Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1219
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Author
squadleader_id

Rep: 53.2
votes: 7

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:24 am Post subject: Re: Operation Market Garden Mod for tLD Reply with quote

Hoogley wrote (View Post):
Question - Has anybody ever tried giving a squad more than one crewed weapon?  What happened?  Did the engine deal with it, or will it freak out?

The reason for asking is that I have at least one squad type that has a Bren and 2x PIATs, so I'm wondering if there's a way to allow all three weapons to be picked up by another team member if the carrier goes down.

AFAIK the engine will handle them fine.
Squads with multiple crewed weapons are commonly used in VetMods.

Hoogley

Rep: 15.7
votes: 4

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:05 am Post subject: Re: Operation Market Garden Mod for tLD Reply with quote

Quick example of a road.  The camber lighting and edge shading is all layer effects.  

Still not 100%, but just getting this far was bloody painful.

country_road_sample.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  384.12 KB
 Viewed:  16499 Time(s)

country_road_sample.jpg

"I have come here to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all out of bubblegum." - They Live

7A_Woulf

Rep: 22.1
votes: 2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:19 am Post subject: Re: Operation Market Garden Mod for tLD Reply with quote

Well if a x-wife and two teenage daughters didn't give me enough grey hairs, this will help them on the way...  Wink  (But it's fun as hell anyway!)

But your road...  Rolling Eyes Don't want to nag, but it kind of looks like a stream with slopes.  Confused Is it possible to create some effects to 'raise' the embankment? -Just my reflection.

"When the tough gets going, I run to live to run another day..."

"Is this trip really necessary?"

VonBirkby

Rep: 1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:06 pm Post subject: Re: Operation Market Garden Mod for tLD Reply with quote

http://www.bayonetstrength.150m.com/German/german_army.htm for full strength Battlion organistaion and equipment tables and http://www.history.army.mil/books/wwii/Siegfried/Siegfried%20Line/siegfried-ch06.htm for some strenght for German units in Holland

Pete

Rep: 118.1
votes: 12

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:22 pm Post subject: Re: Operation Market Garden Mod for tLD Reply with quote

@ Woulf : If you don't know these sources you have not tried hard enough : http://www.pegasusarchive.org/arnhem/frames.htm   Wink   . You'll find orders of battle for the Germans too.
German Kriegstagebuch LXXXVIII corps : http://maddog.gionpeters.com/welcome.html . Many useful downloads of microfilmed war diaries. I used some of these for my unit research for Battle of the Scheldt but these files I think are particularly useful for researching Market Garden. It's going to take you a lot of time to read all these files!
Sturmpanzer.com: http://www.sturmpanzer.com/Default.aspx?tabindex=0&tabid=1 . Click "Document Section" for many of the same files as the aforementioned website but it has also other information to offer.
Don't buy too much literature before going through this first hand information first.

Happy researching !

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis
(War is delightful to those who have no experience of it.)
Our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/buckandpete/
Our website: https://themodsection.net/

Pete

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:48 pm Post subject: Re: Operation Market Garden Mod for tLD Reply with quote

@ Hoogley: perhaps useful for rooftextures, roads, general stuff: check this website with 1940's colour photos: http://hustinx.x-cago.com/hustinx/index.do  . It has galleries of colour photos shot during the 1930's and '40's by Alphons Hustinx who was an adventurous photographer and cinematographer and an early adaptor of colour film. The site is entirely in Dutch but for pics of The Netherlands click 'Nederland' and select the province of choice . "Gelderland" is where Nijmegen and Arnhem are situated. I own a book with his photos and might be tempted to scan one or two if you are looking for something specific.

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis

DarkScipio

Rep: 6.4

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:04 pm Post subject: Re: Operation Market Garden Mod for tLD Reply with quote

Thanks so much for your work an patience.

It looks very very good.

http://www.therainforestsite.com
Click to help the rainforest. Only one second per Day.
http://www.dieregenwaldseite.de

southern_land

Rep: 155.2
votes: 14

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:15 am Post subject: Re: Operation Market Garden Mod for tLD Reply with quote

squadleader_id wrote (View Post):
Question - Has anybody ever tried giving a squad more than one crewed weapon?  What happened?  Did the engine deal with it, or will it freak out?

The reason for asking is that I have at least one squad type that has a Bren and 2x PIATs, so I'm wondering if there's a way to allow all three weapons to be picked up by another team member if the carrier goes down.

AFAIK the engine will handle them fine.
Squads with multiple crewed weapons are commonly used in VetMods.

yeah pretty sure the Englander!!! mod for Cc3 had two MGs and even a Pak and an MG in the single squad

Hoogley

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:27 am Post subject: Re: Operation Market Garden Mod for tLD Reply with quote

Pete - Finding out the upper tier formations is not the issue.  It's actually finding the tables of organisation and equipment that's the problem.  I.e., all of the data you need to work out what squad level units and armaments to use.  The Third Reich army made more TOEs than possibly any other army in existence; they changed unit makeups like people change underwear.  That makes for a very fluid military organisation, but hard for people trying to work it all out retrospectively.  Plus there's the problem that the Germans during OMG were using whatever units they could muster, split up into irregular formations and swapped around between different KGs/Divs, and they were seriously undermanned and/or equipped.

For example, from what I've gleaned, The 9th SS Panzer Divison only appear to have had around 120 men or so in the Panzer Regiment, and as far as I can find, only 3 PzKw V and 2 Flak PzKw IV tanks.  Also, the 19th SS Panzergrenadier Regiment appears to only have one operational battalion; Battalion I (Armoured) with 300 men.  So, the 9th are given a Werkstatt unit of about 100 men, and a Shiffsturm unit of about 100 men, I assume to make up for this lack of man and tank power.  Then, the 9th Division send their recon battalion off to defent Nijmegen bridge (effectively loosing them and creating a new KG in the process), so the 10th SS Div give the 9th SS Div their armoured recon battalion to make up for the loss, probably because the 9th were so comparably low in armoured vehicles.  Then, the 9th SS Recon Battalion try to hook back up with the 9th Div, only to get pummeled on the bridge, so I gather the 10th never got their recon battalion back.  And that's just one division out of about twenty involved.

It's painful.  Shocked

VonBirkby - Now, that is really weird.  I went back to bayonettestrength last week after a five year hiatus to find that I couldn't find the armoured formations information... and yet, here it's all back again... I think I must have been rendered temporarily stupid for a spell there.  Embarassed   I also agree that this is a very awesome source of TOE and OOB information.

7A_Woulf - Hey, man, don't be knocking my road!  It's not that ba... well... um... oh... yeah, you're right.  The road thing is working out harder than I would have thought.  The problem is that using an aerial photo of a road as an object just has too many limitations.  So, I thought that if I could work out how to make asphalt/bitumen a texture layer, then it would work out better.  But, the problem is that as soon as you start getting into layer effects, you've got to be very careful otherwise it's easy for everything to end up looking naff.

I'll keep at it.

"I have come here to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all out of bubblegum." - They Live

Last edited by Hoogley on Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

7A_Woulf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:43 am Post subject: Re: Operation Market Garden Mod for tLD Reply with quote

@ Pete and Hoogly

Kershaws book is good, I can find most info down to battalion level in it and for the more researched areas (as Arnhem) the number of men in each unit, so sometime today I'll have the BGs and general disposition of the done for the first day of gaming. The general problem are the KstN (TOE) and OOB of the beaten Germans in the area and the strength of some less famous units. (Two examples: Son bridge was defended by a “an experienced kampfgruppe from Hermann Goering training and replacement Div.” and a number Flak 88. There were two march-battalions sent against the 101st from a FJ training deposit at s'Hertogenboch (possibly the 'HG' again) during the first day, but I haven't any info on their strength or what happened to them later in the battle... Rolling Eyes )

But thanks for the links anyway guys, some were new, some were old favourites. And even if they maybe don't help me now (don't know that yet) it's always fun to have access to that kind of info.  Cool

Last edited by 7A_Woulf on Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hoogley

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:11 am Post subject: Re: Operation Market Garden Mod for tLD Reply with quote

Ok, how about this one?  Again, the raised edging effect is all layer effects, so nobody needs to have art skills other than how to paint a line.

Better?

I hope so, 'cause this wasn't easy to get.   Rolling Eyes

road_example.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  395.38 KB
 Viewed:  16542 Time(s)

road_example.jpg

Priapus

Rep: 18.6
votes: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:41 pm Post subject: Re: Operation Market Garden Mod for tLD Reply with quote

Looking good hoogley

southern_land

Rep: 155.2
votes: 14

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:17 am Post subject: Re: Operation Market Garden Mod for tLD Reply with quote

Ok, how about this one?  Again, the raised edging effect is all layer effects, so nobody needs to have art skills other than how to paint a line.

Better?

I hope so, 'cause this wasn't easy to get.   Rolling Eyes

try layer style    inner glow  10-15px size  black normal blend and hit it with some noise then fiddle with the opacity.  helps give the surfaced roads a sense of wear

7A_Woulf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:28 am Post subject: Re: Operation Market Garden Mod for tLD Reply with quote

Thanks for the links Pete, really interesting!

As you said a lot to read, and I haven't been speaking or reading German the last 18 years...  Rolling Eyes

Pete

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:41 pm Post subject: Re: Operation Market Garden Mod for tLD Reply with quote

You're welcome.
You might already know this site with German symbols explained: http://niehorster.orbat.com/011_germany/symbols/_symbols_43.html .
And don't forget to download the tables of organization from Sturmpanzer (German K.St.N.)  Wink

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis

Hoogley

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:14 pm Post subject: Re: Operation Market Garden Mod for tLD Reply with quote

Ok, question for those with knowledge:

Does anybody know if the M1919A6 replaced the M1919A4s or the BARs in the US para's organisational and equipment tables?

Cheers.

7A_Woulf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:55 pm Post subject: Re: Operation Market Garden Mod for tLD Reply with quote

The M1919A6 was supposed to replace the A4, but the most gunners didn't like it and rebuilt their A6's to become like their old A4, here's a short link:

http://www.101airborneww2.com/equipment.html

During Normandy most AB squads (not glider) had MG's as squad weapon, but during OMG they had figured out a system to jump with the BAR, so they used it as squad-weapon to some level. Don't have any exact numbers of the TO&E though, just know the general discussion since I looked into Normandy.

Cheers

Hoogley

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:59 pm Post subject: Re: Operation Market Garden Mod for tLD Reply with quote

7A_Woulf wrote (View Post):
The M1919A6 was supposed to replace the A4, but the most gunners didn't like it and rebuilt their A6's to become like their old A4, here's a short link:

http://www.101airborneww2.com/equipment.html

During Normandy most AB squads (not glider) had MG's as squad weapon, but during OMG they had figured out a system to jump with the BAR, so they used it as squad-weapon to some level. Don't have any exact numbers of the TO&E though, just know the general discussion since I looked into Normandy.

Cheers

Hey, 7A.  I managed to find a reference to BARs on that website, but he says they didn't figure out how to jump with them until after the war.  Is there a contradicting comment somewhere else on his site?   Also, I noticed he seems a little sensitive on the topic of BARs:

"note: The Browning Automatic Rifle (B.A.R.) was not issued to WW2 paratroopers because it was considered too awkward to jump with. It was not listed on the TO&E for Parachute Infantry rifle companies. The weapon weighs about 20 lb and is four feet long and cannot be broken down for jumping purposes. This is why squad tactics centered around the LMG (dropped in bundles) instead. The B.A.R. was an effective and devastating weapon and immediately after WW2, the 82nd and 11th Airborne Divisions incorporated them into their TO&Es and devised a method of jumping with them fully-assembled, and strapped alongside the parachutist's leg, muzzle down.

PLEASE STOP ASKING ABOUT B.A.R.s ON THE FORUM".  

:lol:

Hoogs.

7A_Woulf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:13 pm Post subject: Re: Operation Market Garden Mod for tLD Reply with quote

Sorry mate, was looking into Normandy, so I made the usual mistake and didn't bookmark the site about BAR's during OMG.  Mad

But start your search from here:

http://triggertimeforum.yuku.com/reply/23051/t/327th-photos-showing-B-A-R.html#reply-23051

Guess you can find the answer there (somewhere...)  Rolling Eyes

Hoogley

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:56 pm Post subject: Re: Operation Market Garden Mod for tLD Reply with quote

"In Market Garden and at Bastogne, more and more BARs appeared in the PIR companies, but not in a
organized TO&E standard method of issue. They were mostly swiped, salvaged or traded from other units.
Nor was a safe method developed by the time of the 101st's last WW2 combat jump in Market-Garden, for
jumping with a BAR-you can bet most if not all of them came-in via equipment bundles or in gliders.
I DO have photos of 11th ABD troopers jumping practice jumps with BARs after WW2 ended but that was
a technique developed later.
"  - Again, mostly concurs with the previous comment.

"Lt. Elmer Brandenberger( B/502), in a letter from 1962 describes in his post jump experience . In it he talks about come a cross one of his bundles and arming himself with a B.A.R. I am not sure why a PIR would have had the B.A.R. but one of the company missions was to secure DZ -A. I speculate that the BAR's were additional firepower in that job hence why it was in a drop bundle. So there is evidence that some of the PIR's did have BAR's but did not jump them on their person... Paul" - Contradiction.

I don't know.  I gather the hot contention is that all official sources state that paratroopers didn't use BARs, but a lot of personal accounts and such suggest they did.  This looks from the surface like one of those "Apple vs Microsoft" debates: destined for eternal argument.  My personal take is this: it seems clear they didn't officially get equipped with BARs, but probably a number of guys/units either got their hands on them and had them dropped in equipment drops, had modified BARs they carried on person, or picked them up after dropping (maybe from the Glider Regiment guys?).

So, to work this out in game terms, you could do one of two things: forget about it and stick to official TOE reports, or mix them up so most gun teams have A4s and some have BARs.  The second resolution means having to create an extra unit, though.

What do you guys think?

P.S.  I'm on holidays down to Melbourne for a week with the family, so I probably won't get much time online.  Back late on the 3rd of July (EST +10).

Update on Progress: 7A_Woulf is doing an amazing job unravelling the German unit movements for the campaign - and consuming a lot of personal time in the process - and ronson is currently compiling an allied units/soldiers list to compare against my original compositions.  So, from a data front, we are moving towards a final composition of CC data files.

I am still working on the map creator, but I'll obviously have to pause for a week.

Talk later.  Got to go.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat The Longest Day
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Jump to: