Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1214
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Author
davidssfx

Rep: 16.8
votes: 8

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:57 pm Post subject: Should next generation CC use photorealistic maps? Reply with quote

Should high resolution aerial photographs of actual battlefield sites be used in the next generation of CC, and use similar realistic textures to update the map to resemble it historically?

A high resolution aerial was used in the recently released D-Day Brecourt mod for CC3. The aerial was taken from a helicopter from about 1000 feet overhead, and imported to CC3 with several minor photoshop changes. Although some things weren't able to be realized to completion ... it does give you a base from which to establish an opinion.

CC3Bre.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  453.58 KB
 Viewed:  12006 Time(s)

CC3Bre.jpg

emifisa

Rep: 7.6

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:13 pm Post subject: Re: Should next generation CC use photorealistic maps? Reply with quote

WOOW is fantastic this map even the dark is good Shocked

Bungarra

Rep: 137.6
votes: 5

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:42 am Post subject: Re: Should next generation CC use photorealistic maps? Reply with quote

No offence to the map makers who do a fantastic job through hours of dedication

But she does look pretty damn good  Exclamation

You know if you don't live it.... You can't give it.

Pzt_Crackwise

Rep: 64.9
votes: 1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:42 pm Post subject: Re: Should next generation CC use photorealistic maps? Reply with quote

A great idea!! But in this case we would want the tanks and infantry graphics to look more realistic also Smile

CptCurt

Rep: 8.3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:55 pm Post subject: Re: Should next generation CC use photorealistic maps? Reply with quote

Yes! I wish that someone would do a remake of a mod or a mod with these type of maps. I'm hooked on cc 2-5, but with these maps oh my goodness!

DAK_Legion

Rep: 86.3
votes: 20

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:57 pm Post subject: Re: Should next generation CC use photorealistic maps? Reply with quote

very nice;)

I want to learn to make realistic maps ....

could provide some pointers to make maps?

a quick guide

map size

where you can get these photos,etc,etc

more more thanks

heia Safari!!

emifisa

Rep: 7.6

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:27 pm Post subject: Re: Should next generation CC use photorealistic maps? Reply with quote

But is a Google Earth photo, for create the map.??

davidssfx

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:37 am Post subject: Re: Should next generation CC use photorealistic maps? Reply with quote

DAK_Legion wrote (View Post):
very nice;)

I want to learn to make realistic maps ....

could provide some pointers to make maps?

a quick guide

map size

where you can get these photos,etc,etc

more more thanks

I contracted an aerial photography company to photograph this specific area. They used a helicopter with a stabilizing unit for their high end camera. Without getting into all the details ... the aerial ended up costing me nearly $2000.00 U.S. by the time it (CD) got delivered to my door. As you may probably guess ... I'm not about to do it again any time soon  Rolling Eyes
Also, there was a lot that needed to be done to make it work with CC3:
1) change the shadow direction of soldiers, and vehicles (to match the aerial photo) ... and adjust their hot-points.
2) make new tree canopy graphics
3) resize the image to best match CC3
4) add historical features ... in this case a trench system
5) create interiors, code and roof the map
6) figure out how to do the above ...
7) beg for help ... and thank those who did  Very Happy

One thing that I didn't resolve was the under tree canopy graphics ... due to the amount of time it would take for a novice photoshop person like myself, as well as the lack of extra needed textures, money, etc. Doesn't bother me though since I leave the trees showing anyway (always have).
But it could be done. Another possible solution would be to have no option of removing the "in game" tree canopy graphics ... but have the soldier/vehicle become outline highlighted (highlight seen above tree canopy) while under the canopy, so you can still know exactly where they are.
There are many options available to a company (or person with a lot of money). Also, these high end cameras have nearly doubled their resolution since this was taken in 2005 ... And with modern GPS info, it would probably be possible to code elevation values of the map to the exact real world heights. The list goes on.

Anyhow, it was an idea I had in 2004 ... and this is as far as it went.

davidssfx

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:09 am Post subject: Re: Should next generation CC use photorealistic maps? Reply with quote

forgot #8 on that above list ... emotions while under construction

8)  Idea  Very Happy  Cool  Shocked  Confused  Sad  Crying or Very sad  Mad  Idea  Laughing  Cool  Wink

Bungarra

Rep: 137.6
votes: 5

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:08 pm Post subject: Re: Should next generation CC use photorealistic maps? Reply with quote

Mate you deserve a medal for all of the above

$2000.00  Shocked  man I dips my lid

But one things for sure "YOU" by sheer perserverance and forward thinking have proved it can be done!

We can only hope that perhaps "someone" will take up where you left off

Don't stop dabbling with this Davo you may have reached the depth of your pocket, but not your potential.

Thankyou

You know if you don't live it.... You can't give it.

DAK_Legion

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:08 pm Post subject: Re: Should next generation CC use photorealistic maps? Reply with quote

hi!

I understand the dedication that is leading to these maps realistic .....

watch this old post of CSO by If it's any help ...

http://www.closecombat.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11260

I have not yet learned to make realistic maps:(

heia Safari!!

Buck_Compton

Rep: 64.6
votes: 9

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:38 pm Post subject: Re: Should next generation CC use photorealistic maps? Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I was just going around the forums when I read this... It is ofcourse and intresting idea to produce maps quickly and highly detailed... but I believe this type of map making has 2 down sides.

1) The photo is taken in modern time's... wich means that some battlefields aren't the same as they where in ww2 and ofcourse you would see modern day details like cars etc etc

2) There is no space for manouvring with a map... its nearly impossible to redo a map or move a road or a tree line in order to create cover or more manouvre abillity...

So I still prefer the good old hand made maps. But I won't withhold good intentions ;)

Keep up the good work

Cheers Buck

If you are short of everything but enemy, you are in the combat zone.

US_Brake

Rep: 24.2
votes: 22

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:25 am Post subject: Re: Should next generation CC use photorealistic maps? Reply with quote

Creating a large minature of the battlefield then taking a photo from an elevated height above might work?  

The most qualified for this job? some super diarama builder out there I guess ?

I would't recommend testing this in your back yard, you would end up with a divorce and scene out of Close Encounters. Smile

Close-Encounters-of-the-Third-Kind.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  6.98 KB
 Viewed:  11834 Time(s)

Close-Encounters-of-the-Third-Kind.jpg

Close Combat's most infamous SOB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

davidssfx

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:52 am Post subject: Re: Should next generation CC use photorealistic maps? Reply with quote

US_Brake wrote (View Post):
Creating a large minature of the battlefield then taking a photo from an elevated height above might work?  

The most qualified for this job? some super diarama builder out there I guess ?

I would't recommend testing this in your back yard, you would end up with a divorce and scene out of Close Encounters. Smile

Laughing

US_Brake

Rep: 24.2
votes: 22

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:10 am Post subject: Re: Should next generation CC use photorealistic maps? Reply with quote

I hope your efforts in photorealism pays off davidssfx. For you and all wargamers waiting on that game to be made.

Close Combat's most infamous SOB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

davidssfx

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:43 am Post subject: Re: Should next generation CC use photorealistic maps? Reply with quote

I hope your efforts in photorealism pays off davidssfx. For you and all wargamers waiting on that game to be made.

Thanks ... but that was it for me. It would take some big money to get any further  Smile

CSO_Talorgan

Rep: 72.5
votes: 1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:01 pm Post subject: Re: Should next generation CC use photorealistic maps? Reply with quote

... or creating a scene using 3D software and then taking a plan-view screenshot.

DAK_Legion

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:37 pm Post subject: Re: Should next generation CC use photorealistic maps? Reply with quote

Hi All

A photorealistyc Map by Google Earth Wink

T-62 Destroyed the Lybian Pipeline Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil

UO0001.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  158.61 KB
 Viewed:  11529 Time(s)

UO0001.jpg

heia Safari!!

Manoi

Rep: 89.5
votes: 7

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:58 pm Post subject: Re: Should next generation CC use photorealistic maps? Reply with quote

No aerial picture will ever replace the art of the modders! Wink

platoon_michael

Rep: 56.2
votes: 25

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:34 pm Post subject: Re: Should next generation CC use photorealistic maps? Reply with quote

That pic looks like crap regardless of the resolution.

The realistic photo for maps is a horrible idea.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jump to: