Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1213
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Author
Pete

Rep: 118.1
votes: 12

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:52 pm Post subject: Ortona '43 progress updates Reply with quote

This thread serves to keep you informed of our progress with the Ortona '43 mod.

This mod has been in a testing phase for several months now. So far I have not experienced any data crashes. Data are basically the same as the Scheldt mod data with some adjustments necessary for this specific battle.
Roofs and coding were incomplete when we took the helm and 99% are now done. 1 Map was missing and it has been drawn by Buck and works fine and looks just brilliant. Hard to tell the difference between his style and PT's. Another map will be drawn because one map is more or less a copy of another one.  
VL's were added , needs some refining.
Stratmap connections are done but stratmap layout might have to be altered.
Most graphics are finished; unit icons will be redone with as many new images as possible.
Forcepools need a lot of work, especially the Germans need work at this point. Not many sources are available.
Battle groups need some work.
All maps have been tested.
All battles, operations and GC have to be created. Need to reread Mark Zuehlke's book.
Test Op's and GC work fine so far.

Cheers,

Pete

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis
(War is delightful to those who have no experience of it.)
Our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/buckandpete/
Our website: https://themodsection.net/

squadleader_id

Rep: 53.2
votes: 7

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:10 am Post subject: Re: Ortona '43 progress updates Reply with quote

Thanks for the update, Pete!
I didn't know Ortona was already at an advanced stage of development when abandoned!  Great news!

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:46 am Post subject: Re: Ortona '43 progress updates Reply with quote

Wow, great progress you two are making!!!

Thank you for the update.

Buck_Compton

Rep: 64.6
votes: 9

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:31 pm Post subject: Re: Ortona '43 progress updates Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

Well about 42 maps where allready done before we took over you guys know this is the hardest part of mod making. It's just a matter of fine tuning and graphical work...

Cheers Buck

If you are short of everything but enemy, you are in the combat zone.

Buck_Compton

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 9:15 pm Post subject: Re: Ortona '43 progress updates Reply with quote

Ok as Pete told you I was working on the New San Nicola Map. I did the job in 2 evenings work. Took me 5-6 Hours coding included. The map is a combination of several terrain feature's we took from the battle discription in the Book Ortona. on the very right you can see the jump of point wich was a larger farm then a gully with a river and rolling terrain lots of fields with olive trees an wineyards. and then the actual village of San Nicola.

Currahee :P

Buck

29 San Nicola New.jpg
 Description:
San Nicola New
 Filesize:  739.4 KB
 Viewed:  21019 Time(s)

29 San Nicola New.jpg

Tejszd

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 9:55 pm Post subject: Re: Ortona '43 progress updates Reply with quote

Looks Great!!!

squadleader_id

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 12:12 am Post subject: Re: Ortona '43 progress updates Reply with quote

Nice looking map!  Great work, Buck!

pagskier

Rep: 25

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 2:27 pm Post subject: Re: Ortona '43 progress updates Reply with quote

looking good!!!

Buck_Compton

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:15 pm Post subject: Re: Ortona '43 progress updates Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

A short update on what whe have done so far. Pete has been working on the data the main concern was finding the right mixture of teams within the BG's. Pete is also busy with scanning the Strategic map. As it turned out at least 2 maps where double in the game. And has been checking if there were others with these kind of issues. He is also busy with the BTD's and checking out if all the connections match up with the real time area described in the Book: Ortona, which can be found on google earth.
I've been busy redoing those maps and some graphics like the comsideselect and the battlestatus screen. If Pete is finished checking I will start to evaluate and update the stratmap for the mod. Also i'm busy play testing some op's

Cheers Buck

Status Screen.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  128.9 KB
 Viewed:  20913 Time(s)

Status Screen.jpg

Fallschirmjager-13.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  32.81 KB

Fallschirmjager-13.jpg

COMSIDEPIC_000 copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  33.55 KB

COMSIDEPIC_000 copy.jpg

MF_Church

Rep: 26

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:03 am Post subject: Re: Ortona '43 progress updates Reply with quote

Well Done !

Buck you can make something sound simple and yet at the same time convey great weight and work  put in.

Thanks for the great update and work involved! from you Both!  :D

p.s.  That map is one of the best i've seen! to Fight on!!!   Smile

Pete

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:29 pm Post subject: Re: Ortona '43 progress updates Reply with quote

My main concern is that in my opinion there are too many maps to represent this small area. The maps are very good representations of the actual country but some do not represent completely actual battlefields (meaning they are too small), which might not be a concern for most players but personally I would like to see maps drawn with consideration for geographical features that influenced the actual battles. I am considering cancelling a few maps and reshuffling the stratmap a bit. However, I will not change too much out of respect for PT's original plans.
Fighting on these small maps is good though. What helps is that I am assigning only a small number of vl's per map.

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis

Tejszd

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:24 pm Post subject: Re: Ortona '43 progress updates Reply with quote

Thanks for the update Buck/Pete!!!

pagskier

Rep: 25

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:07 am Post subject: Re: Ortona '43 progress updates Reply with quote

Sounds great!
thanks for the infos

Buck_Compton

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:08 pm Post subject: Re: Ortona '43 progress updates Reply with quote

Hey guys,

A short update of the progress in the mod.

Pete has been busy checking out all the maps made by PT weather or not they are on the right location on the stratmap and if the connections are correct. He also checked the relevance of the maps within the mod. He came to the conclusion that certain maps where on the wrong location or that there wasn't much of fighting on that actual location. I can't specifically tell you what he has found out but it led him to conclude that there was need of a new Vino ridge.
I have been busy over the last few days making that actual map and for the first time in my life I used a 3d program (3ds Max) for rendering the height map. I'm quite satisfied with the actuall result.

Other than that there isn't much progress. As soon as pete returns from his holidays we will start to update the stratmap.

CHeers Buck

Vino Ridge New.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  774.63 KB
 Viewed:  20765 Time(s)

Vino Ridge New.jpg

Last edited by Buck_Compton on Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

QM

Rep: 49.4

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:00 am Post subject: Re: Ortona '43 progress updates Reply with quote

Great stuff guys, thanks!

squadleader_id

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:57 am Post subject: Re: Ortona '43 progress updates Reply with quote

Very nice looking map, Buck! Well done!

Ivan_Zaitzev

Rep: 56.1
votes: 3

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:14 am Post subject: Re: Ortona '43 progress updates Reply with quote

Im looking forward to this mod.
Ortona is a really interesting battle and its not much known.
This last map looks a little dark, it might just be me dough.

The real Close Combat starts when you are out of ammo.
Have you hugged your AT Gun today?
My Youtube Channel
http://closecombat2.blogspot.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Pete

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:36 pm Post subject: Re: Ortona '43 progress updates Reply with quote

Well, the new stratmap has received its final shape. Buck has put a lot of work in it and created a new stratmap in one weekend. It's me who is slowing down the progress of this mod Wink . There will be 40 maps on the stratmap. 3 Maps are new and created by Buck. We deleted 4 maps on the bottom half of PT's original stratmap because I felt it was historically unbalanced in the sense that the Allies would be able to win the GC without capturing the major target of the mainroad Orsogna-Ortona. Now it's about 50/50 and I will make sure when assigning VL's that capturing the road Orsogna-Ortona will tip the balance.

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis

CSO_Talorgan

Rep: 72.5
votes: 1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:53 pm Post subject: Re: Ortona '43 progress updates Reply with quote

Buck_Compton wrote (View Post):
for the first time in my life I used a 3d program (3ds Max) for rendering the height map.

First time I've heard of this being done by anyone.

Buck_Compton

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:41 pm Post subject: Re: Ortona '43 progress updates Reply with quote

CSO_Talorgan wrote (View Post):
Buck_Compton wrote (View Post):
for the first time in my life I used a 3d program (3ds Max) for rendering the height map.

First time I've heard of this being done by anyone.

Hey Talorgan,

A first time for everything I'd Guess Wink But you won't be able to see very much of it. But it woudn't suprise me if others allready used this or these kind of techniques. Especially because the bright side of hills is quite dificult to make. The 3d renderd layer has made the map about 10% darker than others...

Cheers Buck

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Mods by Buck and Pete -> CC5 Ortona 1943
Goto page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Jump to: