Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1245
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
Pzt_Kanov

Rep: 14.2
votes: 9

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:32 pm Post subject: Suggestion to Modders about Soldiers equipment. Reply with quote

I just want to let know the modders that please use the type '2' or 'crew' soldier when dealing with heavy equipment within a squad, this to designate the soldier that is carrying it. This include all the weapons that are 'crewed' like for example in the stalingrad mod: light Machine guns, Flamethrowers and AT rifles.

Doing this will avoid the annoying situation where the leader of the squad carrying a crewed weapon, gets said weapon.

Just a minor thing I know, but a step thowards immersion me thinks.

Thanks.

dreaded88

Rep: 5.5
votes: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:48 pm Post subject: Re: Suggestion to Modders about Soldiers equipment. Reply with quote

Kanovskiy wrote:
Doing this will avoid the annoying situation where the leader of the squad carrying a crewed weapon, gets said weapon.

Why wouldn't you want the leader to get the crewed weapon? In both the German and US armies (probably others too), in a MG team the gunner is the highest ranking member of the team and is also the leader. The gunner should be type "leader" or "asst leader" and the rest of the team "crew", no? Or is there a downside to this in gameplay?

mooxe

Rep: 221.7
votes: 25

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:08 pm Post subject: Re: Suggestion to Modders about Soldiers equipment. Reply with quote

dreaded88 wrote:
Kanovskiy wrote:

Why wouldn't you want the leader to get the crewed weapon? In both the German and US armies (probably others too), in a MG team the gunner is the highest ranking member of the team and is also the leader. The gunner should be type "leader" or "asst leader" and the rest of the team "crew", no? Or is there a downside to this in gameplay?

I dont think you are correct Dreaded88. I can definetly speak for current times, but cannot speak accurately for WW2 era. Usually the section support weapons were assigned to anyone but the leader or 2 IC.

What happens in CC is that your leader lags behind his own team if he has the MG. This singles him out and makes him very vulnerable. For example... 7 man team running acros open terrain. Leader, with mg, lags behind, the other 6 section members get on position and you tell them to go into ambush. the leader who is way behind and fatigued starts crawling into position, taking forever for him to reach the position and is leftr in the open while the section is preparing for action.

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

dreaded88

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:26 pm Post subject: Re: Suggestion to Modders about Soldiers equipment. Reply with quote

mooxe wrote:
I dont think you are correct Dreaded88. I can definetly speak for current times, but cannot speak accurately for WW2 era. Usually the section support weapons were assigned to anyone but the leader or 2 IC.

What happens in CC is that your leader lags behind his own team if he has the MG. This singles him out and makes him very vulnerable. For example... 7 man team running acros open terrain. Leader, with mg, lags behind, the other 6 section members get on position and you tell them to go into ambush. the leader who is way behind and fatigued starts crawling into position, taking forever for him to reach the position and is leftr in the open while the section is preparing for action.

I'm thinking more in terms of the 2-3 man MG team rather than the full squad. According to Buchner: The German Infantry Handbook, 1939-1945 a squad would consist of a leader (Gruppenfuhrer), Gunner1 (second in command) on the MG, a dedicated assistant gunner, and the rest of the squad as riflemen and ammo bearers.

US Army is a little different, a platoon would have 2 3-man MG teams in a separate weapons squad, which would of course be deployed as needed. The squad is headed by a NCO but in each team the gunner is the highest ranking, usually a PFC or Spec4. At least that's how it was 20 years ago in the 82nd Airborne.

Maybe the key is having a seperate AG/ammo bearer in soldiers.txt with higher weight, so they lag behind equally Smile

dreaded88

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:10 pm Post subject: Re: Suggestion to Modders about Soldiers equipment. Reply with quote

dreaded88 wrote:
According to Buchner: The German Infantry Handbook, 1939-1945 a squad would consist of a leader (Gruppenfuhrer), Gunner1 (second in command) on the MG, a dedicated assistant gunner, and the rest of the squad as riflemen and ammo bearers.

Ok I should know better than to quote from memory. It appears the second in command would be one of the riflemen. The book said something along the lines of "The remaining 6 men of the squad, including the deputy squad leader (Gruppenfuhrer)..."

I read that seeing Gruppenfuhrer and missing "deputy", since it's an odd way to state it since it earlier states the Gruppenfuhrer is the squad leader. So it seems to be an incomplete translation. Gunner 1 was simply the "sharpest-shooter" and there is no mention of rank. Just wanted to set that straight.

So the question is how to translate this into CC. If the 2 or 3 man MG team is given no leader, it may not function as well and might need to be kept near a command team. Which could then leave the rifle section short on leadership during assaults. A good compromise for a German squad might be a 1-man leader team (type 4=commander), 2 man MG team (gunner type 3=asst leader), and 3-4 man rifle team (leader type 1=leader). This leaves some tactical flexibility for defense/assault situations too.

ANZAC_Lord4war

Rep: 3.5

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:00 am Post subject: mmm Reply with quote

Dreaded88 said
Quote:
Maybe the key is having a seperate AG/ammo bearer in soldiers.txt with higher weight, so they lag behind equally Smile

Long been in use in old Reg Xtra and DDay Utah Sector.

Forget words,actions will show your true ambitions!The Battlefield,In many cases, the terrain of a battlefield can be the best resource a commander has. A clump of trees, an abandoned house, or a drainage ditch can all be powerful tools in the right hands

Senior_Drill

Rep: 9.7
votes: 2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:02 am Post subject: Re: Suggestion to Modders about Soldiers equipment. Reply with quote

[quote="dreaded88.... A good compromise for a German squad might be a 1-man leader team (type 4=commander), 2 man MG team (gunner type 3=asst leader), and 3-4 man rifle team (leader type 1=leader). This leaves some tactical flexibility for defense/assault situations too.[/quote]

This would screw the rank structure up. You will have a MG team of a Hauptmann and a Obergefreiter.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre.

dreaded88

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:24 pm Post subject: Re: Suggestion to Modders about Soldiers equipment. Reply with quote

Senior_Drill wrote:
This would screw the rank structure up. You will have a MG team of a Hauptmann and a Obergefreiter.

I'm already using this structure, the MG team starts off as a Gefreiter and Soldat. Because of the kills MG's rack up, after the first op they are usually Obergefreiter and Obersoldat. I think that's ok, the thing I can't decide is if they should both start out as Soldat.

So, setting soldier type to "3" gets you a Gefreiter and "1" gets you an Obergefreiter. For type "4", it depends on the team value. Unless the 1-man Gruppenfuhrer is the only command team, it will probably be an Unterfeldwebel to start.

dreaded88

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:34 pm Post subject: Re: mmm Reply with quote

ANZAC_Lord4war wrote:

Long been in use in old Reg Xtra and DDay Utah Sector.

Nice detail. It's in Grossdeutschland now too.

Pzt_Kanov

Rep: 14.2
votes: 9

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:41 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

What Mooxe said.

I was refering more to the infantry squads with heavy weapons than Mg teams.

Like BAR and Sturmpioniere groups on reg CC5, whose leaders get the heavy weapon 90% of the time wich is annoying. My guess is that the BAR and the flamethrower where made 'crewed' because that way when the soldier that is carrying it gets killed, another member of the squad can pick it up, but if you don't specify a designated gunner for a heavy weapon within the squad, the leader gets the weapon by default, again not always but like 90% of the time.

//EDIT: Just to point out that GJS adresses this little bug very well(the gunner gets the Bren/leMG42 and not the leader) but they forgot to fix the german pioniere groups, the ones with the flamethrower.

I think it would be more realistic to make those weapons a primary weapon, at least the flamethrower. Think about it, you are in a firefight and the flame guy gets killed, would you get over him, take off the arness and stuff, and then wear it yourserlf while still beign fired upon and not knowing exactly how it works? OR would you fire back with your current weapon or better yet, get the hell out of there?

but no, with the current flamer status, as soon as the flame guy gets killed another one picks it up instantly.

just a thought

dreaded88

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:03 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok that makes sense. I ended up having to make my MG teams without a leader anyhow, because even if you assign it to the leader, the crewed weapon goes to the first man set to type crew! This seems to only happen within the game, not in the selection screens. Since the loaded down AG was also getting the MG, he really would lag behind!

pzjager

Rep: 12.3

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:51 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Kanovskiy wrote:
What Mooxe said.

I was refering more to the infantry squads with heavy weapons than Mg teams.

Like BAR and Sturmpioniere groups on reg CC5, whose leaders get the heavy weapon 90% of the time wich is annoying. My guess is that the BAR and the flamethrower where made 'crewed' because that way when the soldier that is carrying it gets killed, another member of the squad can pick it up, but if you don't specify a designated gunner for a heavy weapon within the squad, the leader gets the weapon by default, again not always but like 90% of the time.

//EDIT: Just to point out that GJS adresses this little bug very well(the gunner gets the Bren/leMG42 and not the leader) but they forgot to fix the german pioniere groups, the ones with the flamethrower.

I think it would be more realistic to make those weapons a primary weapon, at least the flamethrower. Think about it, you are in a firefight and the flame guy gets killed, would you get over him, take off the arness and stuff, and then wear it yourserlf while still beign fired upon and not knowing exactly how it works? OR would you fire back with your current weapon or better yet, get the hell out of there?

but no, with the current flamer status, as soon as the flame guy gets killed another one picks it up instantly.

just a thought

Hi,

After reading all this, ...

Definitively agree with Kanovskiy

PJ

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Modding Workshop

Jump to: