Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1245
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
Mikaell

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 3:38 am Post subject: P47 vs German armour Reply with quote

Does anybody know if the rockets carried by the P47 Thunderbolt are capable of destroying Panzer IV's and Panthers?

Piper_1

Rep: 19.5

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 3:49 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Those same rockets will kill a King or Hunting Tiger too !It's a shame that Whittman is not around to tell you how good they are.

pibzedog

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 3:33 pm Post subject: yep they can... but since they hardly hit their target Reply with quote

yes the can destroy anything. here in France, there's a magazine (le fanatique de l'aviation = the air enthusiast) that sums up this issue. They deal with Thyphoons over Normandy and specialy in Mortain.
A) The rocket itself consists of 7,67 kg of explosives.
B) how to proceed ? against target protected with AA guns : dive from 8000 ft in a 60 degree angle and fire the load at 4000 ft. agains soft target : dive from 3500 ft in a 25 degree angle & unload Embarassed
C)the trouble is to reach the target : with positive or negative G + speed + wind = lack accuracy. They state a report that say that according to the 2nd Tactical AF, you had a 2% chance/opportuny to reach a tank with your 8 rockets.
D) Nevertheless, the typhoon/P47/P38 attacks had a terrible impact on the tank crews. In the magazine, they say the German crews were panicked during these attacks, although more when the lacked experience, which was often the case in 1944 & 1945. In Normandy, there were more tanks destroyed thanks to AT rockets fired from the ground than from 3 inches rockets fired from planes...
To sum it up : the rockets hardly ever reach their targets but they frightened the crews. AT rockets fired from the ground (bazooka/PIAT) had a better score Rolling Eyes

ANZAC_Lord4war

Rep: 3.5

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 2:47 am Post subject: mmm Reply with quote

i also seen lower closer attacks on film.
also fighter planes fitted with 20mm cannons
use to fire at the road in front and under the tanks (also from behind)
as they has success in getting the 20mm to richochet up thru the floors.

Forget words,actions will show your true ambitions!The Battlefield,In many cases, the terrain of a battlefield can be the best resource a commander has. A clump of trees, an abandoned house, or a drainage ditch can all be powerful tools in the right hands

W_Model

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 12:53 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

What I can understand is that the Typhoon and the Thunderbolt didn't carry the same rocket armament.
The Typhoon carried the british RP (rocket projectile) 3-inch rocket, which was designed to be used as anti-aircraft barrage in the 1940's. It was then adapted to be launched from aircrafts like the Hurricane, Typhoon and Mosquito.
The P47 used the M-8 rocketlauncher. It was a 3-tube, 4,5-inches "bazooka" system with poor accuracy.
In mid 1944 the HVAR (High Velocity Air Rocket) was introduced to the american air force. The rocket was more powerful and much more accurate than the M-8 or RP systems.

God4Saken

Rep: 0.7

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 1:29 pm Post subject: Re: mmm Reply with quote

ANZAC_Lord4war wrote:
i also seen lower closer attacks on film.
also fighter planes fitted with 20mm cannons
use to fire at the road in front and under the tanks (also from behind)
as they has success in getting the 20mm to richochet up thru the floors.

I would have thought that the floor of any such tank would have been heavily armoured to prevent damage from running over AT and AP mines, and most likely be impervious to 20mm cannon fire. My understanding was that the pilot fired his cannon as an aiming device for his rockets. He'd set up his attack dive, fire his 20mm or 12.7mm main guns to bracket the target in his attack run, then observed the fall of shot to correct the aim. When the bullets were hitting the tank, that was his cue to fire his rockets. The rockets were very effective because of their trajectory, in that they'd generally strike the tank from above (Or damage the treads from the side). Tank armour is always weaker at the top, where the threat-assessment is seen to be the least and naturally strongest at the front, then the sides. To take advantage of this, the US army developed the SADARM smart AT weapon (Seek And Destroy ARMour 155mm artillery shell) which was used in the 2003 invasion of Iraq.

W_Model

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 8:49 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

another nice munition is the M93 Hornet. It's an AT mine that uses sound to identify targets. When the sound of an enemy tank is identified the Hornet jumps 100 m up in the air, there a IR-sensor acquire the heat-signature of the tank. Small propellant charges aligns the munition with the target and fires a EFP (Explosively Formed Penetrator), aka "slug", thus penetrating the top of the tank and disableing it.
That's a nasty mine if your in a tank...

Mikaell

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 12:19 am Post subject: Helpfull replies Reply with quote

Thank you all for you replies. Now, I'm off tank hunting!

ANZAC_Lord4war

Rep: 3.5

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 3:07 pm Post subject: mmm Reply with quote

my grandad was in british intelligence and in normandy from DDay.
i asked him about what claimed the most tanks,by way of air attack
his answer shocked me too.
but as he explained to me
the fighter bombers only had so many rockets or small bombs,both not the most accurate weapons in the world,esp ww2.
so after they ditch there rockets/bombs they still have a couple thousand clips tucked in the wings,where he could make a few passes all with more accurate fire.
and no german planes to fire them at.
so they use to attack from rear preferably as a chance of hitting fuel/engine,also most rear of tanks exposed slightly higher,or the front of tank,a smaller chance.
here r some floor thicknesses for some popular german tanks.

pulled from achtung panzer.
tiger ausf.E 25mm
tiger (P) 20mm
jagdpanzer iv 20mm
panther sdkfz171 16mm
panzer iv 10mm
panzer iii 10mm

once i saw their thicknesses i knew it could be done.
as u can see in the tigers they made an improvement in design.
and the tigers problem was weight,so they would not of added it unnecessarily.just increase fuel consumption,slower speed of tank,cost more money,use more resources.
mine warfare was more a problem for the allies,as they were attacking.

Forget words,actions will show your true ambitions!The Battlefield,In many cases, the terrain of a battlefield can be the best resource a commander has. A clump of trees, an abandoned house, or a drainage ditch can all be powerful tools in the right hands

schrecken

Rep: 195
votes: 15

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:32 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Straight from a pilots mouth

http://www.orvuus.com/schrecken/video/tb1.avi
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat 4: Battle Of The Bulge

Jump to: