Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1224
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
God4Saken

Rep: 0.7

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:00 am Post subject: The German Army in Afghanistan Reply with quote

G'day there everybody, I hope we are all well there today. Here's an interesting news article that appeared in the Guardian newspaper.

http://www.theage.com.au/world/shock-as-german-army-drinks-deep-20081115-67ol.html

Shock as German army drinks deep
Kate Connolly Berlin
November 16, 2008

German soldiers of the Quick Reaction Force.

IF THE German defence ministry's figures are anything to go by, being a soldier in Afghanistan is thirsty work.

According to military sources,

about 1 million litres of beer were shipped to German troops in Afghanistan last year, as well as almost 70,000 litres of wine and sekt, a sparkling wine.

The admission has shocked a country that has never had much time for the Afghan mission. Newspaper reports under headlines such as "Drink for the Fatherland" and "Bundeswehr Boozers" have suggested alcohol is the only way of keeping soldiers onside when it is becoming ever harder to recruit them.

The figures suggest that the 3600 German soldiers based in Afghanistan as part of NATO's reconstruction mission, are each consuming about 278 litres of beer a year each, as well as 128 standard measures of wine. The figures are set to rise by about 10% this year as troop numbers increase.

Critics who have argued that Germany should extend its mandate to the dangerous areas in the south of Afghanistan from the relatively safe north, say the admission harms German claims that it is taking a professional approach to the job.

US troops face an alcohol ban when on mission, while British and other armies are allowed to drink moderately when not on duty. This led to the claim made at a NATO conference on Afghanistan that "some drink beer while others risk their lives".

But the German defence ministry has reacted coolly, saying that the supply levels indicate that soldiers are "well within" the allowed "two cans a day" limit — one litre.

GUARDIAN

Now I am deeply shocked and appalled by this, as I can't believe it. How is that Aussie soldiers who are serving in Afghanistan, including members of our elite S.A.S. regiment, are letting the German soldiers out-drink them? Why aren't the Aussie solders being the ones to consume more beer and fill more latrines than their German compatriots? One million litres of beer would take up quite a bit of space in a C-17 Globemaster transport, I wonder how many flight it would take to ship that? Officially Aussie soldiers are allowed two cans of beer per-man per-day....perhaps!

This is obviously a systematic failure in the Australian military logistical chain that they are way more concerned about transporting ammunition, ordanance, food, medical equipment and other supposed "Essential supplies" to the frontlines in Afghanistan as a greater priority than beer. Now Mooxe, you're with the Canadian army there in Afghanistan, is your government sending you enough beer or Polar Bear sherry or whatever it is you guys drink? Is there an army out there that feels it can outdrink the "Bundeswehr Boozers"?

Tippi-Simo

Rep: 53.1
votes: 5

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:28 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Aussies are pussies.
Now it´s official Razz

"Du talar dalig svenska, men du är bra i sängen"

ANZAC_Tack

Rep: 22.3
votes: 1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:50 am Post subject: oi!@ Reply with quote

its not the soldiers fault, im sure the diggers are drinking everything from lighter fluid, to dirty radiactive water(otherwise known as fosters), ITS THE SUPPLY AND LOGISTICS FAULT, THE GENERALS, THE POLITICIANS!!! THEY MUST BE SHOT!

espree de corp

MLRS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:35 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello God4Saken,

funny thread, i like it.

When i served as a Gebirgsjäger (Mountain infantry) in 1991, we were also allowed to drink one litre beer per day, because in Bavaria beer is specified as "basic food". It´s tradition. Today the comrads in Afghanistan are allowed to drink 1 litre a day, not during their 12 hour shift, but afterwards in their sparetime, when they have no guard-services. So noone ist drinking during his worktime!
By the way: The one million litres are not drunken by the soldiers alone, but also by the policemen, the civil-workers, the press-reporters and comrads of other nations in the camps, who visit the germans for a drink.

Australians:
Congratulations! The Australians are impressive drinkers, it´s yearly seen on the Oktoberfest in Munich, when hordes of australians come into the beertents and drink untill they are not able even to talk anymore. But you must accept, that the country with the most breweries in the world has to defend its role as first-class drinkers all over the world. But rank 2 is acceptable for your aussies Smile.

Greets, MLRS

"Kaliber statt Spoiler!"

dj

Rep: 157.5
votes: 9

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:00 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the Germans do take their beer very seriously. lol In America that would make a good selling point to help drive recruitment. 2 free beers per day? Not bad.

What will the Revolution Change? - Youth Brigade

Bungarra

Rep: 137.6

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:12 am Post subject: Aussie Beers Secret Formula Reply with quote

But rank 2 is acceptable for your aussies ????????????????

Come on man I reckon we beat you squareheads by a fairies fart.

Bloody good beer though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll only be too happy to test you blokes out if and when I travel Your neck of the woods probably be as close as the Melbourne Cup was this year

Fosters have a secret forula I'd like to share.....de ja veux any body

ATT61338.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  63.94 KB
 Viewed:  6105 Time(s)

ATT61338.jpg

You know if you don't live it.... You can't give it.

Bungarra

Rep: 137.6

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:29 am Post subject: Afghanny Brew Reply with quote

Don't suppose you fellas are drinking this stuff over there?????????????

binlager.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  97.33 KB
 Viewed:  6091 Time(s)

binlager.jpg

You know if you don't live it.... You can't give it.

Pzt_Rasalom

Rep: 0.1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:56 am Post subject: Reply with quote

to answer the question of how much beer the C17 would take its about 89000 litres of beer. fair few trips in that 1000000 litres!!!

Any fool with a fast pair of hands can take a tiger by the balls. But it takes a hero to keep squeezing....

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess

Jump to: