Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1224
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
DarkKnight

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:12 am Post subject: Editing the WEAPONS & VEHICLES only Reply with quote

I just "rediscovered" my CC2 game and have been enjoying both the original and the Afrika mod, but my long-time complaint and frustration with it's gameplay was that the accuracy (and thus ability to kill) for all weapons was absolutely terrible. I can have a unit almost on top of an enemy one and neither can ever ever ever be able to hit maybe more than 1 guy. Honestly, how does a Vickers MG miss 6 Nazis running not 50 feet from them on open ground when you're giving them the order to mow 'em down??? I HATE it! Mad I find myself lusting for flamethrower half-tracks or assault guns just so I know I have a shot at finishing off some enemy troops, esp ones in farm fields.

Sooo... I've been going all over this site and the internet and can't find anything on how to edit the data in the 'weapons' and 'vehicles' files under 'base' (lots of map editing stuff but I'm not interested). The closest I got was the Q-Clone, but it won't let me save my edited CC2 data, it only converts it to the other games I guess.
What do I do??? Crying or Very sad

If anyone can help me out that'd be great. Try and talk me thru it as if I didn't know too much about it all, since I'm really not one for modding much.
Oh and once I have something to edit it with, what are the columns I should concentrate on? I was just going to focus on 'base accuracy AP'.

Thanks a lot. Smile

...I'm running WinXP if that makes a difference.

sample

Rep: 59.6
votes: 4

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:19 am Post subject: Re: Editing the WEAPONS & VEHICLES only Reply with quote

you could use any text based editor, there is no need to use qclone; if you have problems or need assistance you could send me a pm

regards

www.mihaisurdea.com

squadleader_id

Rep: 53.2
votes: 7

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:04 am Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to use QClone to edit CC2 data...you said you can't save the edited files? Strange...

Nembo

Rep: 36.7

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:40 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

QClone wont let me save CC2 files either. So you can instead use, Excel or Quibbel (Check the downloads).

-Nembo

DarkKnight

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:38 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I went back into text-based programs again. The reason I got so confused to begin with was I used excel and notepad but they didn't work - they insisted on saving the file in a text format that the game couldn't read. However, I hadn't tried wordpad, which seems to be working right now, except it's not as easy to decipher the columns.

If I'm using excel, I get prompted with the following:
"weapons may contain features that are not compatible with Text (Tab delimited). Do you want to keep the workbook in this format?"

I've selected both yes and no, but either way it creates a text file in the 'base' folder and the game won't read it.
I'm not familiar with this, so it's probably me.

And, no, QClone doesn't seem to save info for CC2 just CC3-5. Oh well.

I'll go back to Wordpad for now, if anyone has a recommendation on what to do with Excel, let me know.

Thanks again, and happy hunting to you all.

DarkKnight

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:57 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

....OK I think I figured out Excel all by myself Razz

I say 'yes' to the above option (which made sense to me) but then I say 'no' when it asks me if I want the file saved. The data is then saved in the current file instead of a new one. *shrug* Rolling Eyes

So that brings me to hopefully my last question: whats the best way in your opinions, to make a weapon more effective?

I'm going to 'base accuracy AP' and editing just that (since I'm only interested in increasing anti-personnel effectiveness, anti-tank stuff is fine). The data is on a 1-511 bell curve according to QClone, so that means to me that accuracy is either peak or nonexistant at roughly 255: the top of the curve.
I've played with the numbers on an MG42 versus crawling riflemen and there wasn't a huge difference between them, but data of '5' seemed the best. Data of '511', '400' (default I believe), and '255' seemed roughly the same.

What have you all done or what do you think should be done so that I know which columns to work with and the parameters within them?

Thanks a bunch Smile

Nembo

Rep: 36.7

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:05 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you figured the Excel out. If be accident they come out as a .txt text file next time just remove the .txt ending.

For the Operation Just Cause mod I made couple of nasty sniper rifles most especially the SVD. I think the big thing was the kill rating, but I'll double check.

-Nembo

DarkKnight

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:49 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I figured it out last night.

What i did was I just decided to appropriately scale-up the base accuracy ratings (since it seemed to be more of a one-direction scale to 511, instead of a bell curve). Here's a scale I made to base my guesses off of:

Base Accuracy AP Scale = 0-511

Accuracy:
Poor = 100
Below Avg = 200
Standard = 300
Above Average = 400
Deadly = 500

I also had a revelation and thought that perhaps the terrain was too protective regardless of accuracy, so I went to 'elements' and scaled down the cover ratings for all the various terrain elements roughly 30% but sometimes by alot if I thought the cover provided was absurd (sorry, flat dirt does not provide cover). I think it worked Razz
I didn't test with extreme values, so maybe it's all in my head, but I think by combining those two things, you can make it a bit more of a deadly and challenging contest out there on the CC2 battlefield.

FYI - The "kill rating" seems to only be armor penetration, measured in mm's of armor penetrable. I tested it too, and I made a MG42 as effective as a Tiger, hahahaha.

Thanks to you all for your help.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat 2: A Bridge Too Far

Jump to: