Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1210
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
US_Brake

Rep: 24.2
votes: 22

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:19 am Post subject: Greatest Tank Battles and other new WWII TV series Reply with quote

Greatest Tank Battles (2010)
This new series currently running on the Military Channel. Tonight Kursk airs. If you haven't seen any please check this youtube real good shit man.

Link

Kursk Episodes

Link

Link

Close Combat's most infamous SOB

Last edited by US_Brake on Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:44 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

platoon_michael

Rep: 56.2
votes: 25

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:11 am Post subject: Re: Greatest Tank Battles (TV Series) Reply with quote

I seen the one for the BotB and it was pretty good.
Wish I knew if that was a PC game they are using or just computer generated for the show.

US_Brake

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:21 pm Post subject: Re: Greatest Tank Battles (TV Series) Reply with quote

"Patton Commanded a Powerful force of 160,000 Men, 1,500 artillery guns and 930 Shermans."

MUHAHAHAHAH !  Laughing

I liked how the program demonstrates the standard use of smoke in the US vs Germ Tank tactics.

3rd Army Vets description of "Bypass and Haul Ass" ...Priceless.

The Afrika Episode

Link

Normandy Episode

Link

Last edited by US_Brake on Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:58 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Dima

Rep: 87.3
votes: 16

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:02 pm Post subject: Re: Greatest Tank Battles (TV Series) Reply with quote

What a bullshit Sad.

FFL_Kklinkk

Rep: 12.1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:51 am Post subject: Re: Greatest Tank Battles (TV Series) Reply with quote

platoon_michael wrote (View Post):
I seen the one for the BotB and it was pretty good.
Wish I knew if that was a PC game they are using or just computer generated for the show.

Looks like those Theater of War graphics

dj

Rep: 157.5
votes: 9

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:57 pm Post subject: Re: Greatest Tank Battles (TV Series) Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of the History Channel however very disappointed with Greatest Tank Battles.  They use that computer animation with very little actual film footage.
The little they do show is generic 10 second clips of stuff already shown many times over.  Regarding Kursk - there could be a legitimate shortage of the real film footage.  The other segments there is no excuse not to show real film.

The German footage was probably looted or destroyed by the Russians.  The Russian footage?   The History Channel previously claimed that much of it is still hidden in the archives in Moscow.  The archives did grant limited access recently for the History Channel - but it was only for 1 hour.

Off topic - but recently they claimed the famous skull fragment held in the Moscow archives allegedly that of Hitler - was scientifically proven NOT to be Hitler.  It was from a body of someone believed to be in their 20's.

What will the Revolution Change? - Youth Brigade

Atilla

Rep: 2.5
votes: 1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:21 pm Post subject: Re: Greatest Tank Battles (TV Series) Reply with quote

Quote:
Looks like those Theater of War graphics

Theatre of War actually has (a lot) better graphics than this series. I'll give Greatest Tank Battles 3 stars out of 10. I'm in a generous mood.

mooxe

Rep: 221.4
votes: 25

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:35 pm Post subject: Re: Greatest Tank Battles (TV Series) Reply with quote

History channel does do a good job reenacting dog fights in the other computer animated series... I think its called Dog Fights actually. I enjoyed the episodes I watched.

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

dj

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:34 pm Post subject: Re: Greatest Tank Battles (TV Series) Reply with quote

Yes I had high hopes for this series and would give it even less than 3 out of 10 stars.  One part in particular was a bunch of bull.  Maybe there was something lost in translations from German to English.  The German veteran claimed that his Stug40 was stuck on a tree stump/logs with a T-34 just 200 meters in front of him.
Then he claims the crew had enough time to jump out with axes (shovels he meant?) and chop all the wood underneath the Stug40 to free it.  Then the supposedly all had time to jump back in and fire a perfect shot to knock out the same T-34.  So the T-34 crew was having a coffee break for 20 minutes?  LOL

Dima

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:12 am Post subject: Re: Greatest Tank Battles (TV Series) Reply with quote

Yeah, Dj, before i thought that stories on the Russian channels were bad, but now i relealize that they are very historical in comparison to the History Channel movies Sad.
Now i see where those stupid WW2 myths come from...

matthewhalos

Rep: 42.3

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:24 pm Post subject: Re: Greatest Tank Battles (TV Series) Reply with quote

History channel shows the best TV series about any conflict in war......
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

US_Brake

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:54 am Post subject: Re: Greatest Tank Battles (TV Series) Reply with quote

I will be buying this series. I like the focus on combat. Very action packed. The veterens candid stories are great. These type of series can always be improved upon...yes... but it's not that bad. Compare it to the shows on Nazi UFO's in Atlantis.

The documentary film industry would be rewarding work if you got with the right producers.

Bulge

Link

Korea

Link

Last edited by US_Brake on Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:57 am; edited 1 time in total

Dima

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:04 am Post subject: Re: Greatest Tank Battles (TV Series) Reply with quote

Recently the History Channel has bought the Russian documentary mini-series "The Great War" released in 2010.

It's 8 series show the main battles fought in the Eastern Front and were created by one of the best modern Russian historians Alexei Isaev and producer Artem Drabkin (http://english.iremember.ru/) to show the real history of GPW and bust alot of CW propaganda myths.

Example - 4th serie - Stalingrad (in Russian):
http://rutube.ru/tracks/3161100.html

Let's just hope the translation and adaptation will not get all the CW shit back to that good series.

US_Brake

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:17 am Post subject: Re: Greatest Tank Battles (TV Series) Reply with quote

I had not seen this one Dima, WoW. I really like the graphic style of the series, I hope I can watch it with english subltitles that would be perfect. Looks like all or most of the series is on youtube.

Link

Dima

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:44 pm Post subject: Re: Greatest Tank Battles (TV Series) Reply with quote

Quote:
I had not seen this one Dima

i don't believe it is out as it was bought in October or November 2010 - needs time for adaptation, translation, etc.

dj

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:23 pm Post subject: Re: Greatest Tank Battles (TV Series) Reply with quote

It should be called "The Great Patriotic War"...I thought that was the usual Russian reference to the war in the east front.  I met Russians here in America that told me there own stories.  One guy I worked with could barely even talk about his family experience in Leningrad, he got too upset and he served in the Soviet Army.
Another Russian harbored a lot of hatred towards Germans.  She even got mad that we had a German co-worker in the office.

The best documentary to date I have seen was made by the BBC, War of the Century.  I have also picked-up Time Life's Apocalypse WWII - made by French production company - they claim to have some new footage.

tedy28

Rep: 59.9

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:38 pm Post subject: Re: Greatest Tank Battles (TV Series) Reply with quote

what problems?SmileI understand everything Smile))

US_Brake

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:36 pm Post subject: Re: Greatest Tank Battles (TV Series) Reply with quote

You can watch the Apocalypse WWII series on you tube now. It is much more enjoyable on DVD. I concider it one of my best "overviews" of WW2 in my collection now. French viewpoints, are plentiful, as should be, including glipses into the true horror of the War.

Link

US_Brake

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:04 am Post subject: Re: Greatest Tank Battles and other new WWII TV series Reply with quote

War of the Century is a must see. I like about anything WW2 that comes out of the UK.

Link

7A_Woulf

Rep: 22.1
votes: 2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:55 am Post subject: Re: Greatest Tank Battles and other new WWII TV series Reply with quote

This winter i tried to watch "The Second World War in Colour", but sadly I could only watch about 15 minutes of a few episodes before I got so disappointed that I gave up the whole idea.  Crying or Very sad  

The facts were very briefly, and not always right.
The footage was totally mixed up. Not only between different areas of operation, but also between the years; -Bulge pictures was used in both Normandy and the invasion of France, late production Pz IV with long 75mm guns during operation "Barbarossa" and so on...
And finally: -Much of the footage was colourized, making it useless as references and inspiration for me. ("Wait a minute, I've seen this scene before, in black and white!")

Maybe it's a good overview for common people, but I'm too much of a Geek to enjoy it!  Laughing

"When the tough gets going, I run to live to run another day..."

"Is this trip really necessary?"

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess

Jump to: