Stalingrad: Operation Circle, or simply SOC, is the result of 14 months of hard work. Everything did not go as easy as I would have wanted. But I strongly believe that the 1.0 version that you will find on the server is already close to the quality you are expecting.
Stalingrad: Operation Circle, also known as Operation Ring or, in Russian language, Koltso, relates the last period of the Stalingrad battle, between January 10th and February 2nd, 1943. The mod begins with the devastating attack of the Kessel in the morning of January 10th, on all the northern, western and southern fronts, on a line going from Orlovka to Malo Rossochka on the north, from Malo Rossochka to Marinovka on the west and from Marinovka to Beketovka on the south. All the historical Axis units are here present, including the two Romanians divisions and the Croatian regiment which were encircled in the Kessel after November 23th, 1942 and shared their destiny with the rest of the German 6th Army.
The Grand Campaign covers obviously all the period, while shorter campaigns relate more local operations like the ones which cover the Rossochka front, the Northern front or the Southern front until the loss of Pitomnik on January 16th. There are also some other campaigns and operation which really cover, after the January 16th, what has to be called the agony of the Sixth Army. The defense of the Gumrak airport and the desperate fights in the ruins of Stalingrad after January 23th are some of these ones. I hope not to have forgotten anything important. Anyway, with all these ops and campaigns, you should have enough to spent white nights and have some trouble with your wife of girlfriend!
Basically, SOC is the sequel of SDK, so that the ones who enjoy playing SDK will certainly enjoy SOC as well. But SOC is NOT only a sequel. I have worked hard during months to improve what had to be improved on SDK, changed some graphics, sounds etc… As a result, you will find in SOC:
- 35 really new maps (the 9 remaining ones, which are common with SDK, have been recoded for better gameplay, so you will have to download 44 maps anyway…)
- 78 new unit icons (42% of the total)
- 25 new BG icons (46% of the total)
- New units, both by axis and soviet sides, including Sdkfz6 fürPaK36(r), Bunker Bezatzung, Alarmtruppen (2 kinds), FlamPanzer II, FlakVierling38, MG120(r), Panzer IIIL, Panzer IV turrets, Nebelwerfer42 für SdKfz4, Siberian snipers, motorized strelkis, Lend/lease Sherman’s and Lee’s, captured panzer III’s and T-34 turrets.
- A lot of new weapon icons, thanks to Thomas/Rouge 79
- New weapons
- Some new sounds
- A totally new looking-like stratmap, the result of 1 month of work…
- And, last but not least, a different AI.
You will also find in SOC two new game concepts:
- For the first time in CC, a AA regiment of a AA division: The 104th Flak Regiment of the 104th Flak Division of Major General Pickert.
- For the first time as well on CC –at least under this form…- 6 different Kampfgruppen which will help the german player to resist a little better on the maps of the stratmap where the situation will become the most desperate: Kampfgruppe Ludwig, fighting on the area of the 14th Panzer Division; Kampfgruppe Boje and Kampfgruppe Walther, fighting on the areas of the 131th Infantry regiment (44 Infantry Division); Kampfgruppe Mäder, fighting on the areas of the Romanian 20th and the German 297th; Kampfgruppe Strack, fighting on the area of the 16th Panzer Division; and Kampfgruppe Seidel, fighting on the area of the 3rd motorized Division, close to Marinovka at the time the game begins. These battlegroups, a little better supply than the other BG’s (40% instead of 30%...), with better fighting skills and weaponry, really add in my opinion something to the game. They come with special unit icons which make them more familiar and may help avoid a total disaster too early in the game.
Be careful, indeed: SOC is difficult. I have tried to make an aggressive AI, and together with the low morale of axis troops, the very low amount of ammo, AT guns and tanks, and the difficulty for the Germans to move (let’s don’t forget they were starving and ill), the challenge should be OK for most of you. For the rest, I am not responsible for the AI of CC5, so don’t blame me when, from time to time, the enemy seems to play your side….
SOC is a bunch of 1 mod, 2 submods and 1 add:
- Stalingrad: Operation Circle, which is the basic mod, to be played as the Axis, which is already a Veteran mod.
- The Russian Submod, for those who absolutely want to play as the Soviets. The Germans are a little less weak, but I had to stick to the history, so the submod is not interesting in my opinion.
- The H2H submod, for those who will play on line, which is interesting I suppose, if you can find a hard veteran playing as the Germans against you….
- The add is the awesome video from Polemarchos. Thanks to you, Kosta!
I think it is OK, now. Go to the download section, and have fun
Thanks a lot for your hardwork, PJ!
We're in for another long spell of sleepless nights, unattended wives and kids, unproductive work hours (because of the frequent secret SOC battles on the laptop!), delays on other mods' progress...
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum You cannot attach files in this forum You can download files in this forum
In August of 2004, Zappi, Homba, Bambam887, RedScorpion and MOOXE all pitched
in to create this Close Combat site. I would to thank all the people who have visited
and found this site to thier liking. I hope you had time to check out some
of the great Close Combat mods and our forums. I'd also like to thank
all the members of our volunteer staff that have helped over
the years, and all our users that contributed to this site!