Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
ZAPPI4

Rep: 33.3
votes: 2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:47 pm Post subject: Gary Gigax r.i.p. Reply with quote

Sad news this month.

The 4Th March, my "heroes" died.

U'll never die Gary.
I never seen you but i guess i ever dreamed off to meet you.
Since my 13 years old i entered your world.
Now i'm 35 and i'm still in.

As long as the dice will roll.
As long as the master guide's pages will be turned.
As long as the MD will found some players.
you will living throught us.

Long life Mister Gygax

"The dice serve only to make noise behind the screen of the master." Ernest Gary Gygax

Tout est possible ... il faut juste connaitre quand.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

pvt_Grunt

Rep: 98.5
votes: 5

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:04 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Before the pc there was just dice, graph paper, some tables and my 15 year old imagination. It was a great game!

kwp

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:47 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's not forget his contribution to tactical wargaming with WWII miniatures. I still have a set of these rules published by Guidon Games.
Quote:

Tractics is a set of rules for conducting World War II style combat with miniatures. Written by Mike Reese and Leon Tucker with contributions by Gary Gygax, the game was published by Guidon Games in 1971 and republished by TSR, Inc. in 1975. It came as a boxed set containing three booklets with illustrations by Don Lowry. It has the distinction of being the first published game to use a 20-sided die.[1] TSR printed about 5000 copies of the game and then let it go out of print in 1977.[2]

The name of the game recalls the popular Avalon Hill board wargame Tactics II (1958). Although WWII style combat was popular with board wargamers, few miniature wargamers were enacting WWII battles in the mid 1960s, in part because appropriate miniatures were scarce. In 1968 Reese and Tucker, two members of the LGTSA, began play-testing rules for tank combat that would eventually form the core of Tractics. Gygax contributed some rules on infantry, covered in the second booklet, and the third booklet would cover additional topics such as airstrikes.

The rules are for the dedicated wargaming enthusiast. The players must first acquire the miniatures and build the terrain. Reese and Tucker were interested in accurate simulation, and as a result the game provides data describing the rate of movement, thickness of armor, and range of fire for the makes of tank in service from 1940 to 1970. The game is consequently slower to conduct than a board wargame such as Tactics II. For miniature wargamers who felt that the amount of detail was excessive, Reese and Tucker recommended their earlier Fast Rules (1970).

Tractics is not a perfect information game and requires the use of a judge. A player does not initially know where his enemy is located, and pieces are placed in the playing area only when they come into open view or are detected by active observation. Tanks have a base 30% chance (i.e. must roll a 15 or higher on a 20-sided die) to hit a target. Modifiers apply depending upon factors such as how well the target is concealed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tractics

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess

Jump to: