Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1241
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
Eraser_

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:17 am Post subject: The Grand Campaign Reply with quote

Hello guys,

I recently acquired a copy of The Russian Front for myself and liked it very much. However, despite I consider myself to be quite an experienced strategy gamer, this campaign (Russian side) seems to be just a bit hard for me.

At the first operation, my tiny forces are practically overwhelmed.
The German Panzers (light-armored, too!) easily stamp out my infantry, ignoring even the PTRD teams. If I requisit the AT-45 gun, though, it mostly does the job of panzer hunting BUT consumes *all* the req points, disabling me from getting even the simplest infantry troop!

Can anybody give me a hint on how to get through the first few battles?

mooxe

Rep: 221.7
votes: 25

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:54 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Its like most FPS games in single player mode. Keep playing the mission over and over. Thats how I did it, was satisfying when I completed it tho.

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

Eraser_

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:34 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Um... thanks, I suppose? Laughing
I was hoping, however, for something less obvious than the good ole "Practice makes perfect" line. Laughing
Like a list of starting troops to recruit, for instance.

ANZAC_Tack

Rep: 22.3
votes: 1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:04 am Post subject: the trick is Reply with quote

to save your points, always get killed, that way you get more points next map(on grand campaign, die first 2 days) on last map(the one with a bunker and hill) then buy that shiny 45mm and the DHkS12.7mm hmg, and a ATR, if put in bunker and blds, u will stop them in there tracks.

later on, save up for the kv2(152mm) train it well, and it will destroy hundrens on mk1/2/3 and maybe 4(f24) tanks, i had 2 on elite levels as majors to about 1943 untill 85mm armed tanks came along. just dont send them against guns, or multiple tanks, the turrent is slow, but it has 2 mmgs also. also the kv1 orb 39 is a real buster, trained well(u simple put it behind your front, and have it fire at the ground, use it for suppression out of harms way, and in 3 battles its ready to run down germans.

man i love the 12.7mm hmg, i opened up using non direct los(firing past target) and killed 6 germans in 1 burst out of 7(running) with a 5 rd burst. good gun killer also.

good luck, and buy close combat 5 invasion normandy, under 10 dollars(us or au) and try stalingrad. sorry asuming u havent been yet converted ;o) like i was 3 years ago, OMG 10 years of CC!

espree de corp

king_tiger_tank

Rep: 0.1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:33 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

use what you get. ambushing will work well and hit them from behind.they eventually fall. If you're constantly retreating wait until you get to a city, tanks are not good for city fighting. That's what i'd do. 4yr.s of CC

What would H Jones do?

T3amkilla

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:44 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what worked best for me at the beginning of the grand campaign:

Spend the first 2 maps just building up your forces and trying to weaken the enemy a little. It's damn near impossible to stop the Germans before they get to the city.

First off, buy at LEAST 2 anti tank infantry. They're cheap and take take out light cars and tanks. If you only have one, you're screwed if they get killed. Spend the rest of your points on regular infantry.

The trick is to hurt the enemy while keeping your guys alive. The best thing to do is find positions for your troops that are protected and have a good line of sight. If you have to stick them in the open, at least have somewhere to let them fall back to.
Pace the anti-tank in buildings and let the enemy tanks come to you. You should be able to destroy or at least damage some of their armor. Once you start losing men, flee from the battle.

Once you get to the city, you should have enough points for some light anti tank guns. Position them on the tops of hills or in buildings with a clear line of sight to the enemy. This way you can destroy the tanks without having to worry about the guns getting killed. Once the tanks are gone, use the AT guns for supression fire.

You can position your infantry a little more agressively, but let the enemy come to you. A good thing to do is to let 2 groups of infantry cover 1 sweeping area. This way one group can give supression fire while the other group hits the enemy from the side.

The key on this map is to try to funnel the enemy through one point. Place some machine guns in the pillbox up on the hill. From there, you can provide supression fire and keep the enemy from flanking you.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat 3: The Russian Front

Jump to: