Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1213
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Author
mooxe

Rep: 221.7
votes: 25

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:02 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think it changed with CCMT - as it had briefings and each battle had a justification and story beyond "unit moved on the same map so there will be a battle and then another unit on another map will move and another will move and there will be another battle with some other units until the units will go to the other side of the map". It doesn't have triggers and debriefings, so the story and soldiers aren't really important, but I like it the best from the CC games released so far.
I like playing with various stories and concepts in missions and CCMT allows me to do some of that.

The mission breifings of CCMT were horrible and ofcourse the same for each battle. Useless headings like Command and Signals. Whoever wrote them either had no military experience or no military experience that involve writing orders. When it came down to it though, the missions were all the same. Kill everything.

Go ahead and copy and paste some of the mission briefings you were impressed with.... I want to be reminded of funny things!

Anyways, I see your point, I think CC3 was the closest to what you like.

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

ANZAC_Tack

Rep: 22.3
votes: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:50 am Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, liked the ideas for wounded soldiers, yes im amazed somebody loves ccmt,me like most didnt like no GC/ops,but the actual game has huge potential. ccmat ditto,incorporate that with a GC with layers,yeah!

espree de corp

Therion

Rep: 27.4
votes: 4

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:29 am Post subject: Reply with quote

mooxe wrote:
The mission breifings of CCMT were horrible and ofcourse the same for each battle. Useless headings like Command and Signals. Whoever wrote them either had no military experience or no military experience that involve writing orders.

I don't play engagements that were included in CCMT as I don't like them. I prefer to make my own engagements.

mooxe wrote:
When it came down to it though, the missions were all the same. Kill everything.

Which is why I said that I still miss triggers and debriefings.

Wonderland - my mod for Armored Brigade

Killing for peace is like fucking for orgasm.

squadleader_id

Rep: 53.2
votes: 7

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:41 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Sulla wrote:
Quote:
I still can't believe that S3/Matrix don't pay their testers though...since people were 'working for free'...can't blame them for not testing the games 'deep' enough
Heck...even the people developing these games are doing it for free (CMIIW)...why should 'mere testers' get paid, right?

None of the major games companies pay testers! Testing has always been classed as a "privelidge" Sometimes I really do wonder where some people et their ideas of how games are developled and how games companies work.

Umm...I just used uncle google...didn't need to dig deeper.
I know for fact that even testers of cheap flash/phone games get paid Wink

http://www.gamecareerguide.com/features/416/the_game_industry_salary_survey_2007.php?page=6

http://ezinearticles.com/?What-is-the-Average-Video-Game-Tester-Salary?&id=789510

http://www.howtoall.com/Computingfiles/howtobecomeavideogametester.htm

Therion

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:02 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Pzt_Kevin_dtn wrote:
I do agree the CCMT is more like a training tool than an actual game.

Amusingly, I often play it with scenarios based on the concepts from Workbook.

squadleader_id

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:10 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Tejszd wrote:

Therion,

What is your beef with CC4/5? A lot of people think the mini game or strat layer makes it a better game. If Sulla would tell us I bet COI has outsold CCMT by a huge margin, mainly because CCMT is less of a game and more a training tool. The CC community has always been split between CC2, CC3 and CC4/5 and people would like to see the re-releases or CC6 move in the direction of their favorite. Well WAR is a gold version/re-release of CC4 which had a strat layer so quit complaining about. Just like the others should stop complaining about the Matrix/S3T approach as they have decided what they are going to do so let them execute their plan and vote with your dollars on the re-releases and the eventual CC6 if/when it comes….

Still haven’t seen you post any tactical level enhancement suggestions???

I don't think Therion is a wargame fan (CMIIW)...but more of a PC gamer type.
If you've played wargames (both early PC wargames and true board/counters/dice wargames)...you get used to the abstractions and simplifications both on Strategic and Tactical level for the sake of gameplay.

Still, it's still way more realistic than mainstream RTS games where you build bases and units...the lame resource gathering system...the sit and build and rush all your units at the enemy base modes of playing Wink

schrecken

Rep: 195
votes: 15

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:25 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a playtesters job with Codemasters

http://au.codemasters.com/corporate/careers/featured-jobs/

nice links SL_ID

Now I can make you a lot of money

Just send me your bank account details and your PIN... trust me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Therion

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:29 am Post subject: Reply with quote

squadleader_id wrote:
If you've played wargames (both early PC wargames and true board/counters/dice wargames)...you get used to the abstractions and simplifications both on Strategic and Tactical level for the sake of gameplay.

Strawman argument. It's perfectly possible to play a wargame on one level. It's not like all tabletop wargames are grand strategy/strategic/operational/tactical/skirmish hybrids.

squadleader_id

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:38 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Therion wrote:
squadleader_id wrote:

Strawman argument. It's perfectly possible to play a wargame on one level. It's not like all tabletop wargames are grand strategy/strategic/operational/tactical/skirmish hybrids.

I didn't say they're all grand...I don't even play them anymore. I don't even play complex but micromanagement extensive and time consuming Combat Mission anymore.
Just that it might be easier to accept the abstractions if you've played old school wargames Smile
And if you play odl school wargames...it's hard to not take mainstream RTS (C&C etc) seriously.

CC is a great game system for wargamers with limited gaming time Smile

Sulla

Rep: 12.6

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:53 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanks. Those mods files that have been listed on a torrent server to branch out to other circles of the internet. If there is something wrong with hosting mod files on this server, and listing what is available at CCS via torrents please tell me.

There has not been, and there never has been copyrighted software of any kind hosted at this site, ever.

Thanks Mooxe, nice to know we have the support of CSS at times like this!

Quote:
Umm...I just used uncle google...didn't need to dig deeper.
I know for fact that even testers of cheap flash/phone games get paid

Pardon me SLID, I bow to your superior knowledge on the games industry!

A games QA dept is NOT a beta testing dept, testers report via a progam like mantis (bug reporting) in a pre-formed way. This goes to the programmers who fix bugs found etc. This all happens WAY before any game sees a QA dept! The usual procedure is that QA will not see a product until very close to release or at various build stages, way after testers have been looking at the game.

Do you read games sites, magazines? There are always sites and developers looking for testers for their games. In actual fact its seen as an honour to be asked to help test a game. Its usually people who have been around for a while who form the solid core of a tester group and then some standard users who "don't" know the game at all. This gives the developers a very good view of the game as well as testing the game, this way testers have input into how the game can shape up. Thats the pay off of being a tester!

Why try to prove something that is not so? What is the beef SLI?

This is a form for Microsoft Games Testing:

https://www.microsoft.com/playtest/playform.htm

Volunteer for a 2-3 hour study and you could get a chance to play one of the latest games or gaming devices under development here at Microsoft. All individuals scheduled for a study will be given a free gift for participating!

Registration is limited to one enrollment per person.

See any mention of pay? Oh a free gift? Yep a game copy, hmm fancy that!

Any quick search of Google will show hundreds of scam sites telling you how to get paid hundreds of dollars playing games for fun!

Examples of Standard Testers Ads:
BLITZKRIEG II - CLOSED BETA TEST

We Want You!

Volunteer for the Blitzkrieg II Closed Beta Test.

Apply for duty in our Forward Observer's Corps today and tomorrow you could be dropping in behind enemy lines to report back strategic information, relied upon by the development team and your comrades in arms!

Recruits need to meet the following requirements:
Ability to read and write English - Intermediate level
Fast Internet access
Strategy Game experience

To sign-up for the Test please fill in the form located here: http://www.nival.com/blitzkrieg2/beta/

----------------------

Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom
Starting in mid-May, several hundred gamers will be enrolled to get a sneak peek at the game and put Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom through extensive single- and multi-player testing. The beta test, which will run through July, will focus on balancing the game's new and revolutionary multi-player mode, including competitive and co-operative play. "Beta participants will also be asked to take a look at the single-player missions and help us with compatibility testing," said Jon Payne, producer for Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom.

Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom offers gamers their first opportunity to play a city building game with their friends, online via the Internet. A great variety of both collaborative and competitive multiplayer games will be offered. Players may need to collaborate in building one of China's engineering marvels, or they may share a common goal to attain a certain level of affluence. In competitive multiplay, players take sides - or may be a side unto themselves - and fight for sole power over China. "We're looking for a broad range of people and systems so everyone should feel free to apply," said Payne. "Both expert and novice players are welcome."

According to Payne, selection for the beta test is based on a variety of criteria: system specs, experience with other Impressions Games products, and skill in documenting suggestions and communicating them clearly.

Great choice in sites for reliable info SLI.D Any reputable company like MS, Sierra, Nival, Sega, Atari etc etc etc, have hundreds if not thousands of testers working and very small QA depts working on software after the testers have tested a build.

Check this out from Gamespot:
http://www.gamespot.com/search.html?type=11&stype=all&tag=search%3Bbutton&om_act=convert&om_clk=search&qs=beta+testers&x=38&y=11#story

A quick search shows 91 requests in press releases asking for beta testers! Now just how are we being cheap or unfair with our testers?

Quote:
I know for fact that even testers of cheap flash/phone games get paid

Now back to the "REAL" world!

I will take this opportunity to again say thanks to all those genuine testers, who have tested for us over the years! WAR testing will shortly be back up, seems the A Hole who did post the files left more traces than he thought!

Sulla

squadleader_id

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:04 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm...Sulla the Q/A Lead is the right bar...the Tester bar is on the left (lighter orange color bar).

It's your company...and run it the way you want.
No need to be so defensive Smile

But not all game testers or beta testers work for free.
Edit: And in most game studios, the development team get paid too Wink

Therion

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:23 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

squadleader_id wrote:
Just that it might be easier to accept the abstractions if you've played old school wargames Smile

If I wanted additional abstraction, I would play C&C Razz .

squadleader_id wrote:
CC is a great game system for wargamers with limited gaming time Smile

It's arguable, when I played in GC, playing battle after battle after battle was a massive time eater Razz .

ZAPPI4

Rep: 33.3
votes: 2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:13 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

well, in fact, i wonder why they dont use a community test. As they can give us the
upadted beta game and let us, all of us testing it.
If it's a reason about money, what if everyone get last of last beta test file, why they
ll buy the original game. But in fact why this update must be not free for CC community?
It'snt the community who offer to S3 or anyother the opportunity to work right now
on WAR? I dont have to remind you than, since 2005, the community
of CC is quite in a hole, and for 4 years we keep them alive

Tout est possible ... il faut juste connaitre quand.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Roel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:25 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Therion wrote:

If I wanted additional abstraction, I would play C&C Razz .

I was also surprised to find someone preferring CCMT over the 'mini-game' series, and as you know, as far as I'm concerned: de gustibus et coloribus...
But, out of sheer curiosity: apart from CCMT, which wargames (past or present) would you say come closest to your desires?

Sulla wrote:

seems the A Hole who did post the files left more traces than he thought!

If you catch him, hand him over to us! And let's already organize a poll on favourite medieval torture methods! Who cares about legal action? Give him to the people! Smile

On a more serious note: good luck with your WaR project, may the release be tomorrow, and let the community judge then instead of now...
BTW: how about proceeding to the A in that Q&A thread on CSO? Wink

Roel

flick

Rep: 17.6

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:59 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so out of the loop, I didn't even know we could download the beta version of WAR and CCMAT*

*Will it be available to buy?

Searry

Rep: 3.2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:28 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope they'll make better improvements than they had in CoI. CoI was just a rerelease with nothing new. New commands would be nice. "Hide" and "Target" commands etc would be good.

CSO_Linebacker

Rep: 5.9

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:07 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

flick wrote:
I'm so out of the loop, I didn't even know we could download the beta version of WAR and CCMAT*

We can't...legallly

'If it does not have a gun, it cannot be fun'

schrecken

Rep: 195
votes: 15

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:02 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

We can't...legallly

But negotiations are ongoing Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Therion

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:11 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Roel wrote:
I was also surprised to find someone preferring CCMT over the 'mini-game' series, and as you know, as far as I'm concerned: de gustibus et coloribus...
But, out of sheer curiosity: apart from CCMT, which wargames (past or present) would you say come closest to your desires?

CCMAT, Sean O'Connor's Firefight, ArmoredBrigade.

I didn't play much wargames as much of them lacks good tutorials.

ZAPPI4 wrote:
But in fact why this update must be not free for CC community?

Because someone has to pay for the rights to make CC series?

flick

Rep: 17.6

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:41 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

So where is this stuff uploaded?

Will I get into trouble if I download?

Or will the original uploaders be the ones fighting-off kimbo slice. in the prison showers?

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat Wacht am Rhein
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Jump to: