Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
pathojake

Rep: 0.1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:13 pm Post subject: Newbie looking for input Reply with quote

Hi there. I recently came across the Close Combat series and have been fascinated by it, watching LP videos on youtube and lurking the forums etc. I tried to torrent a title but I was only successful with CCM 3.1, and I'm having lots of fun with it. Anyway, I'm looking to buy one of the Matrix remakes and from what I've seen on these forums there appear to be some big differences between some of the titles. I was hoping to get some reccomendations as far as which title I should buy first. How do some of the titles differ from the others? Which are your personal favorites?

Thanks.

Stwa

Rep: 308.9
votes: 16

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:51 am Post subject: Re: Newbie looking for input Reply with quote

First off, I could not really recommend CCMT, until the day that I upload some of my mods, which will probably be never.

That leaves COI, WAR, TLD, and LSA.

I will let some of the others chime in if they want, but if you don't want something that looks and feels like a mod, that basically rules out WAR and TLD.

Then, if you don't really like antique interfaces CC3/COI or care for the Eastern Front WW2, then that leaves LSA.

LSA doesn't look like a mod, but its several revisions in at this point, and the more they keep messin with CC, the worse it gets. That is my take on the state of CC re-releases.

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:59 am Post subject: Re: Newbie looking for input Reply with quote

Of CC re-releases TLD is probably the best bet right now.

COI - is a series of operations on the Eastern Front like CC3 but has limited changes from it
WAR - follows a single battle and takes CC4/CC5 improving upon it by fixing bugs and adding a few features; BG can't move without fuel, BG's can be forced to retreat, etc.
TLD - follows a single battle and takes WAR improving upon it by adding a few features;  random entry VL for paratroopers, night battles, etc.
LSA - follows a single battle and takes TLD improving upon it by adding the most new features; blowing bridges, BG stacking, ability for troops to run under a bridge and on a bridge, ability to set specific entry VL's for BG's in the scenario editor for a single battle, etc. .  Probably will become the best CC with another patch...

Tejszd

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:36 pm Post subject: Re: Newbie looking for input Reply with quote

Moved to train wrecks....

Stwa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:35 am Post subject: Re: Newbie looking for input Reply with quote

Tejszd wrote (View Post):

COI - is a series of operations on the Eastern Front like CC3 but has limited changes from it
WAR - follows a single battle and takes CC4/CC5 improving upon it by fixing bugs and adding a few features; BG can't move without fuel, BG's can be forced to retreat, etc.
TLD - follows a single battle and takes WAR improving upon it by adding a few features;  random entry VL for paratroopers, night battles, etc.
LSA - follows a single battle and takes TLD improving upon it by adding the most new features; blowing bridges, BG stacking, ability for troops to run under a bridge and on a bridge, ability to set specific entry VL's for BG's in the scenario editor for a single battle, etc. .  Probably will become the best CC with another patch...

Hehe, it's out of hand already  Laughing

OK, I am going to just subtract from this quote what I feel like has either been under-stated, over-stated, not entirely accurate, not accurate at all, or things I just don't quite agree with, or new features I personally think are silly, and we will see what is left. Come on, it will be fun.  Idea

THIS IS NOT AN ATTACK on TEJSZD, MATRIX, OR ANY OTHER MEDIA PIRATE.  Laughing

Of CC re-releases TLD  
COI -
WAR - follows by fixing bugs and adding a few features; BG's can be forced to retreat.
TLD - follows.
LSA - follows by adding new features; ability for troops to run under a bridge and on a bridge.

Stwa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:23 am Post subject: Re: Newbie looking for input Reply with quote

a quote from Tejszd  Arrow

Here are some additonal remarks about this quote, which are strictly my own personal observations of SIMILAR (or expanded remarks), over time, during the production of the CC re-releases.

THIS IS NOT AN ATTACK on TEJSZD, MATRIX, OR ANY OTHER MEDIA PIRATE.  Laughing

The above quote, to me, is just a nice re-iteration of the marketing bullets, that followed, the planned (anticipated) revenue streams associated with the re-releases themselves.

No one, except perhaps Matrix and their accountants really know for sure, just what sales or profit was realized in the course of these productions.

But just a cursory glance at the commentary above, reveals to me the original strategy, and the current talking points, that any good salesperson would apply today (right now), to capture additonal sales for the series.

ArmeeGruppeSud

Rep: 9.5
votes: 7

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:57 am Post subject: Re: Newbie looking for input Reply with quote

pathojake wrote (View Post):
Hi there. I recently came across the Close Combat series and have been fascinated by it, watching LP videos on youtube and lurking the forums etc. I tried to torrent a title but I was only successful with CCM 3.1, and I'm having lots of fun with it. Anyway, I'm looking to buy one of the Matrix remakes and from what I've seen on these forums there appear to be some big differences between some of the titles. I was hoping to get some reccomendations as far as which title I should buy first. How do some of the titles differ from the others? Which are your personal favorites?

Thanks.
G'day M8

If you want command a company of soldiers and and command your troops through numerous battles, keeping track of your men, seeing heroes emerge among them, some of whom get promoted....
If you want to be able to fight through campaigns in many theatres of WW2, WW1, Vietnam and others............
If you want to play on many different battle maps (without the tedium of fighting endless battles , back and forth on the same maps, over and over and over again)..........

Then CC3/COI is the game for you!

There are dozens of mods you can install for CC3/COI and literally hundreds of maps.

If close combat is not what you want and you want to command units at a divisional level, then play Panzer General or something like that

Razz  <<<< pokes toungue out at CC4/CC5 addicts  Very Happy

cheers

AGS

_____

RIP

http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=10576

Stwa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:33 am Post subject: Re: Newbie looking for input Reply with quote

Moved to train wrecks....  Wink

THIS IS NOT AN ATTACK ON TEJSZD, MATRIX, OR ANY OTHER MEDIA PIRATE.  Laughing

AT_Stalky

Rep: 27.4
votes: 10

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:37 am Post subject: Re: Newbie looking for input Reply with quote

It turns out that Tejszd forgot to disclose the true state of the remakes, I’m sure Tejszd would wanted to include this to:

If they do a new CC game, before fixing the previous releases, then people should just post in that game's forum that your not buying it until Matrix fixes the last CC game(s).

Unfortunately I do not understand why it is taking so long and fear the longer it takes that it might be moving from when to if another patch is released....

I have also been upfront that the last TLD/WAR patch while positively adding the new vehicle pathing (..) [the patch] broke campaigns/operations as they can get corrupted.

Hopefully they can be motivated/shamed into some more patches given the current state of re-releases. But we all are just not hearing or seeing anything from them.

Ultimately Matrix determines what does or doesn't happen as far as patching goes or even new CC games.

Tejszd at Matrix games wrote (View Post):
It amazing that these items which are core to playing a campaign or operation in the game have not been dealt with. LSA really can only be played for single battles with these bugs.....

Tejszd at Matrix games wrote (View Post):
And TLD? As it WAR have the same campaign/operation saved game corruption problem....

Link to the last 2 qoutes, (at matrix).

You can fined more of Tejszd true thoughts about the CC-remakes here:
http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=63306#63306

Now, I do hope Stwa dont claim copyright on that disclaimer, but I take a chance here and borrow it from him:
THIS IS NOT AN ATTACK ON TEJSZD, MATRIX, OR ANY OTHER MEDIA PIRATE.

When reporting this post, please use the little red “!” mark in the upper right corner....

Last edited by AT_Stalky on Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

US_Brake

Rep: 24.2
votes: 22

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:25 am Post subject: Re: Newbie looking for input Reply with quote

Quote:
G'day M8

If you want command a company of soldiers and and command your troops through numerous battles, keeping track of your men, seeing heroes emerge among them, some of whom get promoted....
If you want to be able to fight through campaigns in many theatres of WW2, WW1, Vietnam and others............
If you want to play on many different battle maps (without the tedium of fighting endless battles , back and forth on the same maps, over and over and over again)..........

Then CC3/COI is the game for you!

There are dozens of mods you can install for CC3/COI and literally hundreds of maps.

If close combat is not what you want and you want to command units at a divisional level, then play Panzer General or something like that

ArmeeGruppeSud knows what he is talking about. Take notes, scrubs.

Close Combat's most infamous SOB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Tejszd

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:54 pm Post subject: Re: Newbie looking for input Reply with quote

You believe CC5 with its bugs is best and recommend it. I believe TLD/WAR with the bugs they have are the best CC and recommend them. Looks and sounds like a double standard on your part as you can do something which you say I can't.

I do not profit in any way from Matrix sales. I volunteered to help test so that I could argue for features I think would improve the game and or want for use in my mod.

I still believe LSA will probably be the best CC, Cathartes thinks this to as he is moving GJS to it, but with the current bugs for me it currently falls behind TLD/WAR, which I'm moving the Meuse mod to. Thus my recommendation for people to get TLD now and LSA later when it gets patched. Even with the current bugs they are a better platform for future CC mods than CC5 with its bugs. The advantage CC5 has right now are the mods already done...

What I said to pathojake is accurate and still would be my recommendation.

AT_Stalky

Rep: 27.4
votes: 10

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:55 pm Post subject: Re: Newbie looking for input Reply with quote

I almost made a mistake and replayed here, but you probable will just have me sent to the train wreck thread again, so to save time I answered there;
http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=7017&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=420

Stwa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:55 am Post subject: Re: Newbie looking for input Reply with quote

...Thus my recommendation for people to get TLD now and LSA later when it gets patched...

[SLAPS FOREHEAD]

Why didn't I think of that.  Idea

Why buy one buggy game, when you can buy two.  Idea

Hidden: 
THIS IS NOT AN ATTACK ON TEJSZD, MATRIX, OR ANY OTHER MEDIA PIRATE  Laughing

When reporting this post, please use the little red “!” mark in the upper right corner....

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess

Jump to: