Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1265
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
dgfred

Rep: 63.1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:18 pm Post subject: What books are you reading? Reply with quote

Right now I'm reading an excellent book called 'Five Years, Four Fronts' by
Georg Grossjohann-- he was an German infantryman who rose from the enlisted ranks
to regimental command in combat. Chronicles the combat experiences of Grossjohann and his men. So far, so good :Cool . What are y'all reading?

Sports Freak/ CC Commander/ Panzerblitz Commander

mooxe

Rep: 221.7
votes: 25

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:42 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished "6 Years Gone." Canadian book, forgot the author. I signed it from from the National Defence Headquarters library here in Ottawa. Its the 2nd best war library in Canada next to the Royal Military College in Kingston. The library here is a huge treasure trove of only war related books and magazines. It basically offers you and unlimited amount of reading. Anyways...

This book is purely 1st person accounts of what people did in the war years 1939'45. It covers all aspects, war at home, recruiting, training, trip overseas, hitting the beachs in France and Italy and basically everything else...

Not alot of accounts of actual fighting but it does give you a very very good insight to the way of life during those years. Very emotional book, such a good read. I looked forward to reading it every day. The best story was from a Hong Kong vet speaking to the author. He was saying about how no mail was allowed in or out, the familaies back home really didnt have any info on who lived or died in those regiments when the Japanese overwhelmed them in 1940. So he was going home after 5 years of NO CONTACT with anyone in his family. Its a very stirring account of his boat ride to San Fransisco, train ride up to British Columbia, meeting his wife that he couldnt even remember what she looked like, the cab ride to the hotel and then both of them having some whisky and passing out. And during all this he barely spoke a single word. Theres 2 stories from the Hong Kong vets... very emotional.

If you thought the 60's was the decade of free love you are very mistaken! I think the parents of those hippies had a better time in the 40's.

Many other good stories, reading it was like loving in the early 40's. Book was published in the 70's.... Hard to dig up now I'm sure.

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

RedScorpion

Rep: 11.7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:44 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

various books on CharlesXII of sweden and his wars in europe, his russian campaign reminds me of you know who's... underestimation, bad weather, biggest swedish military defeat (poltava) etc

Ceci tuera cela

Blackstump

Rep: 24.5
votes: 1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:33 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Fear Drive My Feet,,, the story of an 18 year old recruit sent to Papua New Guinea as a " Coast Watcher" to keep an eye on the japs, he was sent in with a first world war revolver with fifty rounds, no maps no compass, a box of razor blades and hatchets and also a box of trade tobaco and 100 pounds worth of New Guinea shilling's to pay for guides and carriers, he spent 3 years in the jungles and crossing and recrossing the owen stanley ranges { which climb to 13000 feet and the jungle runs up to the snowline} while being hunted by the japs and somtimes the local headhunters/cannibals, as his only pair of boots lasted him 3 months ,, he spent the rest of his time fighting barefoot, an amazing man an still alive today,, his name was Peter Ryan.

"percute et percute velociter"

poli

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:08 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Just started a reread of Look to windward by Ian m Banks.

"What is your major malfunction ?????"

dgfred

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:14 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackstump wrote:
Fear Drive My Feet,,, the story of an 18 year old recruit sent to Papua New Guinea as a " Coast Watcher" to keep an eye on the japs, he was sent in with a first world war revolver with fifty rounds, no maps no compass, a box of razor blades and hatchets and also a box of trade tobaco and 100 pounds worth of New Guinea shilling's to pay for guides and carriers, he spent 3 years in the jungles and crossing and recrossing the owen stanley ranges { which climb to 13000 feet and the jungle runs up to the snowline} while being hunted by the japs and somtimes the local headhunters/cannibals, as his only pair of boots lasted him 3 months ,, he spent the rest of his time fighting barefoot, an amazing man an still alive today,, his name was Peter Ryan.

I like the sound of that one :Cool . May have to look that one up. Smile

Krang

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:01 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I am reading Holding Juno: Canada's Heroic Defence Of The D-Day Beaches by Mark Zuehlke, a fine Canadian historian who specializes in World War II. This is his second book of a planned Normandy Trilogy. His first was Juno Beach. I've been rereading and reading in books on Normandy as I am playing GJS right now! Smile

dgfred

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:50 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently got Beevor's 'Stalingrad' and I am tearing into it :Cool . I also got

'The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors' by James D. Hornfischer, but haven't

really done anything but look at the pics and maps- looks good though.

LUFT_SOLDAT_BELLEW

Rep: 45.1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:57 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Im reading a lot of books at the moment nearly done with Band of Brothers, i also like to flip through the history of ww2 mag's there got lots of great pics and info.

Luft Can Fly To Victory!

mooxe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:02 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently reading, "My War Gone By, I Miss It So" by Anthony Loyd.

LUFT_SOLDAT_BELLEW

Rep: 45.1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:35 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

i was going to buy that one is it any good?

Luft Can Fly To Victory!

mooxe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:16 am Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1st 5 paragraphs were enough to get me hooked.

CSO_Linebacker

Rep: 5.9

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:29 pm Post subject: What book Reply with quote

Planning to pick up 'Beyond Band of Brothers'...unlike 'The Biggest Brother', this book is actually authorized by Richard Winters, and is the memoirs he wrote of his experiences not long after the war.

'If it does not have a gun, it cannot be fun'

Pzt_Wruff

Rep: 17.4

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:28 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

"Gluck Auf" (Lucky Up)

A co-worker of mine (Robert) has a neighbor who served in the Wehrmacht during WWII. Several years had passed before Robert knew of the history of the old man living accross the street, but after becomming aware of who he was and speaking with him several times the old soldats family asked Robert to interview and document the story of their father. Robert interviewed this fellow and wrote a book about him. His name is Erich Underwood.
From his upbringing, to the fight in France and the Russian front. His time in captivity, and finally to America.
The whole story is very interesting. A good read.

Here it is, published in its entirity online.
For those that aren't much interested in the culture and background and want to get straight to the war I suggest forwarding to chapter 6 when he arrives on the Russian front.

Enjoy!
Wruff

Gluck Auf:
http://webdev.loyola.edu/hunder/TheBook.htm

Erich Underwood

dgfred

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:32 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wruff :Cool , very interesting.

ronson

Rep: 36.7
votes: 5

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:15 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Blitz (The story of 29th December 1940) written by M.J. Gaskin

An excellent book telling of the great fire raid of that night through the eyes of many of the people who were there and the surviving records.

This was one of the worse night of the blitz on my city London, and if you, like me are a native of this city or if you spent time working here you will recognise the familiar roads (I've walked down most of them) and landmarks.

There are no villians or heros in this story, it tells how the people of London, from the office boy firewatchers to the head of the London Fire Brigade fought that night to save their city.

Once you have read this book you will understand the pride many of us have in our city, and niether condemn or condone the later destruction German cities.

GR member Ronson1  ac 4247033

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess

Jump to: