Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
davidssfx

Rep: 16.8
votes: 8

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:52 pm Post subject: turning off the fog Reply with quote

Until Matrix decides if, how, and when they are going to provide an option to remove fog graphics ... here is a method to remove fog graphics from your game:
Note:
This method of removing fog graphics will also allow Allied air spotting/support during the 0600 turn (when fog is an active weather condition).

Instructions:

1.Right click on the "Campaign.txt" file, located in the "BASE" folder ... found here:
C:\Matrix Games\Close Combat Panthers In The Fog\DATA\BASE

2.Select, open with Notepad

3.Look for this text:
# Historical weather for each day (0 = Clear, 1 = overcast, 2 = light overcast, 3 = storm, 4 = morning fog)

4.Change all the numbers listed below the text to zeros ... so it looks like this:

# Historical weather for each day (0 = Clear, 1 = overcast, 2 = light overcast, 3 = storm, 4 = morning fog)

5.Save the file to your Desktop (or somewhere), and then put your original file somewhere for backup, and put the new file into the BASE folder

Note: both players of a Multiplayer game need to have similar files ... either with or without this edit

Thanks to Steve McClaire for explaining the details fog

Or
Here is the file (Campaign.txt) already edited with the fog effects removed ... just unzip (extract) and then swap out the original with this attached file

File is located at:
C:\Matrix Games\Close Combat Panthers in the Fog\DATA\BASE

get it here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?oll0ep1mqus2d1h

Last edited by davidssfx on Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:26 pm; edited 2 times in total

mooxe

Rep: 221.1
votes: 25

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:25 pm Post subject: Re: get the fog out Reply with quote

Does this just made it clear days for the entire campaignÉ

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:37 pm Post subject: Re: get the fog out Reply with quote

Yes...

Stwa

Rep: 308.9
votes: 16

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:51 pm Post subject: Re: get the fog out Reply with quote

So, you would think that it would be an easy change to add a switch in the ini file like  Arrow

EnableFog = 0 [False] or 1 [True]

Then a new line of code that checks the switch before it displays the fog.

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:52 am Post subject: Re: get the fog out Reply with quote

Agreed Stwa! Though since there was a lot asking for the option I think they will allow it to be done on a screen somewhere (just my guess as I haven't heard or seen anything).

pvt_Grunt

Rep: 98.5
votes: 5

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:02 am Post subject: Re: get the fog out Reply with quote

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3241485

"Yes, the option to turn off the fog visual effect will be in the upcoming patch.  This should be available relatively soon after the holidays, but I do not have an exact date at this time. "

Stwa

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:54 pm Post subject: Re: get the fog out Reply with quote

Tejszd wrote (View Post):
Agreed Stwa! Though since there was a lot asking for the option I think they will allow it to be done on a screen somewhere (just my guess as I haven't heard or seen anything).

Off course, that would be better.  Shocked

But then, the form would have to be changed in CCResources.DLL. Just in the off chance they decide to publish a new edition in DANISH, or some other Viking speak.  Confused

Or instead they could just put the English text string for "foggy on/off" in the EXE file. They did this a lot with CCMT.  Shocked  Laughing

In addition, they might want to add a teeny fog symbol somewhere on the map when you play, to remind you that it is foggy.  Laughing

And if they haven't already created a teeny fog symbol, they will have to pay some arteest for it. Then they will have to put it in a gadgets file. Probably in Game Gadgets, but then they might want to index it with other related items in the gadgets file. So, instead of appending it to the end of the index, they will insert it into the middle, causing the other index values to be bumped by one.  Question

Now that some of the game gadgets have their index value changed, any code (in the exe file) that references game gadgets by index number will have to be modified.  Laughing

But instead of doing all that with the gadget index, maybe they will just put some specific code for the foggy gadget in the exe file again.  

But this would break Mafi's (presumably new) tool, which in the past relied on screen data to be stuffed into predictably sized arrays (in the exe) that contained index values for the gadgets.  Idea

And they have done that before too. Remember, when your screen patch data, somehow didn't include data for key gadgets that were present on the screen.

So, I am hoping the foggy gadget already exists. But I wouldn't know because I don't have the game.

But with our luck, they will just simply display FOG (in 20 point LASER GREEN font), in the upper right hand corner of the MAP DISPLAY.  Razz  

Because, if they don't put any symbol on the screen, most players will forget (when they are in the tactical game), which way they toggled the foggy switch. Unless of course, the foggy switch is present on the OPTIONS form (i.e. its in CCResources.DLL), and accessable from the tactical game.

Please remember that most CC players are OLD FARTS (with bad memories), like platoon_michael.  But then, I suppose guys like platoon_michael could do like Sarah Palin, and just write FOG onto the palm of their hand, using a beeg black permanent ink marker, so it won't wear off until they bathe.   Laughing

But that wouldn't really work either, because what happens when there is NO FOG. Then what? Shouldn't there be a NO FOG gadget too. This would presumably display when there is NO FOG, otherwise people will forget again, and have to use the OPTION form to recall which way the switch is toggled. That is provided the switch is on the OPTION form.

Otherwise, you will have to EXIT THE GAME, to check which way the FOGGY toggle is set.  Shocked

So, with all this in mind, I am brain storming here ... NOT really.

But maybe, they should just DISABLE THE FOG EFFECT and DO NOT ADD ANY SWITCHES or TOGGLES.  Question

Then, if you don't see Allied planes buzzing through your game in the first few days, then there is FOG. However, if YOU DO SEE Allied planes buzzing through your game, then there is NO FOG.

Then you don't have to do David's drill either, which when you think about it too long (as I have done), it is just a COMPLICATED TOGGLE switch, that really just toggles AIR STRIKES on or off.  Or it just toggles VISIBILITY on or off.

YOU KNOW, there will be posts in Tech Support, complaining that players could not vis the enemy tanks until their tanks got blown away. And the techies will reply  Arrow

Did you have FOG enabled?

To which the user will reply  Arrow

I dunno! [SLAPS FOREHEAD]

So now there will be 2 switches. One that disables the fog altogether and presumably the fog effect as well (Davids drill), and a second switch that disables ONLY the fog effect. David's switch you cannot vis from the Options form. Perhaps the foggy effect toggle you CAN vis from the Options form.

But you gotta KNOW, someone is going to FORGET how they toggled David's switch, in which case the Tech Support post will say ...

HEY, I HAVE FOG turned ON, but I don't see any fucking fog.

And the techies will reply  ...

Did you have FOG enabled?

To which the user will reply  ...

I told you it was enabled, you moron!

And the techies will reply  ...

NO NO, I meant the FOG, not the FOG EFFECT?

To which the user will reply ...

I dunno! [SLAPS FOREHEAD]

Because, after that happens a few times, there will be the inevitable forum topic ... PitF FOG Never Works Properly.

The first post will read  Arrow

Every time I start a campaign, I just can't figure out if the FOG is set correctly. My entire strategy for the campaign relies on FOG. This game SUCKS.

So, someone please tell me there is a NO FOG gadget that displays on the map when their is actually NO FOG.

Stwa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:11 am Post subject: Re: turning off the fog Reply with quote

Lookie  Exclamation

There are weather gadgets on the strat screens. Of course, CC5 had those at well. (I think  Laughing ) I can't remember because I recently gave my CC5 game away.

But, one of the NOOBS over at Matrix posted this pic, and it shows a CLEAR WEATHER gadget.

Which, makes me wonder if they bothered to make a FOGGY gadget.  Idea

So, if anyone has a pic of the FOGGY gadget, it would be nice to check it out, so please upload.

Even the weather gadgets on the strat screens would be helpful, except for the most forgetful wargamers.

But I still think the in-game fog looks great.

Me thinks I understand the blue arrows, but what do those red (elongated) balloons represent.  Question

mooxe

Rep: 221.1
votes: 25

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:03 am Post subject: Re: turning off the fog Reply with quote

I read the whole post.

Imagine if fog was on that list. I would die laughing. Well I almost am now...

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat Panthers in the Fog

Jump to: