Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
EGoglas

Rep: 0.1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:50 pm Post subject: New to Close Combat - Help Please Reply with quote

It started with Panzer Corps. I love that game. Very fun.

While I was checking out the Matrix Games website, I stumbled across Close Combat, and immediately got the latest one. Finally a game that actually tries to depict real life company-level combat, instead of the usual RTS click-fest.

But alas, after trying my first battle (the first one on the battle list), I found myself completely overwhelmed. I did go through the Boot Camp levels, of course, but all they really taught me was that I should right click on a squad to get the orders menu.

Then I start my first battle, and they put me in a forest in command of some 16 squads. Now never mind that I can't actually see anything (even with the tree tops off), and can hardly tell where my troops are, I simply have no idea what to do. 5 seconds in the Germans are coming from the south and I hear gunshots, then the screams of my dying men. I have no idea who got shot. It took me a few moments to see the blood, and even then I wasn't completely sure.

My point is, do any of you fellow players have any advice for me on how to get into the game? Where to start?
I really want to understand this game. I watched some game-plays on youtube, and it seems really quite fun.

Thanks in advance.

Rep: 60.6

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:57 pm Post subject: Re: New to Close Combat - Help Please Reply with quote

Don't play those battles. They suck...
Close combat, and certainly Last stand arnhem, is about tactics. In a single battle it only handles about fighting and some battle drills.
a big aspect of tactics is the 'movement' part.
you should play campaigns. In campaigns there is the 'movement' aspect which is involved. When playing with these movements in mind, it totally changes the tactics and fighting on a map.

When you have difficulties to see your own troops, choose 'outline soldiers' in the option menu. I always choose 'cover' which is represented by outline color.

And become a member on gameranger, a lot of people can help you there. Practising is the best way to learn to play.

We are the pilgrims, master. We shall go
 always a little further, it may be
beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow,
 across that angry or that glimmering sea.

Pete

Rep: 118.1
votes: 12

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:10 pm Post subject: Re: New to Close Combat - Help Please Reply with quote

To make your units more visible go to the options menu and in the tab 'game play' choose your preferred setting for Team Info icons and soldier outlines. Furthermore, you can hotkey your units (CTRL + 0-9) so that you can easily switch between units. And you should use the inset map on which all your units are shown. The first time I played Close Combat I was at a loss too. I had to play with all enemy info on (Realism settings in the Command screen) for a while before I got to understand and defeat the AI. And make sure to read the game manual. It's there for a reason  Smile
Other than that it is just a matter of playing it until you are about to drop and still continue .
Have fun!

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis
(War is delightful to those who have no experience of it.)
Our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/buckandpete/
Our website: https://themodsection.net/

EGoglas

Rep: 0.1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:52 am Post subject: Re: New to Close Combat - Help Please Reply with quote

Thanks guys. The outline thing is really helpful. I'll also try the hot-keys next time I play.

I'm really starting to get into the game. Flanking, assaulting, different types of weaponry. I also tried out the first campaign, and it's just as confusing as the rest of the game. For example, how do I get my battle-groups fully supported, or whatever it calls it, to be able to give them artillery? I'm sure I'll get it eventually though. I'll be sure to take a peek at the manual like you said.

The game seems so complex. I just wish the tutorial was more thorough.

Anyway, thanks again guys. If you can think of any other little beginner's tips you can throw my way, it'd be appreciated.

kweniston

Rep: 57.9
votes: 1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:40 pm Post subject: Re: New to Close Combat - Help Please Reply with quote

Tip: use CTRL + T to toggle the trees on or off.

Your units need to be connected to a large supply depot (in LSA it's at Valkenswaard, all the way in the south) in order to receive artillery support, with no Axis controlled ground in between.
That means you will have to linkup XXX corps to the scattered units in the north.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat Last Stand Arnhem

Jump to: