Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1246
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
fruitbar

Rep: 53.2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:31 am Post subject: is close combat cross of iron the same as cc3 russian front? Reply with quote

is close combat cross of iron the same as cc3 the russian front? or even better? or it is the same thing except they jacked up the germans or the russians like 'making it more historic or realistic' by for example the panther PzVG Mark V is now not that great anymore?? or T-34 is now superpowered??

robert_pl

Rep: 0.3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:35 am Post subject: Reply with quote

No!
Cross of Iron is worst game than original CC3.
For example in COI smoke doesnt work.

schrecken

Rep: 195
votes: 15

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:45 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Cross of Iron is an improved and upgraded release of CC3.

It benefits from an improved AI and compatibility with windows Xp and more modern computer systems.

It has a new Campaign and new maps along with improvements to data accuracy.

It now comes with a host of add-ons to improve your on-line head to head experience including a massive multiplayer campaign as well as improved handling of MODS with a new utility called ModSwap.

All in all a greart improvement over CC3 (Until now my favourite installment of CC)

Also a swag of MODS have been made compatible to the new exe so you can fight WWI, Western Front, Poland, Vietnam etc.

The latest released mods have also been made to work with Cross of Iron not CC3.

Currently running around the on-line haunts BHQ and Gamespy it is much easier to pick up a game of Cross of Iron than CC3... 7 people in the CoI BHQ lobby today zero in the CC3 lobby at Gamespy.

As a long time CC3 player (since 1999) I find Cross of Iron not just more fun but also more of a challenge.[/b]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

ANZAC_Tack

Rep: 22.3
votes: 1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:21 am Post subject: smoke dosent work? Reply with quote

I ised smoke many times, similar result as original...bugga all! u need to use 8cm morter and the tank/infantry pop smoke at same time, THEN u may for a few seconds hide a unit/tank...briefly. this is time to bug out,charge...

espree de corp

StasiuX

Rep: 0.1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:21 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Cross of Iron is not better than The Russian Front.

Maps of additional grand campaign have poor quality. They look like somebody used copy/paste option. They are far from the quality of stock CC3 maps.

Coding of new maps is half-baked. Often we have got clean LOS in places where it shouldn`t be.

The main instruction is poor comparing to CC3 The Russian Front. And what`s more, it is junked with Matrix Games commercials. The other smaller instructions are also little silly.

The whole game is based on free Real Red Mod for CC3 The Russian Front.

Vehicles graphics are worse than original CC3. Many free mods have better vehicles graphics. It also has to do with shadows (for example Pz IV D has wrong shadows size because it is bigger than the tank).

Miniatures of Battlemaker maps are amateurish stretched.

The whole "new" program ModSwap is a copy of free Confing Manager for CC series. There are allegedly some improvements, but telling the truth, whole install mechanics is copycat of CM. What`s more - the program crashes if you don`t install Command Center in the same folder as CoI, because somebody forgot about one small unzip.dll file.

Matrix Games is everywhere with his commercials, links, logos (in Start menu, Command Center, instructions and in game).

The whole idea with a serial number is screwed up (everyone can easily download CoI from eMule or torrents with the serial as well). It also has to do with files: CC3res.cdd, CC3res.exe, Maga.mg, which mess up in game folder.

MMCIII is for free. But here - we have this as a part of the game (what makes CSO Simtek very proud). But I have to add, that this program is not developed by its author any more. Moreover MMCIII is old and not always stable. And what`s more, to make it work you must install old Java from Microsoft, which is not stable and unsafe.

SkinUtility for BattleHQ. To make this thing work you should specially install Net Framework 2.

Movement of tanks is not much improved. For example: there are some cases, when tanks hover round the river for about 10min (!) and what's more - it takes place about 20m far from shallow water. Same thing with buildings and other obstacles.

Program ModBuldier crash when we won't install NET Framework 2.0.

There are some causes, when tanks fire at about 45, 60 or 90 degree, when their main gun is pointed somewhere else! For example: KV-1.

Guns usually don`t shoot at tanks in "Defend" mode, but at far infantry-almost always (and it causes uncovering gun position).

There is generally strange team behaviour in "Defend" mode (for example: sometimes infantry doesn`t want to shoot at enemies who are only 5m far).

When you scroll screen using mouse, the clock stops for a while, but if you scroll using key arrows, ewerything is ok. A little annoying.

...and this is the best Wink :

regards

schrecken

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:06 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about you but I like my high velocity shells to pass through smoke.

Also prefer it to pass through leaves on trees and basically anything that offers no resistance.

smoke.jpg
 Description:
Spot the panzer. Smoke doing it's job not acting like armour plate.
 Filesize:  198.05 KB
 Viewed:  16061 Time(s)

smoke.jpg

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

schrecken

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:35 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Maps of additional grand campaign have poor quality. They look like somebody used copy/paste option. They are far from the quality of stock CC3 maps.

I didn't make the maps but I disagree.

Quote:
or example Pz IV D has wrong shadows size because it is bigger than the tank

never noticed that before ...thanks for consrtuctive criticism.

Quote:
The main instruction is poor comparing to CC3 The Russian Front. And what`s more, it is junked with Matrix Games commercials. The other smaller instructions are also little silly.

??

Quote:
Miniatures of Battlemaker maps are amateurish stretched.

CoI and CCIII handle maps that are taller than they are wider exactly the same.... unfortunate but true.

Quote:
but telling the truth, whole install mechanics is copycat of CM

No it's not.

Config. manager was great... but I wouldn't swap back to it from ModSwap, it is far more elegant and handles errors in a superior fashion.

You also get support for CC2 CC4 CC5 in one dedicated package instead of a plethora of Config. versions.

Quote:
program crashes if you don`t install Command Center in the same folder as CoI

Just install the game and nothing crashes...easy!

Quote:
veryone can easily download CoI from eMule or torrents with the serial as well

Yes... your IP is being tracked now... be afraid, be very afraid.

Quote:
MMCIII is old and not always stable.

Well over 15,000 online games have been played on the MMCCIII servers since February.... are you missing out on all the fun?

That is, my educated guess, more CCIII games than have been played online than in the last 2 years.... but that doesn't matter when your having a rant ...does it?

There are more people in the BHQ CoI room each day than in the gamespy CCIII room... I haven't seen any in GS since February, but maybe I have been unlucky.

Quote:
SkinUtility for BattleHQ. To make this thing work you should specially install Net Framework 2

If you don't want it to work , don't install Net Framework2.

and now I've got sore fingers...I'll come back to this later.

StasiuX

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:20 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

schrecken wrote:
I don't know about you but I like my high velocity shells to pass through smoke.

Also prefer it to pass through leaves on trees and basically anything that offers no resistance.

What sense using smoke when You play with AI ???

mooxe

Rep: 221.7
votes: 25

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:20 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

You wait seven years for a new CC...

CoI gets released based off the version from 1998 with no new major
innovations than what was already available...

People that liked CC3 or havent followed the series seem to be mostly
happy, atleast those that speak up...

People that wanted a new CC with innovation, unhappy.

Its an endless arguement.

Over 15,000 games is impressive. I suppose its 99% single player though,
and I highly doubt theres much coordinated efforts, just people banging
away single player oblivious to what thier opponents have planned. Is MMCC3
anything more than a rough gauge to check how many people are playing? I
played it for a while and thought it was fun, but since I was always alone it lost its fun.

CC2 and CC5 field way more online players than CoI or CC3 combined. I login
mostly each night to see whos playing in BHQ, and CoI is usually empty. This
is during the primetime of North America. People stopped playing CC3 for
one reason or another, whatever the reason was, its not fixed in CoI.

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

robert_pl

Rep: 0.3

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:22 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

schrecken... what a bullshit!
You confuse Line of Sight with Line of Fire.

Smoke in COI is useless if it doesnt block line of sight. Do you get it?

COI is piece of shit, worse than most mods.

StasiuX

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:17 am Post subject: Reply with quote

No offence schrecken, but what happen with your "high velocity shells to pass through smoke" Laughing

schrecken

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:28 am Post subject: Reply with quote

They come out the other side

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess

Jump to: