Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1213
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
 Author
AT_Stalky

Rep: 27.4
votes: 10

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:25 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah, been many books..
I found a good book about east front. Its written by Kurt von Tippelskirch, in 1951? (Swedish version printed in 1956).

Kurt von Tippelskirch was appointed Staff for Intelligence in the Army General Staff (OKH) and worked analyzing intelligence data connected to Germany’s campaigns of the war and Operation Barbarossa. He was later appointed to other command functions as war went on.

It may be hard to fined but it a buy recommendation if one stumble on it, and price isn’t to high.

montichan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:52 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished Sean Naylor's Not a Good Day to Die: Operation Anaconda. Smile

Bungarra

Rep: 137.6
votes: 5

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:27 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

1918 The year of Victories. by Martin Marix Evans pubilished 2003

It tells of the battles that year starting in the desperate attempt by Ludendorf to use his 52 divisions rushed form the eastern front to attack and drive a wedge to the sea between the British and French armies before America could bring enough forces to bear to tip the balance in favour of the Allies. With the objective of forcing forcing them to the peace table.

It could be a classic What if scenario many times over.

The scale in terms of lives lost is hard to comprehend 238 page book 5-10,000 dead and wounded for each page.

I guess it was enevitable that the industrial might of the Allies would eventually overcome the blockade starved Germany. But 52 divisions with their Artillery is a pretty good reserve. It is interesting to note that near 2 million men were taken from the german ranks with influenza of whom 180,000 by that time under nourished men died, 400,000 German civilians also perished.

It also tells of the Americans blooding in battle and how they halted the last German offensive. They then went on the offensive themselves.

The scale of lives lost, the gas, the high explosive, it was no doubt Hell on Earth.

For What?.......is it natures way of Culling Mankind?. Hate to say it but I think so

You know if you don't live it.... You can't give it.

AT_Stalky

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:06 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a gem of a book, in Swedish unfortunaty, but anyway,

Föreläsningar Öfver Krigskonsten (Lectures about the art of war)

Printed in 1839,
It cover the latest in war developement and statistic analyzis, and and and and... 407 pages of the Swedish latest military thoughts and also description and analyzes of the main European armys new tactics and how they worked in latest conflict and new untested tactics and conclusions about em.
Im drewling, and with the page glewed in back that can unfold like a big page with artilliry illustrating the latest and fastes way to handle artillery (the arthur claims they are best in Europe at this at the time"?")..
I just love it.... Another extreamly fun thing (for me) is that the book have belonged to a high military man born 1770 - dead 1843 and was in the end the commander of a army, and was in some of Swedens wars (russia), his ex libris (Bookplate) is inside the cover, and his markings/comments in the book, so I alos resershing him now....

If i have time i must make a seperate thread and scan some images and comments, this book is awsome, history of man who owned it is awsome... Im walking on clouds...

schrecken

Rep: 195
votes: 15

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:22 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

TOBRUK - Peter Fitzsimmons

Nice light easy read.... Fitzsimmons tries too hard to be a friend of the old "rats"

Picks up a few good quotes from diaries and letters home.

Hard to recommend , but not a complete waste of time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Therion

votes: 4

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:24 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

C.L. Werner - Blood for the Blood God - a Warhammer Fantasy novel.

Osprey - Moscow 1941
Polish versions of some of Osprey's books appeared on the market and (unlike some other products, for example games and music) their price was adjusted to local economy, so I bought one of them Smile .

Wonderland - my mod for Armored Brigade

Killing for peace is like fucking for orgasm.

Bungarra

Rep: 137.6

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:14 am Post subject: Reply with quote

3 PARA : told by Patrick Bishop

3 Para in Afghanistan 2006, published 2007

A classic read of modern combat told how it is. Paratroopers are meant for mobile warfare, their mission was to win hearts & minds in Helmand province where the Taliban had reasserted their presence. The deployment started well but ended being seige warfare from static positions in 4 towns. At the request of the Afghan government the Paras had to shore up the local Police authority. (ANP). Pretty hard to win hearts and minds when the local population despised the corrupt Police as much as the Taliban. Very disturbing for the soldiers to watch the ANP whisk young boys away, molest them and watch them clean themselves up in the river. The Paras were constantly attacked in their static bases but repelled them all with the help of air support and sheer grit. The problems of resupply from the air with a limited number of Chinooks. Road resupply was always ambushed by the Taliban who though poorly trained would not let up. The Paras took casualties dead & wounded but thy gave it back 100 fold. They were so sucessful that no more young Afghany men would join the Taliban for they knew it meant death. Taliban reinforcements were Pakistani who trekked across the desert. It descibes the 1000 yard stare from being in continual combat night and day with minimal rest. Of patrolling every day, you know you are going to be ambushed you just don't know where. Seeing your mates go and wondering if you are next. The Political wrangling where the soldiers are the pawns. In the end half the towns were flattened repelling the daily attacks, the local population fleeing. So much for the good will

I recommend it as it does tell it like it is and I dips my lid to the professioalism of all the allied soldiers & airman of NATO for they are doing a tough job not made any easier by the powers that be. Its easy to say go here do that but in reality it is far from easy. They do their job more than well because they really are A band of bothers

You know if you don't live it.... You can't give it.

AT_Stalky

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:04 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Not a book review made in 2,5 month. Hmmm, have we just forgot to post, or have we stopped reading?  Shocked

Men, I assume we all gone read a book or a pile of books this summer. Lets make a short review here in this thread and share some opinions about em books.
This thread is read 6000+ times, so your opinions and recommendations is appreciated by the community.

Happy summer reading men, and dont forget to wright a few lines about the book(s).  

S

Last edited by AT_Stalky on Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Wonder9

Rep: 0.2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:24 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

An Army at Dawn by Rick Atkinson

Covers the US army's North African campaign in WWII from Operation Torch to the capture of Tunis. Very insightful read about some of the early difficulties experienced by American troops and commanders when they were green and untested in battle.

Almost finished with it and soon to start on The Day of Battle by the same author. Covers the Sicilian and Italian campaigns.

mooxe

Rep: 221.7
votes: 25

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:37 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Cutthroats - The Adventures of a Sherman Tank Driver in the Pacific.

Robert C. Dick

non-fiction

Good book, 247 pages. Funny to. Authro describes how horrible it was to drive an M3 Stuart, awkward controls, bad intercom communications, no space to move.... When they get the Sherman is was better but still pretty awkward. havent read up to the combat portion of this book but so far its very entertaining. A story right from the veterans mouth.

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

Tippi-Simo

Rep: 53.1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:29 am Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

End of this year I hope that I have finished all Dostojevski´s novels.

"Du talar dalig svenska, men du är bra i sängen"

tripwire

Rep: 37.5
votes: 2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:48 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Re-reading all of John Le Carré's novels.

Into 'A Small Town in Germany' right now.

Infidel

Rep: 25.4

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:51 am Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

I'm reading Black Hawk Down, the true story.  It's about 100% better than the average quality film is.  Loving it.

papa_whisky

Rep: 42.2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:33 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Panzer Leader. Guderian, Heinz (1952) Sets out very clearly why Nazi Germany lost the war against the Soviet Union, and an interesting insight into German military thought.

tripwire wrote (View Post):
Re-reading all of John Le Carré's novels.

Into 'A Small Town in Germany' right now.

I have read all of his books and enjoyed them all

tripwire

Rep: 37.5
votes: 2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:20 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Yeah, Papa W., he just keeps getting better in his writing.

Have you read his last two?  'The Mission Song' and 'A Most Wanted Man'? Extremely well-made stories and very insightful world-views woven into deeply personal character interplay.

papa_whisky

Rep: 42.2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:50 am Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Yes I have read them all, and many of them more than once. I like Carre's politics, enjoy the company of his partially dysfunctional characters, and his observations on human nature. I agree he just gets better.

Ivan_Zaitzev

Rep: 56.1
votes: 3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:36 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Finished reading "Pegasus Bridge" of Ambrose, and I can´t take the bridge in TLD!  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

The real Close Combat starts when you are out of ammo.
Have you hugged your AT Gun today?
My Youtube Channel
http://closecombat2.blogspot.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Infidel

Rep: 25.4

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:53 am Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Haha I'm defending it in GJS, I may dig out my copy and read it next now you mention it.

Therion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:29 am Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Gerald Astor - The Bloody Forest: Battle for the Hurtgen: September 1944-January 1945
A truly grimdark book about one of the bloodiest battles of the Western Front. Lots of personal accounts make it a-must-read for a Close Combat fan.
Too bad I have to return it to the library...

Also, I have found a something very rare today - Rajmund Szuba?ski - Pancerne boje wrze?nia (Armoured combat of September) - a book about Polish armoured units during the september campaign.

Therion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:30 am Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Gerald Astor - The Bloody Forest: Battle for the Hurtgen: September 1944-January 1945
A truly grimdark book about one of the bloodiest battles of the Western Front. Lots of personal accounts make it a-must-read for a Close Combat fan.
Too bad I have to return it to the library...

Also, I have found a something very rare today - Rajmund Szubanski - Pancerne boje wrzesnia (Armoured combat of September) - a book about Polish armoured units during the september campaign.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Jump to: