Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1213
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Author
blazej

Rep: 0.1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:58 am Post subject: Tactics: AT guns + tanks Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm fairly new to CC, and CoI is the first game of the series I've played. I have a question regarding AT guns. I can't seem to be able to use them properly. Here's a typical scenario.

I'm playing Russians in an early-war scenario. I have one AT gun at my disposal. I position it so that it has a good range, and as soon as a German tank enters my range, I fire the gun. Result: the gun gets spotted, and is destroyed almost immediately.

Question: what is the best strategy to use with AT guns?

I also have a question regarding the way the AI controls tanks. I've just played a scenario where a German AI-controlled tank appeared at the beginning of the game to take out my AT gun (see above), and just after that disappeared for 20 minutes or more. The tank reappeared only at the end of the game but instead of taking all victory points one by one (easy task given that I had no AT capability at that point) it kept running in circles.

Question: what's wrong with the AI-controlled tanks in CoI?

Best,
Michal

CSO_Talorgan

Rep: 72.5
votes: 1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:39 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Senior Drill already answered this over at the CSO but I use slightly different tactics. AT guns are defensive weapons, so try keeping them well back to "cut the head off the enemy's spear" i.e. knock out unsupported enemy tanks which have penetrated too far and are marauding in your rear.

AT guns are usually capable of limited movement, can see much better than buttoned up AFVs and have a faster rate of fire. Try hiding one where it overlooks an objective flag (or the route to one). Let them come close and wait for the target to present its flank or rear.

AT_Stalky

Rep: 27.4
votes: 10

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:12 pm Post subject: Re: Tactics: AT guns + tanks Reply with quote

blazej wrote:

I also have a question regarding the way the AI controls tanks. I've just played a scenario where a German AI-controlled tank appeared at the beginning of the game to take out my AT gun (see above), and just after that disappeared for 20 minutes or more. The tank reappeared only at the end of the game but instead of taking all victory points one by one (easy task given that I had no AT capability at that point) it kept running in circles.

Best,
Michal

Hello,

Thats a valid question, that deserves an answer.

AT_Stalky

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:23 pm Post subject: Gun Vs Tank Reply with quote

This may be a general idea how to take care of tanks.

The tank drives into guns LOS, and tanks not facing in gun direction.
One may also have a infantry unit on opposit side to rattle some to draw tank attention, and you get several shots before tank may return fire vs gun.

GL

gunvstank.gif
 Description:
Gun vs Tank
 Filesize:  3.58 KB
 Viewed:  11010 Time(s)

gunvstank.gif

AT_Stalky

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:38 pm Post subject: Oh Reply with quote

One more thing,

If u come to love CC and got tired of the CC AI, try get a copy of CC5, (it does not cost 50$) and you will fined a nice living online multiplayer community.
Head to Head CC5 is the best there is!
Nice mods with strategy map that add extra to long term CC GC games at its best.
Razz

Therion

votes: 4

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:39 pm Post subject: Re: Tactics: AT guns + tanks Reply with quote

blazej wrote:

Best,
Michal

CC AI is retarded and seems to be able to work semi-correctly only on distances lesser than 250 meters.

Wonderland - my mod for Armored Brigade

Killing for peace is like fucking for orgasm.

AT_Stalky

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:18 am Post subject: Re: Tactics: AT guns + tanks Reply with quote

Therion wrote:
blazej wrote:

Best,
Michal

CC AI is retarded and seems to be able to work semi-correctly only on distances lesser than 250 meters.

Maybe the truth is so hard and bleak?
And for them, who fined that unacceptable, follow my advice a bow!

blazej

Rep: 0.1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:26 am Post subject: Re: Oh Reply with quote

AT_Stalky wrote:
One more thing,

If u come to love CC and got tired of the CC AI, try get a copy of CC5, (it does not cost 50$) and you will fined a nice living online multiplayer community.
Nice mods with strategy map that add extra to long term CC GC games at its best.
Razz

Any idea how / where I can buy CC5 these days? Though I've got to admit I prefer the eastern front...

Best,
Michal

Therion

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:10 am Post subject: Re: Tactics: AT guns + tanks Reply with quote

AT_Stalky wrote:

That's pretty ironic, how CC AI emulates human behaviour and directs men in squads but is unable to move its units 300m forward Smile .
It seems that Atomic assumed that everyone will play H2H and didn't care to create a working AI...

AT_Stalky wrote:

Too bad that this solution doesn't work for modders...

AT_Stalky

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:16 pm Post subject: Re: Tactics: AT guns + tanks Reply with quote

Therion wrote:
AT_Stalky wrote:

That's pretty ironic, how CC AI emulates human behaviour and directs men in squads but is unable to move its units 300m forward Smile .
It seems that Atomic assumed that everyone will play H2H and didn't care to create a working AI...

Maybe, or just adjust to it, play CC5 H2H online would be one option.

AT_Stalky wrote:

Theiron wrote:
Too bad that this solution doesn't work for modders...

What does that have to do with sad AI gaming vs fun H2H GC gaming online, in a CC5 community that actually have players ready to play more or less 24/7?

Last edited by AT_Stalky on Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

AT_Stalky

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:17 pm Post subject: Re: Oh Reply with quote

blazej wrote:
AT_Stalky wrote:
One more thing,

Razz

Any idea how / where I can buy CC5 these days? Though I've got to admit I prefer the eastern front...

Best,
Michal

Hi again

Maybe, either try used market, or buy new from here:
http://www.fusionretail.co.uk/product.php/112/3

About east front, try this in CC5:

CC5 Stalingrad Der Kessel :
http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=233
44 nice EF maps!

CC5 Stalingrad (City fight 1942):
http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=213
44 nice stalingrad maps!

Jaeger has another EF mod in the pipeline!

Enjoy!

Last edited by AT_Stalky on Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Therion

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:45 pm Post subject: Re: Tactics: AT guns + tanks Reply with quote

AT_Stalky wrote:
Therion wrote:
AT_Stalky wrote:

Maybe, or just adjust to it, play CC5 H2H online would be one option.

Tank patching in CC5 is bad for my blood prassure Razz .

AT_Stalky wrote:
What does that have to do with sad AI gaming vs fun H2H GC gaming online, in a CC5 community that actually have players ready to play more or less 24/7?

I think it's pretty hard to find someone that wants to play an unfinished mod H2H online Razz .

AT_Stalky

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:56 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt, intrest is Zero, thats about as many as play COI online I guess! :zzz

But then, FYI there are many finished mods in CC5, try CC5 GS game room, and you see plenty of ongoing CC5 GC play!

AT_Stalky

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:26 pm Post subject: Hmm Reply with quote

This reminds me of the old German general in Normandy, who gave some good advice to the recruits. I’m not sure, not that it matters at all, it’s a long time ago, but it went sort of like this, give or take:

“Son, if you see a green-ish airplane it most likely British, if you see a metallic-ish airplane its most likely American, and if you see no airplane it’s probably our's.“

If there is no H2H players at all, you’re probably in COI game room??

Therion

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:03 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get it. Why people still play CC5?

AT_Stalky

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:19 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, Neither do I.

The problem is not to stop play CC5, that is easy, the problem is not to start play it again.

I have stoped play CC5 several times, one time I stayed away for 3 month, but then I was drawn back again.

Addictive, perhaps?

I don’t know.

Therion

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:48 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh Smile ...
I never had any trouble with not starting playing CCV again Smile . I moved to CCIV long ago and recently I dropped all previous CC games in favour of CCMT.
I tried to start playing CCV today, but I found it inferior, especially the vehicle patching that makes me want to shout insults at vehicle drivers and poor menu graphics.

squadleader_id

Rep: 53.2
votes: 7

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:49 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Therion wrote:
Heh Smile ...
I never had any trouble with not starting playing CCV again Smile . I moved to CCIV long ago and recently I dropped all previous CC games in favour of CCMT.
I tried to start playing CCV today, but I found it inferior, especially the vehicle patching that makes me want to shout insults at vehicle drivers and poor menu graphics.

CC5 vehicle drivers need a helping hand...try using waypoints...just clicking them directy to the target location is not the way to go.
The AI controlled drivers, now that's a different matter Wink

AT_Stalky

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:52 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Therion wrote:
Heh Smile ...
I never had any trouble with not starting playing CCV again Smile . I moved to CCIV long ago and recently I dropped all previous CC games in favour of CCMT .

I guess, all things isn’t meant to be understood, sometimes it takes a totally non-understandable enigma to "explain" a complete puzzle.

Therion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:44 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

squadleader_id wrote:
CC5 vehicle drivers need a helping hand...try using waypoints...just clicking them directy to the target location is not the way to go.

I'm talking about how CC5 vehicle AI behaves even when using waypoints - there's nothing as irritating as clicking 10 meters slightly to the left of vehicle and having the vehicle sloooooooooooowly rotate in opposite direction. To me such thing is untolerable.

AT_Stalky wrote:
Therion wrote:
Heh Smile ...
I never had any trouble with not starting playing CCV again Smile . I moved to CCIV long ago and recently I dropped all previous CC games in favour of CCMT .

I guess, all things isn’t meant to be understood, sometimes it takes a totally non-understandable enigma to "explain" a complete puzzle.

That's simple - CCIV has less bugs and doesn't allow changing enemy battlegroups in campaign and gives preset units and CCMT has superior tactical gameplay and on some maps better graphics - also it doesn't try to be a strategic and tactical game at the same time.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat Cross of Iron
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jump to: