Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1224
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
Pzt_Mac

Rep: 3.4

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:38 am Post subject: Force Strength Bar - You think you know? Reply with quote

So I've been thinking about the Force Strength Bar recently.

Anyone who has played CC5 long enough knows to take the Force Strength Bar (FSB) with a grain of salt. Only through close inspection of both sides can you really determine if a battle is balanced. however, we all probably give a quick glance to the colored bar as it can give a relative idea of how balanced the BG's are before a match.

However, what does this apparently very important indicator (*the game designers must have thought that it was very, very important since they placed it on the main screen smack in front of your eyes) really mean?

Well, I don't actually know.

I think that it is only an indication of BG strength, not who owns what portion of what map. So, it may be far in favor of the the allied BG, but you wouldn't neccesarily choose the Allied side based on the FSB if they're attacking into a German held map, for example.

I'm no modder, but I assume that every unit has a numerical value attached to it (e.g. Ersatz Team 10pts, Firefly 70pts, etc.), which is where the AI Engine get's the FSB scale.

But the real question comes when weighing a single battle to an operation, and the axis against the allies.
My logic goes like this -
If you choose a battle to play, and the FSB favors, say, the Germans: You play the one battle, and then the game is forever over. The Allies never had a chance to hit the reinforce button, so the FSB clearly must not include reinforcing in it's equation of strength.

However, let's say you're playing an Op, and again the FSB favors the Germans. But now you have several days ahead of you and as the Allies you know you can hit the reinforce button, and after studying the BG's, you can pretty much tell that the Allies will win with sheer numbers, if not skill.
So, for an Op, does the FSB take into account reinforcing?

I don't know, but it doesn't seem like it would. Or maybe it does, so it is naturally faulty to rely on the FSB while playing only a single battle.

Or perhaps I'm misreading the FSB altogether.

What's your opinion?[/i]

ANZAC_Lord4war

Rep: 3.5

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:12 am Post subject: mmm Reply with quote

oh yer it works.
and it is always for an op or gc
not a single battle.
can use for single battle
but it is worked out on total fpools.

Forget words,actions will show your true ambitions!The Battlefield,In many cases, the terrain of a battlefield can be the best resource a commander has. A clump of trees, an abandoned house, or a drainage ditch can all be powerful tools in the right hands

Pzt_Mac

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:30 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. So does it take into account the Allies being able to reinforce?

RedScorpion

Rep: 11.7

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:56 am Post subject: Reply with quote

yah Wink

Ceci tuera cela

ANZAC_Lord4war

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:00 pm Post subject: mmm Reply with quote

i dont think it does.

Forget words,actions will show your true ambitions!The Battlefield,In many cases, the terrain of a battlefield can be the best resource a commander has. A clump of trees, an abandoned house, or a drainage ditch can all be powerful tools in the right hands

Pzt_Mac

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:01 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, well, well. So, it's up in the air then Wink

ANZAC_Lord4war

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:50 am Post subject: mmm Reply with quote

it doesnt include the reinforce.
in the air nothing :p

Drizzt

Rep: 121
votes: 9

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:01 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

By my experience I can say that bar force strenght refer only to "starting 15 teams" IA default of a BG. Try to create a BG with 400 tanks and 15 snipers and set as default the 15 snipers as starting 15 teams: you will see in the game that your BG will be very weak in bar force strenght even if you have 400 tanks in your force pool. If you set 15 tanks as starting teams the BG bar force strenght will be very strong for you (the opposite BG is not important: one or another one is the same thing in this example). Regards Drizzt

ANZAC_Lord4war

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:51 am Post subject: mmm Reply with quote

sorry i didnt notice u had replied.
but its definitely total fpool.even on single battle.
and to mac im not sure if the reinforce is included
but i dont think it is,im not going to do the sums to give u a definite
i just trust my hunch.Smile

Drizzt

Rep: 121
votes: 9

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:14 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, but is difficult agree for me: have you have tried to do the small example I have done?
Another example: When I have finished to re-work my mod data I have seen that in GC force bar strength was a little bit in favour of germans: I wanted it a little bit in favour of russians. Have I modified forcepools? No. I have modified starting 15 teams of some BGs: I have pull off 1 tank in starting 15 teams of german armored Bgs and I have add some guns instead of MG teams in some russian BGs starting 15 teams. At the end of these I have force bar strength a little bit in favour of russians. I think that GC and operations force bar strength are the adding of Bgs "starting 15 teams" used inside them.
Anyway is only my personal experience, maybe can be that both things (starting 15 teams, forcepools) are involved: I don't know. Regards, Drizzt

Pzt_Mac

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:14 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. It sounds like Drizzt is on to something here since he's done the testing, but I look forward to what you find Lordy.

I doubt it could be both. And now that I'm thinking about it more, in the Op editor screen, the colored bars above the BG's heads actaully tell force strength (in reg, utah, stal, and some other mods). So I could see that the Force Strength Bar may just have to do what's on the plate at the time. However, this doesn't seem usefull as the units that you start with aren't going to be the ones you pick in the end most likely...

ANZAC_Lord4war

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:51 pm Post subject: mmm Reply with quote

oh i done testing Mac.nothing to look forward to
as ive already told u
but alas i present u no proof
i have nothing to prove.(well if u keep teasing i may prove it)
u follow Drzzt direction its a solid theory,just not the case as i know it.
u will realise i was right.Smile

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat 5: Invasion Normandy

Jump to: