Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1213
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
squadleader_id

Rep: 53.2
votes: 7

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:41 am Post subject: Candidate for future CC Engine? Reply with quote

...playing MoW with CC style cam Smile

http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimagepopup&pid=4097&fullsize=1

http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimagepopup&pid=4098&fullsize=1

AT_Stalky

Rep: 27.4
votes: 10

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:55 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Such grapix!

squadleader_id

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:00 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Russian human wave assault...uraaaa!!!

http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimagepopup&pid=4099&fullsize=1

squadleader_id

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:43 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallschirmjager squads taking heavy casualties attempting a frontal assault on a Creforce 20mm...

http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimagepopup&pid=4100&fullsize=1

Sapa

Rep: 76.3
votes: 8

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:19 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry a question from and old fool Embarassed

What is MoW?

/Mats

mooxe

Rep: 221.7
votes: 25

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:39 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, whats the link for this game?

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

7A_Woulf

Rep: 22.1
votes: 2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:40 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn man!!
-Why have you kept this game from us?!? :nuts

What about the AI, or is it just h2h? Must admit that I never heard about MoW... (But I'm lagging about most computer games, usually gets e'm when they are on sale, or 'classic collection'... Embarassed )

"When the tough gets going, I run to live to run another day..."

"Is this trip really necessary?"

squadleader_id

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:52 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe TT_Torpedo posted about this wargame a few weeks ago.
http://www.menofwargame.com/

Here's a short review of sorts from me...

Men of War...sequel to Faces of War (which is the spiritual sequel of Soldiers: Heroes of WW2).
The graphics are great...but quite light on hardware and resources...you don't need a very high-end gaming machine to run the game (unlike Company of Heroes).

Gameplay is of course not as good as CC...too much micromanagement...and there's a complex inventory system like the Commandos games. Soldier AI isn't as 'clever' as CC...so you need to assign lots of orders and sometimes manage their individual equipment and loadouts....argghh!!!
The AI is pretty good...like most modern RTS...and features lots of triggered events...but tactics isn't very realistic. Historical accuracy (weapons, uniforms and equipment) is also quite poor.

The zoom out view is very limited (my screenshots are at max zoom out levels)...so you can't really play like CC (and have a great overall view of the battlefield)...like most modern RTS...viewpoint is very limited...and very dependent on mastering the hovering cam views.

Nice engine though...CC with the ability to zoom in on the action like the MoW engine...that would be awesome! Smile
Maybe Atomic will come up with something similar for the next CC engine? Smile

TTorpedo

Rep: 23.5

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:53 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

MoW => Men of War

I posted a thread some time a go:
http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5783

IMO is the best RTS or RTT around from the last years.

When I saw the previous game (Faces of War) I immediately thought the same a potential CC engine - GEM engine (developed by Best Way a Ukrainian company)

EDIT: Squad L. beat me to the post.

I agree with most of the review. You have to control more your soldiers.
SP and MP play very different. In MP i rarely break my squads so manging them is far easier.
There is a learning curve on this one - occasionally i still find things you can do I did´t know about -

On a side note, modding is very user friendly, you only need notepad.
For example to change camera maximum height you just need to change a value on the camera settings ( open the the pack file inside the game are RAR files).
You can also use the editor included to make any battle/ map you want.

Pzt_Mac

Rep: 3.4

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:50 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Great looking game. Is it hit point based or reality based for the damage?

*Edit *Edit - Is it a combination of point based and reality based damage?

There also seems to be a couple of "realism" mods out there, so lots of potential with this game perhaps.

Last edited by Pzt_Mac on Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

mooxe

Rep: 221.7
votes: 25

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:10 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I felt like buying this game from the first screenshots Squad posted. After researching more, not so much. I finished Company of Heros, it was fun, but not close to the realism of CC.

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

squadleader_id

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:45 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Pzt_Mac wrote:
Great looking game. Is it hit point based or reality based for the damage?

*Edit *Edit - Is it a combination of point based and reality based damage?

There also seems to be a couple of "realism" mods out there, so lots of potential with this game perhaps.

Hit points based...and you can heal your soldiers using health packs Smile
You can also repair vehicles on the battlefield (not as instant an arcadish as the Company of Heroes system though).

MoW and FoW are about halfway between a realistic wargame and pure arcade RTS clickfest like CoH. Thank goodness there's no unit building and resource gathering...and the reinforcements system is pretty believable...not rigid and arcadish like Blitzkrieg. Battles are fluid and sometimes chaotic...and the explosions and destruction animations are brutal!

But of course...after enjoying the graphics for a few more days...for me it's back to CC with primitive but addictive simple but gorgeous 2D graphics Smile
I would choose to play Aetius' Kreta over the Operation Mercury episode included in MoW any day Wink

Last edited by squadleader_id on Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:07 am; edited 1 time in total

schrecken

Rep: 195
votes: 15

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:42 am Post subject: Reply with quote

sure looks nice... shame you can edit it with notepad - absurd idea.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

squadleader_id

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:38 am Post subject: Reply with quote

schrecken wrote:

MoW (and FoW) includes a sophisticated built-in map and scenario editor. For hardcore modders, the 3D objects can be manipulated also using 3rd party 3D softwares.
Actually...TTorpedo demonstrated that the map editor module can be used to make CC maps by manipulating the cams, taking screenshots and 'sewing' the images together.
Much better looking maps than those made using the Blitzkrieg 2 map editor IMHO.

You can use notepad to edit the scenario scripts though Wink

TTorpedo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:59 am Post subject: Reply with quote

squadleader_id wrote:
schrecken wrote:

MoW (and FoW) includes a sophisticated built-in map and scenario editor. For hardcore modders, the 3D objects can be manipulated also using 3rd party 3D softwares.
Actually...TTorpedo demonstrated that the map editor module can be used to make CC maps by manipulating the cams, taking screenshots and 'sewing' the images together.
Much better looking maps than those made using the Blitzkrieg 2 map editor IMHO.

You can use notepad to edit the scenario scripts though Wink

Theres an importer tool to get 3d models in to the game (anyway most off the fighting vehicles of ww2 have been modeled already)
You can also use notepad to edit guns penetration ranges armor, soldier accuracy by gun, soldier load-out, objects fading distance etc..etc

Looking forward to see how the big realism modes will run like SOE or BTRH

The more CC fans we can get in the game the better we can shape it for the future! Hey A CC mode might not be out of the question.

PS: For those who think its not worth the 20€ You will probably be able to pick it up from the bargain been in a couple of months.

squadleader_id

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:16 am Post subject: Reply with quote

TTorpedo,
Is there a trick to expand the zoomed out view so we can get close to CC range of cam view...but with the option to zoom in.

TTorpedo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:45 am Post subject: Reply with quote

squadleader_id wrote:
TTorpedo,
Is there a trick to expand the zoomed out view so we can get close to CC range of cam view...but with the option to zoom in.

You can change the max & min zoom level - I think its map/ mission dependent, so you can just change the mission file with notepad . Anyway to use it, it will have to be in mod format. (I don't have the game with me here so i cannot check the files now)
Alternatively load up a map in the editor, unthick the camera box, and you will have infinite zoom (fading objects will become a problem, but you can change this to) - this is the place to look:

http://www.digitalmindsoft.eu/forums/viewforum.php?f=11

in editor going trough the F keys, F1 F2 etc, modes you can do anything as in game even play a mission (use alt +f to take the hud out) or just let the AI sort it out, while you take pictures Smile

CSO_Talorgan

Rep: 72.5
votes: 1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:49 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

squadleader_id wrote:
Much better looking maps than those made using the Blitzkrieg 2 map editor

This is good news.

Do I take it that fisheye can be eliminated in the editor with a god's-eye-view?

... and is it possible to export a map as one big graphics file, so that you are not having to stitch silly wee screenshots together?

Finally, how does 3D importing work?

TTorpedo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:34 am Post subject: Reply with quote

CSO_Talorgan wrote:
squadleader_id wrote:
Much better looking maps than those made using the Blitzkrieg 2 map editor

This is good news.

Do I take it that fisheye can be eliminated in the editor with a god's-eye-view?

... and is it possible to export a map as one big graphics file, so that you are not having to stitch silly wee screenshots together?

Finally, how does 3D importing work?

This is 3d Engine/ Editor so Fisheye cannot be totally eliminated (do, still haven't tried if the recent build of the game allows for further tweaking of the camera)
You can only export what you see in your screen. So to get CC scale you still have to stitch screenshots, or you can simply use its as a resource repository for trees buildings etc.. postwork is still needed

As for importing - a 3dmax pluging is available to export models in to the game (getting models out of the game is not) - moders seem to use Milkshake and Gimp allot - animations are "borrowed" by in-game models. Never done this but I see plenty community made vehicles/ models fully working.

Therion

Rep: 27.4
votes: 4

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:04 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, 3D Studio Max is an awesome modding tool - for just 3500$ Very Happy !

Wonderland - my mod for Armored Brigade

Killing for peace is like fucking for orgasm.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess

Jump to: