Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1258
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
SpecFive

Rep: 18.5

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:58 pm Post subject: Unusual AI Events in Close Combat TLD Reply with quote

I recently purchased Close Combat: TLD and have been working my way through the grand campaign as the Allies.  Although, it
is easy to find fault or criticize certain aspects of the game, I am thoroughly enjoying myself. The AI is incredibly stupid at times, but
anyone who has read extensively about tactical combat knows that stupidity is no stranger to reality in war.

Sometimes it is frustrating when your troops don't follow orders when you have made what you think are winning tactical moves.  The fog of war and all of its attendant aspects are what make this game the most interesting.  Sometimes the Ai comes up with
hilarious moves of its own.  As I was attacking a German force defending a small village, I knocked out a light tank. One of its
surviving crew members jumped out and instead of hitting the ground or running for cover - he literally ran around in circles in front
of his disabled tank while my forces were pressing their attack.  He never threw up his hands to surrender - he just kept running
in front of his tank like a crazy man until he was eventually shot down.

In another scenario a German Panzer Grenadier force was counter attackiing a village I was defending.  The lead German unit advanced quickly towards my troops hunkered down in "ambush" mode.  The unit suddenly stopped to appraise its advance, but
one man in this unit kept going on his own - literally running towards my lines by himself.  No shots were yet fired.  A German voice
barked: "Get back here!" - but Fritz kept coming.  As he approached ambush range, one of my squad members fired a single shot
and the German immediately threw up his hands and surrendered.  I thought he was a fanatical, Nazi berserker pressing the assault, and instead he was a coward who couldn't wait to surrender.  For all of the AI's failure at tactical competence, I at least have to
give the programmer's credit for modelling unprecedented aspects of soldier combat behavior.  This is one of things I love about
this game and I never played another that comes close to its ability to model reality in combat

These seem to be rare, random events.  I was wondering if anyone else noticed similar or other funny behavior patterns.

Bungarra

Rep: 137.6
votes: 5

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:23 pm Post subject: Re: Unusual AI Events in Close Combat TLD Reply with quote

Watch out Spec5

I can see years of addiction coming on

You know if you don't live it.... You can't give it.

SpecFive

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:08 pm Post subject: Re: Unusual AI Events in Close Combat TLD Reply with quote

I've already got the addiction - but then I have been war gaming in one way or another
since 1966 when I started playing Tactics II, and Panzer Blitz board games.  Back then
computer games were almost like pong - very simplistic graphics whereby you moved coarsely drawn military symbols on a very crude outliine of a map.  Then in 1967 I joined the U.S. Army
and instead playing war games, I was actually in a real war game when I was promptly
shipped to Viet Nam in time for the 1968 Tet Offensive.  Quite a shock for an 18 year old
kid just out of high school and raised in the country.  After serving my first tour, I was having
"so much fun", I volunteered for a second tour. I had adapted myself the the nasty, hot, tropical
climate and got used to the fireworks. At the end of my second tour - I volunteered for a
third tour - but the personnel sergeant looked at me sideways when I told him I didn't want
to go home, and he said:  "Son, I think you've been here too long already" and denied my request.

Bungarra

Rep: 137.6
votes: 5

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:53 am Post subject: Re: Unusual AI Events in Close Combat TLD Reply with quote

Your personell sergeant was obviously trained in observation, could probably see some signs you couldn't

Am going to Vietnam in Oct

have an ex vet mate like yourself

Just wants to go back and get rid of some gremlins

I will be there to catch him just in case he falls.

Then we are going to enjoy their beautiful country

Esky (cooler) in the back of course.

Cheers mate good gaming

You know if you don't live it.... You can't give it.

SpecFive

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:50 am Post subject: Re: Unusual AI Events in Close Combat TLD Reply with quote

I have read that the Viet Nam tourist industry has organized cultural and even battlefield tours
for ex Viet Nam War veterans.  When we were there they wanted us to leave.  Now that we are gone
they want us to come back! (Just to visit of course and spend a few dollars!)

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess

Jump to: