Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1215
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
ANZAC_Tack

Rep: 22.3
votes: 1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:59 am Post subject: LET ME KNOW WHEN PATCH COMES OUT! ARGGG my rant wish list Reply with quote

my list of grievences:

morters not accurate enough, spead pattern worst i seen in CC ever in 11 years, a 60mm with direct line of sight at 100 meters cant get a pattern within 30 meters...and its also overpowered and kills some 10 meters in some cases, i seen a flax88 taken out when a 60mm landed some 15 meters to its front! does the 2"morter actually kill anybody?

hand grenades are far to weak, gammon bombs are grenade strength should be, increase them also please to explosive setting? close combat stuff is like watching girls fight, nade, stab, i have had 3 instances of enemy standing 1 meter apart doing nothing...out of knife range, but having a cup of joe together...

sdkf indestructable, already going to be patched i hear.

i have turned on obay orders, i cannot play this game, or TLD without it without rage quitting at girly man syndrome!

tank and soldier pathing on roads and bridges quite impossiable...i dare anybody to get a vehicle from one end of arnem rail bridge to the other in 1 command, or a soldier, anything!...ill pay, or give you the key to TLD lol...*no way points included.

when going under bridges, men dissaper, reappear instantly the other side, magic!

men constantly get stuck on bridge piers at start, i have to make men stand in middle not to get lost, there so stopid, if i order then to get on a bridge and cross, i expect it, not half to left side, half over middle!

browning mmg is underpowered.

i want us infantry without BAR, or make the bar lighter, i estimate the bar is set as same weight at browning mmg/vickers, i always get bar gunner lagging behind by 30%, about 100 meters in 300 m sprint.

i want more scouts! every para group should have 3/5 scounts, and same again or more 1/2 or 1/3rd rifle teams, to create the effect of a para drop, and men being dissorganised, lost, killed etc....ditto command teams, small and cheap!

bazooka teams rifles, fire 4 rounds and stop, they do this  with all scavenged weapons also, like the sherman flamethrower in GJS, it just stops, breaks my orders and has a cup of joe, sits back and gets shot. also the alloted ammo, the bazooka fires 1 round and saves ammo!(indirect area fire, if at all) please issue piats/bazookas with 10 rounds like them olden days of CC...1 rounds in arnem at low ammo aint fun stopping king tigers
and by the by, i killed 3 king tigers with piats front on at 50 meters!
a) how?
b)is the king tiger a painted over mk4(a) in this game? to small, to weak...

men taking cover:

crewed weapons like morters, the men seem constantly restless, i estimate morter crews take 5 to 10 times longer to fire then any other CC before, i have seen a crew take 10 minutes to fire 30 rounds, usually start, fire 1/5, move his ass left 1 foot, set up, aim, have a smoke, fire a few then move his ass again, i hade a 57mm do it today, fired 1 round, then just sat there loading...all having a cup of joe!, why do the men seek cover so often, always moving?

snipers are seen far to easily, i place them 200 meters away in grass, game starts, bang,  dead...
and can i have the US sniper issued with 250 rounds or a springfield again, as ammo is gone in about 2 minutes...with full supply, who thought of this?
why has the m1 grand c been introduced to sniping in CC after 12 years?
why cant they shoot straight, aim, breath, squeeze trigger, fire...these idots, aim, pull pull pull pull
pull pull pull pull, reload, maybe aim again...u get the picture...

massively overpowered 6lb/57mm and 17lb!!!!(not tried 3"gun yet against tanks) i had a 17lb, at 100 meters(2 frontal), take out 3 king tigers! and its armour penetration rate is like that of a kig tigers, all massive green lines, and a firefly same gun....well...not quite as good, tweak please down 20% it is more effective then 90mm in GJS...

tanks get tracked way to easily, i fear every little brick wall, every marsh, every fence...it is a tank right? let em be tanks, they are supposed to go over a 500mm stone wall without tracking 90% of the time!...reduce by 30% please...

crew of tanks/guns, i want them to bloody wall stay and fight, not run off the map like babies, u got a smg/rifle and pistols, grenades, so bloody well stay and fight! if not stay in the bloody tank like men and burn! cowards!

why cant i shoot prisoners? and traitors who surrender? i always shoot em down...bring back field court marshalling NOW!

now, please somebody post this at Matrix, as i cannot log in!!!!!!!!!

espree de corp

Raptor341

Rep: 4.4

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:17 am Post subject: Re: LET ME KNOW WHEN PATCH COMES OUT! ARGGG my rant wish lis Reply with quote

wow, thats quite the rant.  However, 17 pounder.. is death to all armour, one of the best guns of the war.  No problem taking out any german armour at even 1000m front.

Spinlock

Rep: 14.8
votes: 2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:11 am Post subject: Re: LET ME KNOW WHEN PATCH COMES OUT! ARGGG my rant wish lis Reply with quote

I agree with 90% of what you said. I don't have LSA, but I have the others and its the same.
Some of that rant can be corrected with the data files but there really is no excuse for not addressing the others. If not fixing them at least giving an overview/Comment of why it can't be corrected with the old game engine.  
There are 2 other things I would point out..
1) They psych model is one of the bullet point features of close combat. If everything is fair 'n square then for all the times that you rejoice In breaking the enemies moral then  there are times it's gonna happen to you too. Part of the game is that you never have 100% control over your teams..

2) There has been a huge rant lately over at the Matrix forums about how the AI wont attack or generally behave properly.  IMO it basically boils down to the fact that the maps are too big and the number of teams are too small. You cannot properly attack with 10 to 15 half-teams and you cant properly defend either. For example, if the AI is set to attack you, They have to put enough teams into the fight to make dent in your line, at the same time, keep some in reserve so that your counter attack isn't a cake walk. Its just not possible, and atrocious AI performance is the result of trying to balance it (among other things).

ANZAC_Tack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:41 am Post subject: Re: LET ME KNOW WHEN PATCH COMES OUT! ARGGG my rant wish lis Reply with quote

ok if the 17lb was so good, then why in games like ccv is the 17lb firefly a resonable gun, very effective against mkIV's(won most time) and moderate against panthers(usually loose) and tiger 1(i found it 50 50) and tigerII it would loose unless lucky, flanking, surprise attack....but in LSA.....its all different, allied armour had like panther/king tiger AT ability, WTF!

its like, oh lets make up some data, and forget the last 12 years of closecombat...lets try something new, heavily favouring allied armour...yeah that will please people H2H online...make the sherman take out tiger tanks, woo hoo....

god help the germans if a persing 90mm was in, give me 3 of them(one to get tracked on a pile of rocks, the other to spin aimlessly on bridges getting stuck every fuggin 15 meters) and i'd have all the bridges in 6 days!

AI dosent bother me, its dumb and i get it, i like where most AA and guns are placed, mg's surprise me all the time(german ai is half decent, like playing some noob like brake), i never will play as germans, its like watching paint dry, played 2 games and rage quit!

espree de corp

vonB

Rep: 32.6
votes: 5

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:45 am Post subject: Re: LET ME KNOW WHEN PATCH COMES OUT! ARGGG my rant wish lis Reply with quote

Quote:
1) They psych model is one of the bullet point features of close combat. If everything is fair 'n square then for all the times that you rejoice In breaking the enemies moral then  there are times it's gonna happen to you too. Part of the game is that you never have 100% control over your teams..

Spot on.  We might go further and say that this is what makes CC.  You do not have 100% control over your BG (on reality setting), any more than a real life Officer has complete control over his men.  When the shit starts flying, each soldier will be dealing with their own very personal situation, and just because you decide to put him in harms's way does not mean that he will either follow through, or do it in the way you might want to.

Even though vehicle pathing can be horrendous at times, I can accomodate it accordingly.  Usually put it down to the driver having had too much Schnapps the night before!  Oh, alright, ALL the drivers!

There is much I know about CC and much I do not.  I suspect that the engine has been developed 'around' the psych AI rather than the Tactical AI, which contributes to the difficulty of modifying the Logic when changing Tactical AI.  Not being a seperate or independant process, one thing leads to another with sometimes very undesirable consequences.  The solution?  Dis-assemble (not in the compiled sense) all the logic, re-work the processing, and re-build.  It's not rocket science, but it would be a very big effort.

[quote]ok if the 17lb was so good, then why in games like ccv is the 17lb firefly a resonable gun, very effective against mkIV's(won most time) and moderate against panthers(usually loose) and tiger 1(i found it 50 50)[quote]

These statistics could be a measure of how vulnerable the Sherman was to these tanks?  A PzKw IV against a Sherman Firefly, I would guess you have a reasonable match, though the front armour of the Sherman will be superior, but the 17pdr much more powerful, so in a straight one on one, I  would put the odds on the Firefly.

Against a Panther, the Sherman is very vulnerable, but so is the Panther.  AT close ranges, I would think that there is nothing in it.  They can both destroy each other as easily.  At longer ranges, the advantage maybe towards the Panther if from the front, otherwise, the Panther is still very vulnerable.

Similarly for the Tiger, but with better armour, I would think the advantage tends toward the Tiger, partularly the Tiger II.

The 17pdr is a tank killer, proved over and over again in WWII.  I am very glad to be able to have one in a BG!

So it may not be so much about the odds of the 17pdr killing another tank, but how vulnerable the Sherman is to these tanks, and so you get the experience you describe.  I would say, not far from the mark.

And we haven't said anything about the relative quality of the tank crews!  How did Wittman clock up all those kills? How come (in the early stages) the Russians weren't more effective with vastly superior armour (T34 & KV1) which no German tank could match H2H...

Just some thoughts...

Dima

Rep: 87.3
votes: 16

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:19 pm Post subject: Re: LET ME KNOW WHEN PATCH COMES OUT! ARGGG my rant wish lis Reply with quote

Quote:
wow, thats quite the rant.  However, 17 pounder.. is death to all armour, one of the best guns of the war.  No problem taking out any german armour at even 1000m front.

funny Smile.

Quote:
but in LSA.....its all different, allied armour had like panther/king tiger AT ability, WTF!

they don't know that but they have probably equipped all the 17-pdrs with APDS Wink.

Quote:
Against a Panther, the Sherman is very vulnerable, but so is the Panther.  AT close ranges, I would think that there is nothing in it.  They can both destroy each other as easily.  At longer ranges, the advantage maybe towards the Panther if from the front, otherwise, the Panther is still very vulnerable.

".....It was found that a 75-millimetre gun made no impression on the front at all, unless it was lucky enough to hit the turret ring, a very small target indeed. The 17-pounder was more encouraging (as related earlier we were equipped with one 17-pounder tank for every three seventy-fives) for it penetrated the front of the Panther's turret at three hundred yards, though it did not always go through the sloped front plate of the hull. On the whole, we decided that head-on Panthers should be treated with circumspection. In point of fact we found ourselves in just that position a few days later, and the results were just as unhappy as our trial shoot indicated...." Smile.

ANZAC_Tack

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:48 am Post subject: Re: LET ME KNOW WHEN PATCH COMES OUT! ARGGG my rant wish lis Reply with quote

add to list:

ammo:
50 rounds really the combat amout for a lee enfield para trooper? im sure 1 magazine and 1  bandollier  total 60 rounds would be the absolute worst case minimum! im sure all would have 110 rounds even if they lost there webbing, how about 110 rounds for every infantryman!(1 loaded magazine, 2 bandolliers)

browning .50, its got the ammo thats i estimate lasts for 3 minutes sustained firing, this weapon has been downgraded in penetration and kill as it is, and its got a few links of ammo...cc1/5 i think 1250 rounds i seen in some mods, 250 bare minimum, this game its less...why? 500 rounds at least....and a 3 man team, guner gets gun, second gets tripod, 3rd gets 5 crates of 100 rounds .50, all run same speed, about half normal...not all sprint and gunner it 1/3rd speed....think about it please!

my bren gun units para today and a few times said"NO AMMO"when bren gun had 292 rounds, sten full 190 and lee enfields 10 rounds each...im sorry thats NOT NO AMMO!

saving ammo,
morters should fire all rounds, i dont give a rats ass if its last 4, lives depend on that last salvo going downrange when i give the friggin order! i'd shoot the barstards if they held 4 rounds off when gerry storms my weapon pit! get rid of the winging poms 'saving ammo'shit....just fire and fix bayonets!!!!

scavenging:
why cant men pick up ammunition of the same calibur for there weapon, instead of picking up new weapon!(example, my snipers always out of ammo within 3 minutes of combat, i make em crawl to any friendly dead, they got a nice Lee Enfield No4HT heavy barrell teloscopic sight weapon, and they pick up a fuckin standard No4, WTF idots! pick up the ammo and keep firing OMG!

why cant i pick up enemy grenades/smoke?'simple stuff, pull pin throw, or remove ser clip, bash on helmet throw, aint rocket science...

espree de corp

squadleader_id

Rep: 53.2
votes: 7

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:12 am Post subject: Re: LET ME KNOW WHEN PATCH COMES OUT! ARGGG my rant wish lis Reply with quote

ANZAC_Tack wrote (View Post):

scavenging:
why cant men pick up ammunition of the same calibur for there weapon, instead of picking up new weapon!(example, my snipers always out of ammo within 3 minutes of combat, i make em crawl to any friendly dead, they got a nice Lee Enfield No4HT heavy barrell teloscopic sight weapon, and they pick up a fuckin standard No4, WTF idots! pick up the ammo and keep firing OMG!

why cant i pick up enemy grenades/smoke?'simple stuff, pull pin throw, or remove ser clip, bash on helmet throw, aint rocket science...

I posted about this at the Matrix forum...but I guess this needed another engine code tweak beyond the scope of the rereleases.

panssarijaakari

Rep: 15.6

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:15 pm Post subject: Re: LET ME KNOW WHEN PATCH COMES OUT! ARGGG my rant wish lis Reply with quote

scavenging:

I do believe you need to take in consideration that the standard Lee Enfield was fed from 5-round stripper clips, into a fixed magazine. The sniper version of the Lee Enfield had a scope attached, right above the bolt, so feeding the sniper version of the rifle with the clips was impossible, it had to be manually loaded, one cartridge after another. This goes for every single bolt-action rifle used during WWII, with the lone exception of the Mosin Nagant.

If you were to pick up stripper clips containing the same cartridges as your sniper rifle used, you'd have to remove every single cartridge and load it into the magazine, something with is both impractical and takes time, especially when bullets are flying.

"butbutbutbut teh emmpee fourty has teh same ammo as the sten gun lol", you might say. In a matter of fact, you are correct. However, the MP40 and the Sten feed from two different magazines. For instance, the MP40 can't be feed from a Sten gun's mag, since the construction of the magazine is designed for the Sten gun, and the MP40's mag lock doesn't fit the Sten gun's magazine, and the same story with Sten guns and MP40 magazines. So, if you were to pick up MP40 mags for your Sten gun, you'd have to remove the 9mm cartridges from the MP40 mag, feed them into a Sten gun mag, one by one, and then load the magazine into your Sten gun. It takes even more time than with the Lee Enfield.

Conclusion: It's too complex to code, and the makers decided to keep things a little simple.

squadleader_id

Rep: 53.2
votes: 7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:06 am Post subject: Re: LET ME KNOW WHEN PATCH COMES OUT! ARGGG my rant wish lis Reply with quote

^^^
What should reconsidered for recoding:
Squad ammo sharing.  Say a squad armed mostly with M1 Garand rifles...one soldier runs out ammo...he should receive some ammo from his buddies first (providing that they're in close proximity and not pinned down).  Instead in CC the soldier will remain useless with "no ammo"...or will pick-up enemy weapons when available.

7A_Woulf

Rep: 22.1
votes: 2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:11 am Post subject: Re: LET ME KNOW WHEN PATCH COMES OUT! ARGGG my rant wish lis Reply with quote

squadleader_id wrote (View Post):
^^^
What should reconsidered for recoding:
Squad ammo sharing.  Say a squad armed mostly with M1 Garand rifles...one soldier runs out ammo...he should receive some ammo from his buddies first (providing that they're in close proximity and not pinned down).  Instead in CC the soldier will remain useless with "no ammo"...or will pick-up enemy weapons when available.

And an extension of this: Team sharing of MG's and mortars. As it is now the poor gunner carries the weight of the entire weapon AND all ammunition, is it not possible to make them split the weapon in two-three parts in the team (except for shorter move-orders) and the rest of the team carries the ammunition?

"When the tough gets going, I run to live to run another day..."

"Is this trip really necessary?"

ANZAC_Tack

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:32 am Post subject: Re: LET ME KNOW WHEN PATCH COMES OUT! ARGGG my rant wish lis Reply with quote

lee enfield no4 did not have a fixed magazine, i owned 2 mk III* versions,and i was into studying the rifles from boar was enfield long to the last aussie made lee enfield No4mk5 in 1955. all rifles had a 10 round short removable magazine, all fitted each other to my best knowledge from mk1 to mk5 all used same magazine, same stripper clip, just different bayonet fittings.

the HT sniper may of kept the single shot cut off loader, deleted during ww1 (was designed to cut off from magazine, to keep it for emergencies, but in emergencies it could accidently be shot off, thus loading nothing and the dreaded click...all sniper rifles had 10 shot magazine, only the artillery/calvary carbine had a 5 round magazine.this was deleted from service by most armies by ww2.

so, all lee enfield rifles could remove magazine from other rifles.

and i agree snipers should reload 1 round at a time, in 10 round increments to be accurate. i preferred to fire 1, load 1 to be ready for emergencies. this would save ammo.

snipers in this game are also rubbish shots, i seen 100 rounds fired at targets firing at 100 meters and not kill...these must be the conscripts given sniper rifles straight out of boot camp, who have had double rum rations...and blind in 1 eye, with a trigger set at 30 lbs pull weight, with scope firing 1moa above target...with mould in the scope, and ww1 round nose mk5 ammunition...and pitted barrell...shall i go on lol...

espree de corp

panssarijaakari

Rep: 15.6

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:06 pm Post subject: Re: LET ME KNOW WHEN PATCH COMES OUT! ARGGG my rant wish lis Reply with quote

lee enfield no4 did not have a fixed magazine, i owned 2 mk III* versions,and i was into studying the rifles from boar was enfield long to the last aussie made lee enfield No4mk5 in 1955. all rifles had a 10 round short removable magazine, all fitted each other to my best knowledge from mk1 to mk5 all used same magazine, same stripper clip, just different bayonet fittings.

the HT sniper may of kept the single shot cut off loader, deleted during ww1 (was designed to cut off from magazine, to keep it for emergencies, but in emergencies it could accidently be shot off, thus loading nothing and the dreaded click...all sniper rifles had 10 shot magazine, only the artillery/calvary carbine had a 5 round magazine.this was deleted from service by most armies by ww2.

so, all lee enfield rifles could remove magazine from other rifles.

and i agree snipers should reload 1 round at a time, in 10 round increments to be accurate. i preferred to fire 1, load 1 to be ready for emergencies. this would save ammo.

snipers in this game are also rubbish shots, i seen 100 rounds fired at targets firing at 100 meters and not kill...these must be the conscripts given sniper rifles straight out of boot camp, who have had double rum rations...and blind in 1 eye, with a trigger set at 30 lbs pull weight, with scope firing 1moa above target...with mould in the scope, and ww1 round nose mk5 ammunition...and pitted barrell...shall i go on lol...

You are right, the Lee Enfield did have a 10-round removable magazine. However, I believe you may be a little mistaken; (all) the Lee Enfield rifles fed from 5-round stripper clips inserted into the open bolt above the magazine, right? That's pretty much basic knowledge about most bolt action rifles, we  know that etc. etc.
Now, I've never heard about anyone loading any Lee Enfield by actually changing the mag and inserting a fresh one. I'm positive that it is more difficult than just open the bolt, grab two clips and insert them to the mag (which I decided to call fixed, since it is not like detachable magazines used by pistols and SMG's) instead of changing the mags.

Also, the sniper version of the Lee Enfield rifle is just basically a standard issue (if not cherry picked) one fitted with a scope, and the scope prevents use of clips. I might not have made this clear, so any misunderstandings would probably be my bad.

However, if I'm completely wrong, my apologies.

Also, why own 2 Mk. III* rifles?

ANZAC_Tack

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:45 am Post subject: Re: LET ME KNOW WHEN PATCH COMES OUT! ARGGG my rant wish lis Reply with quote

we are talking 2 different points lol...

my point being the magazine where detachable, i used to load with stripper clip on all occations, but removed magazine for cleaning, it was simple leaf spring release near trigger guard.

no sniper could use stripper clips bar (thats i can think of top of my head) the m1 garand and russian nagant, as both had a unusual side mounted scope.

it would be faster for a sniper to fire 10 rounds and remove magazine,place in new, but i never seen a rifle issued with more then 1 magazine,( i would aquire several if it was me for such emergencies lol) then reload every round, though most would,1 at a time.

i had 2 aussie lithgow made no1 MkIII* from 1943 and 1942. one had a old ww1 style bolt and magazine cut off slot, but removed.only some sabotour put in taps for a civy scope. also had a safety mounted post sight for military long shooting. sold both now, was my first and last rifle to get, 21 years i had one for.

espree de corp

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat Last Stand Arnhem

Jump to: