Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
AT_Stalky

Rep: 27.4
votes: 10

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:53 pm Post subject: I just bought Rome Total War, and Medieval II: Total War Reply with quote

I just bought Rome Total War, and Medieval II: Total War, and a first person..
The price, 3 games for 198 SEK that’s 25 USD. Not bad... If it doesnt suck that is...

Thinking, the Medival war I have some hopes... Maybe there is some mods, Narva 1700, Duna 1701, Kliszów 1702, Thorn 1703, and maybe most interesting Poltava 1707

Some ware deep in me I have a small hope to fined a better game then CC5…

squadleader_id

Rep: 53.2
votes: 7

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:29 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are great strategy games, Mats...and with amazing looking graphics.
I'm not a huge fans of ancient warfare though...but I had fun with both titles...mostly the single battles (the campaign game is fun...but I'm not a fan of Civilizations Smile).
Empire Total War is coming out soon...can't wait for Napoleonic era battles!

Technically, The Total War Series is much better than CC hands down...but I still keep coming back to CC all these years Smile

AT_Stalky

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:19 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, Smile

sharky4u

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:30 am Post subject: Re: I just bought Rome Total War, and Medieval II: Total War Reply with quote

AT_Stalky wrote:
The price, 3 games for 198 SEK that’s 25 USD. Not bad... If it doesnt suck that is...

Thinking, the Medival war I have some hopes... Maybe there is some mods, Narva 1700, Duna 1701, Kliszów 1702, Thorn 1703, and maybe most interesting Poltava 1707

I am a big total war fan as well, its the only game i have found that has some similarities to the CC series. The only problem with it is that it doesn't have the scream factor to close combat. Anyone that disagrees needs to recall those cherished moments when your watching your anti tank gun reloading and the panzer turret turning, begging them to go faster. Or that time when your bazooka team is prime position in a building with a tiger outside and they keep missing. FIRE DAM YOU FIRE!

Yes there are similar moments in Total war and I too look forward to Empire, but I will never stop playing close combat until they build a graphcally superior game with the same logic and style as CC. Every title out there that says its a strategy game is really a mindless command and conquer adaptation....build structure...fight unit....build unit.. build another structure...and so on.

It really does make me sick seeing reviews of new games like Company of Heroes, best strategy game ever made etc.....pretty but just the same mindless rubbish. What CC has over them all seems to be randomness, why does the guy at the back in cover get hit when his buddies are in the open, why can a single dude in a unit nail have a company when everyone else around him is dead. CC trully captures something that the other games miss completely and go on missing. Long live Close Combat & Merry Christmas!

Searry

Rep: 3.2
votes: 1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:13 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Those games suck. The AI is so fucking dumb.

ronson

Rep: 36.7
votes: 5

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:39 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thinking, the Medival war I have some hopes... Maybe there is some mods

I had the medival game at one time, plus it had a great add on called 'Viking Invasion'. This was a brilliant add on and great fun to play, letting you take command of a horde of hairy Norsemen with the intention of attacking the peaceful Saxons ( and various other peoples) and carrying off their gold candlesticks, women and cattle, depending on where your interests lay Smile , and of course taking over their green and pleasant land.

You could play it from both sides, but lets face it which would you rather do, build churches and till farms or go an a drunken rampage? Laughing

A real fun game to play I wish you many happy hours of enjoyment playing it mate Wink

Cheers
Ronson

GR member Ronson1  ac 4247033

Polemarchos

Rep: 27.3

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:55 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

stalky.... download Europa Barbarorum Mod for Rome:TW it is the best one imo. Even AI is better

To brave men few words are as good as many

AT_Stalky

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:58 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah thanx for the thoughts on them games mates.
Shark, what you sai has always been a tru to me, and CC has been thee way.

Serray, so does the CC AI, how about total war in H2H?

Ronson, yes, Vikings haha yes, cant w8 to try that one. But, lets us go on drunken rampage without a mod... :drink2 Smile

Pole, hm, cool. Must there not be a Greece vs ? mod?

Cant wait to get this installed. Seem I have got plent of game for the money mates!

A stupid q though, about early lunt lock musctes etc and early cannons are "medival" able to simulate em, atleast in mods? or is all just pre gunpowder?

Polemarchos

Rep: 27.3

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:12 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

AT_Stalky wrote:

A stupid q though, about early lunt lock musctes etc and early cannons are "medival" able to simulate em, atleast in mods? or is all just pre gunpowder?

there is a rome mod called napoleonic wars, there you have the same scenario (late period) like empires

never play vanilla. Apply mod to get completely new game, New map, new units, new traits etc...

in medival II turks have cannons and later some have early muscet versions...
byzantines have flamethrower

To brave men few words are as good as many

panssarijaakari

Rep: 15.6

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:06 pm Post subject: Re: I just bought Rome Total War, and Medieval II: Total War Reply with quote

AT_Stalky wrote:

Who won those battles? Rolling Eyes

AT_Stalky

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:16 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

panssarijaakari

Rep: 15.6

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:54 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, disregard that. It was just a half-assed attempt to make you remember Hakkapeliitta. >___>

AT_Stalky

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:57 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

How can we forget the Finish cavalry.

Though: that flag represented both Finland aria and Sweden back then. Finland and Sweden was the same nation under one banner, the Swedish banner.
BTW, a big part of me is Fin, Wilkman,s/Blick,s.

A Side note about Swedish/Finlands cavalry in named battles:

About Narva battle: Wasn’t that Swedish troops that just had “taken” Copenhagen and forced Denmark out of the war freed for new mission and shipped to Narva, along with Finland infantry from Bjöneborgarn, Åbå, Tavastehus Viborg Savolaxanc Nyland regiment?
I thought the cavalry just had flank guard at Narva battle.
The Swede/Fin grenadier had the main assault as the enemy line was heavy fortified and Russians was on top of 2 meter wall.
Ribbing was the only who brought in the cavalry?

About Kliszow battle, that was cavalry from Södra Skånska kavaleriet, with help of Värmländska Karoliner who made decisive thrusts? Heaviest casualty’s took the Livgardet who also was heavy in fight? Did the fin cav play a roll? If so what did they do?

About DUNA battle; the Swede crossing of river battle and fighting at the beach, that was basically ONLY infantry at Swedish side, though plenty of enemy cav assulting time after time.. The only Swedish cavalry involved in fight was the livdrabantkåren who attacked the enemy in rear (and was the only Swed/Fin cavalry engage in that battle). The rest of Swedish/fin cavalry remained on the wrong side of DUNA and was not brought over due to the bad weather. Im not aware there was Cavalry from Fin in actual fight?

Fin fought v brave and was v imp to the Sw/Fin nation wich was one and same back then. The fin soldier is of exceptional quality as they always been and continued to be 1939, 41-44.

Last edited by AT_Stalky on Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Searry

Rep: 3.2
votes: 1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:53 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

AT_Stalky wrote:

Serray, so does the CC AI, how about total war in H2H?

There isn't a campaign H2H. So no thanks. Hopefully there will be a multiplayer campaign in Empire: Total War.

AT_Stalky

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:59 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Searry, ok, so only single battle H2H so far..
I only played a few so far, seem its not the fine tuned controll each small unit type battles of CC rather Its masses and general controll.

mortis

Rep: 0.5

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:29 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

There are games out there that have better graphics (CoH comes to mind), some that will have better AI (should I metion the infamous spinning tank in CC?), and then some will have better single player aspects. But none come to mind that encompass what the Close Combat series does. I agree with Sharky4U in his recounting of the scream factor that Close Combat draws out of everyone of us. How many times I've sat there scratching my head after screaming at the top of my lungs, and scaring the bejesus out of my wife and kids, "MOVE YOU DUMBASS! GET UNDER COVER! DAMN!" Only to watch my best troops vanish to accurate mortar fire, cuz they decided to lay down in the open. Close Combat has that one thing that no other title(s) has ever recaptured, and thats the ability to bring us back, day after day, month after month, year after year. Having grown up on Avalon Hill's 'Advanced Squad Leader', Close Combat is an excellent pc representation of that game, and rightly so. I remember many a games where my Volkgrenadiers repelled US Army Rangers in hand to hand combat, and winning at the last minute. Or having my opponent, toast my elite SS squads with hidden (M)MG's when I was trying to move from building to building in Stalingrad. For those of us that have grown up on WWII games, no other will ever hold that special place that the close combat series does, whether its the first one, or the rereleases like CoI and WaR, I for one will always have them installed on my machine and will always find a way to play them, reguardless of how hard Microsoft tries to deny me. And as long as places on the 'net exist like this site, Close Combat Series, those of us who are sworn CC Citizens, will always have a place to meet and enjoy each others company and to ensure that close combat will continue forever.

Roel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:41 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Polemarchos wrote:
stalky.... download Europa Barbarorum Mod for Rome:TW it is the best one imo. Even AI is better

Didn't play Barbarorum yet, but had great fun with RTR: http://www.rometotalrealism.org/index-2.html

Great games, but AI is indeed a problem (especially at the strategic level).

Roel

Notski

Rep: 0.4

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:37 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Polemarchos wrote (View Post):

Europa Barbarorum and Invasio Barbarorum are two of the best mods for Rome:Total War.  Soon a new version of both mods is going to come to Medieval 2 :Total War.  

Don't play the vanilla in the Total War games, just try it.  Always get a mod and be blown away by the hyge improvements.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess

Jump to: