Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1266
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Author
JohnDee

Rep: -0.1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:01 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Uberdave

looking at your statistic i assume you played with always see enemy on for the japanese ? this would explain your relative high armor losses.. i tried this when playing Kessel but i just cant stand what it does to gamepay so i dont use this rule anymore .. here are the settings i used btw;

as for the GC enddate;

gmt -8, your evenings are my mornings (gmt +0) not ideal but doable, especially on the weekends, is your gsname Uberdave ?

Uberdave

Rep: 26.9

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:07 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, that makes sense.

Yes, I had 'always see enemy on'...thus the higher casualties.

My first GJS campaign was against an English guy at (GMT 0). IIRC, we played at diff times (4pm me/12pm him, as well as mornings; 10pm me/6 am him).

Weekends Im always open. I cant remember which sig I use on GS, but Ill be there between 2-4pm PST (10-12pm GMT). Would that workm or earlier/later?

JohnDee

Rep: -0.1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:28 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

couldn't make it today but i'll try my best to be online tommorrow from gmt 10pm onwards..

remember my gs name is BlackSn so sing out in case you see me in the lobby.
looking forward to facing you on the battlefield.. :Cool

PS: the gc i showed you pics from, i reloaded it and didnt make the last campaign winning move, instead switched some bats around and waited another turn before i attacked their last territory..

a decision wich rendered the situation the following

japanese reinforcements arrived, one fresh one disbanded bat.
it took me another 3 battles to win the gc, and guess what? the AI even kicked my butt in one battle !!

hard to believe but true and damn what a shame..

i really cant remember the AI ever walking over me like that, and at first i wasnt quiet sure whether im happy or pissed about the result, but i quickly settled for the latter since those bastards took out one of my beloved arty observers.

anyway..good mod, really enjoyed it :ok2

Dima

Rep: 87.3
votes: 16

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:51 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Uberdave,

have dlded KG and played it for some time.

Congrats on it! Graphics and sounds r cool!

I've read that u wanted to do KG as historical as possible so some feedback is below.
Soviets:
1. Mortars.
By 20.08.39 only 4 units from the whole 1st AG had mortars.
They were:
36th MRB - 16 mortars.
57th RD - 8 mortars.
82nd RD - 28 mortars.
1st RR - 6 mortars.

Iam pretty sure that they were mostly 82mm as Rifle Grenades were used in role of 50mm.
Only during WW had soviet command realized how mortars could be effective.

2. Rifle Grenades.
By 20.08.39.
36 MRB - 54.
57 RD - 86.
1 RR - 85.

That's all folks Smile. Other didn't have.

3. 76mm AA guns (didn't notice any in sov BGs).

36 MRB - 4.
57 RD - 4.
85 AAR - 43.
150 AAD - 12.
63 AAD - 12.
66 AAD - 12.

4. AAMG (4x)

36 MRB - 24.
57 RD - 21.
82 RD -21.
7 MAB - 3 (none currently).
9 MAB - 3 (none currently).

5. 12.7mm MGs. (they were called DK not DShK that time).

36 MRB - 12(only one spotted in KG).
57 RD - 7.

6. Tanx.

No BT-2 were available in those actions.
No BT-7M were available in those actions as they haven't yet entered production that time.
BA-3 had 45mm obr.34 not 37mm B3, IIRC BA-27 was the last to have 37mm.
OT-26, OT-130 should be called HT-26 and HT-130 (or ChT as first H stands for Chemical).
Why no SU-12 is available now Sad?

Well, if u'll find this information usefull and r interested in more, i can post more.

cheers,

Uberdave

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:21 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dima!

Ill respond to the rest later, but I can say that my research of the SU-12 revealed that the Soviets only used it in the June-July battles, NOT the August offensive covered by the mod.

This is according to several guys over at 'battlefield.ru'.

Thanks!!!!

Dima

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:33 am Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not correct.

At least South Group (57 RD, 8 MARB, 6 TB(-), 8 CD(MNRA),etc) under command of colonel Patapov had 1 division of SU-12 on 20.08.1939.

Uberdave

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:50 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked again...

Potapov's unit of SU-12's did not see front-line combat action.

They were an SP artillery unit which provided indirect support to forward units. They are represented by a 76mm FO.

Wink

For this reason, I didnt include them in the BGs.

Last edited by Uberdave on Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:17 am; edited 1 time in total

Uberdave

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:09 am Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Dima
re: mortars...

There are probably more mortars available in the game than in the historical battle. This is because I wanted to portray the strength of the Soviet artillery, but didnt want to overpower the FOs or make the barrages too deadly.

76mm AA guns (didn't notice any in sov BGs).

That was a decision I made based upon unit availability. I didnt see the need to include 76mm AA guns when a BG already had 37mm, 45mm, 76mm IGs and arty FOs. I chose to include a variety of infantry units instead of hvy AA guns. Besides, they were of minimal strategic value, given the lack of Jap tanks.

If you check the data, I included 76mm AA guns...they just aren't in the BGs.

4. AAMG (4x)

GAZ-AAA ZP was the standard mobile AA weapon of the Red Army in the 1930's.

5. 12.7mm MGs. (they were called DK not DShK that time).

Japanese accounts recall several DShK being captured or destroyed during the August fighting.

6. Tanx.
No BT-2 were available in those actions.

I read accounts of the Japanese describing a BT-5/7 hull mounting a 37mm gun. I assumed that they meant the BT-2, but maybe Im wrong.

No BT-7M were available in those actions as they haven't yet entered production that time.

I thought the same thing, until I read about the USSR sending 'new' tanks from the factory with diesel engines instead of gasoline. This was because the gasoline versions (BT-5,BT-7) easily caught fire when attacked with petrol bottles (kaenbin) by the Japanese. The new tank with the diesel engine was called the BT-7M.

BA-3 had 45mm obr.34 not 37mm B3, IIRC BA-27 was the last to have 37mm.

IIRC, the BA-3 had the 37mm gun...and few were made. I've found no evidence that the BA-3 had a 45mm gun. If you know of a source, please show me!

OT-26, OT-130 should be called HT-26 and HT-130 (or ChT as first H stands for Chemical).

Simply a naming convention. Other Russians told me that 'OT' was accurate.

Smile

Thanks for the feedback Dima!!!

Dima

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:03 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Quote:
Potapov's unit of SU-12's did not see front-line combat action.

yes that makes sence, as report from 11TB tells that SU-12 r incapable to support tanx in the battlefield, but r usefull from indirect role.

Quote:
There are probably more mortars available in the game than in the historical battle. This is because I wanted to portray the strength of the Soviet artillery, but didnt want to overpower the FOs or make the barrages too deadly.

but u gave them alot of 50mm and v few 82mm. I think it will be more historical to get rid of 50mm and give more 82mm.
Btw i can be mistaken here but reading reports from 1 AG i have vision that japs had v powerfull arty and some types were v mobile. Plus taking the fact into account they they planned August attack w/o tanx, it would be issential for them to have strong arty.

Quote:
That was a decision I made based upon unit availability. I didnt see the need to include 76mm AA guns when a BG already had 37mm, 45mm, 76mm IGs and arty FOs. I chose to include a variety of infantry units instead of hvy AA guns.

yeah thought about it.
just wanted to c 3-K in mod!!! Smile
u know it was v influencing gun...

Quote:
Besides, they were of minimal strategic value, given the lack of Jap tanks.

i don't believe 3-K had AP shells in the ammo-load Smile.

Quote:
GAZ-AAA ZP was the standard mobile AA weapon of the Red Army in the 1930's

yes just gave u numbers reported by 1AG on 20.08.39.

Quote:
Japanese accounts recall several DShK being captured or destroyed during the August fighting.

No DShK was available that time, as it used diferent bullet, and the production of the bullet went v slow.
So only DK.
Btw DK stands for Degtjarov Krupnokoliberniy (Degtjarov High Caliber) and DShK stands for Degtjarov-Shpitalniy Krupnocaliberniy.

Quote:
I read accounts of the Japanese describing a BT-5/7 hull mounting a 37mm gun. I assumed that they meant the BT-2, but maybe Im wrong.

i guess not u but japs were wrong. As it appears that no BT-2 was sent to Far East at all.
Even if it was some kind of field conversion, it'd be a supply mess as where would they take enough B-3 shells?
Actually it makes more sence that japs converted some captured BT/T installing their own 37mm gun that had better penetration that sov 45mm.

Quote:
I thought the same thing, until I read about the USSR sending 'new' tanks from the factory with diesel engines instead of gasoline.

No soviet diesel engine was available for mass production in Aug. 1939.
1AG received ~160 brand new BT-7 tanx in July-August as reinforcement for the worn out BT-5 tanx.

Quote:
I've found no evidence that the BA-3 had a 45mm gun. If you know of a source, please show me!

just check yer fav site Smile.
http://www.battlefield.ru/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=22&Itemid=50

If u want to use B3, add BA-27 to MPRA, USSR supplied 10 of them.

Quote:
Simply a naming convention. Other Russians told me that 'OT' was accurate.

OT is post war name.
Until mid 1940 they were called HT (ChT), then TO.

Nice touch not giving PP27 AP shells Smile.

Btw u didn't add divisional arty guns to the BGs, did u?

cheers,

Uberdave

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:52 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Dima

re: 50mm mortars...
I'll double check my research for why I included so many of them. If not, I may just add more 82mm's.

Japanese did have some heavy arty units present, but they were centrally located, and lacked the range and accuracy to strike Soviet targets consistently. Some Jap BGs have powerful FOs because of this.

re: DK
I look into that...are you referring to the 'DS.39' machine gun? Ive never heard of the 'DK'. Do you have a link?

re: BT-2
Ill check the sources on that as well. BT-2 were produced in 1933 with four different variations of weapons, and did take part in the WW.

I havent read of any Japanese captured vehicles mounting Jap weapons. The only captured vehicles they had were a few BA-6/10 and fewer BT-5s. Not that the Jap engineers couldn't make such changes, but leaving the original weaponry on the vehicles was convenient.

re: BA-3
Thanks for the link. Other sources I have claim that early versions mounted the 37mm gun. The BA-27 is in the data, and I even have an ugly tank graphic for it in the game. IIRC, I just used the BA-3 in place of the BA-27. But I think you're right. It would be more accurate to swap in the BA-27.

re: HT-26/HT-130
Will change those...

re: Div arty guns...
For the Soviet side, I wanted their massive artillery to be represented by FOs and mortars. In the August offensive, I didnt read of any Soviet div guns being used in a direct-fire role. However, the Japs routinely used their 75/150mm guns in a direct-fire role, mainly out of desperation!!!

I've never been a fan of mods that use lots of heavy arty pieces in battles. IMO, it just isn't very realistic. Thats why I think the use of FOs is appropriate. Its the best way to simulate off-board artillery. You can add lots of firepower and potential to a battle, but without clunky guns populating the battlefield.

Dima, I really appreciate the feedback! Its the best I've gotten so far. I wish I would've included you on the team before I uploaded it!

Dave

rufus

Rep: 50.4
votes: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:27 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

hi
i dont know if you know this site but it might be of some use to you....http://rkkaww2.armchairgeneral.com/battles/khalkhin_gol39.htm

Uberdave

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:46 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that was a site I used when making the mod. Thanks!!!

Dima

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:28 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
re: DK
I look into that...are you referring to the 'DS.39' machine gun? Ive never heard of the 'DK'. Do you have a link?

try to search in the net.

anyway DK was designed by Degtjarov in 1930, accepted to service in either 1931 or 1932.
It used same working principles as DP-27, used B-30 bullet.
It was fed with 30rnds boxes and had ROF of 360rpm.
B-32 bullet was designed in 1932 but was not in mass production till 1939.

In 1938 DK was upgraded by Shpagin (the creator of PPSh Smile) and DShK has appeared. The main things in upgrade (for CC) were:
1.feeding system - DShK could be fed from belts as well as boxes.
2.ROF was increased to 600rpm.
DShK was accepted to service in 1938 and production started in early 1939, B-32 was accepted as the main bullet for it.

But the production of DShK (as well as DK actually) was v slow as it has one 'lil' problem....it costed pretty same as 1.5 45mm 19K Wink. That's why there were too few of them.

1AG reported only DKs.

Quote:
I've never been a fan of mods that use lots of heavy arty pieces in battles. IMO, it just isn't very realistic. Thats why I think the use of FOs is appropriate.

ye fully agree on that.
imo the best way is to ignore the high caliber arty pieces for both sides (even in means of FOs) and leave only 'ARTY','NAVAL' offoboard strikes for the side that had stronger arty support.

i've noticed that my ACs get stuck too often...is it a feuture or i installed it wrong?

will continue with Japs and MPRA later..

regards

Uberdave

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:17 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

ACs...
How are they getting 'stuck'?

Remember, they can be immobilized and damaged by MG fire.

Dima

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:26 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

well they r getting tracked... like tanx when passing hedges in Norm mods.

Quote:
Remember, they can be immobilized and damaged by MG fire.

that's ahistorical actually Wink.

According to the reports:
only jap 13mm HMG could pen. BA-3 and BA-6.
BA-10 couldn't be pen. by 13mm HMG even at short range.

All of them used 'gusmatic' tires that's why even jap 37mm AP shells made accurate holes in them w/o immoblizing the AC.

If u want i can post some quotes from 1AG AARs.

regards

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Jump to: