Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1214
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Author
Stwa

Rep: 308.9
votes: 16

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:23 pm Post subject: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Reply with quote

Despite all my efforts to get the word out on the AI, and to try and help gamers improve their single player experiences, I must accept the fact that I have utterly failed in this regard.

Nevertheless, I continue to enjoy excellent tactical games against the AI, which is the good news for moi.

Consider the example provided in the pic.

There is only one victory location and the map is small but loaded with good cover. The deployment zones allow the AI to occupy most of the Northern part of the map. The AI does not have to expose its troops and can remain concealed. The game system forces soldiers to enter houses through the doors and windows. The forces are roughly equal in manpower and capabilites. There are no vehicles and the AI has several artillery, mortar, and air strikes, that kick in about 5 minutes into the game. Does your game system or mission editor allow for these provisions?

Translation, the HP is going to have a tough time just finding the AI soldiers, never mind flushing them out of the structures without any flamethrowers. Also, in my game there was no time limit. This was done to give the HP some chance of winning. If I set the time limit to 10 minutes (possible with CCMT), the HP would never win this scenario.

dj

Rep: 157.5
votes: 9

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:14 am Post subject: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Reply with quote

Now Slitherine on their website is claiming they have been sabotaged by fake negative reviews on a few websites and even went so far as posting a 2000 UK pounds reward for finding who did this.  Makes me wonder if the review on Finnish website is real or fake.

Although I just noticed the other review from Armchair General...which basically says the same thing and slams the AI gameplay.  Thus now we know the AI still is lame just like CC5 from 10 years ago.

What will the Revolution Change? - Youth Brigade

dj

Rep: 157.5
votes: 9

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:29 am Post subject: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Reply with quote

Maybe Slitherine / Matrix should hire TT, Dreaded88 or Pj to fix the horrible AI.

What will the Revolution Change? - Youth Brigade

Stwa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:04 am Post subject: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Reply with quote

The AI is the second most frustrating element of the game. When on the offensive it is weak. It seems unable to co-ordinate attacks or even pursue any logically aggressive action. This means the human player on defense is almost certain to prevail unless horribly outnumbered or out-gunned. In those cases the AI merely swamps the defending player with superior combat power. On the defense, these problems with the AI are much less apparent. -Airchair General PITF Review

There is nothing new in this statement. More than likely the AI core code line developed long ago has probalby NOT changed as myself and others have speculated time and time again.

So, if you want to get any reasonable behavior out of the AI, the factors that I mentioned above (in previous posts), need to be tweeked, or you need a game system like COI or CCMT.

If you start messing with the combat abilities of the soldiers and vehicles, then you just have Vetmods. And Vetmods are really ZOMBIE mods, and therefore not very interesting, IMHO.

In those cases the AI merely swamps the defending player with superior combat power. -Airchair General PITF Review

Perhaps the reviewer is referring to ZOMBIE mods. If not, then it is a tad bit overstated, IMHO, as I don't think the AI needs to "swamp" the HP with superior forces in order to win. If anyone wants more information on Single Player modes of play, see pages 3 and 4 of this forum topic.  Arrow  

NOOBS Need Not Apply

Stwa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:23 am Post subject: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Reply with quote

Makes me wonder if the review on Finnish website is real or fake. -dj

Me too.  Exclamation

I also saw some of the "fake" reviews. They looked real to me. I mean the reviews. It was the language that they used that looked fake to some of the uppers at Matrix.  Laughing

But then again, all the reveiws come from cyberspace, so I suppose they ALL could be fake.  Confused

WTF  Exclamation  Maybe this thread is fake.  Exclamation  Laughing

mooxe

Rep: 221.7
votes: 25

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:04 am Post subject: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Reply with quote

I wonder if the AI will load up troops into vehicles and tow AT guns around.

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

schrecken

Rep: 195
votes: 15

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:55 pm Post subject: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Reply with quote

It couldn't do that in CCm or CCMT

I don't think any time has been spent on the AI only on UI (wasted)

Anyone have a torrent of this yet?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

platoon_michael

Rep: 56.2
votes: 25

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:54 pm Post subject: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Reply with quote

schrecken wrote (View Post):

Normally schrecken I wouldn't give you the correct time of day.
And ignore your posts as if someone along the line of Flamethrower had just posted.

But............
Seeing how all of a sudden you seem to be changing tunes from where you stood on CC for many,many years to now where you appear to stand in regards to CC and to even go as far as a "Torrent!"
I have to wonder................

Whats going on here?

Draws a HUGE RED FLAG in my mind.

To be honest with you I'm just not buying it.
I just don't see anyone changing face that quickly.

Stwa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:00 am Post subject: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Reply with quote

mooxe wrote (View Post):

I have checked this with CCMT replay many times in the past, and I have never seen the AI use this feature or the dig in feature.

So since, the MT in CCMT means modern tactics, they (Matrix), neglected to tell you that the AI will not attempt modern tactics (at least mount/dismount) during the games.

It was a pet peeve for Therion years ago. Not just mount/dismount, but his percieved absense of all things modern in CCMT form this issue, to ammo, etc.. etc..

For modern maps, I cut them to 25x25 and for WWII I cut them down to a maximum of 20x20. So in my games mountable vechiles still just represent heavy weapon platforms that can move.

schrecken

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:24 am Post subject: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Reply with quote

platoon_michael wrote (View Post):

But............
Seeing how all of a sudden you seem to be changing tunes from where you stood on CC for many,many years

Do you play CCIV or WaR?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

southern_land

Rep: 155.2
votes: 14

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:32 am Post subject: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Reply with quote

mooxe wrote (View Post):

tried that last night, yup you may load a squad and tow an AT gun

Manoi

Rep: 89.5
votes: 7

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:41 pm Post subject: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Reply with quote

It couldn't do that in CCm or CCMT

I don't think any time has been spent on the AI only on UI (wasted)

I think you are wrong : the AI is not become an incredible opponent but there are changes in the AI units behaviour (more deployement in cover and buildings, coherent move even on the stratmap) so I think they have done more than changing the UI.
Just my opinion... Smile

schrecken

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:36 pm Post subject: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Reply with quote

Nice to hear.....

schrecken

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:37 pm Post subject: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Reply with quote

I wonder why the beta tester was disgruntled...

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=176&t=39288

schrecken

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:45 pm Post subject: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Reply with quote

Quote:
Maximum map size is 40 x 40 mega tiles, or 120 x 120 tiles, or 7680 pixels x 7680 pixels.

Maximum number of maps the game can handle is 64.

The Strategic map image can be (within reason) pretty much as big as you want. It's a single image in CCIMages.pix.

While the old features from previous versions are not specifically supported, most of them will work. Static troops will not work.

Static troops is broken with new release... not just simply turned off.

Manoi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:25 am Post subject: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Reply with quote

Quote:
Maximum map size is 40 x 40 mega tiles, or 120 x 120 tiles, or 7680 pixels x 7680 pixels.

Maximum number of maps the game can handle is 64.

The Strategic map image can be (within reason) pretty much as big as you want. It's a single image in CCIMages.pix.

While the old features from previous versions are not specifically supported, most of them will work. Static troops will not work.

Static troops is broken with new release... not just simply turned off.

yes a pity, I had some ideas for the next Stalingrad.

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:34 am Post subject: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Reply with quote

Best to wait a bit, just play with things for now. Might be able to discover some other mod/unused features that don't work.

At least the developer/matrix admit at this point, the feature not used within the current game, is broken so it might get fixed in a patch....

schrecken

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:07 am Post subject: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Reply with quote

Getting really annoyed having to scroll so much with the super zoomed in view now available.

Keep having to scroll just to target the enemy

Last edited by schrecken on Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:43 am; edited 1 time in total

schrecken

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:42 am Post subject: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Reply with quote

Really annoyed at the cookie cutter trees

Manoi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:54 pm Post subject: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Reply with quote

Really annoyed at the cookie cutter trees

As the vehicles are larger, I think that it is something the mapmaker had not predicted. The worse were the bridges but it has been improved in the release version of the game. If this game is modded, this is something that mapmakers will have to heed (to make all the passages by vehicles large enough!)

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat Panthers in the Fog
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jump to: