Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1270
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
RightDeve

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:42 am Post subject: The Assault on Brest-Litovsk Fort, June 22, 1944 Reply with quote

This one is a medium battle covering the Brest-Litovsk area on 22 June 1944, aka Siege of Brest-Litovsk. The battle saw many urban fighting, river crossing, and one of the most terrible artillery shelling (not barrage, note!) I've ever witnessed.

Ok, let's start. In this one-off battle I take the German side whilst my adversary is of course, the Rote Armee, the Soviets.

-------------------------------------
BELLIGERENTS' FORCE: ++
-------------------------------------

I commanded an entire Battlegroup equal to Battalion (I use the standard OB nomenclature here, not the Germans'):

-"A" Battalion: Formation A0. Commands:

-"A" Company (directly attached to the HQ/Support Units). Commands:
-"B" Platoon (Infantry Group). Commanding subordinate squads.
-"C" section (Artillery FO).
-"D" section (Artillery FO).
-"F" squadron (Luftwaffe/Air Support). Commanding subordinate aircraft.
-"G" squadron (Luftwaffe/Air Support). Commanding subordinate aircraft.
-"H" Squadron (Luftwaffe/Air Support). Commanding subordinate aircraft.
-"I" squadron (Luftwaffe/Air Support). Commanding subordinate aircraft.
-"J" Squadron (Luftwaffe/Air support). Commanding subordinate aircraft.
-"O" Platoon (AntiTank Guns/PanzerAbwehrKanone). Commanding subordinate squads.
-"V" Platoon (Pioneer Group).
-"W" Platoon (pioneer Group).
-"AB" Battery (Artillery Battery/15cm sFH 1Cool. Commanding subordinate squads.
-"AF" Battery (Artillery Battery). Commanding subordinate squads.
-"AG" Battery (Artillery Battery). Commanding subordinate squads.

-"E" Battery (rocket launchers battery/Nebelwerfer 41). Commanding subordinate squads.

-"G" Battery (Mortars and howitzer). Commands:

-"K" Company (Infantry Group). Commands:
-"L" Platoon
-"M" Platoon
-"N" Platoon

-"R" Squadron (Infantry supports/StuGs). Commanding subordinate squads.

-"X" Company (Infantry group). Commands:
-"Y" Platoon
-"Z" Platoon
-"AA" Platoon

-"AC" Company (Mech. Inf. Group). Commands:
-"AD" Platoon (PanzerGrenadiere).
-"AE" Platoon (PanzerGrenadiere).

---------------------
TERRAIN: ++
---------------------

Most of the map consisted of many open steppes on the western side with some wooded area. River Bug crossing through the NW

to the SE and spread to three branches. The map is relatively flat. The Brest-Litovsk city I was going to exploit is divided

by three parts: The Western Island, Northern Island, and the Citadel (Fort). To get through the Western Island, we need to

cross one single bridge over the river. And to get over the Northern Island, we need to first cross the river to the area

just west of the northern island, then cross again another "child river" to get to the inner Northern Island, so there will

be two river battle. The whole city of Brest-Litovsk is crowded with stone buildings, except at the Western Island where

there's some open and wooded spaces on the northern part. As for the fort (Citadel), it is separated from the West island but

connected by a bridge.

--------------------
THE PLAN: ++
--------------------

Ok, let's get to the General's tabletop. Just as the overall terrain suggested, there must be first river crossing phase,

then, breakthrough, and the last, urban warfare inside the city itself. As the city is divided by two, there'll also be force

diverging. I divide my force into two sectors; the northern sector (for the North Island) and the southern sector (for the

western Island) so don't expect a cohessive force. My fortune here is that all my infantry forces are equipped with small

Stormboot (inflatable assault boat), and beside that, I have superior artillery and air support over the Russkys. The entire

plan is as follows:

Northern sector forces: B Platoon, M Platoon, L4 squad from K company, X Company (Y platoon and AA platoon (as reserve)).
Southern sector forces: K company (L & N platoon), platoon V & W from A company, and Z platoon from X company as reserve.

As for southern sector, I'm going to plot heavy arty and air strike mission on the russian's bridgehead. Then position the V

& W platoon to the building on my bridgehead to cover the K, L, and N platoon advancing through the bridge. Once K, L, and N

platoon reached the other side of the river, they'll have to establish a foothold and defend it until the V & W platoon cross

the bridge. Once I have put the entire infantry forces on the bridgehead, then a breakout is launched. For the ensuing

advance, the L and W platoon will have to scourge the central road and be the main axis of advance. K and V platoon advance

north from the bridgehead to capture Victory Locations on the north and establish a firing position to cover the second river

crossing by the northern sector. The N platoon is going to advance behind L & W Platoon then turn south to capture VL there

and to advance via the road behind the soviet line to capture more VL. To keep the momentum in advancing throuh the southern

sector is of great improtance.

For the northern sector, there would be small arty strike on the russkys' bridgehead. The advance will be lead by B platoon

whilst M platoon give covering fire. Once there, B should create a foothold and then M platoon advance followed by X company.

All of them will have to make a breakout; the X company should advance northward to capture high ground and prepare for

bridge crossing into North Island, while B and M platoon are going to advance along the river and prepare for a river

crossing via sturmboot into north island. If the B n M platoon successfully crossed the river under the covering fire from K,

V platoon and X company, then they'll have to strike northward to catch the northern bridge's defenders unprepared (and to

create a foothold on the other side of the river, so that X company could advance savely). Once the entire force on northern

sector savely landed on North island, they'll go inland and create havoc to the ill defended city. Commitment to coordination

and advance is the key in succeeding northern sector.

--------------------
THE BATTLE: ++
--------------------

The battle opened by a "horrible" artillery and air support shelling to the southern sector just east of the bridge. My 15 cm

schwereFeldHaubitze 18 really crushed the soviet's defending position, from house to house, street to street, pillbox to

pillbox. Some Ju-88 Junker and Ju-87 stukas dropped their ordnance quite unprecisely, some dropped near the assembly area of

V platoon, but they do really creating horrible damage to the city. I wonder if the russkys are crying and moaning for their

mother, father, whatsoever. While the bombardment took place, I moved V and W Platoon toward the building just west of the

bridge while the K and L platoon advancing. This one is quite unfortunate as one russky pillbox opened fire toward the

advancing platoon, they got suppressed. The river crossing is just so horrible that the building west of the bridge became a

"meat-show" for the soviets. Hundreds of soldiers huddled in one small place. The V and W platoon keep giving covering fire

toward the pillboxes accross the river. This show on the west bank cause some casualty to the platoons. They got themselves

pinned down by a single pillbox just straightforward the eye. After some pending on the assault (and for the arty to quit),

the K and L platoon finally advanced, only to get cut by another pillbox on the south. The platoon leader ordered a massive

smoke cover to break the pillbox LOS. Finally the K platoon reached the first straightforward pillbox and give suppressing

fire from the rear and side of it whilst the V, w, and N platoon advancing.

The northern sector advance was little unfortunate. After a little bit artillery shelling, I advance the assaulting platoon.

The B platoon come under Maxim HMGs fire all accross the river, on the building north of the river. There were heavy

casualties on the advancing platoon. All of a sudden, two soviet BA-6 appeared. One was KOd by 37mm PaK and sunk in the mud

while the other appeared from the smoke on the center of the bridge and killed high number of troops attempting to assault

the bridgehead. The B platoon was undoubtedly overwhelmed. Most were killed while the other dispersed. The crossfire from the

HMGs were so heavy that once you got your head up, say good bye. The entire northern sector come to a halt. Not even crossing

the river yet! I noticed that the crossfire also comes from a pillbox somewhere on the southern sector. I realized the

situation will only got worse if i still attempting my troops to cross the bridge. Finally, I gave the order for the entire

northern sector to cross the river via sturmboot. I use the shadow of the bridge to cover my crossing, my troops advance from

the left side. The initial amphibious assault was a success, and some of the men already on the other bank of the river

despite some small fire from HMGs. But upon the 5th landing, the HMGs seemed to increase the rate of fire that 2 assault

boats were drowned. But the rest of the northern sector forces landed savely eventually.

Back to the southern sector, the entire forces were now huddling together again in a small crossroad. I have taken the

initiative to advance though the artillery was still raining. The straightforward pillbox was still raining MG bullets over

the forces on the previous bridgehead, so the L2 squad commanded by Petersbach (forgot his rank) take the initiative to

demolish this rubbish stone building using a handful of Sprengladung. The southern sector was just being halted by three

soviet rifle squads. But suddenly two soviet T-26 appeared on the central road and spread havoc to the sector. The southern

sector come to a halt. The whole soldiers fired at two T-26 but unable to get close to demolish them because the constant MG

fire from both the tanks and the riflemen. I called for the arty strike to come and hit the T-26 hoping that atleast their

crew demoralized and leaping out. But the arty seemed to be blind and my two soldiers got killed, a shameful death on the

gate of Operation Barbarossa. Fortunately one of the arty hit one T-26 and their demolished crew bailed out in terror. Now

there's only one T-26, buttoned. The brave men from N2 squad got close under covering fire by L platoon and one private threw

a GeballteLadung which finally wrecked the entire armor: A breakthrough achieved. I now noticed that there's real difference

in plotting the arty using Forward Observer unit with LOS, and the other command team out of LOS.

As the entire northern sector forces were already off the river, I managed to secure the other end of the bridge from soviet

Maxim HMGs. After a small firefight against these "satan" HMGs, I can be able to secure the area using X company mainly. Now

my forces trudging through the destroyed soviet buildings to capture a VL just inside a large stone building (maybe this is

Communist HQ Office, heh). I deployed B and M platoon to scour the southern area and X company to go to the building and

capture the VL. As the X company marched eastward, one of its squad, the "Y0", suddenly fired upon by a strongpoint building

ahead. "Y0" has been so foolish to march through the road; they're just too exposed. Much of the men were killed and as a

last resort of effort, they cover their retreat using some smoke grenades. The B and M platoon soon took the job of

destroying this annoying building. They crept the garden just south of the strongpoint and took an assault attack toward it.

It finally destroyed though some men were killed and wounded in this action. The X company advance on the northern part was

much halted by another HMGs firing from the office's windows. The "X0" squad, the HQ squad of X company had been so foolish

to step on open field just to get cut to ribbon by those soviets. The rest gave quick response by pouring hot bullets to the

windows as a suppressing fire followed by some two squads moving forward to get some defensive position. These two squads too

been trapped in a fire building while being attacked by a squad of soviet riflemen just inside the office building. The fire

building really got them demoralized; one of the soldiers even cried "I'll never get to this hell anymore!" but some brave

men from these squads still managed to kill those soviet belligerents, and they did it! The "X0" squad was so much destroyed

that it can't take part significantly on the battlefield anymore. After a hard and horrible firefight against the HMGs inside

the office, finally they can move again; those HMGs routed in terror. And it's just a matter of time before the northern

sector captured the VL inside this Commies HQ office.

Back to southern sector again, after a brave action from "N2" squad to demolish the T-26, it is now time for L,W, and N

platoon advancing through the main axis of advance. They're advancing under the "cover" of the still-raining artillery (yes,

it mean really cover:using blind arty strike just 50 meters ahead, the chance of friendly arty incoming was high). I was

hesitating to cancel the arty mission 'coz i thought the shelling would really help bail the soviets out of the building. As

a consequences of this, another 2 men were killed, this time from the L Platoon. The advance for the southern sector was so

slow. But, fortunately, phew, the promised reinforcement of 3 StuGIII finally arrived though some cannon fire from a pillbox

200 metres away while crossing the bridge. This reinforcement was really helpful on such a heavy front like this. The lead

squads on the front were fighting their way forward against 3 soviet rifle squads. Upon the StuGs' presence this could be

neutralized quickly (the soviets were throwing F1 grenade against these "Bull", what a vain effort!). These bull were really

a helping hand. But their role wasn't long lasting in such a heavy urban warfare. As they moved forward, suddenly another

T-26 (but this time another version, probably T-26 1937) already dug in, attacked and destroyed two of them, all so sudden!

This is really my mistake 'coz I advance them all by themselves, without inf. support. But fortune was on the last StuGIII,

he didn't get any damage. I soon ordered the forward infantry inside a building to give suppressing fire against this soviet

"hulk". And finally the last StuG can revenge his toasted comrades throuh the 3rd shots (1st and 2nd shots were missed,

porbably 'coz the gunner was so shocked and terrified). And the advance went on. At this time, most of my forces on the

southern sector occupied buildings on the left side of the road, while the soviets on the right. The forces involved in main

axis of advance were so stretched from the forward position to the rear position.

The northern sector continued to advance. After the fall of the strongpoint and the defenders at Commies HQ, these platoons

were able to secure the VL and get readied for another river crossing to the North Island. As planned, the B and M platoon

positioned themselves at the buildings just on the riverbank to get cross the river. But under all expectation, the soviet

have massed all their forces on the other side of the river and the entire sector got stucked. All they need right now was

the promised support unit consisted of 1 StuGIII, 1 sIG (schwere Infanterie Geschuetz), and 2 PanzerAbwehrKanone (PaK). The

arrival of these unit was so critical regarding the situation on the front being stalled by Soviet Infantrymen. Once these

armor could arrive, the forward position can possibly create another breakthrough. But, luck wasn't on their side. These

vehicles never arrived due to the previous bridge on the west was still being defended by 2 pillboxes 1 km away (on the

southern sector), these annoying structure couldn't be destroyed till platoon K and V arrived. They (K and V) soon take a

position to give suppressing fire for the ongoing river crossing by B and M platoon. These platoon (K and V) had been little

resisted by the Red Army on the road to this ridge position, though some AAMG and snipers gave casualties to them. Now, this

is the only cohessive part of the entire forces; southern sector helping northern sector via suppressing fire. But,

unfortunately, the entire northern sector came to a halt. I managed to cross some unit through the southernmost of this part

of the river using sturmboot, but what I didn't expected that they're too on the firing range of the defending soviet forces

on the riverside, and they got destroyed suddenly, just like a turkeyshoot. The only surviving support unit for the northern

sector were the PaK. They positioned themselves at the high ground captured by X company, but unfortunately one russian T-18,

coming from nowhere, knocked one of them before the T-18 itself was destroyed by the rest of the PaK.

The entire northern sector was really come to a halt. The overall northern sector operation was just marked by small

firefight, some counter sniper fire, etc. It's all come to stop. No river crossing.

Now, it's better to look for the southern sector. After the outstretched position advanced slowly to gain some more

buildings, then suddenly, all of a sudden, a massive soviet counterattack launched on the flank of this position. The

outstrethced forces suddenly overwhelmed, most of the entire front collapsed, main axis of advance stopped. Moreover, the

now-used reserve platoon, the Z platoon, were being bombarded by enemy 50mm mortar from the wooded are north. They were

pinned down, suppressed. Even, some of them were fleeing to re-cross the bridge. Soon I ordered all sector to be in position

of defence till reinforcement could arrive. What I mean reinforcement here is the men from K and V platoon on the north, and

the now-coming AC company PanzerGrenadiere Grupp. I also called for another arty strike, a more massive one, plotted on the

soviet side (right side of the road), this one would last till the time's up.

Until some time after defending long enough, the intended support from K and V platoon arrived, as they sweeped southward to

destroy some mortar position on the woods. Another support from PZGren Grupp also arrived crossing the river south of the

city instead of crossing the bridge. As the AC Company advanced northward, the intended arty strike was coming. It really

hamper the "great-looking" Soviet Counterattack. The entire soviet counterattack forces were drawing. But, unfortunate for

them, as they pull eastward, my AC company already waited for them to be chewed up. Finally, the support forces from K and V

platoon trudged forward to take another VL.

I managed to counterstrike the soviet assault to achieve the gate to the citadel, but unfortunately, the time is up. It's

been a great urban fighting. I've never played such a massive battle with river crossings, urban warfare, and arty barrage.

Wow, worth an experience!!!

--------------------
AFTERMATH ++
--------------------

The aftermath of the battle was "Draw". Although I claimed more VL than the soviets. The soviet's total casualty was 508 men

KIA, MIA, or WIA. Not included mortar pieces and AFVs.

As for me, the total number of casualty was 385 men KIA, MIA, or WIA. Not included the arty (Pak) pieces, and AFVs.

One great lesson for me this battle is that an accurate arty mission can be achieved by using Forward Observer who has LOS to

the bombardment site. Never again I will divide my forces so separately. In river crossing mission, speed and firepower is

the key. The longer you stay on your bridgehead, the more you will earn casualty.

Cheers,
RightDeve

----------------------------------------------------------
Kiye udu gem CloseCOmbat!!!

Searry

Rep: 3.2
votes: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:21 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

TL;DR

squadleader_id

Rep: 53.2
votes: 7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:01 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm...what's the game/wargame? Wink

RD_Roach

Rep: 1.9
votes: 1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:58 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Excelent AAR!!

CC Greatest Game Ever!
www.reddevilscc.com

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess -> H2H Multiplayer

Jump to: