Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
Hetser

Rep: 23.7

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:17 am Post subject: Marine Gazette article about CloseCombat by Major B.McBreen Reply with quote

“Close Combat” and Learning Infantry Tactics

I have learned more about small-unit infantry tactics from the “Close Combat” simulation than I
have from fourteen years of Marine Corps infantry experience.

“Close Combat” is a computer combat simulation published by Atomic Games. The focus of the
simulation is on infantry combat at the small-unit level. The series currently consists of five versions:
Close Combat I: Omaha Beach, II: A Bridge Too Far , III: The Russian Front, IV: Battle of the Bulge, and
V: Invasion Normandy.

I am an infantry major with fourteen years commissioned service, seven years with 5th Marines, three
years in schools, and three years as an infantry training officer with the Marine Corps Warfighting Lab. I
have deployed overseas with 2nd Battalion, 5th Marines four times. I have commanded two infantry
platoons and one rifle company. I have served as a battalion operations officer and regimental operations
officer. I am a student of tactics. I have taught NCOs and officers infantry tactics. I have participated and
led tactical decision training.

None of these activities or learning experiences can match the effective and focused tactical learning that
I have experienced through repetitive fighting of the small unit scenarios in “Close Combat.”

“Close Combat” permits a player to fight hundreds of scenarios, make thousands of tactical decisions,
experiment with different tactics, and learn from his mistakes. I would be a far more qualified platoon
commander now than I was twelve years ago. Through fighting the “Close Combat” simulation, I have
internalized significant platoon-level tactical lessons:

•   Long unsupported assaults are deadly . Assault for short distances, against a lightly armed or
         well-suppressed position.     A single enemy soldier can destroy a squad across 100 meters of open
         ground.

•   A long covered approach is always better than a short open route. Be careful of covered
         approaches that cannot be covered by an overwatching unit.

•   Every unit needs obscuration. Smoke save lives. Every assault and every withdrawal should use
         smoke.

•   Fire and maneuver is the key tactic. Use the majority of your force to overwhelmingly suppress
         the enemy, and a small assault unit to rapidly close on the objective.

(If you want more, and there are plenty of examples of basic tactics for the hard corps, let me know and I will try to post a link or the whole essay, space permitting. I would say that this throws a whole new validation- illumination on Close Combat.)

Hetser

Rep: 23.7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:19 pm Post subject: Re: Marine Gazette article about CloseCombat by Major B.McBr Reply with quote

Here is the URL to the Marine Gazette and the influence CC1,2,3,4,5 have had on training tactics.

http://www.2ndbn5thmar.com/dm/CCMWorkbookMcBreen2002.pdf

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess

Jump to: