Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1214
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Author
AT_Stalky

Rep: 27.4
votes: 10

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:40 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

CSO_Linebacker wrote:
Stalky,

The leaked beta was probably 15-20...if not more...builds ago while things were still getting polished. I have never seen the agressive counterattacks in any version of CC...including vetmods...as I you will see in WAR. Let's just say that the AI does not like losing VLs...especially major VLs or exit VLs.

One thing that has not been mentioned when discussing enhancements, is that the AI uses a 'base' battle plan depending on what type of BG it is, and what type of BG it is facing, and this is fully customizable by the modder now.

Linebacker

I have not complained about AI performance, as I just play H2H, other have complained of AI ofcose with all right as its really poor in all CC that has been realised (atomic to), and that why I don’t play AI.
So If AI is improved that’s a small/big/major step forward and that will attract more players and consumers to the new products, me personally don’t really care about that, BUT what’s good for CC will be good for the fans to.

As for my major complain, it’s that what’s been named "girly soldier" that means soldiers go to ground more easy now and stop move, and vehicle stop move as they are fired at (thats suicidal).
I really really hope it has been turned back to CC5 level in WaR, or im afraid many ppl who love CC series will fined WaR to micromanaging and...
Or a suggestion, the “girliness” may be adjusted by the user?

flick

Rep: 17.6

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:53 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, an option would be great. Let the player decide.

Flamethrower

Rep: 11.5
votes: 2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:18 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

ZAPPI4 wrote:

First of all, if you dont respect a moderator, and admin or a member you dont need to
insult him. If u dont like who manage CCS, it's easy, forget the adress.

You are on a Fan site here at CCS. So why should me not critic our loveled
CCx? The way of a community is to reach THAt moment when, like one voice
everyone say : Perfect, dont touch anymore to the game, u reach the perfect game.
And yes, we said maturity, and no insult will bring CCS upper. But it seems
that some people dont integrated this point.

point taken about the insults..consider it toned down
my frustration is with the constant attacks on the game before it is released(like this girlie soldier crap) by a handful of folks who haven't given it a fair shake

squadleader_id

Rep: 53.2
votes: 7

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:42 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Flamethrower wrote:

my frustration is with the constant attacks on the game before it is released(like this girlie soldier crap) by a handful of folks who haven't given it a fair shake

Thing is...you quickly resort to insults (pissants? Wink )...hardly any argument to counter pissant criticism of WAR. I suppose you can't say anything useful because of the beta tester NDA, eh? Very Happy

squadleader_id

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:05 am Post subject: Reply with quote

CSO_Linebacker wrote:
What is the continual mention of 'girly soldiers'? Am I missing something. I charged 13 AB teams across 200m of wide open 'Grass Field' straight into schreckies entreched mg and infantry teams...with no smoke screen cover...and the first team did not go to ground until they were within about 75m of schreckies positions. Most did not go to ground until I gave a fire order.

The question is...did Shreckie fire on your AB teams...or did he wait to ambush you and deliberately started firing at 75m?

Quote:
If this is still not good enough for you, remember this:

Most commanders have said that the hardest thing to do is to get a soldier to move forward when being shot at. There are several quotes by former infantry commanders who say that about 90% of all soldiers are useless in combat, but that there are just enough heroes to carry the day.

Yup...but the old AI (soldier AI, we're not talking about "opponent AI for single player games") models this too (read my previous posts)...IMO more realistically and without sacrificing gameplay.

The soldier AI in CoI and CCMT are handled differently (=hence the "girlie soldiers" designation Wink ), someone posted the WAR leaked beta also featured this "new AI"...so discussions started rolling.

I guess with WAR almost at the door...we'll just have to wait a little while for confirmation about this...

CSO_Linebacker

Rep: 5.9
votes: 1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:22 am Post subject: Reply with quote

squadleader_id wrote:

The question is...did Shreckie fire on your AB teams...or did he wait to ambush you and deliberately started firing at 75m?

Schreckie's teams started firing on my troops as soon as they broke the tree line. We were testing an idea, and with conclusions reached, I was just looking for a quick end to the battle by issuing move fast orders to all of my teams over 200m+ of Grass Field element. All of his teams were set to defend....and as soon as he got LOS, it was open season

'If it does not have a gun, it cannot be fun'

squadleader_id

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:34 am Post subject: Reply with quote

CSO_Linebacker wrote:
squadleader_id wrote:

Schreckie's teams started firing on my troops as soon as they broke the tree line. We were testing an idea, and with conclusions reached, I was just looking for a quick end to the battle by issuing move fast orders to all of my teams over 200m+ of Grass Field element. All of his teams were set to defend....and as soon as he got LOS, it was open season

That's great news, Linebacker!
So maybe the delay in WAR's release was due to added time needed to recruit 'men' to replace the 'girls' Wink

Flamethrower

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:16 am Post subject: Reply with quote

squadleader_id wrote:
...hardly any argument to counter pissant criticism of WAR.

from the pissant brigade banner carrier

CSO_Linebacker

Rep: 5.9
votes: 1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:19 am Post subject: Reply with quote

squadleader_id wrote:

That's great news, Linebacker!
So maybe the delay in WAR's release was due to added time needed to recruit 'men' to replace the 'girls' Wink

And sew a pair of iron stones on to the existing ones.

'If it does not have a gun, it cannot be fun'

mooxe

Rep: 221.7
votes: 25

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:53 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Flamethrower wrote:

We have given this game a more than fair share shake for over 10 years now. The frustration is rooted behind waiting so long for the next best version, and out comes the same thing with fixes that possibly make things worse.

I have seen the screenshots, no matter what this game is with all the new enhancements, its still the same ol' Close Combat.

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

squadleader_id

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:03 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Flamethrower wrote:
squadleader_id wrote:
...hardly any argument to counter pissant criticism of WAR.

from the pissant brigade banner carrier

LOL! Looks like with or without NDA...insults and mockery are your only expertise on these discussions Very Happy

Flamethrower

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:54 am Post subject: Reply with quote

mooxe wrote:

I have seen the screenshots, no matter what this game is with all the new enhancements, its still the same ol' Close Combat.

more like this...

and this.......

platoon_michael

Rep: 56.2
votes: 25

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:35 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeesh,
Trying to get caught up trying to read on this topic is boring.

When ever I have had vehicles that close to a building just like the screen shot someone posted my vehicle couldnt move because it was stuck.

No aggressive AI/not even in VETmods?
Ahhh I would look at TT's Vl's for that.
The AI did a great job at having some tactics from the AI due to the hidden VL's TT provided.
His vehicles moved very well in battle.There is no crawl of death.
Probably the first time I had ever seen a flanking move from the AI

I dont see any problem with the re-release.

The biggest problem I see is the constant: I want this/I want that.
well with what sounds like everything or almost everything now being in a text file I dont see why you guys cant have that.

lETS BUY THE GAME.
lETS PLAY THE GAME.
LETS MOD THE HELL OUT OF THE GAME.

You can have this conversation again when/if a true CC6 comes out.

squadman45

Rep: 2.4

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:40 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you know that the client ALLWAYS are in the correct??? people says "we want CC6" CC owners sold COI, CCMT and now WaR (CCIV with a new look), i think there are a little problem of comunication...... or they take us for a band of Junks.

In my country we say "Experiments with the righteous and soda", we all play CC2,CCIII, CCIV and CCV (not all but at least yes to CCV) and i think all the people loves play in Ardenas.. well in the Bulge, or in Holand but i asume this is the past and now CC need new horizonts not allways looking back (CCMT ISNT THE FUTURE MY GOD!!!!).

WaR have many new things but why dont use it in a new game??? ooooo is easy take and old game use all you can recycle and selling as a "new" game for the price of a new games.

I dont say WaR is a bad game but i dont pay more than 20 Euros (a little less than 30 american dollars) for it (i buy Ageod games for 30 Euros phisical for example).

Now what´s the next??? the game before called CCV ??? OFTN (Operation f**k teutons in Normandy???) or better OLDFW (Operation let´s drink french wine???).

If the expend money and time in releases they can expend it in a NEW CC game Mad

Digs

Rep: 56.7
votes: 5

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:10 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Close Combat: Wacht am Rhein

RATING: Everyone
RELEASE DATE: October 28, 2008
PUBLISHER: Matrix Games
DEVELOPER: Strategy 3 Tactics
PRODUCT CODE : MXG183881000953
UPC: 183881000953
File/Download Stats: v4.50 882 MB = 34h 3m @ 56k / 2h 59m on 640kbps DSL, Satellite or Cable / 1h 14m on 1.5mbps DSL or Cable

Physical Shipment Plus Download (Can$64.99) Shocked
Digital Download PC Download (Can$47.99) Shocked
PC Physical Shipment (Can$58.99) Shocked

Description:
“Winter 1944, the Last Blitzkrieg. This is Close Combat, You are in Command!”…
Based on Atomic Games’ award-winning Close Combat series, Close Combat: Wacht am Rhein brings together the classic top-down tactical gameplay from the original series and plenty of new features, expansions, and improvements! This remake based on Close Combat: Battle of the Bulge gives newcomers and veterans to the series alike a vastly improved and expanded version of the original experience. The Wacht am Rhein remake comes with a brand new Grand Campaign including a new strategic map with 64 gorgeous hand-drawn tactical maps, over 70 scenarios, tons of new interface and unit graphics, countless engine improvements, and much more!

In Close Combat: Wacht am Rhein, you take command of US or German forces and either retrace the last steps of Hitler’s army in one desperate attempt to turn the tide of the impending allied victory or ride to the rescue with General Patton and push back the German offensive to reclaim Bastogne.

Also included is a bonus “classic” version of the original Close Combat IV.

Things didn't look good for the German Army in late 1944. The allies had advanced as far as the West Wall and had taken back most of the conquests of the Blitzkrieg. Although the Montgomery's plan to end the war, Operation Market Garden, had failed there was still a palpable sense that the Allies were on the verge of a major victory. With things not looking good on the Eastern front either, Hitler decided to make one last gamble and attempt to cut off a significant portion of the Allied army. Throwing in what remained of his feared Panzer divisions and his last reserves, he drove through Belgium to Antwerp in what would be called Unternehmen Wacht am Rhein (translated as Operation The Guard on the Rhine or Operation Watch on the Rhine).

At first it looked as though Hitler’s plan had a chance of succeeding. Early in the operation the advance was reminiscent of the Blitzkrieg across Europe early in the war. Although undersupplied and under trained, US troops still fought valiantly and in many spots offered pockets of stiff resistance which despite the rapid German advance. The German advance was quick, but as the days wore on, the advance out-paced its own supply and stockpiles began to run low. The situation was made worse with poor roads throughout the Ardennes and difficult winter weather. Almost as quickly as the attack had started, the advance ground to a halt.

To add insult to injury, the 101st Airborne earned the nickname the “battered bastards of Bastogne” by putting up a unrelenting defense for this strategic point while vastly outnumbered and surrounded by heavily armored German forces. Refusing to back down, they prevented the Germans from occupying the important Belgium crossroads town and scored a major strategic and psychological victory for the Allies. Later, as the weather cleared, Allied air support was able to decimate German supply columns and advancing armor. This bought enough time for Patton’s armor and other reinforcements to arrive and begin the long slow reduction of the Bulge the Germans had created in the Allied line.

Now in this classic top down real time tactical simulation, you take command of either US or German forces to retrace these fateful days of the war. Attempt to turn the tide of the impending Allied victory or desperately defend Bastogne while riding to the rescue with General Patton’s 3rd Army. In this vastly improved rebuild based on the critically acclaimed and award winning Close Combat series, You are in command!

Game Features:
An easy-to-use but powerful Scenario Editor - Create your own "what if" Scenarios.
Largely expanded moddability: all strategic layer features, all campaign details including weather, turns per day, scoring, support mission (artillery, airstrike) capabilities for both Germans and Americans, battlegroup recycling, battlegroup retreat/disband, supply and much more!
Further improvements have been made to the AI to enhance most, if not all, performance issues: vehicle pathing, infantry tactics, team and unit morale, overall AI aggressiveness and decision-making in general.
Accurately depicts World War II tactical warfare and its challenges
Realistic soldier psychological profiles during combat
... and many more!

Game Data:
Complexity: Basic to Moderate
Field of Play: Tactical
Historical Period: World War II
Theater: European
Unit Scale: Individual Soldier to Squad Level
Turn Play: Real Time Strategy
Players: 1 - 2
AI: Yes
TCP/IP: Yes
PBEM: No
Game Editor: Yes
Manual: PDF (Download) & B/W printed(Physical), 92 pages
Display Resolution: 1024x768 or higher

Requirements:
CPU: Pentium 133 MHz (300 MHz recommended) or fully compatible
RAM: 256 MB (512 MB / 1 GB for Windows Vista recommended)
Video/Graphics: 1MB 16-bit Vided Graphic card (8MB recommended)
Sound: 16bit DirectX 9.0 compatible soundcard
CD-ROM Drive: Yes, for boxed version installation
Hard Drive: 1.5GB

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat Wacht am Rhein
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Jump to: