Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:35 pm Post subject: Historical Kessel from Nov 24- Dec 24 (1942)
Jumped back into the Kessel. Here are the reports from the front.
My objectives are to fight to hold ground, while at the same time trying to rescue/break out/recover supply routes of any battle groups that are out of supply.
Settings: Elite/Elite- Morale on- 15 min- taking all VLs- no initiative for the Germans- all enemy info for the Russians.
Most of the battles went very well, concerving forces by the Germans, with few losses of armor.
Trying to take back the supply VL in Beketovka, the Germans suffered a morale defeat and lost several important gained areas at the battles end.
At Orlovka the 40PzJager/24PzDiv completely annihilated the 34 Engineer Rgt and received a total victory.
At Traktorniy Zavod the 40PzAufk/14PzDiv captured all but 2 VLs from the 253 Strelki Rgt.
At Rynok (last battle of Rd 1) the 2PzRgt/16Pz Div busted out of their small initial deployment area and made good progress to both the east and south.
*Forgot to note casualties but will post them for about half way thru Rd2.
Heavy Mortars were assigned to fire on the areas of Baburkin, Rakotino and Jelchi.
1. Vertiachy- went well with the 176 Pioneer/76 ID performing well and holding ground.
2. Baburkin- 131 GrRgt/44 ID (no supply) smashed the 14 Eng/4th Guards with the awesome help of the heavy mortars (knocked out katushka and 2 tanks) causing them to fail morale check. The resulting ground gained however did not get the supply VL back into German hands, so still no supply to these guys.
3. Marinovka- The 29 GrRgt/3rd MotID (no supply) was hit hard by the 254 TkBrig/13 MechCorps and suffered too heavy a morale loss. Lack of supply really hurt as the 3rd Mot tried desperately to regain their supply route east. Bad planning by commander in trying to hold several areas while at the same time trying to regain supply with little ammo/fuel. Thinking of disbanding them maybe.
4. Rakotino- With heavy mortar help the 29 GrRgt/29th MotID achieved a Total Victory smashing the 14 MotArty/26 Tank Corps off the map. Once again heavy mortar was awesome. Big win!
5. Beketovka- A disappointing moral fail was once again forced on the Germans after the aggressive commander tried to regain supply to Jelchi and the lower parts of the city of Stalingrad. Three teams of the 524 GrRgt/297 ID were wiped out immediately trying to rush the VL to Jelchi, then several more back up teams were hit by Katushka and Big Gun fire of the 118 Strelki/138 StrelkiDiv. After the morale fail what hard earned ground in the southeast that the Germans had acquired were given back to the Russians, not to mention the bloody ground toward Jelchi gained by the early rush. Dang it!
6. Jelchi- A tough fight at Jelchi with the 669 GrRgt/371 ID and the 126 Strelki Rgt butting heads. The heavy mortar did not help as much here as the Russians were set up mostly in two areas and the commander called in fire on the one doing less damage to the Germans. Another mistake by the commander... the furher will not be pleased.
7. Krasnaia Plochad- Germans start the battle here with all but 2 VLs after a nice performance in the Rd 1 battle. Interesting no Russian armor here, which makes it easier. Initial charges in the north and south are stomped back by the 517 GrRgt/295 ID and the elements of the 284 Strelki Div retreated off the map. The square is ours!
German KIA 260 WIA 222 3 Armor/ 7 Vehicles/ 6 Guns
Russian KIA 392 WIA 344 16 Armor/ 5 Vehicles/ 8 Guns
*6 areas are under German complete control: Krasnaia Plochad, Orlovka, Gumrak, Pitomnik and Rakotino.
8. Krasny Oktiabr- all but 3 VLs controlled by the Germans after the Rd 1 battle, so the commander decided to use armor and try to really smash the Russians off the map. Things started well for the 2ndBat/ 244 SturmAbtl with tank and infantry fire decimating Russians all over the map and the Germans trying to press the advantage. The 42 Strelki/ 13 Guards fought hard, and when the German armor moved up for the final kill... a Heavy Gun knocked one out and Russian infantry damaged another (losing two tanks was NOT in the plans). Crap.
16 KIA/ 20 WIA plus two tanks for the Germans, 43 KIA/ 22 WIA plus one gun for the Guards.
9. Kotluban- Nice fighting by 60th Mot ID was rewarded with capturing all but 2 VLs from the Russian 16 MotStrelki/ 16 TankCorps. 3 to 14 KIA/ 7 to 23 WIA/ 1 vehicle to 1 tank with casualties. Really the first time Katushka's were not effective for the Russians which was a welcomed relief. The Russian charges going westward and southward were reduced and then counterattacked leaving only a sliver of area going west, and wiping out the forces trying to attack south. Tough fight with the Germans being able on this map to wait in areas with good fields of fire but not under direct fire from watching Russians. Worked out well.
10. Traktoniy Zavod- next battle between the 40PzAufk/ 14 PzDiv and the 253 StrelkiRgt/45 StrelkiDiv. All but 2 VLs are under German control before the start.
Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:59 pm Post subject: Re: Historical Kessel from Nov 24- Dec 24 (1942)
A couple notes:
I am using the German vetmod and am playing the Campaign from Nov 24th.
Although hiding on maps and conserving forces is the smart way to have the best results, I would rather hold valuable terrain and attempt to recapture supply VLs for out of supply units.
This is more realistic for me... and more fun. It has caused high German casualties on a few maps, with considerable loss of armor/guns/vehicles that could haunt the Germans later... but as an out of supply unit would do- they are attempting to 'break out' or recapture the important supply VLs.
Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:18 pm Post subject: Re: Historical Kessel from Nov 24- Dec 24 (1942)
News from the boiling kettle.
10. Traktoniy Zavod- The 40th PZAufklar Abt/ 14 PzDiv crushed the 253 StrelkiRgt/ 45 StrelkiDiv
off the map. They retreated leaving the Tractor map to the German 6th Army. Casualties were:
3 KIA 51
7 WIA 36
1 armor to 1 vehicle/1 gun/1 gun captured. Just the way the German commander likes it.
11. Rynokl- Attempts were made by the 2ndPzRgt/ 16 PzDiv to expand their operational area while trying to capture the exit VL to the Traktoniy Zavod. An even fight with 11 kills for the Russians and 7 WIA. The 48MG Bat/ 39 Guards division suffered 17 dead and 36 wounded. The Germans captured most of the town and all of the Western edge of the map. The Russians still held the last VL in the south toward the Traktoniy map and the entire Eastern side of the map.
Casualty Report at end of Rd 2 Battles:
German KIA 293 WIA 260 6 armor/ 8 vehicles/ 6 guns
Russian KIA 517 WIA 461 18 armor/ 6 vehicles/ 11 guns
Rd 3 pre-turn MOVEMENT:
44 ID stays in Pitomnik. Probably should have moved them towards Stalingrad to relieve armor units. Oh well.
Heavy Mortars assigned to: Baburkin (unit needs help), Marinovka (trying to break Russian hold on supply VL), Jelchi (tough fight there), Kotluban (heavy Russian pressure).
Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:51 pm Post subject: Re: Historical Kessel from Nov 24- Dec 24 (1942)
Rd 3 Battles:
1. Vertiachy- The weakened 176 Pioneer Battalion/ 76 ID attempted to hold their current positions. After fierce resistance the 45 Tank Bge/ 4 Army Corp was stopped dead in their tracks with heavy losses. Casualties were: Germans 4 KIA, 14 WIA/ Russian 29 KIA, 29 WIA and 1 armor.
2. Baburkin- With Heavy Mortar support the 131 GR Rgt/ 44 ID was unable to recapture the VL to Pitomnik (in the Russian set-up area) and regain supply. The 14 Eng Rgt/ 4 Guards Div is a tough cookie. They had two infantry teams exactly on that VL. Dang it.
3. Marinovka- Using Heavy Mortar support here too... also trying to break out of encirclement by the Russians and overtake the VL back towards Pitomnik Airport. Out of supply so I don't know whether to add any vehicles for the attack since they may not have any fuel to move. Also ammunition will be low so the initial units attackings need to connect with any enemy team immediatly confronted. Kind of going for broke here with this unit's vehicles/guns maybe having to be left behind if disbanded. 29 GR Rgt/ 3rd Mot ID vs 254 Tank Bge/ 13 Mech Corps.
Disaster! The sneaky (don't hear or see that often) AI had tanks and infantry directly in the immediate path of all four of my assaulting units. In a matter of seconds... all were anihilated by tank, infantry and Katushka attack. Several supporting units still in buildings were then massively fired on every instance they 'raised their heads'. Heavy Mortars were not effective as usaul, hurting the German effort even more. In the last minute of the battle, several banged up units were converging on the badly needed supply VL after eliminating a tank from behind. Another tank came up and fired on my 1/2 platoon leader team supporting the assaulting aufks, killing them... then my side suffered a moral fail and the battle ended with the Germans losing even more territory.
Not only did the Germans lose ground, the heavy mortars were wasted and the losses were way too high.
I have to say, I was surprised by the efficent killing by the AI of my troops. Bad loss for Germans.
Germans 33 KIA, 20 WIA and 5 prisoners... ouch!
Russians 17 KIA, 12 WIA, 1 vehicle and 1 armor.
4. Rakotino- The tough 29 GR Rgt/ 29 Mot ID tried to extract some revenge for Marinovka on the Russian 14 Mot Arty Bge/ 26 Tank Corp with limited success. The Russians were stopped cold and reduced to holding only 1 VL on the map. A German Command HT survived a right-on
Katushka attack... which was shocking.
For some reason the Game has Beketovka as the next battle skipping over Jelchi.
5. Beketovka- The out of supply 524 GR Rgt/ 297 ID had to scratch and claw to pry 2 VLs away from the Russians. Thankfully the 118 Strelki Rgt/ 138 Strelki Div had no armor for the battle.
The distant roads north to Stalingrad and west to the Airports can still barely be seen. Still no supply.
6. Jelchi- With Heavy Mortar support the 669 GR Rgt/ 371 ID reduced the 126 Strelki of the LI Army's area to only 2 VLs while still holding firm the VLs going back towards the airports. With very little armor support the Russian infantry can make no advances against the Germans.
Next battle: Krasnaia Plochad- This map has irked me from the beginning of the battle with the Russians starting area surrounding a German flag hanging over the opening in the building. This was our previous forward HQ and we want BOTH the building and the flag back in our possesion.
This next battle the Russians having retreated the previous turn... again start back to the same area. I want our FLAG!
Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:07 pm Post subject: Re: Historical Kessel from Nov 24- Dec 24 (1942)
Still Rd 3
7. Krasnaia Plochad- My plan to capture the flag went well... until the end. The 517 GR Rgt/ 295 ID fought well and smacked the charging Russian 1047 Strelki/ 284 Strelki Div as they expanded to the north. After 3 teams of Russians were killed off, more followed on the same path and met the same fate. I wanted them to expand some north, so I could get to the flag area... but after destroying most of the northern expanding units and killing the two around the VL/flag the Russians RETREATED again. Dang it, no flag for us again! The Russians just don't fight very well on this map as their set up is mostly in the open and after the 1st VL northward... they have to cross a well protected street to advance any further. A human opponent would most likely just expand a little each battle putting more and more pressure on the Germans. Casualties were: German 6 KIA, 3 WIA. Russian 45 KIA, 40 WIA and 1 gun.
8. Krasny Oktiabr- Still thinking about the last battle, the German commander made several BLUNDERS this battle. In addition the 42 Strelki/ 13 Guards fought well and even took a VL away from the ambushing 2nd Bat/ 244 Sturm Abtl.
Blunder #1 = Impatient to start commander left one Sturm tank almost IN the Russian set-up area!!! Never even saw it, and never moved it before starting.
I tried to rush some infantry up to take the VL just east of the Sturm Tank and to kill the Russian tank... but they were killed by the tank and nearby infantry and eventually the Russians killed the Sturm tank .
Blunder #2 = Advancing Russian infantry which had already taken 1 VL in the southern portion of the factory started killing more of the German infantry in the factory... the Germans were having LOS and movement problems in the cramped factory. So, the other Sturm tank advanced to an opening in the factory to apply fire on the Russians. After killing several Russians... somehow, from SOMEWHERE unknown, the tank was hit and damaged. The loss of TWO tanks is inexcuseable and debilitating to the German cause. Bad playing really on my part.
9. Kotluban- Even with Heavy Mortar support, not much damage was done to the non-advancing 16 Motor Strelki of the 16 Tank Corps. A boring battle for the 160 Kradschutz/ 60 Mot ID only knocking out 1 enemy tank and causing few casualties vs the Russians. I think I may need to change my Heavy Mortar strategy and not worry so much about the out of supply BGs.
Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:57 pm Post subject: Re: Historical Kessel from Nov 24- Dec 24 (1942)
Some weekend battles:
10. Orlovka- The 40 PzJager Abtl/ 24 Pz Div spanked the 34 EngRgt/ LXVI Army causing heavy casualties. The Russians did not retreat from the map.
German 10 KIA/ 5 WIA
Russian 49 KIA/ 37 WIA
11. Traktorniy Zavod- Another good battle by the 40 PzAufkAbtl/ 14 Pz Div with heavy casualties for the 253 Strelki/ 45 Strelki Div. The Russians continued to hold the VLs that they occupied upon entering the map this turn.
German 3 KIA/ 3 WIA and 1 armor
Russian 43 KIA/ 36 WIA
12. Rynok- The 2nd Pz Rgt/ 16 Pz Div made nice progress but didn't manage to gain the southern VL that leads to the Tractor Factory. Darn it. The 48 MG Bat/ 39 Guards fought well.
German 15 KIA/ 7 WIA and 2 armor
Russian 29 KIA/ 29 WIA
Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:50 pm Post subject: Re: Historical Kessel from Nov 24- Dec 24 (1942)
Rd 4 start:
1. Vertiachy- The 176 Pioneer Bat/ 76 ID held their ground keeping the Russian 45 TankBge/ 4 Army Corp just away from the front bunker and holding them to only 2 VLs.
2. Baburkin- Once again the 131 PG/ 44 ID tried to gain the supply VL on the hill and once again barely failed against the 14 EngRgt/ 4 Guards. Still no supply for the tired German BG.
3. Marinovka- The 29 PG Rgt/ 3 Mot ID also tried to rest supply VLs away from the Russian 254 Tank Bge/ 13 Mech Corps and may have succeeded. Hard fought engagement with casualties as:
German 15 KIA 13 WIA and 1 vehicle and 1 gun.
Russian 24 KIA 14 WIA and 2 armor lost.
Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:58 pm Post subject: Re: Historical Kessel from Nov 24- Dec 24 (1942)
I am going to take a break from this one until the new year. I am playing in a GJS War and have some other games going on too. Hopefully when I return to this battle I will be able to provide screen shots for everyone. That is if a semi-old dog can be taught some new tricks .
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum You cannot attach files in this forum You can download files in this forum
In August of 2004, Zappi, Homba, Bambam887, RedScorpion and MOOXE all pitched
in to create this Close Combat site. I would to thank all the people who have visited
and found this site to thier liking. I hope you had time to check out some
of the great Close Combat mods and our forums. I'd also like to thank
all the members of our volunteer staff that have helped over
the years, and all our users that contributed to this site!