Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1270
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
Pzt_Crackwise

Rep: 64.9
votes: 1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:29 pm Post subject: The tube rocket used in saving private ryan?? Reply with quote

Recently i watched the movie SPR again and still couldn't understand the weapon they use on the day of landing to blast bunkers. I mean here the weapon which Tom Hanks' soldiers make by adding tubes together and then putting a rocket (or some other projectile i don't have an idea) and blasting the positions in front of them. Does anyone know the name of the weapon and in what kind of situations it is used??

Slap_Jack

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:10 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while since I've watched SPR, but I remember Hanks shouting for "Bangalores!". I think this is the weapon you're after...

http://www.sproe.com/b/bangalore.html

Looks like it's the smart mans way of clearing out barbed wire and other obstacles. One heck of a step up from the older method, described here under the heading of Overcoming barbed wire obstacles

http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-weapons/barbed-wire.htm

pvt_Grunt

Rep: 99.7
votes: 5

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:54 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good sites Slap Jack, thanks. I've seen the diggers site before but not that page. The 10th picture down "Barbed wire entanglements along a beach in Melbourne" looks like the beach near my house in Hampton! I've also seen aerial photos of Melbourne with trenches dug for defense against the Japanese, but not barbed wire.

This part is interesting,
Quote:
Contrary to what we usually see in motion pictures, the Bangalore Torpedo was not at it's best if thrust under the base of the coiled barbed wire - in this event half the force is absorbed by the ground - but rather it should be threaded through the centre of the coiled barbed wire. In this way all the explosive force is concentrated on the whole mass of the barbed wire barrier. The wooden (or inert) head (nose) of the torpedo was pointed to facilitate its threading through the coils of barbed wire.

Another mistake in SPR..though it's still a great movie.

ANZAC_Tack

Rep: 22.3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:14 am Post subject: bangalores Reply with quote

think those things still used to the 70's, remember seeing a maunal in sapper training for engineers in the late 80's. man the aussie army liked to keep some shit! in the late 80's we had virtually surpluss from post vietnam, same rifles, webing,packs,radios,uniforms,even my corprell,warrant officer! Kanungra was still set up like a scean from 'the odd angry shot' movie from vietnam! all 14*14 tents on hard standing...mud every 10 paces and hills from hell!
back to bangalores, dam fine idea, think first designed for ww1(again we had wire cutters with 1916 date stamp! still better then current issue 'stanley' pliers used now for cuttin wire!,fucked if id want to handle new razor wire though,enough puncture marks in me from old wire!)

what was i talking about? keep reminissing on blah blah man i loved blowing shit up...i blew up a old baily bridge, SO glad not to have to pull it apart, heavy bitches!

espree de corp

ANZAC_Lord4war

Rep: 3.5

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:00 am Post subject: mmm Reply with quote

chit man hasnt been that long since steyrs have been in.
then i think about it 15 plus years,fuck im getting old.
was it 1988/89?

Forget words,actions will show your true ambitions!The Battlefield,In many cases, the terrain of a battlefield can be the best resource a commander has. A clump of trees, an abandoned house, or a drainage ditch can all be powerful tools in the right hands

ANZAC_Tack

Rep: 22.3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:34 pm Post subject: yes ur old 2! Reply with quote

SLR and greens day, enlist 20feb88' in choco's.
first issue, green webbing, nam pack,2 sets of greens, bib and brace overalls, and from armoury F1's, L1A1 slrs, L2A2 ARs, M60s. thats it for ginger beers.

i used a few things, fired me a 88 carl gustov, used bee hive shaped charge,plastic explosives,booby traps,carried M60 for 3 years(my true 1 love) then retrained on styres(original drill remember, no barrels shit) fuck them gats r dangerous shit(both ends, stupid ass trigger,safety and no auto after 3 mags!!, used old 9mm brownin, and glock compact(raaf),then a styre carbine, old AR15a1's,neally used a m4a4(7.62mm bren with AR magazine straight) just missed out on gimpy(fn fal mag58, yanks call em m204 i think)raaf still used L1A2 ARs and m16/m203 a decade after army, cause styres didnt take m203 for a decade remember? kiwis used em fine(firsttime they showed us anything?) got me hands on a F1 a few times(man they was good at 50M pop up range instinctive shootin) what else...my own 10 or so rifles(SKS,2*.303le enfields,243 marouku leaver,AAA(slr but m16 parts,aussie ar180 workings) and its army trial version, SAR(carry handle, poorer reliability).22 sterling,12# marouku italian pistol grip pump action,.308 ruger S/S synthetic, a para ord .45 (all dan brown custom, ambi safety, S/S fittings,3 spare 16 rd mags pistol, and me misses had a .38 model 10 s&w...almost all gone post 97' massecure...still dream bout me AAA 5.56mm 1/9 twist, won a few golds at 200 and 300m at range with er...sob,wimper...

espree de corp

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess

Jump to: