Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1214
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Author
platoon_michael

Rep: 56.2
votes: 25

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:49 am Post subject: Re: Players Debate - Modding Re-releases Reply with quote

AT_Stalky wrote (View Post):
Why have moders not migrated to the new games…

The problem has been pointed to EVEN before WaR was relised, and argued by the moders many time after WaR was relised, BUT the developer has not listened..

The main problem is the strategy editing tool, or rather the missing strat edit tool for WaR and TLD. The CC5 moders had this tool for CC5, and it has been essential for moding the strat map.
I bet we will se porting of old CC5 - 44 map mods to TLD, but I doubt we see any or many 64 map mods or new strat may layouts as long as there is no strat edit tool.

However, seemingly many moders has given up moding CC after voicing this and the poor, slow respond from the developer.

But maybe it’s all to slow to late and to sad.

Doesn't Mafi's BED9v.1.02 thing work?

platoon_michael

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:50 am Post subject: Re: Players Debate - Modding Re-releases Reply with quote

I also thought Firefox was able to put in a new strat map as well as Tejszd

AT_Stalky

Rep: 27.4
votes: 10

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:26 pm Post subject: Re: Players Debate - Modding Re-releases Reply with quote

platoon_michael wrote (View Post):
I also thought Firefox was able to put in a new strat map as well as Tejszd

I have no idea what TJ is doing, but isnt FFs mod portings of old CC5 mods, thus strategy map editing is made in the old strategy editing tool for CC5. Creating a new strat map with 64 mas is another matter, totaly.

AT_Stalky

votes: 10

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:43 pm Post subject: Re: Players Debate - Modding Re-releases Reply with quote

platoon_michael wrote (View Post):
Why have moders not migrated to the new games…

The problem has been pointed to EVEN before WaR was relised, and argued by the moders many time after WaR was relised, BUT the developer has not listened..

The main problem is the strategy editing tool, or rather the missing strat edit tool for WaR and TLD. The CC5 moders had this tool for CC5, and it has been essential for moding the strat map.
I bet we will se porting of old CC5 - 44 map mods to TLD, but I doubt we see any or many 64 map mods or new strat may layouts as long as there is no strat edit tool.

However, seemingly many moders has given up moding CC after voicing this and the poor, slow respond from the developer.

But maybe it’s all to slow to late and to sad.

Doesn't Mafi's BED9v.1.02 thing work?

Yeh, thanks for that info PM, I was not aware that Mafi has relised that tool (I have not read anything here for last two-three month, well hardly anything since last summer).

I loaded Mafis tool up. looks promessing, but I cant at first glance see how automatic it is and if its as super easy to use as the old strat edit to CC5, that automaticly cutting all the 500+ images naming em and setting therex-y position automatically. Maybe someone who tried it can give a quick summing up of it.

Said that no matter how automatic and user friendly it is, it seem to be a huge step forward, compared to the “NotBook” editing and manually slize and name each of the 500 images.
Maybe theres still hope for a "reall" new mod to the new games afterall.  
Thanks for that Mafi, and thanx again PM

platoon_michael

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:40 pm Post subject: Re: Players Debate - Modding Re-releases Reply with quote

It is not an automatic tool.

I have not used it but I see no difference than that to just using the .txt files.
But that's not a fault of the game.

Who's gonna Mod or even play a Mod from COI?
You date the post at being 2006 when the re-releases came out but all you clowns are die-hard strategic map fans?
I don't ever see any AAR's for COI or CCIII or any of the Mods for that game here.

I want to Bitch but come on lets Bitch about something that gets us going somewhere.

platoon_michael

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:42 pm Post subject: Re: Players Debate - Modding Re-releases Reply with quote

Did the OP even think about what he was posting when he started this thread?

I think NOT  Razz

squadleader_id

Rep: 53.2
votes: 7

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:56 am Post subject: Re: Players Debate - Modding Re-releases Reply with quote

I'm just waiting for the next re-release (CC2 ported to the enhanced CC5 engine?)...when is this thing due out anyway?

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:02 am Post subject: Re: Players Debate - Modding Re-releases Reply with quote

Yes, hopefully a great marriage...

CSO_Sbufkle

Rep: 32.2
votes: 1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:51 pm Post subject: Re: Players Debate - Modding Re-releases Reply with quote

Instead it seems you have constant conflicts with most moders in this community.  

To mention some of the moders you had numerous conflicts with:
1) Dima, co maker of Stalingrad, maker of Utah, GJS-TRSM and probley some more.
2) Sapa, maker of Karelia I/II, and Tali-I,
3) Therion, submod maker to CCMT, and small soldier mod maker
4) PJ, maker of SOC;SDK, SDKDK
5) Squadleader, in making of Soerabaja
6) Stwa, maker of may CCMT mods
7) PM, grapix mods in progress
Cool Firefox, maker of many many many mods
9) [Moders name here]
10) Sbuf, maker of many mods, maps and totorials

You have it wrong, as per Schreck, I did nothing.... its Flamethrower who has done so much...

And damn.. I would have though I was #1 on Shrecks hate list... but thats a very long list, so hitting the top 10 isnt too bad...

Dundradal

Rep: 27.9
votes: 4

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:29 pm Post subject: Re: Players Debate - Modding Re-releases Reply with quote

As someone who is new to this site (although I've been playing CC since the beginning and only recently rediscovered it), I have to say that clearly there is a lot of history here between members (as happens with any gaming community), however I can't recall seeing a community so angry at itself.

You've all done some pretty great things (I've been working my way through the different games mods the last 2 months which I never knew existed until 2 months ago!).

I did notice the lack of mods for CoI, WaR and TLD and it did bother me a bit because I didn't understand why someone wouldn't want to take advantage of new features...but after reading a bit I do understand. I recently purchased all 3 games (CC3/CoI has long been my favorite) so I'm new to the whole strat map thing (although I do enjoy it!).

If anything, shouldn't you all be trying to figure ways to work together to keep the community strong and alive?

I've been a member of the Wing Commander community since the mid-1990s. We've held ourselves together through tough times and even have several of our own modding projects. One thing though, is that we always wanted the best for us all. Here it seems like you are all on edge with each other. Now granted I'm the plebe, here but I certainly think that a more positive outlook and general encouragement of the community would pay huge dividends. Now you can read what I say or just dismiss me as some new guy who knows nothing (which I'd certainly hope not....like I said I've been part of a close knit game community for almost 20 years now...and we haven't had a full real game released since 1999!), but I sincerely hope I, at the very least, create some issues to discuss.

I would love to see some of the great mods ported to WAR or TLD or COI (whichever works I guess for the mod) and I would play them all.

"To you, we are deeply grateful, and release what little hold we might, as Durandal, have had on your soul.
Go."
- Final Terminal Message, Marathon Infinity

CSO_Sbufkle

Rep: 32.2
votes: 1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:04 pm Post subject: Re: Players Debate - Modding Re-releases Reply with quote

Dundradal wrote (View Post):
I would love to see some of the great mods ported to WAR or TLD or COI (whichever works I guess for the mod) and I would play them all.

I only modded CC3 (Began to work on moads for CC2 and CC5.. but just got in over my head to do it alone!) and from what I remember when COI was released, it isnt too hard to covnert CC3 mods to COI. I just am not sure for other versions.

So from what I know for CC3 to COI, its just a matter of someone converting them, its probably just a supply and demand thing, if people dont want it that bad.. then they wotn get it any tiem soon, or one step further, wont reach out to do it themselves.

But really over the past 5-6 years, there hasnt been alot of people, doing things outside CC5. Not converting mods, making maps, guides for previous versions ect ect. Again, note I said ALOT of people, there has been some. And as you noticed, theres alot of bad blood that is IMHO past the point of return, and those at opposite sides of this little war are the ones who were doing these important things. The line is drawn between alot of modders (the more populated end of the debate) and the developpers. the universal feeling between both groups is that they feel the work that was put in and is being put in is not appreciated. (It boils down to 'was' and 'is.)

The end product is the community is a shell of what it used to be, and the call "Its an old game what do you expect?" doesnt hold ground with me, there are older games communities still around that are far far far more together that the fractured CC group.

As big as a knob Shreck is, hell have a better reply for whats invovled in conversion of older mods to the rereleases.  In fact I am sure hed welcome soemone to help. Provided of course you kiss his ass and never say anything bad about the rereleases, whcih are the greatest things ever made in gaming community.

schrecken

Rep: 195
votes: 15

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:56 pm Post subject: Re: Players Debate - Modding Re-releases Reply with quote

CoI MODS

http://closecombat.matrixgames.com/CoI/coimods.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Dundradal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:33 pm Post subject: Re: Players Debate - Modding Re-releases Reply with quote

CSO_Sbufkle wrote (View Post):
[

The end product is the community is a shell of what it used to be, and the call "Its an old game what do you expect?" doesnt hold ground with me, there are older games communities still around that are far far far more together that the fractured CC group.

As big as a knob Shreck is, hell have a better reply for whats invovled in conversion of older mods to the rereleases.  In fact I am sure hed welcome soemone to help. Provided of course you kiss his ass and never say anything bad about the rereleases, whcih are the greatest things ever made in gaming community.

I agree with your first statement...over in the WC community (wcnews.com) we've held ourselves together quite nicely and try to avoid stuff that will fracture us. It seems that here unfortunately things got too hot, which brings me to your second statement.

Why even say something like that? I'm a new member and that's what you state to me about the community? It's things like that that push people away and say "screw this!"

Shouldn't you all be working towards the common goal of new games with new features that expand the community? It seems odd that people are so willing to shoot themselves in the foot.

"To you, we are deeply grateful, and release what little hold we might, as Durandal, have had on your soul.
Go."

Dundradal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:34 pm Post subject: Re: Players Debate - Modding Re-releases Reply with quote

And I knew where the CoI mods were...but thanks for the link...I've been playing Der Ost Front on CoI on and off as well.

Go."

schrecken

Rep: 195
votes: 15

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:36 pm Post subject: Re: Players Debate - Modding Re-releases Reply with quote

Quote:
It seems odd that people are so willing to shoot themselves in the foot.

Unfortunately there is a small but vocal group that don';t play the game but hang out in the forums bad mouthing everything and everyone that comes along.

It started years ago with the lament that this game has never been updated... which was true as the developer, Atomic Games, just walked away leaving the last of the series (CC5) in quite a sorry state.

Fortunately a group of community members got together and have managed to breathe life into the game through the re-releases and updates.... this has been a great volunteer effort as all had real jobs and families to consider.

There is also a group who have played for free for years by downloading illegal copies of the game, this site even hosted illegal copies for a while... the new releases are not compatible with the these games so they feel ripped off... LOL.

The owner of this site has only recently returned to playing CC, due to the re-releases no doubt, after previously stating he doesn't play anymore.

So, although the "community" has it's problems things are looking up.

Visits to this site are at an all time high , I believe, as is the volume of downloaded mods etc. from this site, also the community H2H campaigns and community V AI campaigns looked to be quite successful... check the number of visits to those threads.

The "community" is strong, it is vibrant and it is full of characters... that's what makes a community.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Dundradal

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:06 am Post subject: Re: Players Debate - Modding Re-releases Reply with quote

schrecken wrote (View Post):

Unfortunately there is a small but vocal group that don';t play the game but hang out in the forums bad mouthing everything and everyone that comes along.

Then why aren't they simply banned if they continue to act stupid?

Quote:
It started years ago with the lament that this game has never been updated... which was true as the developer, Atomic Games, just walked away leaving the last of the series (CC5) in quite a sorry state.

In the Wing Commander community our developer continued to have projects cancelled after the last game release (Wing Commander Secret Ops in 1998...the first internet downloadable episodic game!) until Origin Systems was disbanded in 2004. Since then there has been several mods in development and one that has been fully completed...Wing Commander Standoff.

Quote:
Fortunately a group of community members got together and have managed to breathe life into the game through the re-releases and updates.... this has been a great volunteer effort as all had real jobs and families to consider.

There is also a group who have played for free for years by downloading illegal copies of the game, this site even hosted illegal copies for a while... the new releases are not compatible with the these games so they feel ripped off... LOL.

These things always seem to work that way when it comes to keeping the flame going...think of all the games that have NO community. Mods and H2H work well in CC's favor. For WC, it was story interwoven into space combat..video game space opera at its best.

WC games are fairly easy to find on ebay and other places for cheap money. Doing a search for CC yields quite a few inflated game prices (especially for CC5).

Quote:
The owner of this site has only recently returned to playing CC, due to the re-releases no doubt, after previously stating he doesn't play anymore.

After rediscovering my CC cds during a move I stumbled across this site. I was actually already familiar with Matrix Games as I'm a longtime player of Carriers at War. From here at CCS I discovered the rereleases...and purchased all 3. Granted I've been mostly playing CC5 mods lately...I have been playing a WAR GC with a new friend I met through Hamachi. I've also got a Der Ost Front GC going in CoI, games in WAR, TLD, etc, etc...it's been fun playing catch up....

Quote:
So, although the "community" has it's problems things are looking up.

Visits to this site are at an all time high , I believe, as is the volume of downloaded mods etc. from this site, also the community H2H campaigns and community V AI campaigns looked to be quite successful... check the number of visits to those threads.

The "community" is strong, it is vibrant and it is full of characters... that's what makes a community.

The fact you have commercial games coming out still is an excellent sign. The mods section here is impressive. I was taken aback when I first browsed it.

I'm glad I've discovered this place and hope to become a fairly regular part of the community.

Go."

Therion

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:16 pm Post subject: Re: Players Debate - Modding Re-releases Reply with quote

I used to mod CCMT a lot. I didn't make anything major because I don't have any computer graphics skills.
Sadly, I was forced out of the CC scene because Wine is unable to run CC series properly Sad .

Wonderland - my mod for Armored Brigade

Killing for peace is like fucking for orgasm.

mooxe

Rep: 221.7

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:44 pm Post subject: Re: Players Debate - Modding Re-releases Reply with quote

Now thats taken out of context. I probably said I dont play (using my illegal shared copies) much anymore, but I never stopped playing (my 100% pirated copies) completely.

There is also a group who have played for free for years by downloading illegal copies of the game, this site even hosted illegal copies for a while...

Are you sure that should be past tense?

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

platoon_michael

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:55 pm Post subject: Re: Players Debate - Modding Re-releases Reply with quote

In a nut shell as I see it............

1)The problem lies in the fact that those who do complain were here back in the Hey day of CC.
They want to see that Hey day again with lots of people playing online and great mods once again produced.

2) The Mods that were first released for CCIV(VetBoB,TrueGreen) and CCV (GJS) were considered MUST have Mods.
these were the mothers of all Mods because they were the first of their kind.

3)Since then many Mods have been release but none have seem to taken the roll of MUST HAVE Mods.

4)Online gameplay has died as has an appropriate ONE SITE for all to congregate.

5)We we cheated by Atomic with a shitty CCV and never got a proper patch for it,instead we were told BUY THIS NEW GAME

6)The re-releases despite having many UPGRADES over its previous version still has many bugs some of which has had to be forced down the throat of those who created it to be considered a bug and HAS NOT been able to duplicate the HEY DAY we all so much crave.

platoon_michael

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:59 pm Post subject: Re: Players Debate - Modding Re-releases Reply with quote

It doesn't matter if Southland creates many many Mods for CC or starts however many threads about his up-coming Mods,the fact remains that nothing was done to draw new attention to an OLD game.

Yes we love it with the TOP down VIEW,The Older graphics,the lack of OOoohhhh Aaaahhhhh graphics.
But those are the very same things that wont attract the HEY DAY those of us remember

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Jump to: