Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1220
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Author
davidssfx

Rep: 16.8
votes: 8

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:12 pm Post subject: TLD abandoned vehicle crews can't take orders ... why? Reply with quote

What is the reason for this ... I know you could order crews that left their destroyed tanks in CC3?

Pzt_Kanov

Rep: 14.2
votes: 9

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:25 pm Post subject: Re: TLD abandoned vehicle crews can't take orders ... why? Reply with quote

I think it was to stop them being used as infantry and grab Victory Locations as it wasn't realistic. Leaving them some meters where the wreck is burning is realistic though, according to developers.

Strange that in CC2 the gun and tank crews couldn't receive orders but left the battlefield in an orderly fashion, sometimes they could fight in next battles.

davidssfx

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:49 pm Post subject: Re: TLD abandoned vehicle crews can't take orders ... why? Reply with quote

Is it true that if a tank crew abandons, and is kept alive ... they will get a new ride (tank) in upcoming battles?
And if so, then it would be better to be able to order them to find cover (and/or protection with friendly units) ... so as not to be killed.
It seems some veteran CC players exploit this, and target these stationary crews (that abandoned their vehicle).
(ie: mooxe)  :)

If they were able to capture a VL for some reason ... I don't see a problem with that. It's not like they would be able to defend it very well against a rifle, mg, team anyway.

Last edited by davidssfx on Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:05 pm; edited 3 times in total

davidssfx

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:57 pm Post subject: Re: TLD abandoned vehicle crews can't take orders ... why? Reply with quote

Pzt_Kanov wrote (View Post):
I think it was to stop them being used as infantry and grab Victory Locations as it wasn't realistic. Leaving them some meters where the wreck is burning is realistic though, according to developers.

Strange that in CC2 the gun and tank crews couldn't receive orders but left the battlefield in an orderly fashion, sometimes they could fight in next battles.

thanks for the reply ... I would prefer them to be able to be ordered, and not worry about the VL issue.

mooxe

Rep: 221.7
votes: 25

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:40 pm Post subject: Re: TLD abandoned vehicle crews can't take orders ... why? Reply with quote

Well you target those dismounted crews because it further reduces morale, they are like little freebies. Sometimes they take potshots and your guys running by as well.

I can only think of one incident over the years where someone recognized a name of a crewmen who came back later in another tank. Can't remember complete details though so I wont confirm this ever happened. I think the posts are in this forum by a PZT guy. I wish someone could absolutely prove the crewmen do come back. It seems like its just theory.

About realism. Who says its not realism? An Airborne ATG crew is (going to assume here!) trained as infantry 1st, secondary duty manning at 17pdr gun. Now if the gun is destroyed, shouldnt they fight as infantry?  Its about fun really. If my tank crews leave the map, I am not sitting here thinking, "Wow just like WW2!" The line between realism and fun is constantly shifted in this game and is always based on a few opinions.

Theres pros and con to dismounted crews being stationary, fleeing or being commandable troops.

Combine this debate with what teams are allowed to grab VLs. Really everyone should weigh in on whats best.

My vote goes to all crews being commandable. I will settle for all primary infantrymen that man guns as a secondary duty being commandable, while all tanks crews become stationary and not flee & armoured command teams should be commandable.

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

schrecken

Rep: 195
votes: 15

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:45 pm Post subject: Re: TLD abandoned vehicle crews can't take orders ... why? Reply with quote

CC3 the crews could be used as death squads...

CC5 they abandoned vehicle and lay on the ground to be killed.

As it drove me insane that my precious crews just lay down to die I suggested this be changed for LSA.

In LSA crews exit the map by the best means they can find and live to fight another day.

Last edited by schrecken on Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

mooxe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:44 pm Post subject: Re: TLD abandoned vehicle crews can't take orders ... why? Reply with quote

Besides one rule for all. There is a better way to do this. Suggestions?

schrecken

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:48 pm Post subject: Re: TLD abandoned vehicle crews can't take orders ... why? Reply with quote

You have to have the same rule for all  Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

davidssfx

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:51 pm Post subject: Re: TLD abandoned vehicle crews can't take orders ... why? Reply with quote

schrecken wrote (View Post):

In LSA crews exit the map by the best means they can find and live to fight another day.

Is this possible in TLD? ... if so how?

Thanks
David

schrecken

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:53 pm Post subject: Re: TLD abandoned vehicle crews can't take orders ... why? Reply with quote

It's in the exe, so not unless it's included in a patch.

Dima

Rep: 87.3
votes: 16

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:04 pm Post subject: Re: TLD abandoned vehicle crews can't take orders ... why? Reply with quote

Quote:
I can only think of one incident over the years where someone recognized a name of a crewmen who came back later in another tank. Can't remember complete details though so I wont confirm this ever happened. I think the posts are in this forum by a PZT guy. I wish someone could absolutely prove the crewmen do come back. It seems like its just theory.

the most famous is Wittmann, who bailed out at V-B, came again and bailed out second time Smile.

Quote:

very good IMO, although with possibility to takean enemy VL, disclosure an enemy unit Smile

davidssfx

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:18 pm Post subject: Re: TLD abandoned vehicle crews can't take orders ... why? Reply with quote

It's in the exe, so not unless it's included in a patch.

ok ... thanks

davidssfx

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:27 pm Post subject: Re: TLD abandoned vehicle crews can't take orders ... why? Reply with quote

CC3 the crews could be used as death squads ...

what do you mean by this ... were they better protected by their coding, or some other reason?

schrecken

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:31 pm Post subject: Re: TLD abandoned vehicle crews can't take orders ... why? Reply with quote

No

If they abandoned their vehicle you could order them about the map, taking VL's etc. (in cc3 and CoI)

Unrealistic as trained crews in general ran to safety and to later man another vehicle.

mooxe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:11 pm Post subject: Re: TLD abandoned vehicle crews can't take orders ... why? Reply with quote

One rule is what makes it unrealistic. What about Airborne infantry who manned ATGs? Theres many what ifs and maybes that make one rule unsatisfying. This may be a good option to take out of an exe file.

Pzt_Kanov

Rep: 14.2
votes: 9

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:14 pm Post subject: Re: TLD abandoned vehicle crews can't take orders ... why? Reply with quote

There's a post here somewhere were someone managed to make the gun crews take orders by changing their SAI from 'Gun' to 'AT Team', I have tested it and it works.

Will they be moving around the battlefield hunting tanks and giving away their positions even more easily? will the bigger guns be able to be put inside small buildings now that they behave as an infantry unit? I haven't tested it thoroughly to be honest.

As for the tanks, making them Command Vehicles can make them take orders. I don't remember if it was in the SAI or the Type column though and what side effects it had. I know that if the Type column is changed it messes up with the composition of the BG, the SAI can make units behavior and attributes change, like infantry coded as trucks makes them run for VL's but leaves them unable to enter buildings.

davidssfx

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:25 pm Post subject: Re: TLD abandoned vehicle crews can't take orders ... why? Reply with quote

No

If they abandoned their vehicle you could order them about the map, taking VL's etc. (in cc3 and CoI)

Unrealistic as trained crews in general ran to safety and to later man another vehicle.

ok ... thanks for explaining. Knowing that they are just normal (under equipped infantry) helps to decide what is best.

I think it's best to let the decision of what they do, be left to the human commander ... for all guns, and vehicles.
A smart human commander will move them back to safety (to fight another day), a careless commander may waste them ... and in a desperate situation they could be used to hold a map, or whatever. Nevertheless it's something else the human commander must manage, bringing more interest to the battle.
We're going to implement this in the next Ground Tactics mod update

schrecken

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:31 pm Post subject: Re: TLD abandoned vehicle crews can't take orders ... why? Reply with quote

Airbourne ATG crews spent all their time hiding in holes.

schrecken

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:33 pm Post subject: Re: TLD abandoned vehicle crews can't take orders ... why? Reply with quote

David, good points

davidssfx

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:40 pm Post subject: Re: TLD abandoned vehicle crews can't take orders ... why? Reply with quote

Pzt_Kanov wrote (View Post):
There's a post here somewhere were someone managed to make the gun crews take orders by changing their SAI from 'Gun' to 'AT Team', I have tested it and it works.

Will they be moving around the battlefield hunting tanks and giving away their positions even more easily? will the bigger guns be able to be put inside small buildings now that they behave as an infantry unit? I haven't tested it thoroughly to be honest.

As for the tanks, making them Command Vehicles can make them take orders. I don't remember if it was in the SAI or the Type column though and what side effects it had. I know that if the Type column is changed it messes up with the composition of the BG, the SAI can make units behavior and attributes change, like infantry coded as trucks makes them run for VL's but leaves them unable to enter buildings.

I guess we'll have to figure out how they did it in CC3 ... and see if it has any unwanted effects with BG's, etc. Anyone have any ideas?

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Modding Workshop
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Jump to: