Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1253
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
Digs

Rep: 56.7
votes: 5

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:49 pm Post subject: First mod recommendation Reply with quote

Haven't completed CC5 yet but am looking into what my first mod should be. There are many to choose from, I want something worth my time. Grand campaigns aren’t something you can complete in a day and move onto the next, if you get my drift. My interest's are: Strong single player game play, aesthetics, sound and realism.

Pzt_Kanov

Rep: 14.2
votes: 9

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:41 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest GJS then Stalingrad trilogy.

Digs

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:30 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I have these mods in my possesion (CC5): Gold Juno Sword v4.4, S.A.S. v3.5, Meuse Crossing 1940 v3.4 and A Bridge too Far v1.05. I've played A.B.T.F. (Original) but only the demo, when it first came out in 1997.

I'd love to play the Stalingrad mods but you need CC3 in order to use them, correct?. I own Close Combat 4 & 5 so I'm outta luck, hopefully Cross of Iron goes down in price some time in the future.

dgfred

Rep: 63.1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:52 pm Post subject: Re: First mod recommendation Reply with quote

Digs wrote:
Haven't completed CC5 yet but am looking into what my first mod should be. There are many to choose from, I want something worth my time. Grand campaigns aren’t something you can complete in a day and move onto the next, if you get my drift. My interest's are: Strong single player game play, aesthetics, sound and realism.

Stalingrad: Operation Circle is a winner in my opinion.

Sports Freak/ CC Commander/ Panzerblitz Commander

schrecken

Rep: 195
votes: 15

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:21 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd love to play the Stalingrad mods but you need CC3 in order to use them, correct?.

The Stalingrad mods are for CC5, so you're a lucky man.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Digs

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:32 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great news!, I though you needed certain files from CC3 in order to use them.

CSO_Talorgan

Rep: 72.5
votes: 1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:35 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Digs wrote:
I though you needed certain files from CC3 in order to use them.

Don't think so.

Pzt_Rasalom

Rep: 0.1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:40 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Also SAS3.5 is H2H only.

Battle of Berlin is great too. vs AI it is

Any fool with a fast pair of hands can take a tiger by the balls. But it takes a hero to keep squeezing....

Pzt_Rasalom

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:42 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Also SAS3.5 is H2H only.

Battle of Berlin is great too. vs AI it is

Any fool with a fast pair of hands can take a tiger by the balls. But it takes a hero to keep squeezing....

Pzt_Rasalom

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:49 am Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry bout that. Embarassed

Digs

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:34 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried Stalingrad v1.2 and I'm a little disappointed with the sound, unit pictures and vehicles. Some sounds are too loud and some too quite. Weapons use the wrong sounds (not all). Unit pictures are hard to make out and mobile vehicles are kind of plump. Also, text in the gui (menus) tends too run off in the frames.

nours

Rep: 1.1
votes: 1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:55 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello here! first post ever. Being a fan of the CC series for years, I'll try and bring a short impression of each cc5 mod I remember.
(I'm sorry for providing a pure consumer's point of view Embarassed , having personally brought nothing to the most impressive and dedicated modders community of all times, during these past years of gaming, but anyway, time for me to get out of the woods, I guess.)

-Battle of Berlin is the most horrific butchery I have played so far. Truly a Meat-Grinder-on-the-Oder, and a very impressive mod. Shocked
-Bloody Omaha feels somehow the same : helplessly losing your men one after the other, on the lunar landscape of the Pointe du Hoc provides a gut-wrenching parallel with Seelöw Heights.

-Winter War, though a bit aging, is still a must-play. Guerrilla in the snow is much fun. And very instructive, either.
-Meuse Crossing is a well-thought mod for practicing proper combined-weapons assaults. Both these mods are quite enjoyable from both sides vs A.I.

-La batalla del Ebro : I'm especially fond of pre-war/early-war scenarios, where Panzers of Mass Destruction do not rule the battlefield. Now that is close combat! (though the general scale of some maps is a bit too large for providing a hectic fight, I think). Had much fun with creating a single battle in Gandesa as well... (La Batalla del Cuartel General Very Happy)
*drools at a Teruel mod* A las barricadas!
-Khalkin-Gol : The first battle with cavalry units assaulting a village has a very promising taste. A taste of swords and bayonets. :death3 But is the mod "on ice"?. Crying or Very sad

-Afrika 40-41 is a great idea and a well executed mod, but the gameplay feels a bit like a single, huge, artillery barrage. At least that's what I felt after being constantly hammered. Gotta pack some aspirin before starting another campaign.
(Oh well, that's nothing compared to the Mother of All Poundings that greeted my troops entering Beketovka in SOC : Arty barrage, mortar barrage, field mortars, field arty units, plane strafing, katyushas, everything and the like, you name it... Just missing from the picture was the massive-human-wave-to-steamroll-it-all. Soviet style at its best. Laughing )

-Okinawa : teh very first cc5 mod, IIRC? Well worth a try, though the many steep slopes will cramp your legs.

-GJS 4.4 & Stalingrad 1.2 : He who has not played them, shalt play them.

Smile

Last edited by nours on Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

LiveFree

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:43 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent review nours!

i was wondering myself how others had reviewed the mods...gave me a sense of which ones to try first

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat 5: Invasion Normandy

Jump to: