Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1222
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Author
Pzt_Kanov

Rep: 14.2
votes: 9

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:33 pm Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

davidssfx wrote (View Post):

I think the best of both worlds would be to have historical photos for the Battle Group screen ... and TLD style icons for in game.
The small black silhouette icons work well for identifying Teams in game (F5).

I think this is the best, and I think it was used in GJS 4.3, with photos on the BG screen and small but easily identifiable icons on the team info panel.

US_Brake

Rep: 24.2
votes: 22

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:33 pm Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

Best of Luck on this project. And Fun !

Private H_1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  56.66 KB
 Viewed:  8270 Time(s)

Private H_1.jpg

Close Combat's most infamous SOB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Cathartes

Rep: 101.3
votes: 15

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:43 pm Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

Lebisey Woods, a monster of a map.  This is now working in game.  Latest view here:

see end of thread

pagskier

Rep: 25

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:10 pm Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

looking damn nice! can't wait!

tigercub

Rep: 23.5
votes: 2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:04 am Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

take a look at the pics on the squads in the Stalingrad mod! they arer sweet! poor ...images my ass..

The best Target is the one you just Hit!

Started with CC1 Demo

Cathartes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:09 pm Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

a gander at mortar behavior:

Link

and another round:

Link

tigercub

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:20 am Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

Thx again Cathartes but the only round that got close killed the gun thats a worry in it self...in both vids

nice sounds firing and landing of the rounds sweet.

IMHO a min range of 450m! even with large maps is way to big...i am always barking about WW2 data accuracy but in this case there needs to be a balance.

a more realistic approach to mortar behavior sure but 450m worth?

i dont want to be a bad guy here your doing a Fantastic job...just 2 cents

Started with CC1 Demo

Cathartes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:56 am Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

2 cents are what forums are for.

Why should a player always be able to use mortars to instantly fire on almost anything/everything?

You missed the round that landed close and killed a crew member.  Also, gun crew/ infantry on ambush and/or prone= less vulnerable to mortars/shrapnel. AT guns operating in the open get their crews killed more often by nearby rounds.

Two narrow examples here don't tell the whole story, but was hoping it would spark some comment.

Universal truth in CC: universal agreement on mortars is impossible.

davidssfx

Rep: 16.8
votes: 8

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:31 am Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

Cathartes wrote (View Post):
a gander at mortar behavior:

Link

and another round:

Link

excellent work

Amgot

Rep: 46.8

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:22 am Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

Looks good to me - maybe decrease the shells flight time a tad. With GJS, Meuse and probably Stalingrad coming to TLD, I'm gonna be a very very happy CC player in the next few months years.

tigercub

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:19 am Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

Many of newer CC games Mortars have been a problem mostly over powered knocking out open top AC and AT guns in a few rounds, anyone who knows anything about these weapons knows without Line of sight your just shooting in the dark (unless you had a spotter with a Radio)and killing of Halftracks and Armored Cars ....was very few indeed...Mortars were a surpressing weapon mostly only useful with LOS.

The US 81mm M1 mortar Minimum range 200 yards German and Russian much the same

German 50mm  Minimum range 55 yards

US 60mm Minimum range 100 yards

so i dont why you are going for 450m Cathartes

Started with CC1 Demo

Cathartes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:11 pm Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

for medium mortars:

capable, stated range of a mortar in no way equals practical employment and effective range in combat, and misinformation abounds.

terrain, tube and ammunition logistics, spotting & fire control, all required employing medium to heavy mortars dug-in from an un-obstructed position.  British/Canadian 3" mortars employed in NW Europe were typically kept 500-2500m behind intended targets.  Flight time of the shell was realistically between 10 and 20 seconds.  Minimum range of mortars was rarely employed unless a desperate, last-ditch attempt to defend a position was required.

Priapus

Rep: 18.6
votes: 1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:17 pm Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

Is the flight time decreasing the longer the mortar is firing on a single target?

Cathartes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:23 pm Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

Priapus wrote (View Post):
Is the flight time decreasing the longer the mortar is firing on a single target?

no, might just be confusing because of the tubes joining in the fire at different times.  Flight time is fixed in data regardless of target range or acquisition.  But if there could ever be a CC engine that could better incorporate indirect mortar and arty... (we can wish).

davidssfx

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:08 pm Post subject: Re: Mortars Reply with quote

regarding mortars:
Dima's mortar data is GT2.0 works very well in my opinion ... please give it a try for comparison. It's effect on Infantry, ATG, HT, AC, and Tanks seems very reasonable.

As for min range ... 200 yards for Medium Mortars and 100 yards for Light Mortars seems to work well too.
Mortars also provide smoke cover, so that needs to be considered. An attacking BG sometimes has a very small deployment zone, which limits the ability to deploy mortars far enough back to provide suppression fire and smoke cover for an attack.
In my opinion ... if you can limit the accuracy and damage of Mortars at min firing range of 200 yards for Medium and 100 yards for Light ... then that is the best solution. This way further distances will be less accurate, but smoke and suppression are still capable at 200 (med) and 100 yards (Light).

Also limiting mortar selection quantities is important. I've put together a selection rules overlay based on Platoon formation. You are welcome to use it as an extra option for players to use.

PlatoonOverlayRules.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  279.44 KB
 Viewed:  8101 Time(s)

PlatoonOverlayRules.jpg

PlatoonOverlayRulesFinal.zip
 Description:
PSD layer

Download
 Filename:  PlatoonOverlayRulesFinal.zip
 Filesize:  1.01 MB
 Downloaded:  258 Time(s)

Last edited by davidssfx on Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:05 am; edited 1 time in total

schrecken

Rep: 195

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:30 pm Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

Quote:
Flight time of the shell was realistically between 10 and 20 seconds.

Flight time is just a "Fake" in CC but is incorporated to add to the feel of realism.

Hitting the target is calculated at firing time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Cathartes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:35 pm Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

Quote:
Dima's mortar data is GT2.0 works very well in my opinion ... please give it a try for comparison. It's effect on Infantry, ATG, HT, AC, and Tanks seems very reasonable.

As for min range ... 200 yards for Medium Mortars and 100 yards for Light Mortars seems to work well too.
Mortars also provide smoke cover, so that needs to be considered. An attacking BG sometimes has a very small deployment zone, which limits the ability to deploy mortars far enough back to provide suppression fire and smoke cover for an attack.
In my opinion ... if you can limit the accuracy and damage of Mortars at min firing range or 200 yards for Medium and 100 yards for Light ... then that is the best solution. This way further distances will be less accurate, but smoke and suppression are still capable at 200 (med) and 100 yards (Light).

Also limiting mortar selection quantities is important. I've put together a selection rules overlay based on Platoon formation. You are welcome to use it as an extra option for players to use.

I like how GT2.0 and Dima have employed mortars--I will take another look.  I recall them being fairly benign against infantry in the open, and this is where mortars should shine.  There are many ways to skin this cat considering a CC engine that significantly abstracts the use of mortars. I think that limiting mortar selection is one way to go, but I like to option to gamble in certain tactical situations/battles and trade out  BG slots with more mortar tubes in order to deliver an unexpected, old-fashioned "stonk".  

My criteria for finding a solution to the "mortar problem" have been the following:

1. preserve the impressive power they could deliver against infantry.
2. eliminate their ability to consistently, quickly, and accurately destroy open-topped AFVs and ATGs
3. make their effective employment cost something.
4. limit universal convenience without eliminating threat.

davidssfx

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:16 pm Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

Cathartes wrote (View Post):
My criteria for finding a solution to the "mortar problem" have been the following:

2. eliminate their ability to consistently, quickly, and accurately destroy open-topped AFVs and ATGs

Sounds well thought out. I've of course commented without knowing exactly how your mortars work, but since I think mortars need special attention in CC ... I'll add some more.
* = comments

in GT2.0, mortars are powerful against infantry in the open and when upright, but much less affected when prone

two med mortars should:
a. very rarely disable Tanks, rarely wound crew, low morale loss
b. rarely destroy HT/AC, occasionally disable vehicle and wound crew, medium morale loss
c. rarely destroy ATG, occasionally kill but consistently wound crew, high morale loss
d. always kill/wound moving infantry, occasionally wound prone, high morale loss

a. no paired mortars for one slot
b. limit of three, and available only in slots where higher value assets are selected from (as in Platoon overlay). Forces a player to consider their use via trade off reasoning ... rather than just replacing infantry teams with mortars, while at the same time keeping Tanks, ATG's, HT/AC, MG's .

a. limit accuracy and damage, so at least two are needed to be effective
b. min firing range

I understand if you don't want to include the Platoon overlay ... some players don't want to have limits and most aren't familiar with the active roster representing one (real life numbers) Infantry Platoon with weapons platoon ... supported by tank platoon assets. But I prefer using the overlay, and have found it to be effective at generating what I believe is more realistic and balanced game play. Although I realize why the CC active roster is designed as it is ... it could be argued, that with the inherent limits of CC (soldiers per team and 15 slot max) that CC should have been from the start portrayed as a single rifle platoon with weapons platoon assets supported by Company/Battalion assets (Tank Platoon or combination of other support ... Med Mortar, ATG, HT/AC).
just a suggestion anyway ... but will be glad to play without it too  Very Happy

Thanks again for TLD GJS  Smile

Last edited by davidssfx on Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:12 am; edited 2 times in total

tigercub

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:11 am Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

now were getting somewere  Cool  Illumintion rounds  for the night?

still just one night turn?

Started with CC1 Demo

schrecken

Rep: 195

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:13 am Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

Consider giving new personal weapons to the teams.

Short range and innacurate to increse that cost.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat The Longest Day
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Jump to: