Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1257
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Author
pvt_Grunt

Rep: 99.7
votes: 5

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:08 am Post subject: You never miss it till it's gone.. Reply with quote

CSO I'm talking about of course. Gone about a week now. I'm still checking in daily but nogo. Even Schreck doesnt know. Sad thing is, hardly anyone's posting anymore (me too, guilty), so it's like no one noticed. Not many of the old timers are playing much CC anymore or posting I guess. Not suprising, it is a 10 year old game after all, but I do miss the old days, and I'm not even one of the first generation!

Roll call - Beebs, Future, Sbufkle, Wruff, Uberdave, Southernland, Mafi, kwp, mick, Mav303, Atilla, TT, Drew, and my old GJS mate Smith- -I could go on.

This is like pzt Kevin's post, he's missing the games, I'm missing the posts / chat / bullshit etc. But it's really the same thing.

I hope it's just another lull.

Grunt.

ps - Ive been playing Battlefront and SId Meier's Atietam, not CC anymore for a few months.

Ernie_M

Rep: 37.4

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:24 pm Post subject: Farewell CSO Reply with quote

Nothing lasts forever...10 years is a long time

Polemarchos

Rep: 27.3

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:49 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

after every end there is a new beginning, CC will continue to exist...

i think we should not worry that much

To brave men few words are as good as many

SFC_Klemer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:31 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Polemarchos wrote:
after every end there is a new beginning, CC will continue to exist...

i think we should not worry that much

if the new begining means the crap like CC: MT then I hope someone else takes hold of CC....

CSO_Sbufkle

Rep: 32.2
votes: 1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:04 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Schreck doesnt know about it?? He does...

Looks like its going to move to new ISP and possible new management.

I submitted a new layout early Jan and the ball has been in the hierarchy court since then.

Pzt_Kevin_dtn

Rep: 10.9

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:39 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not missing out on any play time. I have plenty of battles to fight with many opponents. In fact I even turn players down on a frequent basis. And I do see a small stream of new players come into GS from time to time. Some stay like I did and others drift away.

My point is that there should be A LOT more players out there who could and should join the multiplayer ranks who instead cower in the single player shadows.

And I do agree with your point that we should see more people engaged in discussion here in the CC sites. Whether old Vets or new players alike.

I can tell you this. Pztruppen continues to roll with ongoing events and additions to our ranks. 2008 will be an exciting year for Pzt.

http://www.geocities.com/panzertruppen1/PztCCGruppe2.html

dgfred

Rep: 63.1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:38 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kevin,
Maybe you shouldn't use words like 'cower' when talking about single players,
some people just don't want to play h2h- whether for personal reasons or
they like playing how they want, when they want.
Like me for instance: I am very particular about who I play. They must be
honest and trustworthy. They must not 'pull out all stops' just to win. I like
discussing the battles and taking heavy notes. Time is a big problem. My daughter plays 3 sports in high school and I am very heavy into that, thus
taking up alot of free time. Just a thought anyway, and thanks for the link
to the PZT. :Cool

Sports Freak/ CC Commander/ Panzerblitz Commander

Pzt_Kevin_dtn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:03 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with your point and considered changing the use of the word. I think I'm using it more as a figure of speech rather than people actually being afraid of playing h2h. Though I will admit that I was awfully nervous the first time I played a human opponent and engaged in a war.

I do understand the time commitment aspect as well seeing that I have a family that is always busy. This is fortunately the slow time of the year for us since football is over and soccer has ot quite begun yet.

I'm just trying to prod more people into h2h play and if I can sufficiently offend someone into a challenge to join the h2h ranks, then my words are justified.

But in all truth, best of regards,

Pzt_Kevin_dtn

dgfred

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:12 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem Kevin, you seem to be a very fine fellow and I know your intentions are good when it comes to CC Wink .

Maybe you could start out some type of Tourney like they do quite often
for CC2. Is that feasible for CC5?

Digs

Rep: 56.7

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:36 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

If your a new comer to the series and want to play online. You'll need to install a particular mod otherwise your out of luck. No one plays regular old CC5 these days.

It's always wise to go\play through single player (training) prior to muli. The transition goes much more smoothly that way.

dgfred

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:58 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

That is what I meant- pick a particular mod and battles, then start up a round-robin style tourney between 10 or so players. Just an idea.

Pzt_Kevin_dtn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:50 am Post subject: Reply with quote

dgfred wrote:
That is what I meant- pick a particular mod and battles, then start up a round-robin style tourney between 10 or so players. Just an idea.

Uh... we do it all the time. Last year I fought in the following wars with 15-20 players involved in each war:

Pzt World War - Training Op - GJS
Merc vs RD - Africa40-41 (60mile Op)
Pzt Eros'kreig 1 - SAS custom Op
Pzt Eros'kreig 2 - Meuse custom Op
Pzt Op Carnival - GJS custom Op
Pzt Op Treehouse - GJS Custom Op
Pzt Blitz - GJS Custom Op
Pzt & Friends - Utah1.3 Custom Op

A guest in Pzt posed the question of how wars are engaged. Following is my response:

"... the rules for waging a war are common between most all clans. Here is a brief summary of how it works.

1. Teams are divided into relative even numbers. Usually you want about 7-10 for each side.

2. One team develops and submits a Custom Operation to the other team who then gets to choose sides. This insures that the op is sufficiently balanced.

3. Each team has a secure forum created where they can post orders, strat comments, battle files, and AAR's.

4. Commanders are defined for each side along with 2ic/3ic to support. These leaders are responsible for maintaining strategic direction and posting orders in line with that vision. Then every combatant/commander for each team is responsible for following orders to achieve directed objectives.

4. Battles are fought between two opposing players usually via GameSpy Arcade or TCP/IP. After each battle or series of battles, the battle file is saved and uploaded to the team's secure forum where the next combatant can download the file and fight the next battle.

5. After a battle a combatant is responsible for posting an After Action Report (AAR) providing details on achieved objectives and general battle summary. A pic of the post battle report is essential. Check out the AAR section here in Pzt to see some examples.

6. Victory is usually defined by number VL points carried by your team. Other criteria can be defined but its usuauly VL points. "

Following is a link to some of the opening AAR's for the Pzt Eros'kreig War fought in SAS. I never got around to moving all the team's AAR's over from the secure site.

http://www.xsorbit3.com/users/battlehqclosecombat/index.cgi?board=aar&action=display&num=1179366957&start=0

If you check out the AAR section, you'll see other wars that have had AAR's made public.

enjoy!

dgfred

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:08 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. I was talking about a tourney though- not a complete battle or a team
battle. Say you have 10 guys- 5 matches first rd/switch sides and best score
wins. Then move on to rd2 with a different opponent. You see what I mean? I understand it might not be possible, just an idea to get some more
interest in CC5 (

Pzt_Kevin_dtn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:13 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what you are refering to now. I have not participated in such an event but I believe RD has held such a tournament before. Its a little difficult to rank players so matchups are just randomly created. Maybe someone from RD can comment on their tournament experience. I'm not aware of anyone else having participated in such an event. Maybe Tournament House (TH) has held such a tourny in the past.

dgfred

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:35 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, tournamenthouse has these types of tourneys all the time for CC2- they
are a blast. :Cool

king_tiger_tank

Rep: 0.1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:14 am Post subject: Re: Farewell CSO Reply with quote

Ernie_M wrote:
Nothing lasts forever...10 years is a long time

yeah, its crazy how long these games have lasted, and I'm glad they have lasted this long too. Smile

What would H Jones do?

squadleader_id

Rep: 53.2
votes: 7

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:23 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the gaming industry haven't released any 'CC replacement' wargames yet.
The new games look amazing but gameplay is usually arcadish and nowhere near the battle sim that CC is.

The PC version of the Lock'nLoad franchise looks promising though (http://www.locknloadgame.com/).

yukongold

Rep: 7

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:42 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmmmmm, this thread seems to be going in a lot of different directions. Just to take it back to the original topic.......the demise of the CSO server.

I have enjoyed being able to search through the CSO forums for tech help and modding information, and always tried to take a non-partisan stance in regard to the CSO and CCS rivalry. I've tried to contribute to both sites in my own way and always felt that the community was all the richer for having two good resources for downloads and information. For players that really aren't interested in the modding aspect of the game series, the loss of CSO may not hold much significance. For myself and many others it is a big loss. Lets hope that it is resurrected. Just my two-bits on the subject.

cheers

pvt_Grunt

Rep: 99.7

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:06 am Post subject: Reply with quote

yukongold wrote:
Hmmmmmmmm, this thread seems to be going in a lot of different directions. Just to take it back to the original topic.......the demise of the CSO server.

I have enjoyed being able to search through the CSO forums for tech help and modding information, and always tried to take a non-partisan stance in regard to the CSO and CCS rivalry. I've tried to contribute to both sites in my own way and always felt that the community was all the richer for having two good resources for downloads and information. For players that really aren't interested in the modding aspect of the game series, the loss of CSO may not hold much significance. For myself and many others it is a big loss. Lets hope that it is resurrected. Just my two-bits on the subject.

cheers

Nothing wrong with a wayward thread - at least I'm getting replies!

I was thinking more along the lines of CSO going the way of other CC forums and sites which have died over the years. I was just suprised CSO is off the air too, but then I'm not a member or in the command team, just a poster.

As Ernie said, 10 years IS a long time, and a good time was had (by me). Even if it comes back I wont be around too much, like lots of people I've moved on to other games, more kids, new jobs, less time etc. No big deal - just life.

southern_land

Rep: 155.2
votes: 14

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:22 am Post subject: Re: You never miss it till it's gone.. Reply with quote

pvt_Grunt wrote:
CSO I'm talking about of course.
Roll call - Beebs, Future, Sbufkle, Wruff, Uberdave, Southernland, Mafi, kwp, mick, Mav303, Atilla, TT, Drew, and my old GJS mate Smith- -I could go on.

Still around on the odd occasion, still got a few few things on the boil CC-wise Rolling Eyes

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jump to: