Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1247
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
Buck_Compton

Rep: 64.6
votes: 9

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:03 am Post subject: German Radar Positions Reply with quote

Hey Guys i need your help i have a problem finding info on german radar postion called Monika.

it has contains several types of radar:

FuMO 214
FuMO 2

I cant find anything on the internet. only some vague picture's does any one of you guys have something that might help me out. Fe what kind of bunker or building was build under FuMO 2. Also im looking for info on how these positions where defended against ground assaults...

Cheers Buck

If you are short of everything but enemy, you are in the combat zone.

Pzt_Mac

Rep: 3.4

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:22 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if these help, but perhaps it's a start.

Free downloads about radars, mostly German.
http://www.radarworld.org/books.html

Okay, it's German naval radar, but still radar, and there are some pics.
http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WRGER_04.htm

Perhaps you can piece together what they might have looked like from these. (this one is probably the best site to start with.)
http://www.noding.com/la8ak/k58.htm

GL!

rufus

Rep: 50.4
votes: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:27 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,this site might help,it has got some plans of the kind of bunkers under the radars.

http://www.gyges.dk/index.htm

Buck_Compton

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:45 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replys they where usefull concerning the radar structions Smile now i need to know how they are defended etc Wink

Cheers Buck

Pzt_Mac

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:17 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Buck,

Do you mean who was defending, or how they were defended?

I'm assuming you are talking about structures, not garrisoning units, (btw, guard units at these radar facilities tended to be Luft personnel prominantly, along with some Kriegsmarines too).

You've peaked my interest, so now I'm reading up on this subject Smile

For one, it seems that "the German's used radar on most most fortress", which included the radars you have listed. The FuMo214 (a large unit) used to control heavy FlaK, and the FuMO2 which was a mobile unit.

In response to fortress, and thusly radar defense, I found this interesting:

"All units were trained to do their own close defence, and were equipped with light & heavy machine guns, many of these were "beutewaffen" from the Norwegian Army, such as Madsen light MG and Colt heavy MG. Germans also used a big amount of mortars, personnel & AT-mines and other AT-weapons. Some coastal fortresses had remote controlled flame-throwers, but these could only be used in 40 seconds before the fuel was empty. French built tanks were also in use, mostly Somua’s.

For instance, the Battery at Trondenes was equipped with: 5 machine guns (norwegian), 1 Field Gun (7,62 cm russian), 1 AT gun (7,5 cm german), 1 mortar 81 m.m, 4 mobile flame-throwers, 6 x 20 m.m. FLAKs, 3 x 37 m.m. FLAKs, 3 x 8,8 cm FLAKs, 4 floodlights, 3 x 60 cm, 1 x 150 cm.

Barbed wire was usually used. Some fortresses had bunkers for the guns, others not."

There are a lot of current pictures out there of destroyed German Radar positions, and some accounts, but you're right, they are few and far between.

Buck_Compton

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:46 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mac,

Thats some very intresting info you got there. But my feeling says my radar post callsigned monika was only lightly defended in addition to the info i was able to give i have a photograph taken for the post.

Text explenation:
Radarpost Monika south of Westkapelle. On the right is the Würzburg Riese (Fu.M.O 214(Seetakt.)). On the left is the Calais (F.u.M.O. 2). The equipment of F.u.M.O. 2 is protected with a wall, only the radar antenna sits above the wall. This was in order to protect the equipment against debris and shrapnell. This post deliverd valuable information of the english minesweeping activity's off the coast from walcheren.

Some notes from me.
- the structure around the F.u.M.O. 2 seems to be partly round... i cant see if its build in a u shape or an o shape...
- in the lower rightcorner is an opening into the dunes... my guess is that this must be a small gun position bu i'm clueless on what it really is.. any suggestions?

Cheers Buck

Pzt_Mac

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:49 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool pic, Buck.

I've been looking through my own books and articles as well, but can't seem to find anything on this installation, or more it's defenses.

But just looking at this picture you have, and comparing it to others I've seen of radar instillations, I think you can infer a couple of things.

In almost every radar installation of this type I have seen FlaK 88's protecting them. And in fact, the FuMO214 was used with these guns for AA defense, so you know they were around. You could also assume then that there would be some AA MG instillations as well.

The other "Mobile Radar" could infer all kinds of things about what vehicles might have been around, what structures they had to protect them, etc.

Judging from your picture here, I would actually argue this installation could have been heavily protected.

That opening in the dunes, if you compare it to the steel drum next to it, would suggest that that opening was probably 5 feet high or so - plenty of room to have some Big guns in there. Also, it looks like the opening faces the ocean, so they might have had some sort of naval defense going on as well.

Who knows what's up top, you could certainly be right about the round or horse shoe design of the base.

If you look to the lower left, about the scrap, you can see what looks like another little bunker opening, possibly an MG placement. This would suggest to me that there were probably several bunkers placed about to protect this instillation.

Anyway, I would say you could probably use your artistic freedom and knowledge of other instillations to come up with a pretty accurate depiction Smile

Cheers,
Mac

mooxe

Rep: 221.7
votes: 25

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:33 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Google image search brings this link to a FUMO 214.

http://www.milhist.dk/pictures/radar/radar1.html

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

mooxe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:43 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was working in Ottawa, we had the 2nd largest wartime book
collection in Canada at our library. There was a field manual, in German,
with instructions on how to build all types of defesive positions. Paks,
mortars, fire trenches, all the info and dimensions layed out with nice
b/w diagrams. It was quite interesting. I wonder if I can sign it out again
somehow, I'm not in Ottawa anymore.

Googled this one below. I suppose we could assume that most radar
installations were bombed and strafed frequently. So for your maps
they should probably be quite damaged?

mooxe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:01 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.. I just called the Library. They said they had to remove all foreign language material.

Pzt_Mac

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:48 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man MOOXE, that would be an awesome book to browse through! Too bad it's no longer there. Do you remember the name of it?

Yes, I would also agree that those sites would have been considered high priority for the RAF and allied bombers. Radar sites are usually one of the first to get hit.

So you could also assume that they typically would have been heavily reinforced structurally, and possibly with the garrisoning units and material as well?

The German's typically built radar stations on every fortress, which suggests their criteria for where they built radars must have needed heavy fortifications. I don't typically see German radars hidden in the forest, they all seem well out in the open with a lot of reinforced concrete.

Buck_Compton

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:03 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Pzt_Mac and Mooxe

Thanks for your investigations Smile I have also been busy with some checking around for info... i emailed Hans Houterman again in the hope for some info (he is someone who has written a lot of books about the atlantikwall and the scheldt) I also had a look at the aerial i have from this area. the only thing i can see is some trenches and a vague outline of the radar installations. Concerning heavy at or field guns. I coudn't find any info on maps with major bunker complexes.... i will continue to investigate in to the building that can be seen at the foot of the dunes... (sorry for my english i'm tired) if i find something new i will post it and i'll upload the picture from radar post monika in a few moments Wink

Cheers Buck

Buck_Compton

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:45 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the picture's:

Hope that this can help you guys a bit. The photo's clearly show some weird buildings around the radar post. And a trench in front of the radar post...

Cheers Buck

Buck_Compton

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:27 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I had some luck. I ran in to a page withe some picture's from the town of Domburg and its surrounding bunker complexes during ww2. Also i found a picture from stutzpunkt monika. On the photo you can clearly see that the construction around the FuMO2 is a square shaped building. it starts to seem that this picture and the other one are taken from an inland view. Wich starts to make me wonder what the opening in the other picture's should lead to... maybe an entrance to something else? or a storage room or a shelter?? can't figure that there should have been a gun position.

Cheers Buck

Ivan_Zaitzev

Rep: 56.1
votes: 3

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:15 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

mooxe wrote:
Hmm.. I just called the Library. They said they had to remove all foreign language material.

Didnt you asked where the book is now?

The real Close Combat starts when you are out of ammo.
Have you hugged your AT Gun today?
My Youtube Channel
http://closecombat2.blogspot.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

mooxe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:46 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I did. The books get sent back to some massive collection point and then are redistributed to libraries, high schools, universities etc etc. I do not know the name of the book so I cannot carry on my search any longer.

Pzt_Mac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:48 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome pics, Buck.

I've been starring at them trying to decipher the gray from the black Wink.

If you can figure out what that opening is in the dunes then you will probably have your answer as far as what fortifications it had. Again, just from my untrained eye and what I've read about radar instillations, I would bet you it had some pretty hearty defenses and buried bunkers. But you never know.

Cheers,
Mac

Buck_Compton

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:27 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey mac/mooxe

I e-mailed the Bunker preservation foundation. If there is anyone able to answer my questions within the netherlands it should be them Wink so i'll have to keep my fingers crossed until the moment they email me Smile

CHeers Buck

Pzt_Mac

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:42 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Buck. Let us know what you find out.

-Mac

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Mods by Buck and Pete -> CC5 Battle of the Scheldt

Jump to: