Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1212
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Author
diggin.robat

Rep: 39.7
votes: 2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:41 pm Post subject: Re: War Movies Reply with quote

A new WWI-Movie is comming up on ANZAC-Day in a few days:

This time it´s about the miners at Hill 60 (Messines Ridge 1917):

http://www.beneathhill60.com.au/

Trailer is looking quite good, but nothing breathtaking. Why ist there always a female character in recent WWI-Movies?

diggin

GW modding team
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

diggin.robat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:48 pm Post subject: Re: War Movies Reply with quote

diggin.robat wrote (View Post):

Trailer is looking quite good, but nothing breathtaking. Why ist there always a female character in recent WWI-Movies?

diggin

oops! Not Anzac Day but 15th April!

GW modding team
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

mooxe

Rep: 221.7
votes: 25

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:57 pm Post subject: Re: War Movies Reply with quote

diggin

Did you ever see Passchendaele? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1092082/

Hopefully this new home grown WW1 movie will be good. Passchendaele sucked arse, its got a 6.9/10 on IMDB due to Canadian patriotism.

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

diggin.robat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:28 pm Post subject: Re: War Movies Reply with quote

mooxe wrote (View Post):

diggin

Did you ever see Passchendaele? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1092082/

Hopefully this new home grown WW1 movie will be good. Passchendaele sucked arse, its got a 6.9/10 on IMDB due to Canadian patriotism.

Have seen parts of Passchendaele at Youtube. Well, yes, I understand the feelings of former british colonies, which had to wade through blood and mud until 1918 to produce national identity - sorry for the simplicy.
The plot of belle-epoque-family-home-atmosphere far away from war in contrast to the  eye deep hell of western front seems to be a winning one. So pretty females are a must as well as displays of teutonic battle fury. Battlescences are just fullfilling common idea about WWI-warfare and are ony to illustrate the hellish opposite (war torn old europe?) of the tidy home, far away.

If only Peter Jackson would follow his WWI interest would make a movie with at least impressive fotography: Crossing the Line

I personally doubt that we would see a new WWI-movie as accurate and intriguing as original "All quite on the Western Front" from 1929/30.

GW modding team

Therion

Rep: 27.4
votes: 4

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:07 pm Post subject: Re: War Movies Reply with quote

Tippi-Simo wrote (View Post):
And pretty good review about Inglorious Basterds:

Link

Butthurt detected.

Wonderland - my mod for Armored Brigade

Killing for peace is like fucking for orgasm.

Kevin92

Rep: 19.2

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:33 pm Post subject: Re: War Movies Reply with quote

interesting to hear sum of u guys are watching 'the wind that shakes the barley'.i didnt know it was that popular outside ireland..very good movie though, especialy if u understand the history and context its set in.however it is quite biased and anti-british and could easily be mis-interpreted...if your interested in irish history of the same period id advise watching 'michael collins', not as good as 'the wind that shakes the barley' but still a decent watch except for julia roberts disasterous irish accent!!

vonB

Rep: 32.6
votes: 5

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:01 pm Post subject: Re: War Movies Reply with quote

Love Kelly's Heroes, but it's not a War Film, but a Bank Heist.  Donald Sutherland (Oddball makes that filem).

Cross of Iron.  Great war film.  Nothing Hollywood in it.  Worth it just for that bit at the end where Stransky turns to Steiner saying he doesn't know how to reload his MP40 in the midst of all the shite flying around, and Steinder roaring with laughter.  Classic.

There are a lot of good War Films outside of the Hollywood fantasy portrayals (though they did make one or 2 excellent ones).  Not all of them filmed from the point of view of military combat (Schindler's List for example).

On the other hand, for those that go back far enough, there are the classic British productions such as Norman Wisdom in The Night they Dropped the Clanger.  A bit silly really, but had me fascinated as a boy.  633 Squadron, the Dam Busters...

Band of Brothers is superb as a close up and personal account of war at the time.  Again, not a drop of Hollywood in sight.  Then there's not much more gut renching than the opening of Saving Private Ryan.  Even though I knew what was coming, it took my breath away.

mooxe

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:18 am Post subject: Re: War Movies Reply with quote

Empire of The Sun was thee single best war movie I watched as a child. I hope my son will will love it to when he's old enough.

ArmeeGruppeSud

Rep: 9.5
votes: 7

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 4:16 am Post subject: Re: War Movies Reply with quote

Hi war movie buffs

1st, i'd like to mention some cool war movies so far unmentioned

"CATCH 22" is truly a classic war movie, with many memorable moments, particularly the man on the raft (ouch).
The Audy Murphy biography (cant remember its name)
"BEAST OF WAR" a story about a Russian tank crew in lost in Afganistan pursued by Mujahadin (GREAT Movie)
"Murphies War" something a little different   Wink

My personal collection contains:
Apocalypse Now
Band of Brothers (box set)
Battle of Britain (great movie)
Bridge Too Far
Cross of Iron
Enemy at the gates
Jarhead (Iraq)
MacArthur (biography, i only got this coz i t came it a 2pack with MIDWAY)
Midway (an excellent movie for its time)
Patton (a Hollywood biography, i only got this coz i t came it a 3pack with TTT & TLD)
Platoon
Saving Private Ryan
The Longest Day (old DDay movie)
Thin Red Line
Tora Tora Tora (still the best Pearl Harbour movie)

Some of my previously unmentioned favourites are:

"Alls quiet on the Wewstern Front"
"Blue Max" (WW1 fighter ace movie)
"Bridge on the river Kwai"
"charlie mopic "
"Dam Busters"
"Das Boot" (german)
"Full Metal Jacket"
"Hamburger Hill"
"Iwo Jima"
"Memphis Belle" (great bomber movie)
"Stalingrad" (geman)
"The Lost battalion" (WW1 movie)

@ Tippi-Simo
1st, i think "Enemy at the gates" is a British movie, not US, because of the wide range of English/British accents Wink
2nd, i have not seen any of the Italian, French, Finish or Russian movies you have listed  Sad
When i was a child i did see a subtitled Russian movie about the battle of Kursk, given the English title "One million men, 20,000 tanks!"
Have never heard of it since, i would love to see it again

P.S. Therion has that quote wrong, it should be: "Bombing for Peace, is like, Fucking for Virginity!"

RIP

http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=10576

Infidel

Rep: 25.4

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:29 am Post subject: Re: War Movies Reply with quote

ArmeeGruppeSud wrote (View Post):
Hi war movie buffs...

"BEAST OF WAR" a story about a Russian tank crew in lost in Afganistan pursued by Mujahadin (GREAT Movie)

This is a very good shout.  A gripping film.  I just wanted to second this shout and also just make note, the English and American title for this is simply "The Beast", so if you plan on looking into it (it's worth doing so) be aware of that fact.   Mr. Green

Infidel

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:31 am Post subject: Re: War Movies Reply with quote

Oh and, I saw The Hurt Locker the other day, really brilliant!  Well worth checking out.

Desertmouse

Rep: 54.3

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:23 pm Post subject: Re: War Movies Reply with quote

" the wind that shakes the barley" wow! very powerful and emotionial film, as a true Englishman i almost cried with shame on this one Embarassed  but i suppose all  countries have a past they would like to forget?
most enjoyable film
where eagles dare - good old fashioned war film
"a bridge too far"  for simple fact a good friend of mine father was awarded the MC at arnham for a bayonett charge etc  ( google  Major Geoffrey Powell)
as for "the hurt locker" - sorry guys don't see all the fuss about this one?????????

DOH!

Infidel

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:26 pm Post subject: Re: War Movies Reply with quote

Well I found the ending brilliant.  When asked why he acts the way he does he has no answers, and then signs up for another tour leaving his wife and kid at home.  "360 days left" etc.  Great way to end it.

ArmeeGruppeSud

Rep: 9.5
votes: 7

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:22 pm Post subject: Re: War Movies Reply with quote

Just to mention some blasts from the past

12 O'Clock High (1949) Gregory Peck's film launched the TV series
 Battleground (1949) 1st Battle of the Bulge movie
 From here to eternity (1953) 1st Pearl Harbor movie
 The eagle has landed (1976 not a moon landing)

Also, U-571 (2000) was not too bad, though its 'H' rating is for 'Hollywood', not 'Historical'

Based on this American/Hollywood view that America, single handedly defeated both Germany, and Japan in WW2, Hollywood could make a series of WW2 movies:

KURSK Where General Patton and his legions of M4s defeat Manstein (not Zhukov and the t34s)

BISMARK, where the Bismark is sunk by aircraft from theYorktown after having decimated the British fleet.

EL ALAMAIN yet another US victory over the Germans

KOKODA, Where US troops drive the japs back from Port Moresby

STALINGRAD, Where US tropps liberate the city from the Germans

WOOHOO!!!

go Yanks!!

oh, sorry about that, it just gets up my nose  Wink

RIP

http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=10576

Infidel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:26 pm Post subject: Re: War Movies Reply with quote

ArmeeGruppeSud wrote (View Post):
oh, sorry about that, it just gets up my nose  Wink

Not the only one Very Happy

Everyone now...

"It's a long wayyyy, to Tipperary...!"

kawasaky

Rep: 22.2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:41 pm Post subject: Re: War Movies Reply with quote

In order to avoid repetition let me just throw in a few that weren't mentioned so far:

- Objective: Burma! (Errol Flynn)
- Command Decision (Clark Gable)
- Run Silent, Run Deep (Clark Gable)
- The Enemy Below (R. Mitchum, C.Jürgens)
- When The Trumpets Fade (Ron Eldard)
- Play Dirty (Michael Caine)
- They Were Expendable (John Wayne, Robert Montgomery)
- Hell in the Pacific (Lee Marvin, Toshiro Mifune)
- The Hero Too Late (M.Caine, C.Robertson)
- Battle of Neretva (Everybody Smile )
- Rough Riders (T. Berenger, S.Elliott, G.Busey)
- Taxi to Tobruk (Hardy Krüger)
- The Longest Day (Everybody)

Tippi-Simo

Rep: 53.1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:52 pm Post subject: Re: War Movies Reply with quote

Thanks for your lists AGS & Kawasaky.
There is something on your lists that I have not seen.

"Du talar dalig svenska, men du är bra i sängen"

Tippi-Simo

Rep: 53.1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:01 pm Post subject: Re: War Movies Reply with quote

So got my own copy of Triumph Des Willens couple of days ago.
Dont know if it is smart to pay for open source films but now I have it on DVD plus a 16 page booklet  Question

If you have not seen it watch it here  Arrow
http://www.archive.org/details/TriumphOfTheWillgermanTriumphDesWillens

It is about NSDAP 1934 Congress in Nuremberg directed by admired Leni Riefenstahl.

"Du talar dalig svenska, men du är bra i sängen"

Bordic

Rep: 20.8

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:40 pm Post subject: Re: War Movies Reply with quote

What about:

Where Eagles Dare
The Dirty Dozen

and more serious:

Paisa'

Et agere et pati fortiter romanus est

mooxe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:45 am Post subject: Re: War Movies Reply with quote

Just watched Paths of Glory. Excellent!

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Jump to: