Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1231
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
Stocktov

Rep: 8

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:20 pm Post subject: Night Actions. Is it really that much different than day? Reply with quote

Is the detection distance reduced between the two?   My experience is that it isn't really that much different.  Units seem to see each other at about the same distances.  Comments?  Is it cool window dressing or is there something in the program that take into account the two?

squadleader_id

Rep: 53.2
votes: 7

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:43 pm Post subject: Re: Night Actions. Is it really that much different than da Reply with quote

From what I read at the Matrix forums (or was it CSO?) the exe handles this.
In CC3 West Front night battle scenarios, you have a darkened map and a special "night elements data file".
In CCTLD this now handled by the exe (the elements data calculations and darkening the map graphics)...plus we get very nice night effects (crude effects by today's game standards...but a huge step for the aging CC engine!).

schrecken

Rep: 195
votes: 15

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:56 pm Post subject: Re: Night Actions. Is it really that much different than da Reply with quote

LOS is reduced greatly.

Move and Sneak your troops if you don't want them to be seen.

Of course if you run around like girls waving your hands in the air and squealing  Move Fast)... you will be spotted.

Units within the flare and mortar burst area are more easily spotted by units outside the circle of light.

This is particularly evident when you drop a few mortar rounds on likely AT gun emplacement positions... you see the gun appear briefly after the explosion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Dima

Rep: 87.3
votes: 16

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:30 am Post subject: Re: Night Actions. Is it really that much different than da Reply with quote

2Stocktov
Quote:
Is the detection distance reduced between the two?   My experience is that it isn't really that much different

correct, there is no difference in detection between night and day battles Smile.

2squadleader_id
Quote:
plus we get very nice night effects (crude effects by today's game standards...but a huge step for the aging CC engine!).

but they are only "cosmetic" effects..

2schrecken
Quote:
LOS is reduced greatly.

yeah, right now it's 140+m (clear LOS).
who needs NVG with such LOS during nights Wink.

Quote:
This is particularly evident when you drop a few mortar rounds on likely AT gun emplacement positions... you see the gun appear briefly after the explosion.

no, you see the gun explodes briefly after explosion  Laughing .

schrecken

Rep: 195
votes: 15

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:22 am Post subject: Re: Night Actions. Is it really that much different than da Reply with quote

Dima

Don't spam the post

It was a legitimate question answered truthfully.

You are a goof, so go away.

Mods please remove the spam.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Therion

Rep: 27.4
votes: 4

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:03 am Post subject: Re: Night Actions. Is it really that much different than da Reply with quote

Screens, both of you.

Wonderland - my mod for Armored Brigade

Killing for peace is like fucking for orgasm.

Dima

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 1:00 pm Post subject: Re: Night Actions. Is it really that much different than da Reply with quote

Quote:
Screens, both of you.

i obey, my master Smile.

dima told
Quote:
yeah, right now it's 140+m (clear LOS).

at night this team has clear LOS at 133m even from 5m elevation through 11m elevation - so truth Smile.

schrecken told
Quote:

it appears to be false - my team had clear LOS on highlighted spot where gun was - no gun was visible :

schrecken told
Quote:
Units within the flare and mortar burst area are more easily spotted by units outside the circle of light.

it appears to be false:
they started shooting at my team at 158m thru the hedges (i couldn't shoot back)

but when i tried to highlight them with explosions i couldn't spot them although i could spot team not highlighted by explosion Smile.

dima told
Quote:
no, you see the gun explodes briefly after explosion

it appears to be truth - gun exploded but wasn't visible to my teams with clear LOS although was highlighted.

Quote:
It was a legitimate question answered truthfully.

what can i say... Wink

ll_Alexis_ll

Rep: 14

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 1:45 pm Post subject: Re: Night Actions. Is it really that much different than da Reply with quote

...that you surely have better things to do than waging your little personal war vs S3T/Matrix?

Seeing all your comments for the last three months I believe you no longer like CC.... face the fact and move on.

ronson

Rep: 36.7
votes: 5

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:02 am Post subject: Re: Night Actions. Is it really that much different than da Reply with quote

I think Dima has demonstrated his point rather well, its hard to comprehend how a team could be seen at night through 2 hedgerows, let alone be shot at....

I quite like the game myself, but the night vision is one of the areas that could do with some improvement as the distance for spotting is too far IMO.

This shows itself in the Pegusus and Merville battles.........I defy anyone to get a reasonable result in the first turn as allied, playing against a human opponent of course. When in fact both these objectives were completely taken in darkness early on the 6th as everyone knows.
It could be argued that the Pegusus part of the operation was the best part of the Airbourne attack, where almost everything went to plan.

I don't wish to be seen as taking sides, as I stated I quite like TLD and think it has some very good features, however having said this I would like to remind people of some of the excellent ideas that Dima has introduced in his TRSM mod....

Take the difference in the mortar fire in TRSM as opposed to TLD, it is not possible to take out ATG with mortars in TRSM easily,  they have a supressive effect rather than destructive, the same holds true for open top vehicles and light armour, in TRSM it is almost impossible to destroy these with mortar fire static or moving.

Unfortunately in TLD we seem to have returned to the old CC5 system of 'guided' mortar firing and its possible to destroy guns with mortar fire, I actually killed an ATG inside a Bunker on one of the Omaha beaches with a mortar shell Shocked , which shoudn't be possbile at all, and half tracks etc. fall victim to them far too easily too.

With an indirect weapon such as a medium mortar, it would be almost impossible to hit a moving target when fired alone or in pairs, and very difficult to hit a small static target such as a gun.

It's pity this system wasn't used in TLD as it is a far more realistic portrayal of the effects of limited mortar support.

Cheers
Ronson
PS the mortar support I refer to above is the mortar within the active roster NOT the off board support, which is a different beast altogether Wink

GR member Ronson1  ac 4247033

squadleader_id

Rep: 53.2
votes: 7

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:27 am Post subject: Re: Night Actions. Is it really that much different than da Reply with quote

The crude but nicely done "cosmetic" night effects are nice though...after all these years without proper night battles for CC Smile
Anyway, what would be a more realistic spotting distance for night conditions in Normandy? Half the current value in CCTLD?

I agree with Ronson about mortars...it's fun to take out ATGs with laser guided bombs at first...but it gets old fast  Very Happy
BTW, it could be just me...but using the Beta Patch...mortar shells seem to be less deadly vs ATGs...but after 5-6 rounds you still usually score a kill.

Dima

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:08 pm Post subject: Re: Night Actions. Is it really that much different than da Reply with quote

Quote:
...that you surely have better things to do than waging your little personal war vs S3T/Matrix?

i can do multiple tasks same time Wink.

Quote:
Seeing all your comments for the last three months I believe you no longer like CC.... face the fact and move on.

im trying doing my best for all of you - my fans Smile.

what have you, ll_Alexis_ll, personally done to make CC, and TLD in particular, better?

2squadleader_id
Quote:
The crude but nicely done "cosmetic" night effects are nice though...after all these years without proper night battles for CC

yes, indeed, and AFAIK noone argues on this Smile.

Quote:
Anyway, what would be a more realistic spotting distance for night conditions in Normandy?

it was full moon period on June 6th, so should be like 60m.

Quote:
Half the current value in CCTLD?

almost  Laughing

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat The Longest Day

Jump to: