Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
Manoi

Rep: 89.5
votes: 7

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:58 pm Post subject: after Panthers in the fog Reply with quote

though I have drawn a lot of maps for Close Combat (and especially the stalingrad ones), I'm happy that the new engine after panthers in the fog will be a 3D one. The restriction with the 2D and the old engine was too restrictive (one thing that always bothers me was the fact that the  original scale was too small and that we finally play with soldiers, vehicles and even maps that are not at the right scale (5 pixels by meter) . Now I cross my fingers that they will succeed in transposing this game in 3D with all its difficulties (floor repartition, combat in houses, building damages, crossable walls or not, scale). I have seen a lot of good look alike close combat 3D games as TOW or achtung panzer but neither were able to produce the same good gameplay as CC.

Stwa

Rep: 308.9
votes: 16

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:50 am Post subject: Re: after Panthers in the fog Reply with quote

There is a reason for that.

CC uses a top down view, with abstracted scales, to produce a real time STRATEGY GAME, that is fun to play.

If you took modern weapon systems as an example, an M1 tank can acquire targets up to 4 KM away. Rendering that in a 3d engine, at true scale, is not going to be much fun. And what will be the perpective of the commander (i.e. the player).

Especially if you must control 21 tanks per player.

It they can solve this dillema, great, but I am not sure anyone else has so far.

MajorFrank

Rep: 41.8
votes: 6

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:01 pm Post subject: Re: after Panthers in the fog Reply with quote

Stwa wrote (View Post):
There is a reason for that.

CC uses a top down view, with abstracted scales, to produce a real time STRATEGY GAME, that is fun to play.

If you took modern weapon systems as an example, an M1 tank can acquire targets up to 4 KM away. Rendering that in a 3d engine, at true scale, is not going to be much fun. And what will be the perpective of the commander (i.e. the player).

Especially if you must control 21 tanks per player.

It they can solve this dillema, great, but I am not sure anyone else has so far.

Well in WW 2 the distances weren't yet quite that long for tanks.

Combat Mission - series springs to mind as an example of how that type of fighting could be done. It's turn based and I would be happy with a proper 3d WW 2 game in real time.

Stwa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:36 am Post subject: Re: after Panthers in the fog Reply with quote

OK,

Anti-tank tactics during the war were largely integrated with the offensive or defensive posture of the troops being supported, usually infantry. Much of anti-tank tactics depend on the range effectiveness of various weapons and weapon systems available. These are divided as follows:

Operational range over the horizon (20–40 km range) – bomber aircraft and long range artillery
Tactical staging areas (7–20 km range) – ground attack aircraft and field artillery including MRLs
Tactical zone forming-up area and rear combat zone (2–7 km range) – heavy anti-tank guns and mortars
Tactical forward combat zone (1–2 km range) – anti-tank guns and tanks deployed in defense
Engagement distance (200–1000 m range) – mines and anti-tank rifles
Close combat distance (25–200 m range) – infantry anti-tank weapons

Anti-tank guns

And, WW2, no different than modern times, effective ranges of weapons, are directly affected by the target's ability to resist the ordinance.
So, anti-tank weapons confronting soft skin vehicles could presume longer effective ranges.

Therion

Rep: 27.4
votes: 4

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:33 pm Post subject: Re: after Panthers in the fog Reply with quote

Close Combat isn't a strategic game. It's a tactical game.

Wonderland - my mod for Armored Brigade

Killing for peace is like fucking for orgasm.

Stwa

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:53 am Post subject: Re: after Panthers in the fog Reply with quote

Therion wrote (View Post):
Close Combat isn't a strategic game. It's a tactical game.

You are indeed correct, my bad  Exclamation

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat Panthers in the Fog

Jump to: