Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Author
DasWanderer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:32 pm Post subject: Some Thoughts Reply with quote

Been playing this Mod for about 8 hours and it really enhances GJS play, even against the AI, which seems to make better decisions all around, especially no more of those frontal attacks into your dug-in guns.

As far as the reports of units not following movement orders when they should in some maps, I`ve seen that happen.

What I "think" happens sometimes is that your "AI" refuses to move ..( "can`t go there" ) into a arc thats covered by " the AI`s" hidden guns. This seems to happen on large open maps. On the last battle a Sherman M4 was dueling with a JagPanther, I reversed him out the range. When I tried to move him forward to try a shot, it refused Sad Later when a VC killed the JagPanther, it moved forward, no problem... Razz This pattern has happed a few times with units. Maybe I`m giving too much credit to the Mods/ AI, or it`s old new, but something is going on with the AI..

7A_Woulf

Rep: 22.1
votes: 2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:21 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed something similar. Two days ago I had a really fun duel between one of my Fireflys and 3 of the AI's Pz IV's. The AI didn't advanced with the tanks after I killed a halftrack, instead it moved an infantry HS to draw the fire from my tank (which I had on 'defend', me my poor fool! Embarassed ) While it reloaded, one of the pz IVH moved up and finished it off.

But on the very same day, it had 4 out of 5 tanks on the Ranville VL, while my 17pdr and a MMG made a short story out of the halftracks, AC and infantry it had out in the open between the town and the chateau. So sometimes it seems like it's not all that intelligent after all...

"When the tough gets going, I run to live to run another day..."

"Is this trip really necessary?"

flick

Rep: 17.6

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:38 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that the bigger the map, the worse the AI.

The trouble with the smaller maps though, is that tanks would never allow themselves to fight in those conditions, if they had a choice.

7A_Woulf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:29 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it impossible to play as the German vs. the AI in the GC, the "assaulting" troops don't even tries to get of the beaches. The AI has a tendency to just mingling around on bigger maps and if they try to attack, it's against a single VL with a few units. And even if they move into crossfire or a MG they keep on moving until the entire unit is K.I.A.

Quote:
The trouble with the smaller maps though, is that tanks would never allow themselves to fight in those conditions, if they had a choice.

Ranville in my GC is a prime example of this. My brave paras has held the map against a BG from 21st Panzer for two days, killing some 20 AFV while losing no more than 2 AT-guns, 1 MMG team and some infantry. I can use the same battleplan every time and the AI keeps coming. Any h2h opponent had driven me of or regrouped for an assault on an other map. They other BG from the 21st (where the tank-duel were) were easily cut of from supply and in a few more turns it's all out of tanks and AC's, another situation that a human wouldn't have stayed in, or even ended up in...

But compared to earlier CC games, even the unpatched 5, I find the AI of GJS (and TRSM) better, even if it's far from good.

Dima

Rep: 87.3
votes: 16

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:53 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
Quote:
But compared to earlier CC games, even the unpatched 5, I find the AI of GJS (and TRSM) better, even if it's far from good.

that;s funny, i was making this mod for H2H - never intended it to be played vs AI Smile.

well, i can do a vetmod for it, with much better AI in like 2 weeks. as it's v easy to make the vs AI mod Smile.

so waiting for yer ideas of what u want to see in "vs AI" version (let's call it TRSM:VAI Smile).

flick

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:48 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

The crete mod, has great AI.

I guess it's partly down to where you place VL's?

Dima

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:51 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

no.

wanna bet, i will make so hard VAI mod in 1-2 weeks, that u never experienced, even w/o artillery barrage for the AI Smile

squadleader_id

Rep: 53.2
votes: 7

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:10 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Dima wrote:
Quote:

no.

wanna bet, i will make so hard VAI mod in 1-2 weeks, that u never experienced, even w/o artillery barrage for the AI Smile

Yes! Please...please...me want it! Very Happy

Dima

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:11 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes! Please...please...me want it!

so, what is yer bet? Wink

squadleader_id

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:26 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Dima wrote:
Quote:
Yes! Please...please...me want it!

so, what is yer bet? Wink

Okay...I bet you can also make a nice hard VAI mod for Utah 1.3 Wink

Dima

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:28 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Okay...I bet you can also make a nice hard VAI mod for Utah 1.3

hmm, thats not fair Razz

let's make it different, if i can do VAI in 2 weeks , u won't make Suorobaya for WaR until they fix GC and make tools (at least FP and stratmap) for us?

squadleader_id

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:45 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Dima wrote:
Quote:
Okay...I bet you can also make a nice hard VAI mod for Utah 1.3

hmm, thats not fair Razz

let's make it different, if i can do VAI in 2 weeks , u won't make Suorobaya for WaR until they fix GC and make tools (at least FP and stratmap) for us?

Now that's getting personal Smile
Surabaya demo for WAR I've been working on is just a conversion of the CC5 demo version...there's no way I'm touching the StratMap and FP without new tools Very Happy
I must admit that WAR has potentials...but I doubt that S3T will provide us with those new tools Wink

...Now let's get back to those VAI mods for GJS-TRSM and Utah!
Somebody else make a bet! Please...Wink

Dima

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:52 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I must admit that WAR has potentials...but I doubt that S3T will provide us with those new tools

that's the point!
we should push on them regardingnew tools - they depend on us...no big mods for WaR - no new copies of WaR sold Smile

Quote:
Now let's get back to those VAI mods for GJS-TRSM

ok, wait for 2 weeks.
u want a challenge - u'll get it Very Happy.

what should i start first - the german or the british/canadian?

Quote:
there's no way I'm touching the StratMap and FP without new tools

hope so, check above Very Happy.

DasWanderer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:28 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a VAI Mod would be terrific. Perhaps this is the wrong place to request, but it is possible to increase the rate of fire of some or all the tanks and AT guns ?

I spend lots of time setting up the units in good locations. Placing the AT guns`s and tanks back in layers of depth in good cover although with a long clear green line to ambush the other tanks. Now it very disheartning to see them miss or not kill with the first shot, and watch the enemy tank slowly turn 90 or even 180 degrees and kill my tank or AT gun before it even gets off another shot off Crying or Very sad . In that time a decent gun crew should get off 2-3 shots IMHO.

Thanks !

flick

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:05 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Dima wrote:
Quote:

no.

I'm just going by what PZJager said about his maps.

squadleader_id

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:50 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Dima wrote:
Quote:
I must admit that WAR has potentials...but I doubt that S3T will provide us with those new tools

that's the point!
we should push on them regardingnew tools - they depend on us...no big mods for WaR - no new copies of WaR sold Smile

Quote:
Quote:
there's no way I'm touching the StratMap and FP without new tools

hope so, check above Very Happy.

You really think they'll listen? Wink

Quote:
Quote:
Now let's get back to those VAI mods for GJS-TRSM

ok, wait for 2 weeks.
u want a challenge - u'll get it Very Happy.

what should i start first - the german or the british/canadian?

I vote for German VAI first (to play as Germans vs Brits/Canadian AI)...so we can play as German defenders vs Allied AI that actually launches attacks Smile

7A_Woulf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:36 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
that;s funny, i was making this mod for H2H - never intended it to be played vs AI

Well, since I'm a sucker for realism, but to shy to get some h2h going, I have no choice but to play TRSM against the AI... Embarassed

I'm a newbie about modding, so I don't know the "can/can't does" about it, but here are some of my thoughts:

- Don't change the BGs for a harder game, the realism is the reason to play TRSM.
- I miss my trenches... (Can see why they were removed, but in a human vs. AI mod they can be reinstalled. There are some maps where you have to defend a lot of open ground.)
- Can something be done about the AI's actions and reactions? Both on a strategic and a tactical level. Retreat and regroup when it is needed, stop an attack that runs into heavy fire and stuff like that...
- An AI that moves of the beaches and attacks inland would be nice... Rolling Eyes I'd like to play as the German as well. Smile
- Something I miss in CC is random artillery support. Anyone who played ASL (the boardgame) know what I mean, the Germans would have anything from 80mm battalion mortars to 170mm field artillery or nebelwerfers. But I don't know if that is possible... :what1

Keep up the good work Dima, looking forward to a Vet-mod for my favourite mod. (Playing your Utah1.3 now, a great mod as well. But I miss the two mortars in the 80mm teams...) Crying or Very sad

Dima

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:46 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

DasWanderer,
Quote:
I think a VAI Mod would be terrific. Perhaps this is the wrong place to request, but it is possible to increase the rate of fire of some or all the tanks and AT guns ?

we'll c Smile.

flick,
Quote:
I'm just going by what PZJager said about his maps.

prolly there r different ways Smile.

squadleader_id,
Quote:
I vote for German VAI first (to play as Germans vs Brits/Canadian AI)...so we can play as German defenders vs Allied AI that actually launches attacks

oki.

Woulf73,
Quote:
- Don't change the BGs for a harder game, the realism is the reason to play TRSM.

yes, it will be as historical as possible (at least exterior Smile).

Quote:
- I miss my trenches... (Can see why they were removed, but in a human vs. AI mod they can be reinstalled. There are some maps where you have to defend a lot of open ground.)

ok, let's return them.

Quote:
- Can something be done about the AI's actions and reactions? Both on a strategic and a tactical level. Retreat and regroup when it is needed, stop an attack that runs into heavy fire and stuff like that...
- An AI that moves of the beaches and attacks inland would be nice... I'd like to play as the German as well.

we'll c what can be done.

Quote:
- Something I miss in CC is random artillery support. Anyone who played ASL (the boardgame) know what I mean, the Germans would have anything from 80mm battalion mortars to 170mm field artillery or nebelwerfers. But I don't know if that is possible...

yes, can be done.

Quote:
Playing your Utah1.3 now, a great mod as well. But I miss the two mortars in the 80mm teams...

will be there for Utah 2.

flick

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:05 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Dima wrote:
Quote:

no.

Wow, you can do that?

I've lost count of the complaints about the AI.

I don't mean to sound rude, but if it's that easy to make tough AI, than why isn't EVERY mod out there this hard? Shocked

Dima

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:45 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Wow, you can do that?

we'll c Smile.

Quote:
I don't mean to sound rude, but if it's that easy to make tough AI, than why isn't EVERY mod out there this hard?

i dunno, as far as i heard sapa makes good VAI mods, also pzjager, so i believe there r more good VAI mods than good H2H mods Wink.
me personally has not been playing vs AI since like 1998, so i dont care about "single player mode".

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Total Realism Sub Mod
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Jump to: