goals, and advance 2nd, as expected. I don't expect them to go anywhere now. They clearly aren't on form, and don't look like getting in form any time soon. Spain is on form, and should pound France in the Round of 16.

Closer games than I expected for Ukraine and Spain, but they both beat their lesser opponents.

Now come the knock-out games!

Here is the Round of 16 Bracket!

Tomorrow we have GER-SWE!!! Can't wait to see this one! Germany's first real test. They haven't played anyone really strong yet. Yes, they manhandled Ecuador, but I heard Ecuador only qualified for the Cup by playing all their home games at high altitude, they were able to beat both Argentina and Brazil this way, but only because those teams were out of breath after 30 minutes. They aren't bad, as they beat Poland and Costa Rica, but they aren't a GREAT team, as the game against GER showed. So now GER faces a real test. I'm going to pick GER to win by a goal, I think they're up to beating the Swedes.

Argentina v Mexico should be less interesting. After that drubbing by Portugal, Mexico appears to have problems. Argentina should win by 2 or more goals.

SUNDAY

ENG-ECU - I'm going to pick England becuase I don't think ECU has the quality to stop them as I explained above.

POR-NED - Anyone's game! I am going to pick the 2nd place Dutch to upset POR. Though it wouldnt surprise me if this one goes to PKs at the end - and if it goes to PKs, the Dutch will LOSE, because they are CURSED for PK sessions, and all Dutch fans know that recent history proves that.

MONDAY

ITA-AUS - I'd love to pick the Socceroos to go through, but I think Italy will find a way to win this one. Tough call though, I will be pulling for Australia.

SUI-UKR - I am going to pick the Swiss here. They keep their sheet blank with another shut-out and manage a goal or two. UKR has shown too many problems to get past a very competent Swiss team.

TUESDAY

Brazil is gona beat Ghana by two or three goals. No question. Ghana has a lot of raw talent but not the discipline to compete with Brazil.

Spain will beat France. Spain is peaking, France is struggling.

Happy football weekend everyone.

H

Pzt_XLegione

Rep: 20.1
votes: 1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:27 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

GO ITALY

first of all, the italians didn't run in the 1942 they stood and fought until the last man Wink
Remember Folgore and Ariete Division to EL ALAMEIN !!!!

and my austrialian friend, prepare to eat your boots next monday Smile

Ciao from Italy

Luft_XLegione

Homba

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:12 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Half time of Germany - Sweden. Well, my doubts are put aside now, the Germans are for real. They will be a force to be reckoned with in this Cup, and their likely collision with Argentina in the quarterfinals could be a classic match. I thought Germany would be up to win this game, and they are.

Just simply clinical play in front of the goal to go up 2-nil on a Sweden side that seemed not to have had their coffee this morning. I did expect more from Sweden, but Germany made them look slow and inferior.

However. Let me rage, for a moment, about the red card which totally sucked any remaining drama out of this game and sealed the Swede's fate. WHAT THE F!?!?!? What is this ref thinking to give that red card? What are any of these refs in this Cup thinking. They have uniformly sucked - bad.

How can the ref give a second yellow for that HARMLESS little arm-pull?
(1) the german didnt have a clear run at the goal/unopposed goalscoring chance.
(2) the foul was utterly harmless, free from risk of injury.
(3) it was barely a foul anyway, as the german player still got forward to the ball ahead of the Swede,
(4) by giving a red card at 30-ish minutes into the game with a 2-0 german lead already, the ref might as well blow the final whistle of the match - the Swedes really have no chance now. Only a miracle direct from the soccer gods could get the Swedes to a draw (and penalty kicks) now.
(5) It is almost as if the ref believed that once a player has a yellow card, if they commit another foul of any sort, a second yellow comes out - BUT THIS ISNT THE RULE!!! It has to be a foul WORTHY of a second yellow!!! An EGREGIOUS foul, a SERIOUS foul. What is wrong with these referees? It makes me sad that they are affecting the Cup in such a negative, unprecedented way.

So the ref showed the WORST POSSIBLE judgment in giving this red card. He ruined the game. He ruined it for all the people watching who wanted to see a dramatic soccer game.

Ah, a penalty kick just missed by Sweden, well they are really done now - maybe the ref tried to give them a little gift, I did not see the foul. Will have to watch on the replay. Going to go continuing cleaning my house and keeping one eye on this spoiled match.

H

king_tiger_tank

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:49 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

germany all the way man.YAY Deutschland!
:german

What would H Jones do?

Homba

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:56 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

End of regulation in ARG-MEX - well, I was wrong about Mexico, they looked Argentina's equal in this match! What a bang-bang start, 1-1 then no more goals. But the gods smiled on Mexico at the very end, the Argentines were not offside (as the replayed showed) on a goal in the 93rd minute, but the linesman wrongly raised his flag. EXTRA TIME HERE WE GO!!!

king_tiger_tank

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:11 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

i would love it if mexico beats the powerhouse argentina

What would H Jones do?

Pete

Rep: 118.1
votes: 12

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:09 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Argentina-Mexico was a great game and Mexico would have deserved a victory. Now it's Argentina-Germany and I admit that I am actually feeling a little sympathy for the Germans. Don't know what's happening to me but I have enjoyed their matches and wouldn't mind at all if they would become the new world champions Shocked Laughing

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis
(War is delightful to those who have no experience of it.)
Our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/buckandpete/
Our website: https://themodsection.net/

Heeresarmee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:12 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Well since us Dutch are now history in a match with about 20 yellow and 4 red cards all that is left for me to say is; GO SOCCEROOS!!! Go Hiddink! Wink

ANZAC_Lord4war

Rep: 3.5

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:55 pm Post subject: mmm Reply with quote

well it monday morning here in sydney
and strangely quiet for start of working week.
guess people have taken time off work and r sleeping in for tonights match
Australia vs Italy
every1 here is excited,2nd time ever at the world cup.
last one was in 1974 coincidentally also at Germany.
for us to qualify into world cup was a major victory in itself.
then for us to make last 16,there is nothing to explain that.
Tonight we know we are playing a genuine world power in soccer,wether they in bad form or good form,underrate them at ur own peril.
But were going into the game to win and more importantly the fans believe it to.

Forget words,actions will show your true ambitions!The Battlefield,In many cases, the terrain of a battlefield can be the best resource a commander has. A clump of trees, an abandoned house, or a drainage ditch can all be powerful tools in the right hands

Antifa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:30 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Well in the quarters it's Germany against Argentina -- the Argentinians play cunt ball. They are dirty and they spend most of their time rolling around on the pitch pretending to be injured. When they do actually stand up -- they play like a band on thugs and usually injure the opposing teams players for real -- they suck -- they should be banned from international play. In any case, I hope they lose to Germany and then die in a plane crash at sea (well I hope they survive the crash but get eaten alive by sharks)

Portugal is not as a bad but today we all learned that Ricardo is portuguese for "cunt" -- but I'm pretty sure I won't have to hope to hard that they will lose to England.

For the remaing contests to get into the quarters:

It would be nice to see the Aussies and the Ukrainians but I am betting on the Italians and the Swiss.

Spain will beat France and after a meteor explodes over the stadium unlessing a swarm of Brazilian-eating flying pigs, Ghana will win, if that doesn't happen Brazil will win. Very Happy

Homba

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:42 am Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great shot by the Argentine to win the overtime game against Mexico. GER-ARG should be great.

The ENG-ECU game this morning was very uneventful except for Beckham's masterful free kick. Neither side threatened much. I have to give Ecuador credit for playing well enough - if it wasnt for the free kick, that game wouldve gone to penalty kicks. ECU nearly had a goal after the English defenseman blundered a header that went backwards and fell at the ECU man's feet, only another defender who flashed in with a great effort deflected the shot into the bar. ENG showed no signs of finding any form, I think they'll be taken out by the Portugese in the quarterfinals.

POR-NED. This was a WAR. DEAR LORD!!! It was rivetting to the last, though not what I had expected to see. Who could've predicted this? I'm not sure it's fair to say the ref "lost control of the game" - you keep control of a game by calling fouls and giving out cards, also to some extent by talking to players (which this ref didn't do too much of). Both teams were playing with such fire that the game just blew up. The ref did give the first two red cards for bad reasons. The first was for a supposedly intentional handball. Im not sure it was, but it certainly didnt stop any scoring chance or even much of an attack - i think it occured near midfield. A handball calls for a free kick, end of story. If in the ref's judgment a card is warrented for intent or stopping an attack or whatever, fine, but the ref's judgment was extraordinarily bad here. Then in the 2nd half, the first red card to the Dutch was bad too, an incidental elbow to the face, unintentional, just a brush, and the Portugese striker fakes a big hit to try to draw a card and even up the sides - and it worked. From there, things really degenerated, Im surprised punches weren't thrown. The headbutt that we saw should have got the portugese player ejected, but the ref didnt see it. Some of those shove-downs mightve called for ejections too. The cleets to the neck/shoulder area (very clear in live action and on the replay) of the Dutchman in the penalty box shouldve been a penatly kick or at least an indirect kick from that spot and a card, but amazingly the ref missed it.

I knew this would be a great game, probably the most evenly matched pairing of the Round of 16, but I didnt expect it to escalate to "total war." It was something else to watch. Too bad for the Dutch they had a lot of skill, but couldnt quite get a goal. Great goal and great effort by a really good Portugese side who I think will beat England. A shame that in such a potentially great match, the referreeing is the headline, rather than the play.

Tomorrow AUS get their moment in the sun against Italy, good luck.

And two overachievers, the Swiss and Ukranians will battle to go even further than they've ever gone.

Both games should be good watching - and what games aren't at this point.

H

more: here is a good story by a british football writer on the Dutch game:
http://football.guardian.co.uk/worldcup2006/matchreport/0,,1806130,00.html
Included is this:
"So there may be no Figo or Ronaldo to add to Costinha and Deco for England to face."

Figo may get suspended by FIFA for the head-butt.
Ronaldo is hurt, unknown prognosis.

The other two of course were red-carded. I disagree with the author that Costinha's was just or correct.

Losing 4 starters does not bode well for Portugal against England, except that with the way England is playing, it may not matter. Im not as wild about Portugals chances any more though - but I'll still give them 51% chance of winning.

H

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jump to: