Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1213
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
spearoligist

Rep: 43.8

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:37 am Post subject: H2H on a LAN or a cross over eithernet cable. CC5. Reply with quote

H2H on a LAN or a cross over eithernet cable. CC5.

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone could help,
 I had a look around the old help articles and couldn't see anything.  
A friend and I wish to play CC5 against each other over a local area network (Plug in or wireless) or via a cross over either net cable.

There is a connection to the internet but it is very slow, (okay for slow web browsing but not  games or downloading , e.g.. YouTube doesn't work well)     (we are on a ship)
Both the computers are connected to the LAN normally and can get internet.
Does anybody know how to make the two computers talk to each other, so we  can play CC5 H2H games?
or CC5 on one computer find the CC5 on the other computer.

Is there a setting in the multiplayer screen that need to selected?

Will Hamaci work without a internet connection?   Could it find another player over a LAN?
Will it find the other player on the internet then switch to the LAN as it the closest connection?

The Operating systems are   XP to XP    or    Xp to Vista

Got any tips?
 Thank you very much

Regards
 Spearoligist

vonB

Rep: 32.6
votes: 5

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:50 pm Post subject: Re: H2H on a LAN or a cross over eithernet cable. CC5. Reply with quote

Rather a lot of if's and but's, mostly related to Networking.  I remember setting up Offshore LAN's (Rigs and Ships) with Satcom connectivity for Voice and Data, and H2H Gaming was not on the 'Policy'.  So much depends on how the LAN is set up, and what provision for Internet.  Being likely a Satellite based connection (?), there will be issues of latency/lag, and H2H game stability could suffer.

1). Direct Cable Connection:

The easiest way that I can see is either to use a crossover cable as you indicate, or use a small hub/switch to connect your 2 PC's on a personal LAN.  If you do that, then you will probably need to set up your NIC Properties manually.  How does your LAN do that now?  Most likely using a DHCP Service.  All this does is set the TCPIP Settings for your NIC so it can access network resources.  If this is the case, then your Network Properties are probably configured to 'Auto' (this is normally the default).

If you have to set up your NIC manually, then it should be quite straight forward.  If you use a crossover cable, it doesn't matter what IP Numbers you use as it is going to be discreet, but might as well use the accepted private IP numbers used for the purpose.  Go into the Network Properties of your NIC and change them to 'Manual' with the following Settings:

Computer 1:

IP#: 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Computer 2:

IP#: 192.168.0.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

There should be no need for a Default Gateway as you are both on the same Subnet and physical wired network using a crossover cable.

With the Computers connected, open a command window and try and PING the other Computer, i.e.:

PING 192.168.0.2

If you get a 'Timed out' message then there is something wrong with the Cable or Settings.  You should get a 'Reply from...' message which indicates a valid connection.

With the networking in place, you can launch one of the CC's as the Host and connect using the other, as for any H2H game.

If you want to connect back to the Ship's LAN/Internet, then remember to change the Settings back to Auto (this is required if using a DHCP service to set your Network properties).

2). Using the Ship's LAN.

When you are connected to the Ship's LAN, can you see other Computers on the LAN?  If you want to try it between the 2 of you, you will need to find out what your IP# is, and you can do that from a command prompt by typing IPCONFIG /ALL

Try and PING that Number from the other Computer.  If you are able to do this both ways, then you can probably go ahead and set up a H2H Game using the IP# of the 'Host' to connect to from the other Computer.

If the LAN Policies allow it, then this is most likley the easiest way as there is no configuration to be done, just find out what your IP# is and set up the game from there.

If none of this seems to work, tell us what you have tried and we'll see if we can help you through...

spearoligist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:16 pm Post subject: Re: H2H on a LAN or a cross over eithernet cable. CC5. Reply with quote

Hi VonB,

Thanks for the reply,

I think the easiest way for us to connect will be via the existing LAN and use the function you described to find out the IP addresses (Step 2)
Then tell CC5 to find the other computers IP address.
If we start changing settings there is a good chance that some thing will get screwed up.

If we use the IP address to play against each other will that work over any type of connection (wifi,   ad hock network, etc) as the host game knows where to find the other game?

I think the LAN is fairly open its for accessing the data storage drives and internet.   Think some of the other guys have been playing games on it in the past.

Am signing on late next week,    will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again
Regards

Spearoligist

vonB

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:28 pm Post subject: Re: H2H on a LAN or a cross over eithernet cable. CC5. Reply with quote

Quote:
If we use the IP address to play against each other will that work over any type of connection (wifi,   ad hock network, etc)

Absolutely.  It is only the Hosts IP# (the one that sets up the Game) that you will really need as you will have to enter that IP# into the other PC trying to connect to the Game.

If the LAN is reasonably open, then you should not have a problem.  If you do get problems, just give the details here if you do not have a friendly tech on board who can help you through.

Bottom line is that both PC's will need to be able to 'see' each other on the LAN, which is normal, but not always allowed depending on the Policies in effect for that Network.  All you can do then is to ask the Network Admins what options there are (for Peer to Peer connectivity).  Though it could still be done routing through the Internet, in your case, not recommended if it's a Satellite connection.  The latency would kill your game connection at some time almost guaranteed.  CC being a real time sim needs a reliable connection.

All being well, it should be a simple enough affair to get it going, though you may still need to deal with any Security Services (i.e. Firewall) that you have running on your PC's.  Not only must the PC's be able to connect at the IP level, certain Ports need to be 'Open'.  If the LAN is on a 'Trusted' Network (according to  your Security Software), then that should be taken care of, but there is then the issue do you want others to be able to see your PC resources?  Ho hum... one day they will make all this a no brainer.  Until then....

p.s., you can use PING to find out the IP# of another Computer using the Computer Name (if the Services are enabled).  i.e. if you know that the name of the PC is for example SHIP-PC1, then you would type in the Command Window PING SHIP-PC1 (from the other PC).  If your PC is able to resolve the Name (normal if NetBIOS is enabled, or there is a local DNS Service running), then you will get the IP# shown in the result as well.  But like I said, it will depend on how the Network has been set up to assign Networking properties, and any Policies in effect, though this 'shouldn't' effect Peer to Peer level connectivity, but it could...

p.p.s.  When using the IPCONFIG Command, you are looking for the entries related to the Network Interface used to connect to the LAN.  Probably an Ethernet Adapter of some sort.  This should also work for a Wireless Adapter (it's just another Interface after all....).

p.p.p.s.  If your Network uses a DHCP Service to assign Network properties, then your IP could change each time you connect, so you will have to check your IP# (i.e. don't assume it will be the same as it was last time...).

Sorry about all the guff.  It might all just work first time with no hassles!  Here's hoping...

spearoligist

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 6:50 pm Post subject: Re: H2H on a LAN or a cross over eithernet cable. CC5. Reply with quote

Hi VonB,

Thanks for all the help,     unfortunately my friends computer is running vista and try as we might
we couldn’t get the multiplayer screen to work on CC5.
 I had a read of help forums posts and nothing suggested seemed to work.
Bugger,

So It will have to wait I guess.  

Any way,  Thanks again for all  the help.

Regards
Spearoligist

vonB

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:13 pm Post subject: Re: H2H on a LAN or a cross over eithernet cable. CC5. Reply with quote

Nil desperandum spearoligist.  There has to be a way.  What have you tried?

Hosting on the Vista Box and connecting via XP?
Hosting on an XP Box and connecting via Vista?

Is the Host able to open the Multiplayer Screen but the Client does not connect, or does the Multiuplayer screen not open/crash/hang/?....

I am assuming that your are both on a 'Trusted' Network as far as any Security Software you have running is concerned.  If not, then there will likely be issues as there has to be certain ports available for the connectivyt to work.  A local private Netowrk tends to be classified as 'Trusted' by default, but may need checking.  What are you using?

I can't beleive there isn't a way.  If you are up for it, we can keep on trying to bang the rocks together.  If we crack it, you get the pleasure of H2H virtual combat, and the Community gets some valuable intelligence.  Hang in there if you can....

spearoligist

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:55 pm Post subject: Re: H2H on a LAN or a cross over eithernet cable. CC5. Reply with quote

Hi VonB

Okay the situation as I see it is,

The XP machine is all okay CC5 game running fine.

The Vista machine game plays okay against AI,    The multiplayer screen is blank (please see the pic.)

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/8692/capture1zk7.jpg

we haven't got as far as the network connection yet; as the Vista computer doesn't get the multiplayer screen.

We tried running CC5 on the vista machine
                                           Win 95 mode -- OKAY
                                           Win 98 mode --Okay
                                           Other ones NT, 2000, XP SP2    the game didn’t launch.

I read some of the help notes and couldn’t see a easy way around.......

So two steps,
 1, will download and install "Virtual PC 2007" from Microsoft
and see if CC5 on the vista computer can get the multiplayer screen.

That being successful. Step 2, attempt a multiplayer game and see if the computers can connect via IP addresses.
   Stay tuned.........  
will report back in a day or two

Regards
Spearoligist

[img]C:\Documents and Settings\user\Desktop[/img]

vonB

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:34 pm Post subject: Re: H2H on a LAN or a cross over eithernet cable. CC5. Reply with quote

Thanks for the Feedback.  I got CC5 to work on my Win7 box by using the Compatibility Troubleshooter which set the Mode to XP SP2.  Also make sure to run as Admin.  Never tried on Vista but I would have thought it should.  I might borrow my daughters Vista PC Laptop and see if I can find a way.

Thanks for the screen pic.  A picture speaks a thousand words!  Now I see what you mean.

The Virtual PC approach sounds good if your System will support it.

Have you installed the CCV Patch?

I will remain on standby.  If we can resolve this, it is good intel for the Community...

Ejergard

Rep: 8.1

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 12:45 am Post subject: Re: H2H on a LAN or a cross over eithernet cable. CC5. Reply with quote

Not of much help probably, but I'm playing on Vista OS aswell, and I remember there was alot of fiddling to get CC5 working properly, but it worked out eventually. Now I have the MP-screen and everything. This was so long ago, and I don't want to reset my system and try to figure it out again, so can't give any clues how I did it :S

vonB

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:07 am Post subject: Re: H2H on a LAN or a cross over eithernet cable. CC5. Reply with quote

Well it actually is a help, because it confirms that it has been done and we are not just pissing into the wind  Wink

vonB

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 6:42 pm Post subject: Re: H2H on a LAN or a cross over eithernet cable. CC5. Reply with quote

Right, I have just tried installing CCV Invasion Normandy on a Vista Home Premium System.  I ran the installer (Setup.exe) from the CD (not Autorun) and set Compatibility Mode to XP SP2 and Run as Administrator.  Installation went fine.  Did not lainch the game at this stage.

I then installed the 5.01 Patch (again setting Compatibility and Admin Modes Before running).  No issues.

I set the Compatibility and Admin Modes for the CCV Shortcut before launching the Game.

All I can say is that is worked seamlesly.  Not an error or glitch in sight.  Multiplayer Screen opened fine.  In fact, I was quite surprised, as I was expecting some hassles, but not one!  it behaved as if it was designed for Vista it was that smooth.

Only slight niggle was that when selecting 'Host' a game, it insisted on using the external IP of my Router, and not the internal private IP# of the PC's Netowrk Interface.  I don't know what it will do for you, so we can cross that hurdle IF it happens.  I say this is a niggle, because I tried to connect from another CCV, but it also insisted that it's IP# was the external IP# of the Router, and you can't have a Server and a Client on the same IP#!!!!.  Not only that, it would have meant messing around with Firewall etc (all taken care of on a private 'Trusted' Network).

As I have never played CCV Multiplayer, it has not been an issue I have had to deal with, but maybe it has been experienced and resolved by others?

But it does demonstrate that CCV *should* work ok on Vista.

MF_Church

Rep: 26

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:35 pm Post subject: Re: H2H on a LAN or a cross over eithernet cable. CC5. Reply with quote

I'm GLUED to this THREAD!   :D

I have cc5 installed and got the Lastest and most wonderful mod. called Scheldt hoping to play ONLINE with a live opponent!

But after trying to Connect and inquiries going something like this, " cc5 does have connect problems and prob. router issues etc."

So i play against A.I. which is ok......  but predictable  :|

SO keep up the good work gents! and thanks for what you have posted to date!

:D

spearoligist

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:06 pm Post subject: Re: H2H on a LAN or a cross over eithernet cable. CC5. Reply with quote

Hi VonB,

Apologies for the late reply,

okay the news,

I uninstalled CC5 and patch and then reinstalled using the technique that you recommended,  
but alas the multiplayer screen was still missing the buttons.
I tried installing a few times from the CD or the start screen, but didn’t make any difference.
and launched the game in win 95-98 and XP modes.
 Interesting the XP SP2 mode worked this time, where originally it didn’t.
Also don’t know if makes any difference the administrator button in the preferences screen was grayed out.

I guess the next step would be, to run the game in "Virtual PC 2007"
Hmmm,  

(My friend is starting to think that it can't be done.)

Other than that don’t know.  
  I will keep plugging away.    
If I get any good news I will report back.

Thanks again for all the help

Regards
Spearoligist.

vonB

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:49 pm Post subject: Re: H2H on a LAN or a cross over eithernet cable. CC5. Reply with quote

Hey, no worries about the time.  it takes as long as it takes.  I'll hang in here as long as you do...  Cool

Quote:
Also don’t know if makes any difference the administrator button in the preferences screen was grayed out

? I am not quite sure where you mean, but the fact that an Administrator function is not available does raise an alarm.  For example, CC needs to have access to the Registry.  It reads from it, but more importantly needs to be able to write to it.  If that function was denied, then there would be problems.  It may not be that, but I'd like to follow up on this one (the apparant lack of Admin functionality).

I think that running in a Virtual PC should have good prospects, but you will still need appropriate Administration rights.

I think you said you are using Vista?  Here is a good link to running 'XP Mode' on a Vista machine which you may find interesting.  However, it would require a copy of XP which you may not have available.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/11060/create-an-xp-mode-for-windows7-home-versions-and-vista/

I am guessing a bit here, but I think that when you launch the Multiplayer, CC will look for available connectivity to use.  If for any reason they were not available (due to lack of access rights etc), then maybe that might result in what you are seeing (or not seeing as the case may be  Wink ).

Hang in there.  It definately works on Vista, so we just have to work out what issues there is with your Vista, so we will start with the "administrator button in the preferences screen "

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess -> H2H Multiplayer

Jump to: