Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1231
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
pvt_Grunt

Rep: 99.7
votes: 5

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:41 am Post subject: AAR Wintergerwitter campaign Reply with quote

Version 1.1, vet mod installed

Started with 3 BG's at the souther end of the cauldron. The 11/6 Pz is the strongest unit, in Krugliavov with a heavy force of Pz IV Ausf F2 tanks. Unfortunately the Russians have numerous ZP 52 heavy AA guns available which can take out a Pz IV with 1 shot! There are 2 bridges, but 1 is impassable to armour so the battle is on the centre bridge. After 2 battles and 3 tanks lost Embarassed I have taken both bridges and made a beachhead.

Krugliakov1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  111.53 KB
 Viewed:  9254 Time(s)

Krugliakov1.jpg

pvt_Grunt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:52 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Aksai is the next battle, the 128/23 Pz Artillery Reg battle the Russian 126 Strzlekl. There are lots of sIG SP guns available which have awesome HE rounds, but slow reload and little armour. Once again the invisible SP 52 AA guns are a menace, so I hide all the guns and advance infantry into the froward buildings hoping to see the enemy guns. My pioneres and grenadiers are heavily armed, the Russian infantry often surenders, the only opposition is the infernal AA guns Sad I attack staright through the centre over the small hill and take lots of ground.

About the hills - they are too small. The graphic shows a hill, but the elevation reads 2 metres high! The tanks can shoot over the hills! The should be at least 5-10 metres high. I think the txt and los files need work.

Aksai.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  115.96 KB
 Viewed:  9255 Time(s)

Aksai.jpg

pvt_Grunt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:02 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Third battle - Abgenerovo. My 6 Romanian attacks the 15 Strezekl Guards. I'm not impressed with the Romanian troops, the Flamers are good but you need to be point blank range to use them Crying or Very sad The Puscasi veterans are strong, but theres still acts of cowardice. The Russian Pogranichniki troops are agressive, even when attacked - who are these guys? I capture the west half of the map, but lots of buildings to clear out skows my advance

My LT 35 had a good position and stopped the Russian advance Smile

LT 35-1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  116.4 KB
 Viewed:  9260 Time(s)

LT 35-1.jpg

Abgenerovo1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  121.44 KB
 Viewed:  9260 Time(s)

Abgenerovo1.jpg

pzjager

Rep: 12.3
votes: 1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:41 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all;

Waoh! Wintergewitter is not easy! Historically, Axis lost the operation! You have to win against the history!!

Anyway. I just would like to tell you, if I can (I want!) help you:

1) you have around 10 days to crash the soviets until you can reach the southern limits of the Kessel!! Take your time. Eliminate one by one the red army AT guns without too many losses. Don't waste your long-barelled PIV's (or even Tigers if you play the what-if mod) by sending them in front of the strong Russian AA guns (just as strong as these Flak36 you love so well when they are yours!).
2) The Romanian division in Abganerovo is weak but, as told Pvt_Grunt, you are just here to try to keep a front when the german PzD 6 and 17 (23 is coming!) are the main attack force. Don't hope here to pierce the front (I even don't know to tell you what historiccally happend here!).
3) The worse is coming (SOOORRRRYYYYYY!!!!!!!!). If you succeed to pierce the Red Army fromt (you should be able to do that soon), your main forces will meet the Guards 2nd armored army just in the north: it will be a nightmare... if you have wasted your best tanks prior to this battle.
If you succeed.... Well: the mercy of the 6yh army is very close!

Anyway, i like to see your posts!! it is a.....compliment for me (No use to use silly cheats to make the game difficult: historically, it is!)

Cheers
Look for your comments
Panzerjäger

P.S.: Pvt_Grunt: The river is not impassible! You have 2 bridges and, if you find the way, you can progress easily to the northern edge (only,BUT BIG, problem: the CC AIis so silly that he will always tell you that there is no way when there is an OBVIOUS way: look at the map!

pzjager

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:42 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

pvt_Grunt wrote:
Third battle - Abgenerovo. My 6 Romanian attacks the 15 Strezekl Guards. I'm not impressed with the Romanian troops, the Flamers are good but you need to be point blank range to use them Crying or Very sad The Puscasi veterans are strong, but theres still acts of cowardice. The Russian Pogranichniki troops are agressive, even when attacked - who are these guys? I capture the west half of the map, but lots of buildings to clear out skows my advance

My LT 35 had a good position and stopped the Russian advance Smile

Congratulations!
It is not so easy!

Cheers
PJ

pzjager

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:46 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

pvt_Grunt wrote:
About the hills - they are too small. The graphic shows a hill, but the elevation reads 2 metres high! The tanks can shoot over the hills! The should be at least 5-10 metres high. I think the txt and los files need work.

Sorry! You are here in the Kalmouk steppe! The elevation is actual! I can do high hills like in switzerland, but....

Cheers
PJ

pvt_Grunt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:43 am Post subject: Reply with quote

pzjager wrote:

"Don't waste your long-barelled PIV's (or even Tigers if you play the what-if mod) by sending them in front of the strong Russian AA guns (just as strong as these Flak36 you love so well when they are yours!)."

Good advice, I lost 2 Mark IV early on, but now I have the Rocket Halftrack to take out the guns first, very effective.

pzjager wrote:

"P.S.: Pvt_Grunt: The river is not impassible! You have 2 bridges and, if you find the way, you can progress easily to the northern edge (only,BUT BIG, problem: the CC AIis so silly that he will always tell you that there is no way when there is an OBVIOUS way: look at the map!"

Too easy, see pic!

Bridge.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  246.35 KB
 Viewed:  9179 Time(s)

Bridge.jpg

pvt_Grunt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:54 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Battle results at end of day 1

Russian casualties are enormous, The Feuhrer assures me the Communists simply cannot take this punishment Wink

Our Tank losses are high, but once again out leader tells me that our Nazi war machine will deliver an endless supply to crush the communists!

(ps - I guess Hitler didnt know about force pools .adb Rolling Eyes )

Day 1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  119.13 KB
 Viewed:  9179 Time(s)

Day 1.jpg

jagd_jar1

Rep: 0.1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:12 am Post subject: as germ Vet Reply with quote

I am a bit confused as to how to keep my supply routes open as axis.
it seems I would hit a dead end in verkhne-tsaristinski even though I am ordered to go there with romanians.
Do blocked maps routes = no supply from those maps???!!??

pzjager

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:08 am Post subject: Re: as germ Vet Reply with quote

jagd_jar1 wrote:
I am a bit confused as to how to keep my supply routes open as axis.
it seems I would hit a dead end in verkhne-tsaristinski even though I am ordered to go there with romanians.
Do blocked maps routes = no supply from those maps???!!??

Hi,

Why a dead end in Verkne-Tsritsinski???? You can easily go from there to Businovka (both ways), and then from Businovka to Marinovka, Rakotino etc... for the victory.

However, there is a problem with the Tinguta btd. Romanians could not go to Tundutova.

I fixed that. Just put the file in your maps folder.

Cheers
PJ

tinguta.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  tinguta.zip
 Filesize:  1.57 KB
 Downloaded:  381 Time(s)

ANZAC_Lord4war

Rep: 3.5

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:46 am Post subject: mmm Reply with quote

should save it for ur next update pzjager
u going to have every1 with diff btds
just sent der kessel 1.1 out to anzacs by post

Forget words,actions will show your true ambitions!The Battlefield,In many cases, the terrain of a battlefield can be the best resource a commander has. A clump of trees, an abandoned house, or a drainage ditch can all be powerful tools in the right hands

pvt_Grunt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:12 am Post subject: Reply with quote

DAY 1 seems to be taking a long time, usually 2 battles /day

Any way, the 11/6 Pz has cleared Krugliakov easily, and I'v given up on the Romanians attacking. They do however perform very well in defense. Doing the old "Ambush at the back of the building" trick I lay in wait for the Russian horde, my mouse hovering over the off board motar button Very Happy

My Bofors took out the Valentine tank early on while my infantry gun had a great crossfire position. Add in the mortar for effect! PIC 1

Great result, low Grunt casualties, massive AI sprite carnage Very Happy PIC 2

The Grenadieri's are OK this is after 1 battle - PIC 3

pvt_Grunt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:29 am Post subject: Reply with quote

DAY 2, the 15th

My Panzers have cut a swath through the enemy overnight entering Donsk-Tsarisk. A meeting engagement with a Russian rifle BG was a slaughter! I entered the map from Gromslavski, the enemy entered from Kalatch, so we ended up in 2 small zones next to each other. I have 5 Panzer IV's in the BG so the Russians didnt have a chance. I would rather use the Pz BG against the T-34's but I havent contacted them yet.

This battle reminded me of those awfull CC4 battles in Esch-sur-Sure map with it's terrible VL locations. Looking at the strat map, the main exit VL's to the map are too close together for this campaign, the exit VL to Gromoslavski needs to be on the south edge of the map. Maybe in Ver 1.3?

A victory, but not much challenge........

pzjager

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:58 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

pvt_Grunt wrote:
DAY 2, the 15th

My Panzers have cut a swath through the enemy overnight entering Donsk-Tsarisk. A meeting engagement with a Russian rifle BG was a slaughter! I entered the map from Gromslavski, the enemy entered from Kalatch, so we ended up in 2 small zones next to each other. I have 5 Panzer IV's in the BG so the Russians didnt have a chance. I would rather use the Pz BG against the T-34's but I havent contacted them yet.

This battle reminded me of those awfull CC4 battles in Esch-sur-Sure map with it's terrible VL locations. Looking at the strat map, the main exit VL's to the map are too close together for this campaign, the exit VL to Gromoslavski needs to be on the south edge of the map. Maybe in Ver 1.3?

A victory, but not much challenge........

That's a good point!
I have changed the position of the VL a bit more in the south (to the rail, indeed).
This will be included in the V1.2 (not 1.3: don' go too fast!) version.

Thanks for your wonderful pics!
Don't forget anyway to play the GC! (why not in German Vetmod?)
Cheers

PJ

pvt_Grunt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:11 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news, my 11/6 Pz BG has reached Kalatch mostly intact and will now concentrate on the Russian supply bases.

Bad news, my Arty BG has run into the 21/2 Heavy Tank Bgde and it's KV-1 and KV-2 tanks! My first battle was an attack Crying or Very sad I took out 1 KV-1 with a Pak-40 and immobilised a KV-2 with a leFh-18 gun. The rest of the battle was running Aukfluer troops across the open ground to capture some territory for the next battle. Heavy casualties.

The Romanians in Abgenerova have finally worn down the Russians enough to attack. 3 divisional guns kept the attack blunted, but a Grupa Comanda managed to capture the centre VL after assaulting a div gun.

This splits the Rusians and leaves me in a good position for next battle.

pvt_Grunt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:26 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Last turn of the 15th

The 11/6 Pz has easily won its battle but has been cut off from supply! Currently OUT OF AMMO Crying or Very sad but there is another Pz BG coming next turn from the south so I'm not worried.

Vassilieska is going much better than expected! I had a MUCH better starting area, my Pak 40s were ready so I made a very aggressive setup. From the start I had 4 Grenadier near a KV-1 and a Pak40 with a side on shot from off screen - result = 1 dead KV Laughing

Off board mortar accounts for another KV-1!

With the big Russian tanks gone, my Command Panzer III moves into the village....

And pays the price for my impatience!

Still, a good result, 2 more Heavy Russian tanks destroyed and some houses cleared.

BTW, dont ever try to hide a tank in one of the gulley's - you'll get sick of hearing "Cant reach target" when it cant get out! Nice coding there MR Pzjager Mad Mad Razz

pzjager

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:49 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Waow, your pics are very nice!

When I look at them, I realise that you play (very well!) very agressively! Everything for the attack!

It's nice. I would like to play with you H2H. It should be terrific!

Anyway, just hope that your 6 PzD did not went to fast...

The 17 PzD might be able to help you.

Cheers
PJ

pvt_Grunt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:12 am Post subject: Reply with quote

pzjager wrote:
When I look at them, I realise that you play (very well!) very agressively! Everything for the attack!

When you have a bad setup position, you cant play safely. The sooner your troops get to cover the better, even with casualties.

pzjager wrote:
It's nice. I would like to play with you H2H. It should be terrific!

Yes, but you know the maps too well! Let me do some more learning Wink

pzjager wrote:
Anyway, just hope that your 6 PzD did not went to fast...

The 17 PzD might be able to help you.

I looked ahead in the calender and saw the Tank BG coming, so they WILL be rescued. The tank BG's are meant to push ahead, that's Blitzkrieg!

pzjager wrote:
Don't forget anyway to play the GC! (why not in German Vetmod?)

Too many battles! I find a smaller campaign keeps my interest better. I played CC4 GC all the way, it takes me months!

I must say this mod has really sparked my CC interest again, more than any other mod since VetBoB for CC4. I dont usually go for East Front games too much, Berlin, Stalingrad, Karelia, even CC3 I played but more for the experience, after a couple of battles it's done for me. Not to put down those mods, I just enjoy the West Front games more. - Vet BoB, Omaha, GJS, CC3 West Front are all more fun for me Smile

I'm not too much of a Grog, if a mistake is made on a rifle and it has 8 bullets instead of 6 I probably wont notice. If a tank has 3 crew instead of 4 , well.... I dont care too much. What's more important is the FUN FACTOR. I feel you've hit a good balance. Some mods are too dry, some are too "arcady".

The elements and maps in Der Kessel have a lot to do with this, there is very little open ground, there always is cover for infantry. Tanks dont rule the battlefield, lots of rubble slows them down (the faster tanks in 1.1 are still slow). I'm playing the Vet submod so the AI teams are stronger, but not like in VetBob where you where always overpowered in the first few days!

Also I'm playing German, who are attacking in this campaign. It's very important to play the attacking team in a AI battle, in CC5 the computer defends MUCH better than it attacks.

Anyway, my Christmas break is over, back to work tomorrow Crying or Very sad so I wont get as many battles in. I'll still update thes AAR as it comes, hopefully I can play it to the end.

Cheers again PJ :ok2

Grunt

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> CC5 Stalingrad Der Kessel

Jump to: