Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1213
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
rob86

Rep: 1.4

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:29 pm Post subject: What's the difference between CC5 and CC3? Reply with quote

Is there a big difference between CC5 and CC3? Same style graphics with different units and maps or are there really significant improvements and additions? I like CC3 so I don't care if it CC5 was changed much, just curious.

AT_Stalky

Rep: 27.4
votes: 10

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:12 pm Post subject: Re: What's the difference between CC5 and CC3? Reply with quote

In CC5 you also has the strategic layer, and that interacts with the tactical gameplay, so grabing the right VL or hold the right VL is so v importent in CC5, it give a real value to VLs in a grater context.

Therion

votes: 4

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:13 pm Post subject: Re: What's the difference between CC5 and CC3? Reply with quote

They added a strategic minigame and C&C-style super-weapons. So, you are no longer a commander of your unit that is thrown around the war-torn world, but some kind of divine God Emperor, that commands whole campaign and commands every single unit in tactical battles.

Wonderland - my mod for Armored Brigade

Killing for peace is like fucking for orgasm.

rob86

Rep: 1.4

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:01 pm Post subject: Re: What's the difference between CC5 and CC3? Reply with quote

I've been playing CC5  myself the last few days for the first time. It has some benefits over CC3 and in my opinion a lot of "downgrades". There's a few things that bother me about CC5. I haven't played a full campaign yet, but I've played a couple operations, and as the Germans lacking supplies, I found myself in half a dozen difficult but almost the same battles on the same map. It was very repetitive. I could never push the americans out of the area but held them back. Every battle was time consuming since the Americans had tanks and I had infantry. I couldn't capture supplies because the americans kept attacking before I could meet them in the supply area. I couldn't finish them off because their morale always dropped and I wasn't getting many VP's for it. Eventually, after like 4 games each on the same couple maps, I cheated and erased my enemies units just to finish the operation and move on.

The battle group/unit selection screen also looks awful in my opinion. The CC3 screen was minimalistic, decent colours, simple, crisp and clear. The CC5 screen has huge pixelated icons (which don't match the relatively clear look of the actual maps on high res). I don't like that it takes up so much space, it makes it more difficult to see what units are in my BG. There is also no little informational tidbits on the units. There doesn't seem to be many units to choose from either, it's really simplified. Maybe this is realistic and what was really used, but it was more interesting when there were more units to choose from.

The maps themselves, well I haven't played them all, but they seem to be almost all the same from what I've seen so far. In CC3 the maps looked really good, the green grass maps were very pleasing on the eyes, and every one was fun and required different strategies. Maybe I haven't been looking, but I haven't seen a single hill in Invasion Normandy yet. It's almost entirely hedges, and buildings, hedges, buildings. Crawling through the hedges was interesting at first, but it gets repetitive. Maybe this is a realistic depiction of normandy, flat land with hedges, I don't know, but for gaming it's kind of boring over and over in every map.

There are some good things about CC5, the explosions seem to look better, and the "SuperWeapons" are a nice addition. Surprisingly I find myself looking at the soldier status screen after a battle more than I ever did with CC3. I guess the big icons appeal to me there.

The strategic map of course is one of the best improvements, unfortunately, it's so hard to look at it's almost annoying. I know it's an older game, but everything still seems awfully pixelated and overly large even on a high res setting. I wish there was a mod to update the strategic map and make it smaller or something. I never even noticed that CC3 was an older game because all the menus looked nice and modern. Maybe it was due to their simplicity.  In CC5, it's very distracting that everything is large and blurry. Once you're in the battle it looks fine though.

It's not that I really dislike CC5, as it's still a CC game, and I'm playing it, I was just surprised to see so much had changed that in my opinion wasn't as good as the older CC3.

AT_Stalky

votes: 10

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:18 pm Post subject: Re: What's the difference between CC5 and CC3? Reply with quote

rob86 wrote (View Post):

The battle group/unit selection screen also looks awful in my opinion. The CC3 screen was minimalistic, decent colours, simple, crisp and clear. The CC5 screen has huge pixelated icons (which don't match the relatively clear look of the actual maps on high res). I don't like that it takes up so much space, it makes it more difficult to see what units are in my BG. There is also no little informational tidbits on the units. There doesn't seem to be many units to choose from either, it's really simplified. Maybe this is realistic and what was really used, but it was more interesting when there were more units to choose from.

Well, Iv forgot much about CC3, but if i remember right one buy units in CC3, and depend on how much points one have one may buy any type of unit?
Playing CC5 one have a battalion/reg (BGs) and its attachments and that’s what we have access to.
One have so many BGs in a GC one will fights with BGs that are depleted, recruits, veteran, elit, infantry, tank BGs, and that is perhaps the variation that’s add value to the game?

rob86 wrote (View Post):

The maps themselves, well I haven't played them all, but they seem to be almost all the same from what I've seen so far. In CC3 the maps looked really good, the green grass maps were very pleasing on the eyes, and every one was fun and required different strategies. Maybe I haven't been looking, but I haven't seen a single hill in Invasion Normandy yet. It's almost entirely hedges, and buildings, hedges, buildings. Crawling through the hedges was interesting at first, but it gets repetitive. Maybe this is a realistic depiction of normandy, flat land with hedges, I don't know, but for gaming it's kind of boring over and over in every map.

Hmm, sounds like u have played it to much, im only on my 10th year in normandy and still cant get enough.  Laughing
But ok, maybe our taste is not the same, the scenario in Normandy is so much smaller. And CC3 east front is so mush larger - from Poland to Moscow and back to Berlin?..
Then, ofcose all don’t like Normandy, try a mod, u have Africa, Stalingrad, and 2 stalingrad winter, Berlin, Finland, and many many more.

rob86 wrote (View Post):

The strategic map of course is one of the best improvements, unfortunately, it's so hard to look at it's almost annoying. I know it's an older game, but everything still seems awfully pixelated and overly large even on a high res setting. I wish there was a mod to update the strategic map and make it smaller or something. I never even noticed that CC3 was an older game because all the menus looked nice and modern. Maybe it was due to their simplicity.  In CC5, it's very distracting that everything is large and blurry. Once you're in the battle it looks fine though.

Yeh, agree that the stratmap may be hard to get a grip on at first.
And the BG icons are a bit to large and to far apart making them hard to see on what map they really sits on.
A suggestion, look at this map and its more easy to see:
http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/images/stratmaps/normandystratmap.jpg  

rob86 wrote (View Post):

It's not that I really dislike CC5, as it's still a CC game, and I'm playing it, I was just surprised to see so much had changed that in my opinion wasn't as good as the older CC3.

Hm, its a different concept in CC5, more macro view that interacts with tactics.

You (may) have 27  (allied 54) BGs at each side, and they are all different, each may represent a historic regiment/battalion/CP and how it was composed in real life. Each BG having its strength and weaknesses and by use it at the right place on the right map the BG come to its full potential. That includes matching the BG to the right enemy BG and to your intentions and that in it self is a challenge that adds values to CC5.

The second major thing in CC5 is the VLs importance and (I guess) its much different to CC3? In a CC5 GC the VL in them self sort of lacks any “real” value, and instead holding the right VL or grab the right VL becomes so much more important as it allows you to move the BG through the VL (interacts with the strategy layer) or get supplyes through it. This in it self make one fight for logic real values on the tactical map.

It takes many GCs to master all this, if ever.

In GJS (more Normandy hedges.. ) that become even more imp.

Or theres always CC3...  Very Happy

__Creeper__

Rep: 54.4
votes: 1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:36 am Post subject: Re: What's the difference between CC5 and CC3? Reply with quote

rob86 wrote (View Post):
I've been playing CC5  myself the last few days for the first time. It has some benefits over CC3 and in my opinion a lot of "downgrades". There's a few things that bother me about CC5. I haven't played a full campaign yet, but I've played a couple operations, and as the Germans lacking supplies, I found myself in half a dozen difficult but almost the same battles on the same map. It was very repetitive. I could never push the americans out of the area but held them back. Every battle was time consuming since the Americans had tanks and I had infantry. I couldn't capture supplies because the americans kept attacking before I could meet them in the supply area. I couldn't finish them off because their morale always dropped and I wasn't getting many VP's for it. Eventually, after like 4 games each on the same couple maps, I cheated and erased my enemies units just to finish the operation and move on.

How did you erase their units exactly? I have QClone. can you give me a hint?

KGPeiper

Rep: 25.5

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:39 pm Post subject: Re: What's the difference between CC5 and CC3? Reply with quote

__Creeper__ wrote (View Post):

How did you erase their units exactly? I have QClone. can you give me a hint?

I guess that by "erase" he means that he throw out units from enemy BG in the Force Pool screen simply by double-clicking on team  Wink
If you want to do that in Qclone simply delete appropriate line in GETeams/AlsTeams. Then you will need to change FPools and BGroups or game will crash at some point. To do this nice and fast use tool called BGEdit(look for it here, in downloads section)

__Creeper__

Rep: 54.4

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:11 pm Post subject: Re: What's the difference between CC5 and CC3? Reply with quote

Oh I c, I just always wanted an easy way to permanently disban battle worn BGs without haveing them  continue to show up on depo's ahead of fresh BGs.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat 5: Invasion Normandy

Jump to: