Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1246
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
AmbushR

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:58 am Post subject: Good features from SP:WaW Reply with quote

I also play a game called “Steel Panthers: World at War”. (http://www.steelpanthersonline.com/)

If you don’t know it, I quote from the site. (The game is free)
“SP:WaW is a hex based, top down view, alternating turn ("I go, you go" or IGOUGO) game design. SP:WaW also includes a timed play feature, giving each player a specific amount of time to conduct his turn before it ends and his opponent's turn begins. Armor, gun and vehicle units are represented by individual icons. Each infantry squad can have up to 25 men in it. Machine guns, mortars and artillery units are also realistically portrayed and crewed. Each hex represents 50 yards (meters) of the virtual battlefield, with many new terrain features added. Each game turn represents a few minutes of real time, and games can last from a few turns to entire campaigns.”

So you can see that the scale is probably a bit larger than CC, with a lot more units, but apart from that it is not dissimilar.

Anyhow, some of the features I really enjoy in the game play of SP:WaW are as follows:
• Mechanized artillery units. You can tow your AT guns. (Current CC maps may be a bit small for this, but maybe in CC 6 they will be bigger.) This adds an interesting dynamic as you have to decide whether you leave it where you’ve deployed it, or move it somewhere else, considering that the AT gun is completely defenseless while hooking up, traveling and unhooking at the destination. Also the towing vehicle is generally soft-skinned, so you need to park it in a good spot, or your AT gun will not be mobile for long.
• You can transport your infantry. Units available are APC’s, trucks and on some of the larger tanks. Again, this allows you to quickly change the weight of attack or defense in any sector, as long as you have some cover to do it. Of course the infantry is defenseless while loading up, traveling and unloading and if your APC or truck is hit while transporting you will probably lose some of them, and the survivors will take a while to be in fighting form again.
• Smoke. I’ve always believed the smoke in CC to be underplayed. Particularly the mortar smoke. In SP:WaW smoke is more effective in removing line of sight. The final infantry charges are often very chaotic with units that are very close to each other in the smoke not aware of each other.
• The AI. Need I say more…

CSO_Talorgan

Rep: 72.5
votes: 1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:11 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the orbat I like in Steel Panthers. It's like an encyclopoedia of 20th century weaponry. I'd like to see that in CC VI.

NON

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:43 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice idea!

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess

Jump to: