Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1214
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Author
Bungarra

Rep: 137.6
votes: 5

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:32 am Post subject: VERDICT opinions on L/day Reply with quote

So die hard CC fans,

What is your opinion on latest offering from Matrix Games?

Is it worth the money?

You know if you don't live it.... You can't give it.

Nomada_Firefox

Rep: 32.9
votes: 9

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:04 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not bought it, I do not go to pay 40$ on it, too expensive.

"Nada escapa a mis dominios".
Clan Nomada Web Site
FirefoxCCMods Web Site
(Only www.FirefoxCCMods.com is a English web site).

squadleader_id

Rep: 53.2
votes: 7

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:20 pm Post subject: Some notes... Reply with quote

This is just a very early report...I've only played a handful of single battles and previewed one of the Ops.
Some notes:

* Nice work on the night battles! Finally battles in the dark in CC! The night explosion effects, illuminations and flames are a nice touch (albeit a bit crude).
BTW, CC3 (West Front mod, IIRC) had night battles with darkened map graphics and specially made "night elements" file (without graphical effects of course)...I'm asuming that now in CCTLD the exe is handling the the elements adjustments for night battles?
* I like the new CCMT style Team Icons artwork...simple but easy to understand and get used to!
* VLs for Allies = US Flag...but CCTLD doesn't only cover the US Utah sector anymore.
* What happened to the realistic weapons artwork that S3T used in CCWAR? Now we're back to using the old CC5 weapons artwork (ugly Kar98k and M1 Garand!)
* The uniforms are from stock CC5 (with Brit uniforms from GJS mod), I'm used to using the cc5uniformmod for realistic/historic US and German uniforms...and they're a lot better than the stock CC5 US and German uniforms used in CCTLD.
The AFVs and vehicles have been reworked with historical camo schemes, but the uniforms were somewhat overlooked...I guess the developers prefer to play with the tiny soldiers mod? Wink
* The interface is still locked with black borders...I'm getting used to this...but players should be able to choose between full screen stretched or in a tiny box. The interface for Classic CC5 included in CCTLD is so tiny displayed with huge black borders at 1600x* (locked at 800x600?)...I hope interface for mods won't all look like this.
* I've also noticed a few minor overlooked details:
- Only 1 type of Stens (graphically = Sten MkII)...so Brit Paras are shown using Sten MkII instead of MkV. Also Brit Para Officers using Enfield Revolver instead of Colts.
- US AB using M1 Carbine instead of M1A1 Carbine,
- Osttruppen Russian weapons should use their German designations.
- US AB gun crews wearing army uniforms
- There were new ranks graphics for US AB in CCWAR...with khaki M42 uniforms...these were out of place in CCWAR (US AB should be wearing green M43 by this time)...but should be used in CCTLD. The current CCTLD US AB ranks graphics are stock green uniforms (same as Army).

Okay...thanks for all your work and efforts with CCTLD, guys!
Now I've got to get back to my men and try to get them off the damned beaches! Smile

Kojusoki

Rep: 22.7

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:30 am Post subject: Reply with quote

how about GameSpy? Is it supported?
what about the famous CCV bugs? Are they removed?

Last edited by Kojusoki on Mon May 04, 2009 12:53 am; edited 1 time in total

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:39 am Post subject: Re: Some notes... Reply with quote

squadleader_id wrote:
I'm asuming that now in CCTLD the exe is handling the the elements adjustments for night battles?

Correct....

Nomada_Firefox

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:54 am Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the AI? People is telling me that it is worse like on one old CC5. Other bad things are the code on maps, people tell that he can not put the troops on bunkers and other elements. They tell that the GJS and Bloody Omaha maps run worse than on the old CC5.

Clan Nomada Web Site
FirefoxCCMods Web Site

squadleader_id

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:20 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted about discovering early some surprisingly good AI performance (reminds me of CC2 AI) at the Matrix forum...not bad IMHO...but I need to play a lot more CCTLD to really test the AI.
The huge maps from GJS (and some from Bloody Omaha) are always going to give the AI problems (both defending and attacking).
I like the way Girlie Soldier (TM) is toned down and that troops are now actually rushing to get to cover after aborting their assault due to enemy fire.

The thing is...besides night battles and some reworked bigger maps...there's really nothing new in CCTLD for longtime CC fans. Most longtime CC players have probably already played to death most of the original CC5, GJS and Omaha maps too.

Pzt_Decoy

Rep: 25.7

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:35 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Having played the first round of the GC and a couple of single battles i must say i a impressed with this release and IMO finally a step forward after the WaR debacle..night battles are sweet and its nice to see they put some tought on it and not just add it as a cheap sale tactic..

The AI is decent imo, and like Squadleader said it reminded me of CC2 as well, but than again i couldnt care less about the AI as its been from 1990 or so since i played vs the AI Very Happy

Some minor problems wich are mentioned by Squadleader but for the rest a very polished product although i have only played for about a week now..

The only thing bothering me so far is they used the stock CC5 data it seems for mortars and atg's (mortars can easily destroy ATG when it is not in a building or a bunker) they usually destroy the guns with a couple of shells.
And Gamespy is not included or supported for some strange reason.

I am enjoying this game very much , it has great atmosphere and this could be better than CC5 (technically speaking) and it is still the game we all love. Thanks for bringing this game out !

Cheers.

Kojusoki

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:28 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

So no GameSpy...
How about the bugs like 0000 crash and other H2H...issues?

Does it have same features like WaR has according to start level? I mean when morale goes down, a BG can regroup on the rear? And when a BG is out of supply it cannot move when its Armoured?

Tejszd

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 1:42 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Kojusoki wrote:
So no GameSpy...
How about the bugs like 0000 crash and other H2H...issues?

Does it have same features like WaR has according to start level? I mean when morale goes down, a BG can regroup on the rear? And when a BG is out of supply it cannot move when its Armoured?

Yes, The Longest Day has all the WAR features plus some of its own....

Tejszd

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 1:48 am Post subject: Reply with quote

squadleader_id wrote:
I posted about discovering early some surprisingly good AI performance (reminds me of CC2 AI) at the Matrix forum...not bad IMHO...but I need to play a lot more CCTLD to really test the AI.
The huge maps from GJS (and some from Bloody Omaha) are always going to give the AI problems (both defending and attacking).
I like the way Girlie Soldier (TM) is toned down and that troops are now actually rushing to get to cover after aborting their assault due to enemy fire.

The thing is...besides night battles and some reworked bigger maps...there's really nothing new in CCTLD for longtime CC fans. Most longtime CC players have probably already played to death most of the original CC5, GJS and Omaha maps too.

There are some other important changes;

- ability to rest battlegroups
- ability to use larger maps than CC5
- different sized battlegroups (max. number of squads that can be sent to battle)
- Expanded strat map display
- play in windowed mode

Nomada_Firefox

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:17 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
ability to rest battlegroups

It is a useless ability.
Quote:
- ability to use larger maps than CC5

Nothing new, we saw it on WAR.
Quote:
- different sized battlegroups (max. number of squads that can be sent to battle)

It is a more useless ability than rest battlegroups. We want more teams on battle, we do not want delete them.
Quote:

Expanded can be but we can not take a complete image from all the strategy map, it is not good if you want see all the operation.
[/quote]

Clan Nomada Web Site
FirefoxCCMods Web Site

Pzt_Decoy

Rep: 25.7

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:38 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Nomada with all due respect but how can you have an opinion if you havent even bought the game...

Dont buy the game if you think its not worth it..fine , but please dont try and break the game down when you havent even played it...

Nomada_Firefox

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:42 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Pzt_Decoy wrote:
Nomada with all due respect but how can you have an opinion if you havent even bought the game...

Because god gave me the ability of to read. With all the respect, Pzt_Decoy, I have not critized nothing that I must play, if you can read a preview, you can analize it.

I do not go to buy some like this and better that I do not buy it because my opinion would be worse probably when I analize it on detail.

And Pzt_Decoy, I do not know you but people know me and I´m sure that they see me qualified for make a preview without test a CC game. Probably I have defended more CC games than you on all your life.

Clan Nomada Web Site
FirefoxCCMods Web Site

Kojusoki

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:15 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

well I must afree with Pzt_Decoy that if somebody didnt had a chance to check shoudnt tell and especially critizie. It is like a priest talking about sex;)

platoon_michael

Rep: 56.2
votes: 25

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:30 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing as how Forefox and I have probably played CCV,GJS and B.O to death I thinks it's ok to break down the game you havent played.I.E. tLD
The night thing doesnt make sense to me.
Same map,same thing, just cant see the entire map.
I dont get it?

The lack of any of the features that were first seen in CCM confuses me?
2on2 (or more) H2H,vehicles carring troops,digging in

Those things seem more interesting than night Battles.
Quote:
-ability to use larger maps than CC5

------Great bigger maps same amount of squads (15)

Quote:

------answer to the above problem of bigger maps (sort of) but how are they gonna fit in the houses?One cant get the guy with the MG into the window in WAR.Or is my termanolgy wrong here?
Quote:
- play in windowed mode
--------ahh ok great, dont we as a people
multi-task enough as it is?

Quote:

Still would love to see an ingame screen shot of what that means,is it expanded like WAR to the point where you cant see anything?
Or expanding the amout one can view?

And why would one release it so close to WAR?
They havent even fixed the maps on WAR and now they have another game to maybe trouble shoot?

Kojusoki

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:41 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont want to defend the developers, as im pissed on them for "SOME" unfinished things at WAR, but come on guys,... IT IS A RERELEASE. Not a new game. I could complain if it would be called a NEW game. But it is not...
And they ask 50$ for this? Well I treat it as a maintienece fee for developers (its their job. reRelease is a kind of consumer service or post sale support). I dont like paying 50$ for same thing and i dont buy. I agree i dont get some bugs fixed. Im pissed they didnt made it (fixing bugs) before but this is how world works:)

It sucks I know but its real life Very Happy

Therion

Rep: 27.4
votes: 4

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:22 am Post subject: Reply with quote

platoon_michael wrote:
Quote:
- play in windowed mode

Playing in window isn't for multi-tasking - it's for doing something when waiting for something interesting to happen Razz .

Wonderland - my mod for Armored Brigade

Killing for peace is like fucking for orgasm.

squadleader_id

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:31 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Kojusoki...we have to remember that WAR and now TLD are just rereleases based on the CC5 engine...so despite the enhancements...there's always the inherited CC5 engine limitations. IMO TLD was a bit rushed out the door (barely 6 months after WAR?). There are some stuff and details that's a bit unpolished and should have been ironed out during testing.
Then again...a majority of the maps and data were imported from popular mods (GJS, BO)...so maybe that's why the dev team only needed less than 6 months to complete TLD?

@platoon_michael:
Expanded Stratmap display? Might be referring to the new Stratmap feature...if you press the space bar...you can see the Stratmap arrow connections. The Stratmap view is still in a limited scrollable window though.

squadleader_id

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:39 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Therion wrote:
platoon_michael wrote:
Quote:
- play in windowed mode

Playing in window isn't for multi-tasking - it's for doing something when waiting for something interesting to happen Razz .

Well, I guess it's a cool feature if you have a dual display setup...CC battles on one display...other apps on the other display Very Happy
Or maybe someday...TLD battle on one screen...and WAR battle on the second screen! Razz

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat The Longest Day
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jump to: